Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

HBO looks like they're finished with regards to Boxing anyway, but Harold Lederman should have been replaced years ago. He is borderline clueless a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote:
    So Canelo getting 6 rds I can live with, but getting 7? The absolute corruption...

There were only four rounds in the fight that were tight enough to have any contention, they were 1, 3, 6 and 9. I gave 2 to each of them. You are definitely taking sides if you give them all to one fighter either way imo.

I'd have been very annoyed by a draw, giving Canelo the win is so far off it's crooked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Only commentators I take seriously are Andy Lee and Roy Jones. Could listen to them all night. Knowledgeable, insightful and of course have vast inside experience.

Andre Ward seems pretty knowledgeable too.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Sombrero50

What rounds can everyone agree on? Let's establish those first?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,979 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Sombrero50 wrote: »
    What rounds can everyone agree on? Let's establish those first?

I think there are only 2-3 rds that were clear, or kind of easy to award.

My card was posted here but I didn’t put a description of close/clear beside each rd..so I cannot recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I've just watched it again with no commentary. I have rounds 5, 7 and 8 close which the majority of those went to Canelo on the judges scorecards and i have GGG 115-113.
    What is bugging me the most is round 12, i have GGG 10-9 and for me it's not that much of a close round yet 2 judges have it for Canelo.
    I can get my head around a draw as there was a few close rounds but there's something clearly wrong where he's just gets 1 scorecard going his way out of 6 in 2 fights.

By the way its was a brilliant fight, absolutely loved it, they put it out all on the line both of them.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Andy Lee was on OTB this morning and he had Canelo winning, he seemed surprised that so many had GGG winning.

Andy Lee said he didn't score the fight, he just thought Canelo looked like the better boxer basically. I'd listen to Andy talk about boxing all day but not scoring the fight and then saying Canelo won it is a bit nonsensical.

Canelo KO
    Boooourns wrote: »
    Andy Lee said he didn't score the fight, he just thought Canelo looked like the better boxer basically. I'd listen to Andy talk about boxing all day but not scoring the fight and then saying Canelo won it is a bit nonsensical.

But I know what he meant. Many times I have watched a fight and not scored it, but I still have given a view on who I thought was the winner, hence my regular use of “over the 36 minutes of boxing I thought fighter A or B was better.”

But I do think, as a pundit giving his view he should be a little more invested in his audience, and provide an actual score..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

GGG KO
    Jason Quigley was also on OTB and scored it 115-113 for Canelo.

Are some still really trying to claim it was a robbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Canelo Points

Questioning the result and saying you felt Golovkin won doesn't necessarily mean you're screaming "robbery".

This sorta stuff is indicative of the hyperbolic bullsh1t seen thus far at times from both viewpoints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

GGG KO

Quigley of Golden Boy promotions? He's hardly calling it for Canelo!

GGG KO

Questioning the result and saying you felt Golovkin won doesn't necessarily mean you're screaming "robbery".

This sorta stuff is indicative of the hyperbolic bullsh1t seen thus far at times from both viewpoints.

If you were reading the thread, you'd be aware that the whole debate started with people claiming in the aftermath of the fight that GGG had been robbed, or that he had won clearly, rather than acknowledging that it was an extremely close fight or that a 115-113 card in favour of Canelo was hardly beyond the realms of possibility. That's the hyperbole.

Any person with have an ounce of wit or understanding of boxing has the sense to realise that the decision legitimately could have gone a few rounds either way and thus a narrow decision in favour of one fighter cannot possibly be construed as a robbery.

Do try to keep up there, chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Canelo Points
    If you were reading the thread...

Do try to keep up there, chief.

Oh I've read the thread and many others relating to the subject at hand don't you fret...

But ay fire ahead keep sniping away.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Any person with have an ounce of wit or understanding of boxing has the sense to realise that the decision legitimately could have gone a few rounds either way and thus a narrow decision in favour of one fighter cannot possibly be construed as a robbery.

That's your take on things. It can be robbery even in a close enough fight where a fighter is awarded rounds by a judge that he clearly didn't win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

I'm delighted that he's been picked up with ESPN seeing as HBO is on its last legs but it is disappointing you have to listen to that guy with the forehead that never stops shouting while Andre is there. ESPN could be onto something if they ditched the over dramatic nonsense. Hopkins and Floyd will never do analyst work due to other commitments but Ward is a fine option to settle on. One of the best boxing minds of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i often think there should be more draws in boxing in scenarios like this.
    this fight was very close i think everyone agrees.
    i think in close decisions where the judges dont agree...i.e. a split decision...that if theres not more than two points either side of a draw on any scorecard just call it a draw.
    i've explained that badly...but say if it was...
    115-113 to boxer A
    115-113 to boxer A
    115-113 to boxer B
    deem it a draw.

Canelo KO
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    i think in close decisions where the judges dont agree...i.e. a split decision...that if theres not more than two points either side of a draw on any scorecard just call it a draw.
    115-113 to boxer A
    115-113 to boxer A
    115-113 to boxer B
    deem it a draw.

Fights are fought to have winners. Nobody fights to draw. Nobody competes to draw...

