Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens of the Stone Age - 3Arena Nov 24th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Misfit Love is a classic. Delighted to hear it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

So the argument begins, which was a better encore, the one we got or the one on the setlist?

Was hoping for headache before the gig, but not in my wildest dreams had I expected misfit love again.

That is an impossible question :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Considering Iv had the new album on non stop rotation since its release, I was pumped to hear the new songs. So happy I got to hear a decent amount but surprised they didn't play fortress. It was an amazing gig but yes, we had to move closer towards the front where the sound was much better

Iv been to the newer 3 arena a handful of times and have always felt its soulless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Casual fan really impressed with the band great gig but not so much the sound.
    It's not the venue lads and ladies, been to a multitude of acts here, mostly metal/rock, with a good engineer it's great.
    Far too much kick boom going on , josh vocal not clear enough, guitars buried apart from solos
    Thought the stage lighting was great.
    FWWIW i was in F, 3 rows from balcony front.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Thought the sound was good most of the night, noticed joshs vocal drop in level a few times but that's probably just his technique.
    Was front and centre and sound was perfect, didn't need earplugs at all.

Kick ass light show too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

I felt it was overall a good night. It was my first time seeing qotsa so I didn't the sound difficulties but since people are talking about it i can understand what they mean. I enjoyed it good setlist. Josh could have been more interactive but overall I enjoyed it. I appear Missing was amazing one of my favs. Was near to Michael Shuman damn that man is cool as ****kkk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Iv been to the newer 3 arena a handful of times and have always felt its soulless.

I'd have to agree with this. There's something about this venue.
    Saw QOTSA here back in late 2013. 4th time seeing them. First time underwhelmed seeing them.

8 months later on the same tour I saw them up in Belfast. Outdoor gig. More or less the same setlist. But everything from the sound to atmosphere was 10 fold times better.
    Actually it might be the best gig ive ever seen them at.

I've seem them at the Olympia (amazing), the RDS and Oxegen.

I'd put the two 3 arena gigs as the worst I've seen them at. The sound, venue and atmosphere just doesn't capture the essence of the band at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

ratedR wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with this. There's something about this venue.
    Saw QOTSA here back in late 2013. 4th time seeing them. First time underwhelmed seeing them.

8 months later on the same tour I saw them up in Belfast. Outdoor gig. More or less the same setlist. But everything from the sound to atmosphere was 10 fold times better.
    Actually it might be the best gig ive ever seen them at.

I've seem them at the Olympia (amazing), the RDS and Oxegen.

I'd put the two 3 arena gigs as the worst I've seen them at. The sound, venue and atmosphere just doesn't capture the essence of the band at all.

That's why we gave the gig a miss this time round - was at Radiohead earlier in the year and thought the sound was shocking. So hopefully Nos in Lisbon or Finsbury Park next year instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

That's why we gave the gig a miss this time round - was at Radiohead earlier in the year and thought the sound was shocking. So hopefully Nos in Lisbon or Finsbury Park next year instead!

Nos had excellent sound quality on the main stage and heineken stage. Was there this year. Going to werchter next year so I'm hoping for the best with qotsa then

I found the sound was great for QOTSA four years ago. I don't know what happened this time. I would say a sloppy person at the sound mixing desk, who cranked the volume up to 11....or a band who didn't soundcheck beforehand.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Did anyone see Broncho ? :P

First time in the 3 Arena in a loooong time....
    The "Queue" outside was a bit baffling ! Not much barriers, and people just lining up all around the perimeter to get into Entrance 1, we joined the queue and it merged (cut away from the main queue) and we were in in 5mins, whereas the rest of the Q were still lined all around the 'plaza' ...
    Why not have more signs up for the different entrances ? This would save the (grumpy) staff outside being asked 100's of times where is Entrance 1/3 etc ....
    I wasn't checked/frisked on the way in, ticket scanned and in.
    Great gig though

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I thought the gig was decent, not great. Sound was a bit crap, I noticed this right from when I entered the arena and could hear the support's last song. It was just awful, sound and song. It was far better for QOTSA but overall it was up to 11 and just too muddy, only when the solos or big riffs were played did anything stand out from the mix.

The lights were cool but the way the band slapped them around all the time got a bit gimmicky too quick. Some of the new songs dragged, particularly Villains of Circumstance. I don't want to be one of those guys who wants the hits every time but come on, it was a long enough set list that they should have had a bit more Rated R in there for good measure. Can't believe they only played Monsters from it.

