Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/884430213119127553
    Today 10th July 2017 Gardai from DMR Traffic Dublin Castle and National Transport Authority conducted a checkpoint on the Malahide road. This is one of a series of such checkpoints carried out in recent weeks. Today 5 taxis were detected for the offence of not using the shortest route. This offence results in a prosecution via summons and carries and fine of up to 2500 euro. Two other detections were made for overcharging. These will result in a fixed charge penalty notice which carries a 60 euro fine. During a similar checkpoint last week 6 taxis were detected for failing to use the shortest route and 3 for overcharging. These types of joint operations Gardai and NTA will continue throughout the summer months. Gardai wish to stress that the vast majority of taxis stopped were fully compliant with the legislation. However members of the public engaging the services of a taxi should establish the likely cost in advance of the proposed journey. They should also examine the receipt to ensure that date, time are accurately recorded and all additions applied are valid. (Number of passengers is recorded accurately, booking fees are applied only when taxis is pre booked) A customer walking up to a taxi rank and engaging a taxi does not attract a pre- booking fee. The public should also use the Driver Check App at https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-driver-check/ which will allow the public check that the taxi driver and also the vehicle are properly licensed anyone with concerns should contact Gardaí

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

markc1184 wrote: »

Fair play, been many times Taxi drivers assumed i was too drunk to notice them taking the scenic route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

And then many protest against uber..
    In Warsaw I've also had many instances where the taxi simply took a different route even though we are within minutes of my house.
    They then play the oh oops card.
    Uber at least you know the won't take stupid routes cause the fare is already told beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

How does a checkpoint find out a taxi is not on the shortest route?

I imagine they just ask the passenger where they were picked up and where they're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I imagine they just ask the passenger where they were picked up and where they're going.
    One or two lads I know will fake a scumbag Dub accent to ensure they get the shortest route; speaking in their natural english accent would get them the "scenic' route :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Location of that checkpoint i'd say is targeting the Airport runs...Id say they are bringing clueless people to the city centre via clarehall :mad:

DEZQoNIXsAEk0Ua.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭blackwhite

This post has been deleted.

Given where they did the check, I'd guess they asked for start point and destination. And then got a number of taxis bringing tourists to the airport via Malahide road instead of out through Drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I'm not defending those taxi men, but its a world wide scam. Generally you get asked by a taxi man arriving at an airport - "First time in ______?" That's when they decide their route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yep, taxi's at airports, train stations.... heard some horror stories.
    €25 for a taxi from Rotterdam Central Station to the Hilton Hotel. was one of the "best"
    That is a 5 minute walk. View is blocked by high rise building otherwise you could see the hotel from the entrance of the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Would the driver still charge the passenger the full fare or I wonder if they simply write it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not so loving it now in the astra;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

an empty window.. at that rate take down the holder so people can't tell you have no tax from across the road

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Merc is a nice bus and the 2nd is hilarious as they could have parked anywhere else and not actually drawn attention.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Pity they can't sell the cars (to cover the fines, etc) as opposed to crush them - some fine cars going begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

For a car to be seized can it be either tax, insurance or NCT that can cause it to be seized or does it have to be two or more? I'm assuming you have to get your documents in order within a certain time to get it back then pay a tow/release fee?

Nice to see so many cars taken off the roads.

Shame they aren't auctioned off like the abandoned/stolen bicycles that aren't claimed around the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Patser

Mr Snow wrote: »

The operation sign off one.

Fairly sure that's a small Independent Dealer across road from GAA ticket office. Always crams cars into yard at night, then moves them onto footpath for display by day (and also to give some customer parking spaces).

Wonder is this a trend, they lifted cars off another dealership down by Phoenix Park recently, parked on roadside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Why are some cars impounded and others are for crushing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭Damien360

markc1184 wrote: »
    Why are some cars impounded and others are for crushing?

I assume value. Impounding a car worth €500 and it will just be left there. Someone has to foot the bill for impounding it and it won't be the person with that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Guards should have a licence crusher with them

Crush your license into a cube in front of you on the roadside and see you later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

no official car parks provided for that match

the ground is in a residential area
    minimal public transport as its on a Sunday
    where are the supporters meant to park?
    genuine question

don't penalise supporters for the poor location and planning of facilities of a stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    no official car parks provided for that match

the ground is in a residential area
    minimal public transport as its on a Sunday
    where are the supporters meant to park?
    genuine question

don't penalise supporters for the poor location and planning of facilities of a stadium

Bad planning? It was built in the late 50s, when you took your turf home from the bog with a donkey and cycled everywhere.

Lack of parking around a stadium doesn't mean you park selfishly, blocking a footpath and inconvenience the elderly, those in wheelchairs and parents in buggies.
    If you wish to park wherever you like, with no regard for anyone else, you should also be accepting if any penalties attached in doing so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement