Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

But in Ighovojah vs Judge Smyth & DPP he was disqualified when he took out the policy so it would be void ab initio. He would certainly have no protection from have a certificate of insurance.

The Ighovojah case gave approval to the UK High Court Mangal Singh vs Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council [2007] EWHC 522 case which deals with the matter where a taxi driver was convicted for driving with no insurnce even though he had a valid policy as his policy didn't cover that activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    what road traffic law did they break?

no commercial insurance

Have there been any successful S56 prosecutions in Ireland on that basis?

I believe so, the Ighovojah case has paved the way for such and is obviously why the Gardaí are now prosecuting for such.

That's not to say there will not be appeals to such, but I'd imagine any such appeal would need to ultimately reach the Supreme Court for the position to have any chance of a change, and considering that ECJ case law is also considered the positiin is unlikely to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GM228 wrote: »
    I believe so, the Ighovojah case has paved the way for such and is obviously why the Gardare now prosecuting for such.

Turn up outside any Dublin Dominos of a friday and they'll have 20-30 convictions lined up within the hour.

ED E wrote: »
    Turn up outside any Dublin Dominos of a friday and they'll have 20-30 convictions lined up within the hour.

It would all depend on the wording of insurance policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Do they not usually say you will not be covered if using the vehicle for hire or reward?

Genuinely, I ask as most insurance certificates state "use in connection with the insured's business/profession". Certainly any private certs I have had over the years had this phrase which was odd as I never had a business or used my car in connection with my profession.

I think the insurance companies are not doing themselves any favours with that wording, as it leaves them on the hook and I reckon with a good barrister could defeat a S56 prosecution.
    Do they not usually say you will not be covered if using the vehicle for hire or reward?

As I said would be dependant on your policy and the Class of insurance (1,2 or 3 etc). Usually there will be two versions of the "use in connection with the insured's business/profession" condition and will either also say something along the lines of "including the carriage of goods" or "excluding the carriage of goods" or something similar. Each provider offers different cover for the different classes.

Take AIG for example:-
    Class 1 Car Insurance – Covers the policyholder for social, domestic and personal purposes and use in connection with their business but excludes the carriage of goods or samples.

Class 2 Car Insurance – Covers the policyholder for social, domestic and personal purposes and use in connection with their business including the carriage of goods and samples.

123.ie explain the usual way it works.
    What is class 1 use?

Class 1 use allows you or your spouse to use your car for;

Social, domestic & pleasure purposes

Commuting to and from your place of work or study

Use of the car in connection with your business

It will not cover you for;

Carrying goods for hire or reward (e.g. courier or postman)

Carrying passengers for hire or reward (e.g. hackney, taxi or chauffeur)

Soliciting commercial orders (e.g. sales person on the road)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Riva10 wrote: »
    Typical comment from a dirty minded aul man whose focal point is the Ga. If you do'nt like the picture, do'nt look at it. Never heard a comment about male Ga's ass in previous pictures. Say a decade of The Rosary and go to Specsavers .

Original post got many thanks,and the comments after it were of her ass.
    I was not one brining attention to her, the person who took pic did that.
    I just claimed that she was indeed the focal point of picture, and that person who took pic knew what they was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Original post got many thanks,and the comments after it were of her ass.
    I was not one brining attention to her, the person who took pic did that.
    I just claimed that she was indeed the focal point of picture, and that person who took pic knew what they was doing.

Will you get over yourself it was done to show garda took the car as garda on her back. They always show if in shot from behind with the exception of the garda doing the staying alive dance in the middle of a checkpoint pages back.

Most of the time they use their car in shot but as I said its an unmarked Mondeo at the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Fraudulently used? Meaning the badge is meant for a different car?

honda boi wrote: »
    Fraudulently used? Meaning the badge is meant for a different car?

Badge is assigned to the holder, not the vehicle.

The driver (or passenger) was not the passholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Ah I get ya lads thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Back to those bikes. I imagine they must have been Deliveroo because aren't pizza bikes usually the property of the pizza place? While Deliveroo are making their drivers become their own businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

flazio wrote: »
    Back to those bikes. I imagine they must have been Deliveroo because aren't pizza bikes usually the property of the pizza place? While Deliveroo are making their drivers become their own businesses.
    Hints of red around two of the rectangles, could well be the Just Eat bikers.

Just_Eat_02.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd say there are a lot of missed business today and tonight.

Guy ringing up: I'd like to order a pizza for delivery.
    Pizza place: I'm sorry the guards screwed us and there is no delivery vehicles available today.
    Guy ringing up: Ok I will just order from some place else.

So many use cars.... Remember years ago all the cub 50 or 90s flying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

That disabled parking van in Temple Bar.

Is that a Garda motorcycle cop, and an unmarked squad car! All to deal with an illegally parked van.

Great to see disabled parking abuse bring tackled, but that's overkill.

Patser wrote: »

Is that a Garda motorcycle cop, and an unmarked squad car! All to deal with an illegally parked van.

Unmarked Mondeo with very good led rears unlike most i40 which you can't see day or night.

To take pic I guess car was nearby.

Hope they start in forcing bus stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Again people here will ask how on earth did they stop that bike when you consider that the minus on the gun suggests he had already passed them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭whiskeygirl

That's right opposite family court, be plenty of guards around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Would you impound a van on your own with no back up ? Especially if the van driver is the type of person to park in a disabled spot illegally.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement