Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭megadodge

Canelo KO
    Very good interview on the fight from Andy Lee here, especially regarding the commentating -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLUMxcsFyA

• Registered Users Posts: 54,961 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    megadodge wrote: »
    Very good interview on the fight from Andy Lee here, especially regarding the commentating -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLUMxcsFyA

Just listened to that now. He says what I was thinking about people maybe being swayed to GGG due to Canelo failing dope tests...

One other thing: GGG and his team went on a fair bit about Canelo being a runner in fight 1, and how they wanted him to stand and fight like a man..GGG could almost be accused of “running” in this fight. He certainly didn’t get really stuck in and throw the kitchen sink. For a lot of the time he was trying to nip and steal and peck and poke and duck and dive and move away. Just an observation that stood out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Great absorbing fight and worthy of the sport. As ever Andy Lee calls it and still dont know why there is controversy here. While I had it as a draw I cant complain with the judges. It was razor thin but there are no such things as conspiracies. It wasnt a UD which would have been a stretch. 
    Golovkin was a great Champion but age stops for nobody. I saw him destroying Lemieux but then last year against Jacobs I could see not necessarily a deterioration but he wasnt the fighter of old. If you like the aura was being dismantled but still dangerous. He just did not look like his dominant self here.
    Canelo definitely got away with it last time and maybe was a wee bit intimidated and didnt fight his fight but this time there was no fear as he stood toe to toe and as said his physicality is very impressive. In short he took the fight to Golovkin and it was interesting to see him being dominated to an extent. Thought a big turning point was when Abel Sanchez told his man he was losing.
    Lot of talk about a third fight but can see a clearer win for Canelo there. He's only 28 and has already won 50 fights. He's the king now and hopefully will unify this iconic division.
    Felt sorry for Spike as that was a brutal ko but he was losing and it was a big step up but according to the ring purses he made twice as much! So $400,000 is not a bad pay day to be fair. But still felt he should have taken the Golovkin fight at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Canelo Points
    walshb wrote: »
    Just listened to that now. He says what I was thinking about people maybe being swayed to GGG due to Canelo failing dope tests...

Have to say I can't help but view this line of thought as more than a little condescending towards people who have the "wrong" opinion on the fight.

Canelo KO
    Have to say I can't help but view this line of thought as more than a little condescending towards people who have the "wrong" opinion on the fight.

I can see how that could be viewed. But it shouldn’t be. I am not immune from being swayed, and have no issue admitting that. It’s part of human nature. I wouldn’t call it condescending. I’d call it truthful reality....

I felt something odd that SO many were seeing this for GGG. In fight 1, when let’s be clear, was far more in GGGs favor to be argued, I don’t think as many were saying he won...yet here it appears many more are calling it a a GGG win..

Take even one of the posters here who now is quitting the sport because Canelo won. The poster brought up Canelo’s drugs fail pre fight 2...it stunk to me of someone taking it too personally, and already awarding GGG points based off Canelo’s indiscretions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Canelo Points
    I felt something odd that SO many were seeing this for GGG. In fight 1, when let’s be clear, was far more in GGGs favor to be argued, I don’t think as many were saying he won...yet here it appears many more are calling it a a GGG win..

This is an interesting point.

In my view it's mainly down to the fact that this fight had a winner and as a result a loser too. so it's only natural there's more nailing your colours to the mast style talk going on.

Fight 1 being a draw left all in limbo really. A divisive and controversial example of judging sure, but in the heel of the hunt no one lost.
    (Personally I had ggg winning by 2 to 3 rds I believe in what was a closely fought bout overall)

Fight 2
    An even closer affair but this fight had a winner and a loser. (Personally I had it ggg by a rd)
    In this fight one man lost 5 belts and his unbeaten run, the other got all the spoils.
    So its only natural that people will be more vocal than after the previous bout if they believe that this man in actuality should have won the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

What's the fight scoring app mentioned earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    The main reason people are saying GGG was robbed is still because of the first fight really.

