Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situations that make you uncomfortable

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

When you accidently send : "good night xxx" on a text to a grumpy builder who fixed your bathroom instead of your other half ...

That's just good sense. He'll be around to fix your next problem ahead of the rest.
    He won't forget you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I work in a call centre and of course at the end of every call there's the usual 'anything else I can do for you?' to which NEARLY.EVERY.IDIOT.REPLIES 'do you have tonight's lotto numbers?'

Cue some canned laughter and the customer pissing themselves laughing while I want to throw them off a cliff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

My brother got married recently, and they actually did it so right. They got married in a big room in a hostel (of all places!), in the middle of the countryside, I think the ceremony couldn't have lasted more than 15 minutes or so. Then a party in a big marquee on the hostel grounds, BYOB, barbecued piggy, all self-serve (even the top table.) Very few kids - my son and their son were the only two there, and they both went home early. Everything home-made and hand-made in terms of decorations etc. Just all so relaxed and chilled and lovely. 170 people there, but actually very few extended family ... they only invited the cousins etc who are actually in their lives, the 170 people were mostly people they know through sports etc. Plenty of aunts/uncles were miffed over their kids not being invited, a few didn't turn up over it, and they certainly weren't missed! If I ever got married, I'd love a day just like it.

This sounds bloody great in fairness !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When you come home after a long day out doing X and you step through the door and immediately get interrogated with what you were doing, how it was etc etc. Only the man can do this but he understands that you're usually not too keen on having a talk after a long day and a drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

When you start a new job and have to navigate the route to the canteen alone and then just sit there thinking why the **** did I quit the last job.

When your kid goes fuppin mental on a plane and nothing calms her down..

When you stop the car to talk to someone but accidentally roll down the wrong window. Happened yesterday. Look like a twat

When the woman next to you on public transport starts breast feeding and you're sat at the window seat

Bumping into people you can't stand.

List is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

When you are on a crowded last bus full of young ones late at night. They are saying things similar to 'Lioke, the whole of south Dublin was in the Palace tonight'

Young ones that look like they got out of the beauty salon without leaving a tip, and with really low plunging necklines, leaving the fellas not knowing where to look... :o

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ah another one, when you're walking on a street and the person coming towards you moves out of the way but you move at the same time in the same direction.
    You both laugh and go whoops and then you both move again in the same direction and then the awkward laugh starts until you've both grasped the notion of waiting for the other person to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When your kid enjoys some certain sports and you have to stick around at the training with a bunch of other parents, which often results in horribly awkward chitchat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

bear1 wrote: »
    Ah another one, when you're walking on a street and the person coming towards you moves out of the way but you move at the same time in the same direction.
    You both laugh and go whoops and then you both move again in the same direction and then the awkward laugh starts until you've both grasped the notion of waiting for the other person to move.

Happened to me coming out of the subway station in Manhattan a few years ago, got into the awkward shuffle with some hipster looking dude, he laughed and yelled "we're dancing!", grabbed me by the hips and swung me around for a few seconds, then went on his merry way. I love New York.

• Advertisement

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Happened to me coming out of the subway station in Manhattan a few years ago, got into the awkward shuffle with some hipster looking dude, he laughed and yelled "we're dancing!", grabbed me by the hips and swung me around for a few seconds, then went on his merry way. I love New York.

Great way to handle that. I'm a man and it usually happens with other men so I'd say that option is a no go hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

Currently visiting my in-laws.
    Writing this post from the bathroom.

I've been here ten minutes so they totally know I am taking a dump.

The walk back in to sit back down will be uncomfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

these thing as sound very trivial that annoy you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I'll start.

People who sit in the seat right beside you in public transport or public places. Particularly when there's a wealth of other seats available and they've decided to just go ahead and sit right THERE.

People who look over your shoulder whilst you're on your laptop / iphone in public places (I'm looking at you, nosy German woman)

People who watch you doing stuff in a general sense. People-watchers without a trace of subtlety.

Public arguments.

People who pull out their phones when you're mid-conversation with them and start replying to whatsapp messages / checking their facebook etc. Never know where to look.

Going to pay in a beauty salon and realising I have no cash so can't leave a tip.

When men slyly stare at your chest/legs and think you can't see

When the bill arrives on a first date

When someone decides to get up and sing a song in a social situation (pub, house party etc) and they're a crap singer but you have to pretend they're great.

Funeral removals.

When you're checking out in a supermarket and have to tell the cashier "no, I don't want to help find a cure for cancer".

When someone makes an attempt at humour but it's really not funny so you fake-laugh in a really obvious way and *awkward silence*

When someone brings their new baby into the office and you have to pretend you know how to entertain/hold a baby and get completely stonewalled by said baby.

