Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

High speed (180kmph+) driving is exhausting - Really mentally draining.

(Autobahn obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

bear1 wrote: »
    Maxed out at just under 220 on the autobahn last week.
    Tell ya it's frightening. The adrenaline seriously pops and it's not pleasant as you're constantly expecting something so you don't fully enjoy it.
    That being said, the autobahn may mostly be unrestricted but good luck getting to enjoy it for long with the amount of traffic and road works they have.

That 220 on the speedo ?
    I was doing 230kph on the speedo and the gps was reading 208 :D
    She was still pulling like mad but I lost my nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

That 220 on the speedo ?
    I was doing 230kph on the speedo and the gps was reading 208 :D
    She was still pulling like mad but I lost my nerve.

No GPS, it was reading i think 233 or so on the speedo but i wasn't looking too much at the speed.
    It was maxed out at that point but it got there surprisingly quickly for a 10 year old diesel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

fullstop wrote: »
    :rolleyes: if you want to drive like that, move to Germany.

Where exactly did I say I wanted to drive like that? :rolleyes:

For all we know that driver could have been the only car on that road. On the other hand he could have been treating other road users like a complete dick. We don't know, all we know is a number.

And just because you're driving within the limit doesn't mean you're driving safely or with consideration, either.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Have you seen dashcams from the autobahn? So many people pull out in front of cars and bikes doing 250-300kph and it takes a good distance to slow down and not rear end them. And that's on a road where they're allowed do that. As someone else pointed out, we're expecting other motorists to 120 and wouldn't see them coming.

Happened to me pulling onto the M7. Speeding up on the slip and the left lane was only going about 100 so I went to the passing lane to do 120, next thing you know the car behind me that was miles back as I changed lane was on my arse and I mean miles back. Must've been doing 160 or something absurd because I've never seen a car in the distance catch up so quickly.

I don't care if nobodies on the roads, 191kph is unacceptable. Keep it on the track, not public roads. Obviously there was someone on the road though. He got pulled. What if he lost control and took out someone in the hard shoulder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Tabnabs wrote: »

This happens all the time, about time they started to check it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

DaveyDave wrote: »

Happened to me pulling onto the M7. Speeding up on the slip and the left lane was only going about 100 so I went to the passing lane to do 120, next thing you know the car behind me that was miles back as I changed lane was on my arse and I mean miles back. Must've been doing 160 or something absurd because I've never seen a car in the distance catch up so quickly.

Typical S M I D S Y.
    "There are none so blind as those who cannot (will not) see" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Have you seen dashcams from the autobahn? So many people pull out in front of cars and bikes doing 250-300kph and it takes a good distance to slow down and not rear end them. And that's on a road where they're allowed do that. As someone else pointed out, we're expecting other motorists to 120 and wouldn't see them coming.

I don't care if nobodies on the roads, 191kph is unacceptable. Keep it on the track, not public roads. Obviously there was someone on the road though. He got pulled. What if he lost control and took out someone in the hard shoulder?

Nah you pulled out in front of him/her - regardless of what speed they may have been doing cars don't appear out of nowhere on motorways even if they are travelling c. 200 kph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Meanwhile on Garda Twitter..

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/889747431038103552

DMR Traffic - Disabled permits being fraudulently used. Permits seized, Cars towed, Court to follow #OperationEnable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The roads rid of 2 more Corsas, bliss :cool:

Wouldn't have minded getting bits off the IP of that Terrano though! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

McCrack wrote: »
    Nah you pulled out in front of him/her - regardless of what speed they may have been doing cars don't appear out of nowhere on motorways even if they are travelling c. 200 kph

No, I didn't pull out on him. He was miles back in the distance. I saw him and saw more than enough room to change lanes safely. I was doing about 125kph when I moved over and when I did move over he was still behind me but approaching fast.

I didn't cut him off, he was just going way too fast. Don't make up nonsense if you weren't there. Even when I moved over he was still way behind me but in a matter of a few seconds he was up my arse driving like a typical wanker in the "fast lane"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Mr Snow wrote: »

No loss there, they all look like piles of ****é anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

No, I didn't pull out on him. He was miles back in the distance. I saw him and saw more than enough room to change lanes safely. I was doing about 125kph when I moved over and when I did move over he was still behind me but approaching fast.

I didn't cut him off, he was just going way too fast. Don't make up nonsense if you weren't there. Even when I moved over he was still way behind me but in a matter of a few seconds he was up my arse driving like a typical wanker in the "fast lane"

No you failed to observe the other vehicle and/or misjudged its speed and you pulled out into the overtaking lane in front of him.

