Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situations that make you uncomfortable

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When you haven't seen somebody for a while and they ask "What have you been up to?". What am I supposed to say? Am i supposed to list my achievements and ailments since I last seen you? Would like to know of my last holiday? Why would you care? Mind your own business. There is a reason I haven't seen you in a while. "Nothing much" is my official answer.

Happens at least once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

I always seem to get sexy optometrists which makes it even more awkward :D

I had to change because she would wear really low cut tops, my pupils would dilate and I'd get the wrong prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

When at a new job and you're sitting by yourself at lunch in the cafeteria.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Going into the McDonalds on Henry a Street for a cheeseburger and seeing a total scanger bint yell at her toddler child repeatedly to "shut the f*ck up" at the counter.

Delightful behaviour that I witnessed yesterday. With that sort of parenting, what chance has that child got?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

When you are shopping in a supermarket and you come across a woman who is the doing that... low level impatient annoyed sighing at her children it bother me so much I want to go to a different isle but sometime its really oblivious that you are moving away because of the person.

Before anyone eats my I know its hard shopping with children who are whining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

When the mother in law visits and she starts being all sanctimonious (as she does) and self righteous (as she is) and I have to past the 'bite your tongue' test....and occasionally, I fail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Nobody mention calling people the wrong name?

Equally when someone is calling you the wrong name and then you see the moment they realise they are calling you the wrong name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Any gathering that involves me having to make small talk with people I don't know.

Yep that would be weddings and funeral receptions, being put beside strangers at both. In fairness it would have been friends not family.

I just go to the funeral home/wake house now and avoid weddings unless they are family like the effin plague.

There must be a name for people like me/us. Anti social, shy or introverts. Doesn't matter it's how I feel that matters. Would never be rude though. Just do things the way that makes me feel as comfortable as possible.

Each to their own.

This ^^
    I haven't a bulls how to make small talk
    I especially find it hard as not being Irish I find the stuff Irish people want to talk about I have zero interest in
    As I've got older I've come to realize the same as you,avoid the above situations as much as possible and if it's truly unavoidable grin and bear it for as long as possible then get the hell out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Severe OCD with co-morbid health anxiety

Handshakes are the bane of my life :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

When you think the coast is clear so you let a massive fart and then someone approaches you out of the nowhere and starts talking to you.

LOL
    Made my day!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

When you're on the Dart and person facing you has their arm stretched out along the windowsill... your hand is too close to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I've had a pain in the groin area for the last few weeks so on Monday I went to the doctor.
    Turned out to be a damaged ligament.
    The doctor gave the family jewels a good going over and when he was finished, I pulled up my pants and said thanks.
    To which he replied "it was my pleasure":eek:
    Awkward!!!

Starers.

People who just sit fcuking staring at you, like gormless idiots.

Whaddya looking at???

I watched The Life of Brian a couple of weeks back.
    The next day I had one particular scene stuck in head and found myself saying a line from it all day long.

So, I was driving down an alley with the window down and as I was coming to a stop,a woman came around the corner exactly as the words "Bigus Dickus" came out of my mouth in a high pitched voice!

She just stared at me, all I could do was laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Somebody who draws attention to themselves as if to make an important point about a particular topic and end up only saying how they were at a particular cool vantage point seeing some event.

Any situation where I found myself among what are known as mostly a "Culturally curious" audience in marketing parlance: They don't care that much at all really for the subject at hand.

This one happened years ago.
    My mate and I were after having a few frames of snooker.
    I was absolutely shocking and could barely hit a ball.
    Needless to say, my mate thrashed me.

After,we said we'd go for a few pints.
    Only in the door of the pub and some guy goes to me "hows the snooker going?"
    I answers" f*cking terrible, I'm actually thinking about giving it up!"
    At the same time I'm wondering, who's this guy and how does he know about me and my snooker.
    I proceed with my rant.
    Yer man at this stage is just staring at me with his mouth open.
    I look to the side and my mate is nearly doubled over bursting his hole laughing.
    I then look around me and see John Higgins playing on the Telly.
    F*ck sake, yer man was on about the World Championships!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

When you return to your desk at work to find some a-hole sitting on your seat. When you have that awkward 'sorry, may I...? :) lols' and they respond with 'I kept it warm for you :) lols'.

Warm? That is ass-heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

When you're telling someone a story and their phone rings and your unfinished words are left hanging awkwardly in the air.

When someone who's overweight starts discussing their weight and no one else in the room is overweight.

When you go back to work after being sick and don't want to appear 100% healthy in case people thought you were lying.

When you go back to work after being sick and don't want to appear 100% healthy in case people thought know you were lying.

Fixed your post :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

When someone who's overweight starts discussing their weight and no one else in the room is overweight.

Or they start discussing their weight loss plans and someone feels obliged to jump in with "but you don't need to lose weight!"...when they obviously do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

When your in the toilet cubicle at work and either you or the person next to your is annihilating the porcelain. Then you leave the stall at the same time to wash your hands, both with heads down in deep concentration of the hand washing process, no words spoken.

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Or they start discussing their weight loss plans and someone feels obliged to jump in with "but you don't need to lose weight!"...when they obviously do.

Or else they look hurt if nobody says it. Been in that one recently.

Bambi985 wrote: »

Or when a fat person in your group is bitching about another person, calling them fat.

I'm wondering is anyone thinking the same as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Uncontrollable boner They all know and are looking at it and at me....no they're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Getting up to offer a seat on public transport to pregnant person. Someone else then sitting in the seat so you have to tell that person that the seat is not for them!

They don't know why I've just got up so it's not their fault that they sat down. Everyone ends up embarrassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

When you're introduced to someone (whose face you know all too well from seeing their photos on Facebook) and feel awkward, having stalked their profile numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭angiogoir

Work annual reviews!

RockDesk wrote: »
    Getting up to offer a seat on public transport to pregnant person. Someone else then sitting in the seat so you have to tell that person that the seat is not for them!

They don't know why I've just got up so it's not their fault that they sat down. Everyone ends up embarrassed.

During the week, I was sitting in my seat on the tube when, what seemed to me like, a mid-40+'s lady got on with a large suitcase. There were no seats so she stood. I noticed she had a bump and looked at her face to see if she was pregnant. She saw me look. From this, I drew the conclusion she was too old to be pregnant and that by offering the seat, and thus inferring pregnancy, might have of embarrassed her. I sat there, going over in my head wondering what to do. Offer and embarrass her; not offer and make her think I'm a prick.

Then a young fellow a few seats down looked over, stuck his neck out, was ready to offer but then recoiled. I was wondering was he now in the exact same conundrum I was in.

I knew my stop was next so I got up and stood next to the door so that she could sit down without any potential embarrassment on both our parts. The same guy say her moving to sit in my seat and got up, offering to mind her large bag as she sat (he wasn't a gratitude-junkie; he seemed genuine). At this point it was clear she was pregnant, it must have been a very late-in-life pregnancy. Of course he got a bucket-load of thanks and very-kind-of-yous whilst I got nothing (I didn't deserve any).

It was all very uncomfortable and I still don't know how I'd react in a future similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Since nobody has said it I must truly be alone
    .I actually hate traffic lights like that awkward your stopping cars and you have to walk across with people staring at you.I genuinely will go out of my way to avoid them. like I'd walk in the opposite direction cross when the roads quiet then walk back to where I was going haha my mates think I'm a fruit loop.there probably not wrong .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Flatmates having a party without telling you. And then having the "It would have been cool to have told me" chat.

THIS.

Advertisement