I'm in the camp of "they were better back in the day". While still amazing musicians, you miss the dynamic of having the few vocalists and mixture of some screaming singing, Mark Lanegan's deep vocals to mix it up. I wish Josh got himself a bassist who would also do Nick's vocals/songs live, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I thought the gig was decent, not great. Sound was a bit crap, I noticed this right from when I entered the arena and could hear the support's last song. It was just awful, sound and song. It was far better for QOTSA but overall it was up to 11 and just too muddy, only when the solos or big riffs were played did anything stand out from the mix.

The lights were cool but the way the band slapped them around all the time got a bit gimmicky too quick. Some of the new songs dragged, particularly Villains of Circumstance. I don't want to be one of those guys who wants the hits every time but come on, it was a long enough set list that they should have had a bit more Rated R in there for good measure. Can't believe they only played Monsters from it.

I'm in the camp of "they were better back in the day". While still amazing musicians, you miss the dynamic of having the few vocalists and mixture of some screaming singing, Mark Lanegan's deep vocals to mix it up. I wish Josh got himself a bassist who would also do Nick's vocals/songs live, but no.

A fair point. Sucked the life out of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Someone was asking about YouTube gigs earlier.

This is basically a similar set to Friday only recorded in August for BBC mader vale. Small crowd and great sound - except for the first track where one of the guitars is way too loud/overloaded.

https://youtu.be/WG2iHuJnV8c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If anyone got one of the posters at the gig and has maybe changed their mind, please let me know. We have posters from 2 previous gigs in the living room and missed the last one by a few seconds at the gig on Friday.

Bronco started well, but the singer was crazy and the songs started to sound very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Benefits of seeing them more than once on one tour - saw the encore from the set list in Amsterdam, got misfit love in Dublin. Winning :D

Michael Shuman is well able to sing/scream. Tbh I kinda get the impression they're sick of the whole screaming thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Can only speak about my experience but where I was (stage left) the sound was great. Probably preferred the last 3arena gig over this one but only due to setlist choices. From the sounds of it people got very unlucky from where they ended up because where I was seemed to be mostly consistent of long time fans who knew every word to every song. Fantastic atmosphere with everyone dancing, smoking, drinking and joking the whole night I can't stress how great the atmosphere was. This is my 6th or 7th time seeing them now, has to be said they rarely if ever disappoint, they are just on another level compared to most other modern rock bands. It was great to see security taking a step back and letting the crowd look after one another, only getting involved if they absolutely had to. After almost being treated as an afterthought for years by QOTSA, ever since that Olympia gig for the first album anniversary they seem to developing quite the soft spot for Ireland, Dublin in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

Josh told the story of yer man hitching a lift in the back of the van with a Mcdonalds burger again. Never get tired of that story haha. "If you're here I'll suck your dick". Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Michael Shuman is well able to sing/scream. Tbh I kinda get the impression they're sick of the whole screaming thing..
    He screams at the start of verses for Millionaire, but with Josh singing the rest it's not a patch on what it should sound like.
    Gijoseph wrote: »
    Josh told the story of yer man hitching a lift in the back of the van with a Mcdonalds burger again. Never get tired of that story haha. "If you're here I'll suck your dick". Lol

He made it sound like it happened on their last visit but as you say, he told it before. His intro to Sat By the Ocean was cheesey.

Didn't enjoy Josh's f bombs. Thought he was classier than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Wooderson

*they seem to developing quite the soft spot for Dublin*

The double header in the Ambo was ace.

Very disappointing that the Vultures and Iggy tours never came here. Don’t believe Josh’s drunk waffle. He was back in London for an acoustic session on Sat afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy Josh's f bombs. Thought he was classier than that

d494caeff7a54ae47f0b0390c3e8032336654558639b004cce5bf6466c378009.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Raoul

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Glad they don't play Burn The Witch. Always hated it

Why?? :confused::confused::eek::eek:

Raoul wrote: »
    Why?? :confused::confused::eek::eek:

Each to his own taste, but I've always found it a song that goes nowhere

MrStuffins wrote: »
    d494caeff7a54ae47f0b0390c3e8032336654558639b004cce5bf6466c378009.jpg

An overload of f bomb is not clever. Sounded like he had Tourettes

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ciantheod

Listen anyone whinging about sound quality when listening to a band brought up on playing music through diesel generators in the desert, jog on...

Wooderson wrote: »
    The double header in the Ambo was ace.

Very disappointing that the Vultures and Iggy tours never came here. Don’t believe Josh’s drunk waffle. He was back in London for an acoustic session on Sat afternoon.

Yeah tbh I cringed when he said they chose Dublin to end the tour with, it simply made sense with their schedule. Some people around me seemed to actually believe it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Wooderson wrote:

Oh obviously the whole we picked this city to close the tour spiel was just a generic frontman cliche line. But ive seen more than one interview in other countries where they tell the whole mcdonalds Dublin story when asked about their favourite tour memories and Ireland is becoming a more regular stop for them.

Advertisement