Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

markc1184 wrote: »
    Why are some cars impounded and others are for crushing?
    I wonder is it because they can't prove ownership?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if you wish to host an event with the need of many hundreds of parking spaces; there should be access to many hundreds of parking spaces

If that means they need to run shuttle busses from other parking lots then they should be required to do it, otherwise they shouldn't be allowed to have the capacity as high for the events

This is people buying tickets and making a journey to a planned event which does not have the means to accommodate them. Yes it's still selfish to park blocking the foot paths but it's clearly not a case of people just being lazy & selfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I'm the opposite of a GAA apologist if you're referring to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Same would be required then every week of every church outside Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    no official car parks provided for that match

the ground is in a residential area
    minimal public transport as its on a Sunday
    where are the supporters meant to park?
    genuine question

don't penalise supporters for the poor location and planning of facilities of a stadium

Plenty of places in Salthill to park within walking distance both along the seafront and in the residential areas surrounding the stadium, there's also multi-story car parks in Galway City centre with a regular bus service going to Salthill. No excuse really, fail to prepare, prepare to fail get a ticket and penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

no official car parks provided for that match

the ground is in a residential area
    minimal public transport as its on a Sunday
    where are the supporters meant to park?
    genuine question

don't penalise supporters for the poor location and planning of facilities of a stadium

Typical Irish attitude. Sure the law doesn't apply to me I'm going to watch the match!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Completely agree with Atlantic dawn. There is ample parking space in the multi story car parks near Eyre square where people can get a bus to salthill which will let you off outside the stadium. There is plenty of on street parking along the prom. I do think that people going to these matches need to take personal responsibility for the way they park. Fair play to the gardai for ticketing these people

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder is it because they can't prove ownership?

All cars are impounded initially, a letter is then sent to the registered owner informing them that they have until a certain date to pay the fines/storage fees and collect the car. if they aren't claimed within a certain date then they are crushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

if you wish to host an event with the need of many hundreds of parking spaces; there should be access to many hundreds of parking spaces

If that means they need to run shuttle busses from other parking lots then they should be required to do it, otherwise they shouldn't be allowed to have the capacity as high for the events

This is people buying tickets and making a journey to a planned event which does not have the means to accommodate them. Yes it's still selfish to park blocking the foot paths but it's clearly not a case of people just being lazy & selfish

Can you not park somewhere and bus it or taxi it there yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Typical Irish attitude. Sure the law doesn't apply to me I'm going to watch the match!

The supporters going to a match somewhere in the arsehole of Longford on a drizzly Sunday with the whole family (most likely sprogs screaming and being brats) crammed into the Corolla Verso where the players don't know they exist, prefer to practice MMA rather than play fubble and pay extortionate prices to line the pockets of a corrupt body... Quintessential goals rolled into one :cool:

Anyways... Mind if I raid that 406 before it's crushed? :P
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/885529914723708928

TallGlass wrote: »
    Can you not park somewhere and bus it or taxi it there yourself.

They could do that, but they shouldn't be allowed to run an event that doesn't have stuff like this planned.

I'm not apologising for the people parking on the foot paths. But it's no different to the hundreds of metres of metal barriers which are put up for every other event that are used to shape where people go.

I'm saying the GAA should be ordered to lower their capacity / hire many stewards to stop people from parking badly / acquire more parking spaces / pay for, and or organise shuttle busses

Nothing in big multi thousand person events can be left for the people to figure out for themselves. They can't be blamed more than the event organisers for allowing them to do it.

A lot of time, effort, and money goes into planning of other events where they take this exact thing into account, why should the GAA get away with causing havoc and requiring 40+ gardai doing point duty the entire way out of Galway after every single match that draws a crowd?

Look at how Thomond park was run at the start vs now. Cars abandoned everywhere and they went through a process of organising shuttle busses from the likes of the two mile in to stop people from even nearly entering the city from that side with cars. Now the parking isn't much of a problem at all with the way they have the LIT car parks flowing and strict policing about the parking at the surrounding houses.

If you think punters figured out this system for themselves....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

They could do that, but they shouldn't be allowed to run an event that doesn't have stuff like this planned.

I'm not apologising for the people parking on the foot paths. But it's no different to the hundreds of metres of metal barriers which are put up for every other event that are used to shape where people go.

I'm saying the GAA should be ordered to lower their capacity / hire many stewards to stop people from parking badly / acquire more parking spaces / pay for, and or organise shuttle busses

Nothing in big multi thousand person events can be left for the people to figure out for themselves. They can't be blamed more than the event organisers for allowing them to do it.

A lot of time, effort, and money goes into planning of other events where they take this exact thing into account, why should the GAA get away with causing havoc and requiring 40+ gardai doing point duty the entire way out of Galway after every single match that draws a crowd?

Look at how Thomond park was run at the start vs now. Cars abandoned everywhere and they went through a process of organising shuttle busses from the likes of the two mile in to stop people from even nearly entering the city from that side with cars. Now the parking isn't much of a problem at all with the way they have the LIT car parks flowing and strict policing about the parking at the surrounding houses.

If you think punters figured out this system for themselves....

Why can't people just take a little bit of responsibility for themselves?

Everything you say above will increase the price of the match day ticket, much better for everyone if only those breaking the law are penalized.