If GGG had got the decision he deserved in the first fight and then Canelo got the decision in the rematch to set up the trilogy I doubt there'd be any outcry whatsoever. It's just the inevitability of Canelo getting the nod in Vegas that has people crying robbery.

It's actually such a shame that'd we've been starved of a decider in what would be one of the greatest boxing trilogy's ever.

Canelo Points
    jobless wrote: »
    What's the fight scoring app mentioned earlier?
    https://fightscoreapp.com/

Canelo Points
    I thought Paulie Malignaggi made some decent points on Off the Ball today too. Don't agree with his overall point that it was a robbery but I think people do get quite carried away with the flashiness of Canelo's punch delivery. I thought there was a number of rounds that GGG was landing his jab at will in but Canelo might land a couple of flashy counters in the final minute of the round and people would score it for him as a result. GGG landing a number of solid power punches himself but he throws a more compact punch that doesn't catch the eye like Canelo's explosive combinations do.

It's all about what you prefer really. There's no wrong answers but for me if a guy is landing a jab at will, even if on the backfoot, it should count for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob7F8znPH8o

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    Paulie’s talking sh1te....impossible to find 7 rds that you could score Canelo?

Maybe for him that is....

Not for me. Not for others, and not for 2 of the three professional judges..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Canelo Points
    Paulie’s talking sh1te....impossible to find 7 rds that you could score Canelo?

Maybe for him that is....

Not for me. Not for others, and not for 2 of the three professional judges..

Its all about opinion. I thought it was close though for sure, but I still personally dont think Canelo was a winner of that fight.

Canelo KO
    Its all about opinion. I thought it was close though for sure, but I still personally dont think Canelo was a winner of that fight.

Exactly. Which is why his view here came across as a rant/vendetta against boxing judges/judging..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

walshb wrote:
    Take even one of the posters here who now is quitting the sport because Canelo won. The poster brought up Canelo’s drugs fail pre fight 2...it stunk to me of someone taking it too personally, and already awarding GGG points based off Canelo’s indiscretions.

It's amazing the way you seen that I brought up the drugs but didn't get to read my post where I said I'd be shouting for GGG but didn't mind who won the fight because they are both great fighters.
    I'm never biased when watching a fight, I judge fairly.
    GGG should be 2-0 over his last two fights, instead his unbeaten record is gone. It's scandalous and it's proof that the sport is more corrupt than ever.
    That's why I'm out, and for good this time.
    Just to clarify, there is absolutely no way that any sane honest man with average eyesight and knowledge of the sport could have marked that fight as a Canelo win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

GGG KO
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Just to clarify, there is absolutely no way that any sane honest man with average eyesight and knowledge of the sport could have marked that fight as a Canelo win.

Stop spouting this bollox. Multiple respected commentators who'll have forgotten more about boxing than you and I could ever hope to know gave Canelo the nod on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭blade1

GGG KO
    Stop spouting this bollox. Multiple respected commentators who'll have forgotten more about boxing than you and I could ever hope to know gave Canelo the nod on Saturday.

Yeah,like David Haye!
    If he said it it must be true!! :pac:

GGG KO
    blade1 wrote: »

Yeah,like David Haye!
    If he said it it must be true!! :pac:

Yeah, and eagle eye from boards.ie had it the other way, so clearly that's the truth too. Hilarious stuff

GGG KO
    Yeah, and eagle eye from boards.ie had it the other way, so clearly that's the truth too. Hilarious stuff

To be fair, if you are relying on commentators for proof,you are doomed from the start.
    The amount of shīte most of them spout is unbelievable!

GGG KO

To be fair, if you are relying on commentators for proof,you are doomed from the start.
    The amount of shīte most of them spout is unbelievable!

That's just your fault for interpreting "commentators" as "lads on the TV".

GGG KO

And your fault for seeing them as some kind of oracles.

• Advertisement

GGG KO

And your fault for seeing them as some kind of oracles.

How do you not get this? Why is the word of one bunch lads on a website any more credible than a whole other bunch of lads who have spent their life around boxing?