Why wouldn't you want a man checking your baps ? That's what they're there for !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This happens way too often:

Person: "Hey how are you?"
    Me: "I'm good thanks you?"
    Person: *no response*

?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

When men slyly stare at your chest/legs and think you can't see

When the bill arrives on a first date

Grand. So you'll gleefully get the knockers out on display, to the point of taking our eyes out, but if you think that they have come into our gaze then men are bastards.
    At the same time, probably having used the flaunting of same flesh to corner us on a date, you expect us to pay. Feminism gone mad.
    If we're paying for the meal, you can be fecking sure we're going to want a return on investment, at least in terms of perving licence.
    That said, maybe I'm just too much of a gentleman to understand :P

Grand. So you'll gleefully get the knockers out on display, to the point of taking our eyes out, but if you think that they have come into our gaze then men are bastards.
    At the same time, probably having used the flaunting of same flesh to corner us on a date, you expect us to pay. Feminism gone mad.
    If we're paying for the meal, you can be fecking sure we're going to want a return on investment, at least in terms of perving licence.
    That said, maybe I'm just too much of a gentleman to understand :P

Any excuse eh Trump?
    Let me repeat myself lest we jump to the usual conclusions
    I haven't worn a low cut top since about 2010. I dress pretty conservatively but will wear mid length dresses and skirts in summer because ya know, 30 degrees and all. Still with the tits and leg glances mid conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Any excuse eh Trump?
    Let me repeat myself lest we jump to the usual conclusions

Ah sure that's worse. you're not even getting them out and still expecting him to pay.

Perhaps if you got them out a bit more visible, he wouldn't have to look as intently at them in order to make out whether or not you've a nice pair. He might be able to make an assessment based off a fleeting glance that you wouldn't notice. I mean, you wouldn't expect him to buy a used car without at least giving the tyres an oul' kick.

You're both on the date to check each other out. You're checking his wallet by making him pay and he's checking out the goods as best he can.

Or maybe you have ginormous ones or something.......I think we're gonna need a photo....

And the thread has started to descend..

Right. Will ignore that nonsense.

More uncomfortable moments:

Scrolling through your Sent emails the morning after a session to discover you were a bit generous with the aul xxx's in replying to some work emails.

Eating spaghetti in public. Just can't seem to do it without turning into a bolognese-faced dribbling mess.

Being introduced to someone and forgetting their name less than five minutes later. Especially uncomfortable when it's a work contact that I need to follow up on and I can't remember if it was John or Andy...or was it Sean?

Chatting away to a stranger EG a friend of a friend down the pub or taxi driver etc who suddenly reveals some pretty extreme/idiotic opinions EG a Trump supporter or someone very obviously racist but I don't know them well enough to respond honestly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

When women take a sly look at my groin region, eyes up here ladies. :rolleyes:

Guilty sorry.

But men still look at my chest area all the time. WTF. but maybe my face is ugly :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ppl look up and down all the time. It's just measuring ppl up. Women do it women. Men do it to men. Women do it to men and men do it to women. It's not necessarily sexual. It's often due to the ones attire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

AllForIt wrote: »
    Ppl look up and down all the time. It's just measuring ppl up. Women do it women. Men do it to men. Women do it to men and men do it to women.
    Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it,
    Lets do it..........
    Cole Porter.
    They don't write 'em like that anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

People who sit in the seat right beside you in public transport or public places. Particularly when there's a wealth of other seats available and they've decided to just go ahead and sit right THERE.
    I do that frequently because **** other passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

When you're walking towards somebody and you don't know whether to salute them or not. If you walk past without saluting and they salute, you feel snobby. If you salute and they don't, you feel like a moron. If both people say hi or God forbid stop, then a painstaking conversation is inevitable.

It could be a friend of friend, a person from your old class in primary school or even the local butcher. In any case, I f**king hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Sex scenes on TV when you are watching TV.....with the parents. Surely number 1 ?? :D

This. I'm down with my old pair this weekend, and we were sitting around after the news. Bridesmaids came on, and there was a sex scene at the start. I immediately pick up the newspaper and start studying the horse racing cards of races that happened this afternoon. My Father then always utters the following line, "there's romance on the telly". Ground swallow me up.

I'm 36.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

People who look over your shoulder whilst you're on your laptop / iphone in public places

I worked as a receptionist for about a year after I left school. I loved that job. The boss was really old fashioned but nice and after I left, he gave me a summer job every year when I was in college.

But he use to call me into his office and recite letters he'd want me to type up for him. A few times, he came out while I was typing it up and he'd stand behind me and announce to the rest of the office "look at her, she hates it when someone's watching her type! Ah look she hates it! Is she gonna make a mistake?" :pac: I use to stop and say "I'm not typing while you're standing there" :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

This. I'm down with my old pair this weekend, and we were sitting around after the news. Bridesmaids came on, and there was a sex scene at the start. I immediately pick up the newspaper and start studying the horse racing cards of races that happened this afternoon. My Father then always utters the following line, "there's romance on the telly". Ground swallow me up.

I'm 36.

Incongruent username

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

thelad95 wrote: »
    I work in a call centre and of course at the end of every call there's the usual 'anything else I can do for you?' to which NEARLY.EVERY.IDIOT.REPLIES 'do you have tonight's lotto numbers?'

Cue some canned laughter and the customer pissing themselves laughing while I want to throw them off a cliff!

work in a call centre myself another one that's really awkward is when they start telling you about their personal issues, health problems, family problems. i always feel like i'm really patronizing with the whole "sorry to hear that" routine, i mean it's not like you actually really care. awkward why do people share such personal information with a stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

work in a call centre myself another one that's really awkward is when they start telling you about their personal issues, health problems, family problems. i always feel like i'm really patronizing with the whole "sorry to hear that" routine, i mean it's not like you actually really care. awkward why do people share such personal information with a stranger.

Yeah there is no need for it. My wife left me recently for the very same reason.

Advertisement