One of the things I remember most about going to GAA matches as a kid with my father was the length of the walk from where he legally parked the car to the pitch, and this was 20-25 years ago when illegal parking was tolerated more than now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyways... Mind if I raid that 406 before it's crushed? :P
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/885529914723708928
    I reckon there is a market for all of those vehicles.
    I wouldnt mind the berlingo!

We really should send them to auction rather than crushing them.
    That';s what they do inn most countries - auction.

amcalester wrote: »
    Why can't people just take a little bit of responsibility for themselves?

Everything you say above will increase the price of the match day ticket, much better for everyone if only those breaking the law are penalized.

One of the things I remember most about going to GAA matches as a kid with my father was the length of the walk from where he legally parked the car to the pitch, and this was 20-25 years ago when illegal parking was tolerated more than now.

Look, it's a planning issue, it costs the state XXX's of man hours to have all those gardai cleaning up the parking catastrophe and traffic after. why should the people going to that event not pick up the tab?

You can expect people to take responsibility for themselves up to a point but at big events some people just behave like sheep and they need to be guided by hand into behaving properly, that costs money, why would the GAA not pay it instead of letting the gardai have to deal with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Look, it's a planning issue, it costs the state XXX's of man hours to have all those gardai cleaning up the parking catastrophe and traffic after. why should the people going to that event not pick up the tab?

You can expect people to take responsibility for themselves up to a point but at big events some people just behave like sheep and they need to be guided by hand into behaving properly, that costs money, why would the GAA not pay it instead of letting the gardai have to deal with it?

The gaa pay the gardai.
    They get charged based on the number of gardai required to police each event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The Gardai do receive money for policing these (and other) events, over €30m since 2010 so I don't buy that as an argument.

As with lots of others issues in Ireland it comes down to personal responsibility, park where you shouldn't, get a ticket.

Don't like it, don't park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

ELM327 wrote: »
    I reckon there is a market for all of those vehicles.
    I wouldnt mind the berlingo!

We really should send them to auction rather than crushing them.
    That';s what they do inn most countries - auction.
    conor2469 wrote: »
    All cars are impounded initially, a letter is then sent to the registered owner informing them that they have until a certain date to pay the fines/storage fees and collect the car. if they aren't claimed within a certain date then they are crushed.

Any unclaimed vehicles become property of Revenue.

Only vehicles which are non-roadworthy are scrapped, the rest are either auctioned (Wilsons handle most Revenue/Gardaí seized auctions) or are retained for Garda or Revenue use.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GM228 wrote: »
    Any unclaimed vehicles become property of Revenue.

Only vehicles which are non-roadworthy are scrapped, the rest are either auctioned (Wilsons handle most Revenue/Gardaeized auctions) or are retained for Garda or Revenue use.

Is that where the drugs squads motors come from then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

ED E wrote: »

Pretty much. The old armoured BMW X5's came off a CAB seizure from Limerick I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

ironclaw wrote: »
    Pretty much. The old armoured BMW X5's came off a CAB seizure from Limerick I believe.

One of those is part of the armed response in Cork. 2005 reg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Bad planning? It was built in the late 50s, when you took your turf home from the bog with a donkey and cycled everywhere.

Lack of parking around a stadium doesn't mean you park selfishly, blocking a footpath and inconvenience the elderly, those in wheelchairs and parents in buggies.
    If you wish to park wherever you like, with no regard for anyone else, you should also be accepting if any penalties attached in doing so

it was redeveloped in the early 2000s actually
    up until that point Tuam was used for Galway football games

why do the Gardai and GAA not just put out bollards for the event and prevent parking on the pavement?
    some residents abandon their cars like that on footpaths in towns across Ireland daily but they are never penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

it was redeveloped in the early 2000s actually
    up until that point Tuam was used for Galway football games

why do the Gardai and GAA not just put out bollards for the event and prevent parking on the pavement?
    some residents abandon their cars like that on footpaths in towns across Ireland daily but they are never penalised

Because Gardai see it as below them, councils job. Councils are tragically bad at getting the day to day things done. Dublin has 6x towing trucks that arent
    active for most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

ED E wrote: »

Yes, Gardaí and Revenue have many vehicles on their books which were seized - as do many private individuals courtesy of public auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

...... why do the Gardai and GAA not just put out bollards for the event and prevent parking on the pavement?

Because its assumed that if you have a driving licence you know the road rules and the footpath is for feet, not for the convenience of the lazy. Find an appropriate place to park and walk to the stadium - FFS the guards are there to police an area and make it safe for all, not to put bollards on a footpath to stop lazy f*ckers stopping on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

A local shop has put a cone wiith Gardai warning, along with an in-store notice that due to complaints and safety concerns the drivers of cars parked illegally outside the shop will be fined.

It was supposed to be a warning before action is taken.

I have seen number of cars driving over this cone, hitting it etc just to park there.

Can't wait to see actual fines being handed, but it seems that not much changed. It is marginally better, but they still park right in front of the shop.

Pure laziness. Nothing else. The car park behind the shop is half empty all the time, but they don't even try to drive up there - it takes 20-30 seconds to walk from there to the shop...

I have seen people stopping in the middle of the road to get their roll and paper:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

No parking around the Aviva stadium either, sure they don't even let you lock your bicycle on the busy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

The same reason in every rural town across the country there's still rampant drink driving going on within earshot of garda stations. The gardaí are lazy and don't care about doing their job the majority of the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement