Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    begbysback wrote: »
    What was the scorecard for first 4?

I couldn't go with English commentators assessment of the first 4, or desie scoring above - was really impressed with Canelo in first few rounds - thought he edged most of them, at least 2

All 3 judges had it 2-2 after 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i was watching a broadcast with kevin kelly on commentary...terrible commentary.
    watching the roy jones / kellerman one on youtube now .
    not sure who kelly was doing commentary for, i presumed it was a hbo broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Canelo Points
    Press scores:

Harold Lederman (HBO Sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Brian Campbell (CBS sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Dan Rafael (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Salvador Rodríguez (ESPN Mexico): 114-114 draw

Gareth A Davies (The Telegraph): 116-112 Golovkin

Josh Peter (USA Today): 115-113 Golovkin

Sports Illustrated: 114-114 draw

Dylan Hernandez (LA Times): 115-113 Golovkin

Lance Pugmire (La Times): 114-114 draw

Box Scene: 114-114 draw

Chris Mannix (Yahoo! Sports): 115-113 Golovkin

Kevin Iole (Yahoo! Sports): 114-114 draw

The Guardian: 116-112 Golovkin

Joe DePaolo (Washington Post): 115-113 Golovkin

Mike Coppinger (Ring Magazine): 114-114 draw

Sherdog: 116-112 Golovkin

Jai Bednall (news.com.au): 115-113 Golovkin

Brian Mazique (Forbes): 114-114 draw

Adam Abramowitz (Ring Magazine and SN Boxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Tom Craze (Bad Left Hook): 116-112 Golovkin

Fraser Coffeen (Bloody Elbow): 115-113 Golovkin

The Associated Press: 114-114 draw

Bill Simmons (HBO and The Ringer): 114-114 draw

Steven Muehlhausen (Sporting News): 116-112 Golovkin

Michael Montero (MonteroOnBoxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Matt Christie (Boxing News): 115-114 Golovkin

George Willis (New York Post): 114-114 draw

Below The Belt Podcast: 115-113 Golovkin

World Boxing News: 115-113 Golovkin

Jeff Powell (Daily Mail): 116-113 Golovkin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Canelo KO
    I think what we got was inevitable. Golovkin too advanced in years to force a pace that would stop Canelo, who himself is much more durable than he looked 3/4 years ago. Without a stoppage I couldn't see how Golovkin was ever going to get it on the cards.

Close fight, good fight as well. But the inevitability of the decision takes much of the pleasure out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

darced wrote: »
    Press scores:

Harold Lederman (HBO Sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Brian Campbell (CBS sports): 116-112 Golovkin

Dan Rafael (ESPN): 114-114 draw

Salvador Rodríguez (ESPN Mexico): 114-114 draw

Gareth A Davies (The Telegraph): 116-112 Golovkin

Josh Peter (USA Today): 115-113 Golovkin

Sports Illustrated: 114-114 draw

Dylan Hernandez (LA Times): 115-113 Golovkin

Lance Pugmire (La Times): 114-114 draw

Box Scene: 114-114 draw

Chris Mannix (Yahoo! Sports): 115-113 Golovkin

Kevin Iole (Yahoo! Sports): 114-114 draw

The Guardian: 116-112 Golovkin

Joe DePaolo (Washington Post): 115-113 Golovkin

Mike Coppinger (Ring Magazine): 114-114 draw

Sherdog: 116-112 Golovkin

Jai Bednall (news.com.au): 115-113 Golovkin

Brian Mazique (Forbes): 114-114 draw

Adam Abramowitz (Ring Magazine and SN Boxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Tom Craze (Bad Left Hook): 116-112 Golovkin

Fraser Coffeen (Bloody Elbow): 115-113 Golovkin

The Associated Press: 114-114 draw

Bill Simmons (HBO and The Ringer): 114-114 draw

Steven Muehlhausen (Sporting News): 116-112 Golovkin

Michael Montero (MonteroOnBoxing): 115-113 Golovkin

Matt Christie (Boxing News): 115-114 Golovkin

George Willis (New York Post): 114-114 draw

Below The Belt Podcast: 115-113 Golovkin

World Boxing News: 115-113 Golovkin

Jeff Powell (Daily Mail): 116-113 Golovkin

its amazing looking at that....that...over the 6 scorecards over both fights ..GGG was a winner on 1 card.
    yet...not one of those media analysts listed had last nights fight to canelo....and same with 1st fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I had it as a draw, but in no way is it a robbery like the first fight. 7-5 Canelo is actually fair as 7-5 Golovkin would have been fair.

I had each winning 5 rounds with rounds 1 and 12 as draws as there was nothing in them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Draw
    I gave GGG rounds 1, 4, 9, 10, 11 and I think because he looked like he had it in those latter rounds, with Canelo on the back foot looking like he hand nothing left and like he was very close to being stopped, people feel Golovkin was robbed as a result.

Can't understand how Canelo is not getting more credit though. I mean even if you think he was winning less rounds, isn't it then even more impressive that he still and all yet came back and won that 12th? But yet all the talk today seems to be about how Golovkin was robbed and ignoring the heart Canelo showed to stay in the fight.

GGG KO
    Actually, all 3 Judges scored the first 6 Identically 58-56:

GGG
    Canelo
    Canelo
    GGG
    Canelo
    Canelo

I'd have to rewatch 5 and 6 again.
    Barry Jones had me convinced they were clear GGG rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭blade1

GGG KO
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    its amazing looking at that....that...over the 6 scorecards over both fights ..GGG was a winner on 1 card.
    yet...not one of those media analysts listed had last nights fight to canelo....and same with 1st fight.

Not even one? strange that.

GGG KO

Can't understand how Canelo is not getting more credit though.

Even if I score it to GGG i definitely give Canelo credit.
    He stood his ground all fight and made GGG do any of the 'running'. Very impressive toughness and complete confidence in his chin.

I was very impressed with his composure when he was badly buzzed in the 10th as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Promenade

Watched the fight live this morning and felt that GGG had won by a few rounds. Rewatched it an hour ago in a slightly less sleep deprived state and with pen and paper to score the rounds and I genuinely can't see how Canelo won this.

Only clear rounds that I gave to Canelo were 2 and 6
    Rounds 7 and 12 were a flip of a coin. For 7 I was leaning more towards Canelo but for 12 I felt that GGG might have shaded it. Even if I gave both those rounds to Canelo, it's still a clear win for GGG in my eyes.

While it's no surprise to see Canelo win against someone less "marketable" in Vegas, the fact that many on this forum can't see that GGG won this baffles me. It's almost like they feel like giving the rounds to Canelo because he was brave (which he was) and fought predominantly on the front foot (which he did) while ignoring the fact that GGG controlled the fight with his jab off the back foot. The odd power punch that got through from Canelo in rounds 1-7 were largely counteracted by the accumulation of accurate jabs that were being landed by GGG. Round 8 onwards, GGG dominated completely (bar a resilient flurry from Canelo in round 12 which made it a close round to score).

Great fight between two great fighters. Completely wrong decision but unfortunately once the fight went the distance, the judges were always going to give it to Canelo.

Draw
    Promenade wrote: »
    Rounds 7 and 12 were a flip of a coin.

12 was easily Canelo's.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Able Sanchez told his man he was losing in the 7th and is fine with the result overall, I definitely think a draw was the right result still

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

GGG KO
    Rounds 7 and 12 were a flip of a coin.

12 was easily Canelo's.
    Disagree, I gave it to GGG. Canelo's output ramped up a bit and they were both swinging for the fences but I thought GGG landed the more significant shots, whilst acknowledging that Canelo landed more than enough of his own.

I thought Canelo's work to the body was superb all night.

GGG KO
    Watched the fight live this morning and felt that GGG had won by a few rounds. Rewatched it an hour ago in a slightly less sleep deprived state and with pen and paper to score the rounds and I genuinely can't see how Canelo won this.

Only clear rounds that I gave to Canelo were 2 and 6
    Rounds 7 and 12 were a flip of a coin. For 7 I was leaning more towards Canelo but for 12 I felt that GGG might have shaded it. Even if I gave both those rounds to Canelo, it's still a clear win for GGG in my eyes.

While it's no surprise to see Canelo win against someone less "marketable" in Vegas, the fact that many on this forum can't see that GGG won this baffles me. It's almost like they feel like giving the rounds to Canelo because he was brave (which he was) and fought predominantly on the front foot (which he did) while ignoring the fact that GGG controlled the fight with his jab off the back foot. The odd power punch that got through from Canelo in rounds 1-7 were largely counteracted by the accumulation of accurate jabs that were being landed by GGG. Round 8 onwards, GGG dominated completely (bar a resilient flurry from Canelo in round 12 which made it a close round to score).

Great fight between two great fighters. Completely wrong decision but unfortunately once the fight went the distance, the judges were always going to give it to Canelo.

I scored it like you but in the cold light of day the only clear GGG rounds were 4, 10 and 11.
    The judges had it even after 4 (same as me) but Canelo up after 8 (I had it even after 8).

5-8 are clearly the key rounds where most of the difference in scoring lies. I will have to watch those again. If canelo won those rounds then my card becomes a draw or a narrow Canelo win.

GGG KO
    Am I the only one that doesn't really want a rematch?
    I think GGG should retire to be honest, he isn't getting any younger.

I'd love to see Canelo vs BJS next.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,068 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Canelo Points
    I had GGG up by one going to the last round, I'll rewatch later with fresh eyes. I don't think it's a robbery by any means, I can see a draw and I can see a Canelo win in some spots as rounds were very close at times but my initial scoring had GGG ahead going to the last.

A draw probably would have reflected the contest well.

Talk of a third fight seems irrelevant to me, GGG has gotten old. His best beats Canelo who impressed me last night

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Draw
    Disagree, I gave it to GGG. Canelo's output ramped up a bit and they were both swinging for the fences but I thought GGG landed the more significant shots, whilst acknowledging that Canelo landed more than enough of his own.

