Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situations that make you uncomfortable

Options

Comments

jobr wrote: »
    The close proximity an optometrist gets to your face when having your eyes tested, I'm afraid to even breathe on them and feel so awkward and uncomfortable.

Attending conferences alone - always lovely if it's in a plush hotel etc but the breaks where you should be networking I generally run away to be by myself for a few minutes!

I always seem to get sexy optometrists which makes it even more awkward :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

At work when you're in the cubicle alone and the cleaner comes in and cleans everywhere but your cubicle.
    Their push on the door makes them realise you're in there letting you know that you and your busy hole are keeping them from finishing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Nope. Not so.

When one person wants to pay the entire bill and you'd prefer to pay half. That's pretty common.

Not really.

"I pay my way".

I know plenty of people with that attitude and it never makes them feel uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Not really.

"I pay my way".

I know plenty of people with that attitude and it never makes them feel uncomfortable.

And I know people who insist on being the ones to buy dinner and insist and insist and insist.

I don't mind the bill business. If someone insists then my response is "ok thanks". Other than that we split it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jackboy

This thing in Ireland where you kiss your female friends on the cheek to say goodbye. Why did we start this ****e, were not French. I just stick my hand straight out for a handshake like I do for my male friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

People that bitch about "peep's" they were just chatting away to like they were friends. See it in work a fair bit.

I always point it out to them Just to piss them off, tell them how low it sounds when the other person ain't there to defend themselves.

Suck it up all you Bitches out der.. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

jackboy wrote: »
    This thing in Ireland where you kiss your female friends on the cheek to say goodbye. Why did we start this ****e, were not French. I just stick my hand straight out for a handshake like I do for my male friends.

That's news to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When you're at the front of the traffic lights when they are Red, and you know that if you don't move 0.00001 seconds after turning Green, you will get more Horns in your ear that creates a Earthquake

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I always feel awkward telling someone they've lost weight. Even if I know they've been dieting and trying to lose weight, it still makes me feel awkward- like they're thinking "was I fcuking fat before or what?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why tell them?

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Why tell them?

To compliment them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

anna080 wrote: »
    To compliment them?

I lost a load of weight a few years ago and most people said something like ''you're looking really well!'' rather than mentioning the weight loss. I'm actually delighted to hear someone say that I've lost weight though, so you probably won't insult someone who is trying to lose weight by saying it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Eating when walking down the street.

Opening a bag of crisps in a pub and placing them in the middle of the table.

People who talk to a dog or a baby as if they understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Someone holds the door open for me out of courtesy but I'm not actually at the door yet and I don't run to catch it as is kind of implicitly expected.

I hold the door open if I have someone right behind me. If I have someone coming down the corridor, I push the door wide as I walk through it so it doesn't close for a few moments, but I don't just stand there and hold it in the expectation that they'll be so grateful that they'll start running so as not to discommode me further.

Just one of those awkward little ways politeness can backfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

performance reviews in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Or when you lean in to kiss someone on the cheek and you miss, and then just end up awkwardly rubbing cheeks together.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This doesn't really apply any more to me but;

When in hotels and getting room service, do you tip them?, do you not?

I used to give them a few sheckles years ago if I had any, but nowadays, 99 times out of 100 when I'm in the U.K., I won't have any cash on me at all for my entire trip, so have nothing to give them.
    Some hotels allow you to put tips on your bill that you sign upon receipt of your feast, but most don't.

It used to make me feel really awkward, but now, I couldn't care less, I'm hungry, give me my food and f**k off!

Same when they offer to bring your bags to your room! "No, feck off, I can manage myself with these big heavy bags!!" When in reality it's just to avoid that awkward situation when they're on their way out of your room, are they looking for a few quid, or are they just really nice staff?

Hotels can be awkward places, especially when hotel staff are in your room while your also there!!

Always feel awkward when someone asks me directions to somewhere. It could be five minutes down the road and I'll still fumble and mumble as if they've just asked me how to get to Outer Mongolia and back again. I always feel like I've told them arsed ways.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Handshakes? So you are French.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When the dentist is really close to your face and you can feel the chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Birthdays,

Awkward when people insist on opening presents in front of a load of people.

Birthday cakes in restaurants are ridiculously awkward and gets worse with smaller groups.

Hate people asking waiters for pictures when they are having meals. Made 100 times worse when they call them back to retake because they don't like the 1st one. Just eat your F**kin dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Situations that make you uncomfortable

When I am arrested for a crime, and I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MadamRazz

When someone, who isnt a really close friend or family, does something nice for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dead Tribute Banned

When you're in a busy cafe at lunchtime with a number system whereby you order then stand aside waiting for your number to be called. I feel so awkward standing there and even more awkward when they yell out number 56!! and you've to make your way through the crowd to grab your foot-long.

When you offer someone a seat on public transport and they say no thanks and everyone just stares at you.

When you're on a train and the dining cart goes by just as you're reaching for your book in your bag so they stop cos it looks like you want something and you mumble no, I was.. just.. eh.. book.. cringe

When you call in sick but were really just hungover and the next day everyone keeps asking how you're feeling and if you're better. You've to feign some illness and say bullsh*t like not 100% but thanks. Feel like screaming F*CK OFF, you know as well as I do that it's alcohol related!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Having a scale and polish at the dentist's and she decides to spend some time using her hook tool/torture device to clean out my inflamed wisdom tooth. There are no words for the discomfort. Fcuk me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Colleague arrived into work this am and declared that she "wasn't going to tolerate any negativity" today, and has been passive aggressive to others about not sticking to her rule. Thing is, it's not a happy job and minute by minute bad news/difficult conversation/news have to be delivered or heard. So our choices today, not tell her and get evils from her tom or say and be accused of destroying the purity of her workplace. Uncomfy!

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Speaking of dentists. My dental hygienist really gets stuck in there when cleaning your teeth but counter balances it by pushing her boobs to your head.
    It's too much to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Seeing someone you kinda know from school or a mutual friend of a friend walking down the street and you do that awkward half stop "Ah how's it going" spiel. You wanna bail out of it and continue walking but they also slow down and all of a sudden it's an awkward start, stop, start, stop dance until you reach that distance to just keep walking comfortably..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dead Tribute Banned

Bikini wax.. speaks for itself:eek::pac:

Advertisement