I see your point, but there are only 12 rds, so there will be many examples of 7/5 scores or closer...

The judges are there to give their verdicts......they can draw if they like. There is already draws and mechanisms to see draws...no need to increase the likelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    walshb wrote: »
    Fights are fought to have winners. Nobody fights to draw. Nobody competes to draw...

I see your point, but there are only 12 rds, so there will be many examples of 7/5 scores or closer...

The judges are there to give their verdicts......they can draw if they like. There is already draws and mechanisms to see draws...no need to increase the likelihood.

I think there is an unwritten rule for judges to score every round to someone. There is rarely a fight where the judges score an even round.
    Sometimes I think it would be better if they scored really tight rounds as draws instead of trying to find reasons to award it to Boxer A or B.

Back in the 60's 70's a lot of rounds were scored as draws. Why did this change?

But I know what he meant. Many times I have watched a fight and not scored it, but I still have given a view on who I thought was the winner, hence my regular use of “over the 36 minutes of boxing I thought fighter A or B was better.”

But I do think, as a pundit giving his view he should be a little more invested in his audience, and provide an actual score..

You see i know what he meant as well, Canelo is the more rounded boxer, he's easier on the eye when it comes to defence, throwing combinations , he threw body shots and his power punches are flashier but that's a moot point when it comes to scoring the actual fight.
    GGG is clearly ageing and close to finishing his career while Canelo is clearly getting better and that was shown on the night bit i still had GGG edging it. As i said i have no real problem with the result as there was razor thin rounds but Canelo getting round 12 bugs me and i think we all know why he got it.

GGG KO
    I gave it to GGG but I have no problem with it being scored for Canelo. The two of them came out swinging and Canelo landed plenty on him, more in the the round and twice as many power punches according to compubox.

Punch stats aren't the only factor or course but I don't get this idea that only GGG could have won the round.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    Even eagle eye gave rd 12 to Canelo!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    115-113 to boxer A
    115-113 to boxer A
    115-113 to boxer B
    deem it a draw.

Not that I agree with you, but I once read in Boxing News that Argentina used to award draws in fights where the difference in the fighters scores was 3 points or less.

I can't find anything on Google about it, but it would make sense out of Carlos Monzon having 9 draws despite being an outstanding boxer.

I gave it to GGG but I have no problem with it being scored for Canelo. The two of them came out swinging and Canelo landed plenty on him, more in the the round and twice as many power punches according to compubox.

Punch stats aren't the only factor or course but I don't get this idea that only GGG could have won the round.
    Even eagle eye gave rd 12 to Canelo!

:D I've watched it twice, right after the bell rings for the start of the round GGG lands the cleanest punches of the round along with a huge uppercut, from there on it's exchanging punches, both throwing but getting blocked or missing. Canelo lands a few combinations, GGG lands his big jab and finishes the round with another few shots. It's a clear GGG round for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Canelo KO
    Canelo won the last round for me, but i thought he clearly lost the fight. Is Triple G capable of improving for the next fight? To some observers he is already on the slide. It's clear he needs to knock Canelo out to get the win next time, even then it might be ruled as a slip by the Judges...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Only commentators I take seriously are Andy Lee and Roy Jones. Could listen to them all night. Knowledgeable, insightful and of course have vast inside experience.

Of course. Bang on there and mea culpa leaving out one of my favourite fighters.

As an aside last week in Pensacola decided to go check out Roy Jones' gym. After confirming the address a few times we get there to discover a one story house with Do Not Trespass signs outside but what is unforgettable was that we were greeted by a goat!

Roy dont want no visitors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Of course. Bang on there and mea culpa leaving out one of my favourite fighters.

As an aside last week in Pensacola decided to go check out Roy Jones' gym. After confirming the address a few times we get there to discover a one story house with Do Not Trespass signs outside but what is unforgettable was that we were greeted by a goat!

Roy dont want no visitors!

GGG KO
    No specific thread for this but Canelo has signed a contract with DAZN. 5 years, 11 fights, $365m. Richest contract in sports history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

No specific thread for this but Canelo has signed a contract with DAZN. 5 years, 11 fights, $365m. Richest contract in sports history.

How does that work. Will he still get money for PPVs or is it all in he 365m?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

How does that work. Will he still get money for PPVs or is it all in he 365m?

DAZN are an over-the-top digital service, $9.99 a month for a range of sport, with no PPV. They're aiming to be the Netflix of sport, and monetising these deals globally. Already signed a big multi-year deal with Matchroom, so going big after boxing, but also have Serie A rights in Italy.

Good for boxing overall, I think -- should make it more accessible to a broader and younger audience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

DAZN are an over-the-top digital service, $9.99 a month for a range of sport, with no PPV. They're aiming to be the Netflix of sport, and monetising these deals globally. Already signed a big multi-year deal with Matchroom, so going big after boxing, but also have Serie A rights in Italy.

Good for boxing overall, I think -- should make it more accessible to a broader and younger audience.

So he will pull in around 30m per fight. I presume golden boy will get a fair chunk of that. Doesn't seem like much for boxing's biggest PPV draw?

Advertisement