Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

eagle eye wrote: »
    I used to respect your opinion but over the last couple of years you seem to take the unpopular side in any argument.
    I've been following the sport for over forty years. I've been to many world championship fights. I've seen horrendous decisions before and this was one of them. I've stepped away from the sport in the last 8 years and watched a lot less fights because of how bad the corruption had become again.
    You have to clearly beat the Champion to take a title, that did not happen here.

Golovkin clearly won that fight as he did the first one.

This is the end of the road for me with the sport. I draw the line when you rob an all time great fighters unbeaten record.

Cheerio, its been emotional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

That is the history of the sport.
    You have to beat the Champion, clearly. No good having a close fight with him.
    It's you that hasn't a clue.

Please show me the ruling where it says that

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ianob7 wrote:
    What rulebook is this from ??
    You ask me about rule books, in professional boxing? LMFAO.

Soundbar wrote:
    What's the problem with marking really close rounds 10-10?

You have to call a winner in each round.

You ask me about rule books, in professional boxing? LMFAO.

You should probably go read one. LMFAO LOL LOL HE HE HE HA HA HA LOLZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,979 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    That is the history of the sport.
    You have to beat the Champion, clearly. No good having a close fight with him.
    It's you that hasn't a clue.

I have no real issue with the “belief” that close/really close rds then the champ “deserves” the nod. Kind of an unwritten rule..

Still think in this fight Canelo deserved most rds..

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭jimpump

He clearly won it because as Champion he gets all the really close rounds.

If you are struggling to decide who won a round then the Champion gets it.

Ha, is that written in the rule book. Biggest load of crap i ever heard

Soundbar wrote: »
    Is that in the rule book,

IIRC judges are encouraged to score rounds to an opponent as often as possible and to avoid giving even rounds if at all possible.

I've read them many times. What you are asking is a silly amateurish question.

Canelo KO
    I'd like to understand the logic behind that.

The logic being that people and competitors want decisions and winners and closure as much as possible. Makes perfect sense in human competition.

• Advertisement

I've read them many times. What you are asking is a silly amateurish question.

Then you might be able to point out to us casuals the section where it says the champion should be given the nod in close rounds...

Anyways I'm done with this. I came on to say I'm finished with the sport because the corruption is worse than ever. Last night, and the previous fight between these two proves this.
    Ciao all.

Canelo KO
    Anyways I'm done with this. I came on to say I'm finished with the sport because the corruption is worse than ever. Last night, and the previous fight between these two proves this.
    Ciao all.

You’re some sore loser!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Canelo Points
    I watched the fight on YouTube there and the video stopped immediately post fight, I had to go on to BBC to get the result, I was amazed Canelo got a majority victory. I had GGG winning by 4, 116 to 112. Thought he was clearly the better fighter and what's more he rocked Canelo on occasion which Canelo didn't do to him.

Leaves a very bad taste in the mouth although not an outright robbery.

1. GGG
    2. Canelo
    3. GGG
    4. GGG
    5. GGG
    6. GGG
    7. Canelo
    8. Canelo
    9. GGG
    10. GGG
    11. GGG
    12. Canelo

Rds 3 to 6 could have been 2 apiece to be fair so still a GGG victory imo.

Ciao all.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i'm one of the weirdos who thinks there should actually be more draws in boxing. i consider this fight a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

GGG KO
    He clearly won it because as Champion he gets all the really close rounds.

If you are struggling to decide who won a round then the Champion gets it.
    Absolute drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    I watched the fight on YouTube there and the video stopped immediately post fight, I had to go on to BBC to get the result, I was amazed Canelo got a majority victory. I had GGG winning by 4, 116 to 112. Thought he was clearly the better fighter and what's more he rocked Canelo on occasion which Canelo didn't do to him.

1. GGG
    2. Canelo
    3. GGG
    4. GGG
    5. GGG
    6. GGG
    7. Canelo
    8. Canelo
    9. GGG
    10. GGG
    11. GGG
    12. Canelo

I get that it's subjective but when you have GGG's trainer saying he scored the fight a draw and that he had his man down after seven rounds it goes to highlight how this was actually miles away from a clear GGG decision.

Canelo KO
    Just because very close rounds are scored 10-10 doesn't mean there won't be a winner. It should evident from these two fights that the current scoring system gives anything but closure.

Yes, but without digging into the math, it probably makes it more likely that draws occur..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

GGG KO
    Deiseboy01 wrote: »

1. GGG
    2. Canelo
    3. GGG
    4. GGG
    5. GGG
    6. GGG
    7. Canelo
    8. Canelo
    9. GGG
    10. GGG
    11. GGG
    12. Canelo

Even this shows just how tight things were. Need to go back and look at my scores, but I had it 116-112 to GGG as well, and I gave the first to Canelo and the last to GGG whereas you've the reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Just because very close rounds are scored 10-10 doesn't mean there won't be a winner. It should be evident from these two fights that the current scoring system gives anything but closure.

If two fighters are evenly matched then in my opinion a draw is closure as it accurately reflects the performances and the abilities of the fighters.

completely agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Canelo Points
    Am I the only one who gave Canelo a couple of the first few rounds - thought he actually win them clearly

Think commentators hyped the GGG robbed approach - the vid on YouTube I watched (think it was sky) this morning cut back to panel and said they were split but ended there so I didn't get to hear them

Canelo KO
    begbysback wrote: »
    Am I the only one who gave Canelo a couple of the first few rounds - thought he actually win them clearly

No, he got 3 out of 4 for me, and 4/0 possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    That was a super fight.
    Canelo has a chin and a half.

I had it by 2/3 rounds to GGG, his work rate was phenomenal.
    Canelo looks like he could do more.

Disappointed with the result

GGG KO

Think commentators hyped the GGG robbed approach - the vid on YouTube I watched (think it was sky) this morning cut back to panel and said they were split but ended there so I didn't get to hear them

Yeah I thought Canelo won the first 3.
    I had it level after 8 but thought GGG won 9/10/11 fairly clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    No, he got 3 out of 4 for me, and 4/0 possible..

What was the scorecard for first 4?

I couldn't go with English commentators assessment of the first 4, or desie scoring above - was really impressed with Canelo in first few rounds - thought he edged most of them, at least 2

Canelo KO
    What was the scorecard for first 4?

I couldn't go with English commentators assessment of the first 4, or desie scoring above - was really impressed with Canelo in first few rounds - thought he edged most of them, at least 2

Official cards? I haven’t seen them..

GGG KO
    walshb wrote: »
    Official cards? I haven’t seen them..

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1041190839811289089?s=20

GGG KO
    Interestingly all 3 judges gave GGG the 1st but all 3 had Canelo winning pretty much everything from 5-8.
    Feldman gave GGG the last 4 to force the draw.

I thought Canelo won the last quite clearly.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    I need to watch rd 1 again. Thought Canelo won it...3 judges went with GGG

Advertisement