As I said cars travelling at high speeds (c. 200 kph) on motorways dont just magically appear in a blink of an eye....unless perhaps if its the Thrust SSC coming up behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

McCrack wrote: »
    No you failed to observe the other vehicle and/or misjudged its speed and you pulled out into the overtaking lane in front of him.

As I said cars travelling at high speeds (c. 200 kph) on motorways dont just magically appear in a blink of an eye....unless perhaps if its the Thrust SSC coming up behind you.

I hate when people do that and then they are all high and mighty saying I was doing the speed limit. If you want to drive slow go a head but don't act the fool and pull out in front of people, just stay in the left hand lane and if you want to pass by someone who is driving slower than you do so quickly even if it means going over 120km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Compared to everyone else who should be driving up to 120, they are going at greater than 50% of the speed of traffic. Someone planning to overtake, wouldn't see them.

It's not unusual to come upon someone on the m50 doing about 70. , even doing the limit of 100 you come up on them pretty fast. They'd go from spec in the distance to holy **** very quickly at the guts of 200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why can't they enforce bus stop misuse???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I hate when people do that and then they are all high and mighty saying I was doing the speed limit. If you want to drive slow go a head but don't act the fool and pull out in front of people, just stay in the left hand lane and if you want to pass by someone who is driving slower than you do so quickly even if it means going over 120km/h.
    Absolutely not. You'll still get in trouble with a speed check if you do that.
    Listen, I'm no Saint on the road, I've pushed to 140 and beyond (sat nav indicated) but I have never ever presumed to tell another driver they must drive in a way to enable me to do so. I drive to the conditions presented to me, conditions which include other drivers, I'm responsible for no other road user except myself. Everyone has a reason to be there and it doesn't revolve around me.

Will we now see mobility scooters impounded under the same legislation and what about ride on lawn mowers cutting outside private property,? I suppose with no more water protests, traffic corps is at a loose end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Riva10 wrote: »
    Will we now see mobility scooters impounded under the same legislation and what about ride on lawn mowers cutting outside private property,? I suppose with no more water protests, traffic corps is at a loose end.

The RSA distinguish between mobility scooters and other powered vehicles
    Powered vehicles such as a golf buggy, a quad bike, a ride-on lawn mower etc, etc are designed and intended for off-road private use only. These are mechanically propelled vehicles and if used on a public road (public road includes footpath) are subject to all of the regulatory controls that apply to other vehicles. These vehicles would have to be registered, taxed, be subject to vehicle lighting requirements and subject to vehicle construction, equipment and use regulations as regards brakes etc. The driver of the vehicle would have to hold a driving licence and be insured to drive that vehicle. Essentially these vehicles would be subject to all of the road traffic law provisions that apply to mechanically propelled vehicles generally.

An exception is made in the case of powered wheelchairs that are used by persons who have a mobility disability. Powered wheelchairs (including mobility scooters) are regarded for all intents and purposes as having pedestrian status and as being 'the legs' of the wheelchair user and are not regarded as an optional mode of vehicle transport that requires driver licence, registration, motor tax, etc. No distinction is made between self-propelled wheelchairs and powered wheelchairs. Powered wheelchairs can be used on footpaths (it is a penalty point offence for any other mechanically propelled vehicle to drive along a footpath), can enter pedestrianised streets and cycle tracks, can enter buildings etc in the same manner as pedestrians. Wheelchair or mobility scooter users are in special circumstances as regards essential personal mobility needs arising from a disability and, as already stated, the wheelchair is therefore regarded as an extension of the person rather than as a mode of transport vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Riva10 wrote: »

If your wife/sibling/husband/child was killed in a road traffic collision a guard, often times a member of traffic corps would need to call on your door and other next of kin's doors to notify you.

They've had to do it 88 times already this year so I contest your assertion that they are at a loose end.

D Trent wrote: »
    If your wife/sibling/husband/child was killed in a road traffic collision a guard, often times a member of traffic corps would need to call on your door and other next of kin's doors to notify you.

They've had to do it 88 times already this year so I contest your assertion that they are at a loose end.

You can contest whatever you like . It still does'nt change the fact that the Gardai have not enamoured themselves with their heavy handed attitude to water protesters or their days in the witness box of late.
    As you would appear to have access to statistics can you answer the following
    How many cyclists have received fines for breaking red lights (Traffic) ?
    How many unregistered quad bikes have been impounded?
    How many ride on lawnmower operators have been prosecuted?
    :D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭la ultima guagua

Back to earth question :

What category do electric assisted push bikes come under ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What category do electric assisted push bikes come under ?

If they are assisted, and have a maximum speed of 30kph (IIRC), they are bikes.
    If they can proceed under their own power (without the rider having to use the pedals), and/or can go faster, they are mopeds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement