Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GGG V Canelo - Sept 16th( See First post for Info on How to Watch)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,983 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Canelo KO
    This is just the madness of scoring..

Rd 1 was not near clear for GGG. I gave it to Canelo.

There were a fair few close rds. But I found it difficult to give these rds to GGG

My 117-112 card could easily have been 119-110 Canelo had I given couple of the close rds to Canelo as opposed to GGG. Conversely, my card could have read 115-114 Canelo had I given couple close Canelo rds to GGG..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

GGG KO
    Henno30 wrote: »
    I always find the Fight Score app to be a good gauge of a fight. Last night from 1386 fan scorecards it was 116-113 Golovkin. 

Clear rounds for GGG: 1,4,5,9,10,11
    Clear rounds for Canelo: 2,3,6
    Toss-ups: 7,8,12

No matter how you look at it Canelo was a lucky boy, yet again.

Almost exactly how I scored it at the time.

I see it gave Garcia the win over Porter last week as well.

The only thing I'll say is perhaps the users are heavily open to the influence of fight commentators?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭blade1

GGG KO
    walshb wrote: »
    This is just the madness of scoring..

Rd 1 was not near clear for GGG. I gave it to Canelo.
    Ah but if people are on about giving close rounds to a fighter that was definitely GGG's round using that logic imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I did think GGG scraped it but the commentary on Eir was very pro-GGG. They were describing some rounds as clear GGG rounds and I was unsure what fight they were watching. Plenty of rounds were very close.

Canelo KO
    blade1 wrote: »
    Ah but if people are on about giving close rounds to a fighter that was definitely GGG's round using that logic imo.

I’ll watch it again. Was close rd but I thought Canelo deserved it. Same for some other close rds.

My actual point was in refuting the claim that it was a clear GGG rd. That is definitely not something I can entertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Are people mistaking commentator's opinions for bias?

GGG KO
    I just re watched rounds 5-9 with no commentary.
    Given that all judges had it 2-2 after 4 and gave GGG 10 and 11, I guess these rounds are crucial.

Rd 5- Clear GGG
    Rd 6- Clear Canelo
    Rd 7- GGG
    Rd 8- Canelo (just)
    Rd 9- Hard to split them

Based on giving the 10th and 11th to GGG and the 12th to Canelo I can justify a draw (if you gave the 8th and 9th to Canelo) but it's hard to see how GGG lost.

GGG KO
    Just looking at the judges scores- all 3 gave Canelo the 5th.
    That's a joke, I can't see that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

GGG KO
    Can't understand why golovkin didn't go to the body more - barely remember him landing any at all. Think it was similar in the first fight whereas it was such an effective tool throughout much of his career.

GGG KO
    Based on my rewatch I can't see how Canelo won.
    You could justify anything from GGG by 116-112 to a Draw but there is no way Canelo won.

I challenge anyone to re watch the 5th and try to tell me how Canelo won that round. All 3 judges gave that to Canelo which is why GGG lost the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points
    It'll either be Canelo fighting Lemiex or GGG next so on that basis I'm all for a third fight.

GGG's team have to endure the fight happens outside of Vegas this time though.

GGG KO
    pac_man wrote: »
    When I initially watched the fight, I gave the round to Golovkin. I had a look at that round with the commentary off, it's alot more competitive and can see why the judges gave it to Canelo. Canelo landed some good shots to the body in that round.

I just watched it without commentary and my notes are that:
    5th 'GGG landing multiple jabs and Power shots. Canelo Missing everything'
    In the 6th I Gave it to Canelo clearly for 'Great body work'

Are you sure you have the rounds right?

Before the last round...
    6-5 GGG for me. Canelo looks more tired though.
    After the last round...
    Right decision.
    Good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

I think ultimately GGG didn't do enough to beat Canelo in Vegas. Both men are tough as nails and it was never going to be in KO. GGG had to make it convincing, and he really didn't.

Canelo KO

I must rewatch rds 1 to 6. I only gave GGG rd 4, and rd 4 was close. No issue with Canelo 6/0 up or 5/1 up. No issue with closer scores, as a few of the first 6 were close..

Rewatched rd 5. Sticking with Canelo. Both scored pretty much even as regards punches, but Canelo was the one moving GGG around. Pushing him back, and being more the ring general..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Canelo KO
    pac_man wrote: »
    He was never quick in the first place but I think it was fairly evident that he's got slower. He'd need to get closer to Canelo to go more to the body and by coming in, he might have been weary of getting countered.

He's definitely slower. Worth remembering he was never a great pocket fighter though. Any time he was in that sort of a fight he won through durability and power rather than skill. At the mid-range where he's most comfortable Canelo proved capable of slipping and rolling any shot that had real heat on it.

GGG KO
    I must rewatch rds 1 to 6. I only gave GGG rd 4, and rd 4 was close. No issue with Canelo 6/0 up or 5/1 up. No issue with closer scores, as a few of the first 6 were close..

As i said I watched 5-9 with no commentary (scores from 1-4 are not in dispute) and 5 was a clear GGG round- no dispute in my eyes.
    6 was just as clear in favour of Canelo.
    7,8 and 9 were a lot closer.
    I just can't see how anyone gave Canelo the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Canelo Points
    Thought it was a good fight overall. Personally I thought this fight was closer than the first fight. I cant say I was surprised by the result on the cards though. GGG won the first fight and somehow it ended up a draw on the score cards. Personally I thought this one was close to a draw, I might have shaded it to GGG maybe but probably would have left it a draw.

Canelo KO
    As i said I watched 5-9 with no commentary (scores from 1-4 are not in dispute) and 5 was a clear GGG round- no dispute in my eyes.
    6 was just as clear in favour of Canelo.
    7,8 and 9 were a lot closer.
    I just can't see how anyone gave Canelo the 5th.

Check my edit above...

I stand by giving the 5th to Canelo..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Canelo KO
    qwabercd wrote: »
    Can't understand why golovkin didn't go to the body more - barely remember him landing any at all. Think it was similar in the first fight whereas it was such an effective tool throughout much of his career.

Abel Sanchez specifically told him not to in between one of the rounds. I reckon they were worried about getting countered off of it.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    Big Ears wrote: »
    Abel Sanchez specifically told him not to in between one of the rounds. I reckon they were worried about getting countered off of it.

And he’s far from the most adept and skilled body puncher in close. The risk would not be worth the reward..

GGG KO
    I’m not sure. I thought Canelo didn’t really push the pace on the 5th just took a few wild swings and missed almost all of them. GGG landed jabs and some power punches.

Canelo upped the pace in the 6th for sure and landed some great body blows.

Anyway I guess my pint has been made so I’ll leave it now.

Canelo KO
    Catchweight nonsense. Canelo was a MW boiled down to 154 for several years...

I think they were stretching out/avoiding GGG for a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Canelo KO
    Catcheright nonsense. Canelo was a MW boiled down to 154 for several years...

I think they were stretching out/avoiding GGG for a while..

Of course they were. Didn't require any special insight to predict that a fighter with GGG's style & age would be getting slower every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Canelo Points

Rewatched rd 5. Sticking with Canelo. Both scored pretty much even as regards punches, but Canelo was the one moving GGG around. Pushing him back, and being more the ring general..
    If you're giving rounds for ring generalship then you should've had GGG winning the first fight by a landslide.

Canelo KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    If you're giving rounds for ring generalship then you should've had GGG winning the first fight by a landslide.

Ring generalship is one criterion.

My score on fight 1 was for GGG. Think I had it 8-3-1 for him; but again, there were several/even many rds that could be argued for either man..

Just checked card from fight 1...I had the exact same score but for GGG

117-112 GGG fight 1..8-3-1 GGG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Andy Lee was on OTB this morning and he had Canelo winning, he seemed surprised that so many had GGG winning.

Canelo KO
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Andy Lee was on OTB this morning and he had Canelo winning, he seemed surprised that so many had GGG winning.

I think the animosity that many have since Canelo failed dope tests swayed many into giving GGG the benefit of any doubt. Kind of like they giving him the fight if it’s anyway close..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭blade1

GGG KO
    I think the animosity that many have since Canelo failed dope tests swayed many into giving GGG the benefit of any doubt. Kind of like they giving him the fight if it’s anyway close..

I think many more gave it to GGG because he done the better of the 2 in the ring Saturday night.
    But hey,what do I know.

• Advertisement

Canelo KO
    blade1 wrote: »
    I think many more gave it to GGG because he done the better of the 2 in the ring Saturday night.
    But hey,what do I know.

Yeh, there’s those too!

Advertisement