Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's very clear the focal point of that picture, and it's not the car. It's clear sexism at it's best. Who ever took picture was capturing his subject and it was front and centre.

Maybe the bean-Gardai should have burkas as their uniform, it'd cut that right out

:rolleyes:

Or maybe introduce a rule - no photographing female members of the force under any circumstances, in case someone on Boards gets triggered... ffs

I was looking at the €5 pizza offer :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Maybe the bean-Gardai should have burkas as their uniform, it'd cut that right out

Or maybe introduce a rule - no photographing female members of the force under any circumstances, in case someone on Boards gets triggered... ffs

Doesn't bother me, I'm just stating the obvious. He could clearly say, 'excuse me Ms, I want to capture this on camera can you move out of my shot'' , why say that though when she was the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Killinator

Doesn't bother me, I'm just stating the obvious. He could clearly say, 'excuse me Ms, I want to capture this on camera can you move out of my shot'' , why say that though when she was the shot.
    Or maybe he's showing it was a plain clothes officer as stated in the tweet, or maybe 'they' just took a photo and didn't realise how sexist 'they' were being.
    Is it sexist to presume a man took the photo like you did?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

A flat arse i think.

Every photo has a focal point, it's the subject. When you look at that picture what do we all see, the focal point. Camera doesn't lie.
    The focal point is the rear of a female officer in skinny tight jeans. The focal point of a photograph is an insight into the mind of the photographer who captured it.

• Advertisement

Would he have to do the same if a male member of the force was standing there, or is it just women who require special treatment?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Less chat more pics

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Every photo has a focal point, it's the subject. When you look at that picture what do we all see, the focal point. Camera doesn't lie.
    The focal point is the rear of a female officer in skinny tight jeans. The focal point of a photograph is an insight into the mind of the photographer who captured it.

You're a male, so what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The focal point is the plain-clothes Garda who prevented a crime in progress, and who has her back turned because they clearly have more sense than to publish a pic of the face of a plain-clothes Garda.

But if it'll make your evening to work yourself into an offended tizz about it then please, don't let common sense get in your way.

blackwhite wrote: »
    The focal point is the plain-clothes Garda who prevented a crime in progress, and who has her back turned because they clearly have more sense than to publish a pic of the face of a plain-clothes Garda.

But if it'll make your evening to work yourself into an offended tizz about it then please, don't let common sense get in your way.

That why have her in photo at all/ plus her badge in on her back.

• Advertisement

If it was a man standing there, you may not be getting so uptight about it, that still doesn't mean it's not giving some of the audience a wide-on

Getting offended on behalf of others because they're too brown or female to get sufficiently offended on their own behalf, is the dumbest form of offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Killinator

That why have her in photo at all/ plus her badge in on her back.

Because they said it was plain clothes and she's one of the officers who was part of the operation.
    There's no Garda number visible to identify her, so unless you personally knew her you still couldn't tell who she was despite her being in the picture.
    Also she'll be aware the photo was posted online so if she's a problem with it I'm sure shell have it taken down without you getting offended for her.
    or maybe she doesn't realise it's sexism either, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

How do you know another female policewoman didn't take that photo? Is it still sexism then?
    Or is it only if a male Garda takes the pic?
    If it was a male in the picture would you still post that it's sexism?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

They all have lovely bottoms!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Typical comment from a dirty minded aul man whose focal point is the Gárda. If you do'nt like the picture, do'nt look at it. Never heard a comment about male Gárda's ass in previous pictures. Say a decade of The Rosary and go to Specsavers .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wow that escalated quickly......

Simple answer to why is the guard in the photo and its because he or she has the stab vest that clearly has Garda printed on it.

They have an un marked Mondeo off to the side and the whole point of the twitter feed is to promote their finds and actions taken.

If someone thinks she is good looking that's fine and I'm sure if it was a well in shape guy girls or guys may find them nice also.

Big deal..... No .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Maybe it's also to put a human element to it? She's dressed as I'd expect someone in their early-mid twenties, I don't see many Gardaí that age. To me it shows me that there is young women in the force. Also the whole car and tow truck are present in the picture, you'd swear it was pointing down at her arse the way people are going on.

I'd wouldn't be bothered if they had pictures of a male Garda and yes, it's not common to see other members of the Garda in pictures and understand it's a bit different, but it could be for reasons I mentioned. Or she could be 37 years old for all I know, but anyway...less dodgy cars on the street, let's not forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Very surprised these individuals actually stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mr Snow wrote: »

That's an interesting one, surely it's more of an issue between you and your insurer of not declaring your occupation and intended use of the motorbike rather than a road traffic offence? Is there such an offence? There's also no way to tax a motorbike as a commercial vehicle even if the owner wanted to, such vehicle class doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Mr Snow wrote: »

what road traffic law did they break?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Most bike insurance policies don't allow commercial/courier use.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They have blanked out a business advert on the bikes I think??
    They are clearly not insured for delivering food etc so would that not give the insurance company carte blanche to refuse to cover them in case of an accident or to declare them not covered to be on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

If you are using a vehicle for an activity not covered by your insurance policy you can be prosecuted for driving with no insurance even though you have a valid policy of insurance otherwise.

There is a body of case law on the matter, but the recent High Court judicial review case Ighovojah vs Judge Smyth & DPP [2016] IEHC 505 gives the best read on the matter.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement