Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Situations that make you uncomfortable

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Being out in town, and then realising it's pride day, nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Being out in town, and then realising it's pride day, nightmare

I thought getting caught by Nazis would have been a more uncomfortable experience for you Anne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Zemuppet wrote: »
    I thought getting caught by Nazis would have been a more uncomfortable experience for you Anne.

Well at least I got a free haircut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Similarly, I was walking from a car park to shop door and a young woman asked me to donate to a cause. I'll be honest, I just said 'no thanks' without checking what it was for.
    She shouted at me "so whats your excuse?" as I walked away.

It was a while ago and I was young-ish but if she did it to me now I'd be straight back to her and creating a scene in the car-park.
    It's not right trying to bully people into donating to charities. If you want to donate, fine, if you don't fine too.

Cheeky ****er! Next time tell her you think she looks like the type to pocket it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

I work part time in a shop and whenever someone's card declines due to insufficient funds it's always horribly awkward.

I usually blame the machine to fill the empty silence.

Um, this happened me 3x on Friday and I have sufficient funds. It's not always to with the balance.

Sometimes, the bank puts a hold on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

osarusan wrote: »
    Bambi985 wrote: »
    When men slyly stare at your chest/legs and think you can't see
    Yeah, sorry about that. I can't help myself.

I think you can see - so can I continue looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

This post has been deleted.

Nerd problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Not an awful lot. Erm. Giving my condolences to the family of a dead person is definitely one of them. I was at a wake a few months ago and I hadn't a clue what to do or say. So I hugged, squeeezed hands and said "I'm really very sorry for your loss".

When I was single the end of first dates was sometimes awkward. If I liked the man then I would try to be all easygoing and relaxed about meeting up again. If I didn't it was worse. Oh actually dates that weren't going so well caused me to feel a sense of urgency to get away.

Strangers who have no boundaries. You know the ones. Within ten minutes of meeting they have their life story told. Please don't mistake my empathy for a vessel in to which you pour your crap.

Not really awkward ones but you reminded me of a few wakes I attended.
    A few weeks ago a work colleague's father died so was doing the shake hands with the family routine.
    Came to my work colleague and went to kiss her on the cheek but we both turned the same way.... then we turned the opposite way and eventually back and we end up kissing each other on the lips:eek:
    We both then start laughing.:pac:

A few months back a mates father died and I was shaking his brothers hand and I blurts out "thanks for coming" :confused:

A few years back at another wake with some friends, we were shaking hands with the deceased's widow when my friend's phone rang.
    Guess what the ringtone was!!
    That dance song that goes "you'll never see me again".
    Cue some chuckling from both family and friends. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When your an absolute legend at bagging up your groceries, and there's a spotty little kid there from the local team expecting you to let them pack your groceries for you, and your not having a bar of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Attending a CPD course without anybody else from the office... fine until.... coffee break!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seeing someone you kinda know as you enter the supermarket, you stop have the little awkward conversation before going on your way.

You then pass them in every aisle as you go around the shop...do you acknowledge them every time? Just pass by? Or pretend to be looking at stuff on the shelf?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Heckler wrote: »
    Gotta be removals.

Especially if you only know one member of the family. You walk up and face a line of maybe 5 or 6 people. The person you know is in the middle. Even worse when the person in front of you offering condolences decides to stop and chat with the person you're about to move on to.

You're left standing in front of a complete mourning stranger.

I knew this was gonna happen recently so I just called to the house earlier in the day to pay my respects in a more personal manner.

I still cringe every time I remember the time I got off the train in a strange town, got directions, raced into the funeral parlour, circled the coffin three times, shook hands with various mourners, the priest, the undertaker, the cleaner and possibly the corpse before eventually finding the one person there I knew who I wanted to give my condolences to.

I now wait outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Being in a really loud pub with a band nearby- my idea of absolute hell. I never understood the appeal of shouting until your hoarse and necking back pints until 3am in a variety of pubs and clubs and somehow calling that "having the craic". I'm perfectly at home in a quiet café with friends or even a quiet corner of a pub having decent conversation. People may call me weird but I'm ok with that. The older you get the more you know what you want and screaming over dance music until the early hours is not my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Being in a group that's bitching about someone. I always feel uncomfortable about it and tend to stay quiet or else I'll end up devil's advocating for them and that will just annoy the group further. Meeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bambi985 wrote: »
    When the bill arrives on a first date

This could only be uncomfortable if you're hoping not to pay your share.

Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Well at least I got a free haircut

9ae3949fcf9c1bfd1222c0bd80b9f6ef.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Pissing in public urinals. The ones with partitions are fine but in work we only have 3 and they're practically on top of each other.

People standing outside shops looking for money.

Taking a jondom off and then realising there's no nearby bin.

When you think the coast is clear so you let a massive fart and then someone approaches you out of the nowhere and starts talking to you.

Weddings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Zebra3 wrote: »
    This could only be uncomfortable if you're hoping not to pay your share.

Otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

Nope. Not so.

When one person wants to pay the entire bill and you'd prefer to pay half. That's pretty common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Ardillaun wrote: »
    Nerd problems.

I freak out when people touch my monitor ! I don't understand why people need to touch it , I can see perfectly where your pointing and 2 go grab with something to wipe it clean with :P

Being in a really loud pub with a band nearby- my idea of absolute hell. I never understood the appeal of shouting until your hoarse and necking back pints until 3am in a variety of pubs and clubs and somehow calling that "having the craic". I'm perfectly at home in a quiet café with friends or even a quiet corner of a pub having decent conversation. People may call me weird but I'm ok with that. The older you get the more you know what you want and screaming over dance music until the early hours is not my cup of tea.

Whilst I don't mind moving bars and have dewing drinks , I too cannot stand some bars blasting music and you can't even hear the person in front of you so you end up shouting...

I always wondered why they do this and a barman told me once it is because when the music is louder people speak less and drink more so it's a trick they use

Not sure if it's true but it's bloody annoying cause I always end up leaving this bars myself cause I can't enjoy it

• Advertisement

Um, this happened me 3x on Friday and I have sufficient funds. It's not always to with the balance.

Sometimes, the bank puts a hold on the card.

Had this in the offy getting drunk
    my card declined 3 times and she was just staring at me ,
    I knew full well I had enough money in the account because I was just paid so I said does the card looked damaged (she prob thinking I'm just making ****e up) but I was serious maybe the pin is acting up

Anywhere ask her can she type the number , which she did and it went through first time.

She seems so surprised and was like oh maybe the machine is acting up

Whilst it wasn't awkward for me , I think she felt awkward

CArd stills works perfect to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Being on a public place with people around when someone you know who is very loud comes to chat with you and everyone can hear the conversation.

Bumping into someone along the aisles of a supermarket and then bumping into them again. Then avoiding them by aisles hopping.

Someone you know is behind you at the checkout in a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Impromptu singing. I don't care if the person can actually sing, if you burst into a song and expect everyone to stop talking and/or join in, I'm not staying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Getting a big food/coffee stain on a white top or dress five minutes before an important work meeting

Accidentally spitting on an acquaintance while you're talking to them

The check-in queue for a Ryanair or EasyJet flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

People who I barely know hugging me. Find it very superficial to get physically close to someone you don't know very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

The close proximity an optometrist gets to your face when having your eyes tested, I'm afraid to even breathe on them and feel so awkward and uncomfortable.

Attending conferences alone - always lovely if it's in a plush hotel etc but the breaks where you should be networking I generally run away to be by myself for a few minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Falling asleep on public transport and after a snooze realizing you drooled all over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

When you go to meet friends for drinks, but they haven't arrived yet and you're left speaking to other people in the friendship group who you've nothing really to say to.
    I'm just the worst for awkward silences. I can't cope with them and always say "sure ya, that's it".... and make it ten times worse.

When you are on a crowded last bus full of young ones late at night. They are saying things similar to 'Lioke, the whole of south Dublin was in the Palace tonight'

Young ones that look like they got out of the beauty salon without leaving a tip, and with really low plunging necklines, leaving the fellas not knowing where to look... :o

For me, this 'affluent' South Doblin accent is the best form of contraception. :pac:

• Advertisement

Lying in the dentists chair, trying to avoid looking right up their nose.

Telling bag packers at the checkout that you don't want them to pack your bags, then feeling guilty and giving them money to save their basket-weaving club anyway.

Queuing for food at a counter and realising you stepped too close to the customer in front, and then someone steps too close to you from behind, and winding up in a reluctant sandwich situation where any movement at all is going to give someone a thrill, and it's not you.

Becoming aware of how that chill air affected your....chest, and realizing thats why the guy across from you on the train is smiling.

When your OH tells you something is casual and so you turn up casual and everyone else is dressed to the nines and he thinks it's funny and you sit there, fuming, giving him the stink-eye, and telling people you actually scrub up quite nicely if given the heads up.

When you call your boss Dad at a meeting, in front of everyone. Not that I've ever done that.

Advertisement