GGG KO
    How do you not get this? Why is the word of one bunch lads on a website any more credible than a whole other bunch of lads who have spent their life around boxing?

I don't need to get it.
    I'm not taking anyone's word(website or TV)
    I made up my own mind about the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Here for s my scoring g of the fight. I don't do drawn rounds and there were no two point winners of any round.

Round 1 Golovkin outworked Canelo.
    Round 2 Canelo won it clearly.
    Round 3 Canelo won it.
    Round 4 Golovkin won it clearly
    Round 5 Golovkin won it despite Canelo hitting the best shot in the round.
    Round 6 Golovkin would it despite Canelo hitting the best punch of the round.
    Round 7 Canelo won it despite GGG hitting the best punch of the round.
    Round 8 GGG wins it in the last minute where he scored at will after Canelo looking good for the first two minutes. Canelo looked tired in the last minute of this round.
    Round 9 Canelo wins this round.
    Round 10 Golovkin completely on top.
    Round 11 Golovkin completely on top.
    Round 12 Canelo is brave and wins this round.

So final score is 115-113 Golovkin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How did everyone here score the 12th??

GGG KO
    How did everyone here score the 12th??

I reckon most that thought GGG was ahead scored it 10-9 to Canelo and most that had Canelo ahead scored it 10-7 to Canelo :pac::pac:

Canelo KO
    It's amazing the way you seen that I brought up the drugs but didn't get to read my post where I said I'd be shouting for GGG but didn't mind who won the fight because they are both great fighters.
    I'm never biased when watching a fight, I judge fairly.
    GGG should be 2-0 over his last two fights, instead his unbeaten record is gone. It's scandalous and it's proof that the sport is more corrupt than ever.
    That's why I'm out, and for good this time.

With all due respect, you said in an earlier post that in a close round you give it to the champion. That is NOT fair judging!

Canelo KO
    Here for s my scoring g of the fight. I don't do drawn rounds and there were no two point winners of any round.

Round 3 Canelo won it.
    Round 8 GGG wins it in the last minute where he scored at will after Canelo looking good for the first two minutes. Canelo looked tired in the last minute of this round.

That's not a bad breakdown.

However, if for example you give one of the close rounds you gave to GGG to Canelo, you immediately have a draw.

That's just one round. And if you gave another close one as even, Canelo wins. Yet you're making ridiculous statements about anybody who scored it for Canelo not knowing anything about boxing.

Your score is very close to a lot of those who score it to Canelo. If you had it wide to GGG (I would have disagreed) I could understand your criticism, but you didn't.

Canelo KO
    Kind of similar to Paulie...

Saying a draw may not have been a poor call, even a fair call, yet how dare they attempt to possibly score it one more rd the other way to Canelo..

So Canelo getting 6 rds I can live with, but getting 7? The absolute corruption...

To come out with this kind of “logic” we need to see the rds breakdown, Paulie..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO

Round 3 Canelo won it.

I gave Canelo the 6th quite clearly but had the same score as you (I gave GGG the 9th).
    I also gave GGG the 8th and thought the 1st was a draw, so despite both scoring this GGG by 2 we both could have scored it for canelo or a draw.

The more we analyse the more we must realise that this wasn't a robbery. I'm annoyed because I like GGG and think he should have at least won one fight (if not them both) but really they were razor thin fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Of course it is all in the eye of the beholder but the judges were experienced and it is their scores that ultimately matter. While I had it as a draw I cant complain with the verdict. This time it is less of a shock than last time.

Only commentators I take seriously are Andy Lee and Roy Jones. Could listen to them all night. Knowledgeable, insightful and of course have vast inside experience.

On the other side HBO have Harold Lederman who's scores I've always felt are based on crowd roars. Maybe unfair given his history but there it is.

I respect Paulie's views to an extent as I've seen him fight but sometimes I feel he is a product of his political leanings. Calling out the judges as monsters on Off The Ball is symptomatic of how far low politics here has sunk.

But anyway a super mega fight has brought the right attention back to this great endearing sport.

Advertisement