Even the stats don't support that with compubox showing while GGG landed more jabs in the 12th alright, Canelo landed almost twice as many 'power punches' as he did:

canelo-golovkin-compubox-punch-stats_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    Henno30 wrote: »
    I think what we got was inevitable. Golovkin too advanced in years to force a pace that would stop Canelo, who himself is much more durable than he looked 3/4 years ago. Without a stoppage I couldn't see how Golovkin was ever going to get it on the cards.

Close fight, good fight as well. But the inevitability of the decision takes much of the pleasure out of it.
    Exactly. The fact that nobody will ever get a close decision against Canelo taints the result pretty massively for me. In a vacuum I have no issue with the score, no robbery at all but this is the fourth razor tight fight that Canelo has landed on the right side of. No coincidence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

GGG KO

Even the stats don't support that with compubox showing while GGG landed more jabs in the 12th alright, Canelo landed almost twice as many 'power punches' as he did:

canelo-golovkin-compubox-punch-stats_1.jpg

That's not what I said though. A compubox "power punch" means anything that lands other than a jab. It doesn't assess the cleanliness or the precision of those punches. To my eye, watching live at nearly 7am, I thought GGG's work was cleaner in the final round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

Canelo Points
    A lot of the time fighters get too much credit for walking forward imo, I thought GGG controlled the majority of the early rounds with his jab off the back foot, wasn't getting caught with much but it seems that the judges gave Canelo excessive credit for being the man pushing the fight. If you are walking a man around the ring while getting you head snapped back by jabs you're not being effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,987 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    Deiseboy01 wrote: »
    A lot of the time fighters get too much credit for walking forward imo, I thought GGG controlled the majority of the early rounds with his jab off the back foot, wasn't getting caught with much but it seems that the judges gave Canelo excessive credit for being the man pushing the fight. If you are walking a man around the ring while getting you head snapped back by jabs you're not being effective.

I didn’t see much of that. Canelo was blocking a lot of shots/jabs, and landing his own shots whilst moving forward..

Over 36 minutes he was the one that was the most effective in all areas. Ring control, forward aggression, clean landing shots...

GGG just looked stale and slow and kind of content to just be there..

GGG KO
    walshb wrote: »
    I didn’t see much of that. Canelo was blocking a lot of shots/jabs, and landing his own shots whilst moving forward..

Over 36 minutes he was the one that was the most effective in all areas. Ring control, forward aggression, clean landing shots...

You make it sound like a poor fight.
    I thought it was an excellent fight tbh, two very high level operators.

GGG KO

And I thought it was his best performance in a long time.
    I forget how long exactly but he has been on the slide since around 2 fights before the Brook fight.
    Even though still slower than Canelo he and Canelo both upped their game since the last fight.
    I thought it was a great fight compared to the last and had what the last one lacked which was a poor fight I thought.

I think GGG should pack it in now though as I can't see him improving on last night's performance at this stage of his life

Canelo KO
    You make it sound like a poor fight.
    I thought it was an excellent fight tbh, two very high level operators.

I thought it was a good fight. Just felt that GGG looked very sluggish..

Fight 1 was better.

GGG KO

Fight 1 was better.

:pac:
    You'll be saying Spike won his fight next!:p :pac:

Canelo KO
    blade1 wrote: »
    :pac:
    You'll be saying Spike won his fight next!:p :pac:

Both different kind fights. I enjoyed fight 1 better. There seemed more zip and fire in it. GGG was better in fight 1 because he was more aggressive and pressed more. Fight 2 was probably overall the busier, but fight 1 was more intense and exciting. Honestly, GGG looked somewhat uninterested last night. He just looked stale throughout...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I had Golovkin up by about at least two rounds. Was very curious as to why he didn't finish him off when he had Canelo in trouble at a number of stages towards the latter end of the fight. Cos he knew he wasn't gonna get the decision.

From the first thirty seconds of the Spike fight I knew he was in trouble. He looked very scared of Lemieux's power right from the off and you could hear the thump of the punches against Spike's gloves. It was only a matter of time before he got caught. As Billy Joe Saunders would say, there are levels to this thing. But I thought he would have last til about the fifth or sixth round.

GGG KO
    I had Golovkin up by about at least two rounds. Was very curious as to why he didn't finish him off when he had Canelo in trouble at a number of stages towards the latter end of the fight. Cos he knew he wasn't gonna get the decision.

He tried, Canelo was able to avoid his follow up punches.

GGG was also fairly spent. He was breathing heavy from very early doors in between rounds. I'm amazed at his stamina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Canelo KO
    I always find the Fight Score app to be a good gauge of a fight. Last night from 1386 fan scorecards it was 116-113 Golovkin. 

Clear rounds for GGG: 1,4,5,9,10,11
    Clear rounds for Canelo: 2,3,6
    Toss-ups: 7,8,12

No matter how you look at it Canelo was a lucky boy, yet again.

Advertisement