Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

I had it 114-114. Could have gone either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Terrific fight. I had it for Canelo 115-113 but a draw would have been even more so a great result this time out than last. Canelo was better this time out but a draw or a Golovkin win by a point would have been fine. Third fight is a cert. Hopefully the people crying robbery follow what they say and never watch the sport again, how could anyone deem a fight with razor thin rounds and very subjective a robbery is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

Terrific fight. I had it for Canelo 115-113 but a draw would have been even more so a great result this time out than last. Canelo was better this time out but a draw or a Golovkin win by a point would have been fine. Third fight is a cert. Hopefully the people crying robbery follow what they say and never watch the sport again, how could anyone deem a fight with razor thin rounds and very subjective a robbery is beyond me.

The reason Tey would call it a robbery is simple
    It makes more financial sense for GOLDEN BOY

• Registered Users Posts: 54,960 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    6 rds complete and I have Canelo the one controlling it

5 rds to 1...and could be 6/0. Gave GGG rd 4.

GGG very nonchalant and lethargic looking. Canelo looks the one wanting to win..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

GGG KO
    Soundbar wrote: »
    I scored the fight a draw. I had 8 of the 12 rounds 10-10 as there wasn't enough in them to give either fighter the round.

So long as judges and viewers feel the need to give each round to one fighter or the other rather than a draw then of course there will a wide array of scores. I think it's ridiculous scoring most od those rounds 10-9. In most of them they were trading punches fairly evrnly with no significant advantage to either fighter. Such roubds should be scored a draw.

Only a clear round for either fighter should not be marked as a draw. A razor thin round is 10-10.

So in 8 of the 12 rounds you felt there was absolutely nothing between them? That's crazy for me, a round should only be a draw when you cannot find anything at all to split the two, which is rare when output is high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭blade1

GGG KO

Only a clear round for either fighter should not be marked as a draw. A razor thin round is 10-10.

I think for some reason judges would be encouraged to pick a winner of a round even in close rounds.

Canelo KO
    117-112; 8-3-1 Canelo.

I found it very difficult to score rds for GGG..

Canelo looked always the man pushing and controlling and scoring the better shots..

Yes, some close rds, but overall Canelo deserves that.

GGG fought too cautiously, and actually nervously....against the smaller man..

1. Canelo
    2. Canelo
    3. Canelo
    4. GGG
    5. Canelo
    6. Canelo
    7. Canelo
    8. GGG
    9. Canelo
    10. Draw
    11. GGG
    12. Canelo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

People shouting robbery etc need to wind their neck in, in multiple razor close rounds there is going to be a score disparity. It's a fight with many subjective factors at play, not a game of soccer. Its not a robbery, it's not even particularly a bad decision. I'd have nudged it toward Canelo to be honest but there you are.

Rematch!

GGG KO
    FTA69 wrote: »

Rematch!
    If the rematch was in Vegas I reckon Canelo would get all the close rounds whether he won them or not.

I think that's probably why people are saying robbery imo.

Canelo KO
    blade1 wrote: »
    If the rematch was in Vegas I reckon Canelo would get all the close rounds whether he won them or not.

People calling robbery here have no fooking clue about boxing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

blade1 wrote: »

Rematch could be in Neptune in Cork, a close round is a close round,

GGG KO
    FTA69 wrote: »
    Rematch could be in Neptune in Cork, a close round is a close round,

If it was in Kazakhstan I think GGG would have got the decision.

Canelo KO
    Another one who has no fooking clue is Barry Jones’s co commentator...

After 7 rds he actually said “up to now GGG has been dominating.” Wtf?

Canelo KO
    Golovkin of 2012 would have comfortably won this fight and probably stopped Alvarez. He's lost his power. Look at old videos and notice the speed and ferocity of his punches this. His a tired, aging fighter now. He should think about hanging up his gloves before he takes too much damage.

I agree. I thought he looked very sluggish last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

walshb wrote: »
    Another one who has no fooking clue is Barry Jones’s co commentator...

After 7 rds he actually said “up to now GGG has been dominating.” Wtf?
    Even Abel Sanchez knew his man was in trouble after seven rounds. Told GGG that he was losing the fight in between rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Golovkin of 2012 would have comfortably won this fight and probably stopped Alvarez. He's lost his power. Look at old videos and notice the speed and ferocity of his punches this. His a tired, aging fighter now. He should think about hanging up his gloves before he takes too much damage.

Its not age, he's just fighting clean because its too risky for him to risk the pay cheques, something alvarez seemingly doesn't have to worry about since he failed 2 drug tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i was picking dimitry pirog to beat him then. i still mourn that fight not coming off.

Canelo KO
    glasso wrote: »
    Canelo looks big compared to ggg

I saw the opposite. GGG looked clearly the bigger man in the ring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

GGG KO
    lesson learned by all boxers, never fight a mexican in vegas :eek:

Canelo KO
    megadodge wrote: »
    The English commentator is really all over GGG. Wrongly so IMO.

Couldn’t agree more. Really blatant not giving a fook...

GGG all night long......

• Advertisement

To think Canelo will probably go undisputed while Golovkin doesn't get that chance nor gets to break Hopkins record, it just shows how huge the night was for Golovkin. Canelo is probably entering prime now (near 29 if the rematch happens next summer) whereas Golovkin will be 37. I can't see how Canelo loses a 3rd fight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

section4 wrote: »
    The reason Tey would call it a robbery is simple
    It makes more financial sense for GOLDEN BOY

Nonsense. Dont watch boxing again if you thought that was a robbery

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I used to respect your opinion but over the last couple of years you seem to take the unpopular side in any argument.
    I've been following the sport for over forty years. I've been to many world championship fights. I've seen horrendous decisions before and this was one of them. I've stepped away from the sport in the last 8 years and watched a lot less fights because of how bad the corruption had become again.
    You have to clearly beat the Champion to take a title, that did not happen here.

Golovkin clearly won that fight as he did the first one.

This is the end of the road for me with the sport. I draw the line when you rob an all time great fighters unbeaten record.

Canelo KO
    Not so sure about that, while not as Rangy as Golovkin; Alvarez is is thick and solid, which I think contributes to his granite chin.

Fair points.

Canelo KO
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I used to respect your opinion but over the last couple of years you seem to take the unpopular side in any argument.
    I've been following the sport for over forty years. I've been to many world championship fights. I've seen horrendous decisions before and this was one of them. I've stepped away from the sport in the last 8 years and watched a lot less fights because of how bad the corruption had become again.
    You have to clearly beat the Champion to take a title, that did not happen here.

This is the end of the road for me with the sport. I draw the line when you rob an all time great fighters unbeaten record.

Your utter dislike for Canelo is clouding your judgment here. It’s that simple..

Oh, and my “unpopular” opinion is not alone in my view on this fight..

He clearly won it because as Champion he gets all the really close rounds.

If you are struggling to decide who won a round then the Champion gets it.

You played yourself, you wasted 40 years watching a sport you have no clue about. Jog on thinking last night's decision was a robbery, jog on thinking you have to 'take a champs belt' instead of just winning the fight and you can also jog on thinking a guy is an all time great with Martin Murray, Danny Jacobs and Matthew Macklin being his noteworthy wins.

He clearly won it because as Champion he gets all the really close rounds.

You really have no clue...Jesus this is one of the worst posts on the forum. Please show me the score ruling where it says champion gets the nod in the close rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

eagle eye wrote:

What rulebook is this from ??

• Advertisement

You really have no clue...Jesus this is one of the worst posts on the forum. Please show me the score ruling where it says champion gets the nod in the close rounds.

That is the history of the sport.
    You have to beat the Champion, clearly. No good having a close fight with him.
    It's you that hasn't a clue.

Advertisement