Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I think the funds are clearly drying up. We need more money. Because money = success.

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

some will say the hurlers are getting too much money now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Football result was a poor.

The three teams that put it up to Dublin all won.

Only Mannion and Costello played well in the forwards, then it was just Mannion.

Con, Kilkenny, Scully had poor games

Tyrone played well, deserved it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

That's up there with worst I've seen Dublin. Awful going forward everything was into corner this constant bull**** instead of going for it no! pass pa'ss ****ing pass your way into a hole until give ball away.

Tyrone had vast majority of there team back yet everytime they went forward Dublin didn't touch them until very end and they give away free.

Hopefully Costello didn't pick up anything serious national league is over when Gavin decides to play his strongest 11 we will see how Dublin really play!

I ****ing hate seeing Dublin lose 3 games so soon together especially when you know there's so many players missing that would make an impact!

They need to get over this **** of passing the ball around until chance is gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

On the injury thing I think the players are entitled to their privacy and under gdpr they are entitled to not have it spread in the media. It’s a pain for us but they have legal entitlements that can’t b ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

No-one can remember hurlers beating Tipp in Thurles, ever.

I can go back nearly 50 years. Beat them in Nenagh or Moneygall under Lar I think in late 80s. Great win.

This is a serious outfit. Not going to win All Ireland perhaps and today will cause more of a crisis in Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

Awful going forward everything was into corner this constant bull**** instead of going for it no! pass pa'ss ****ing pass your way into a hole until give ball away.

It didn't work tonight and i'm with ye it can be boring to watch but lets not forget Dublins interplay and patience in attack is normally what separates them. Tyrone put up that wall last year and the year before and were easily dealt with. We'll get more cohesive as the season goes on.

I thought we looked leggy tbh. A good few players just couldn't get themselves into it. Niall Scully was anonymous for example. I wonder are the injuries and the obvious niggles a consequence of some big block of recent training.

Tough gig for O'Connor in the second half us being open to the counter and all but he allowed his man far too much space when in possession. Needs to sort that out if he's to force his way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

corny wrote: »
    It didn't work tonight and i'm with ye it can be boring to watch but lets not forget Dublins interplay and patience in attack is normally what separates them. Tyrone put up that wall last year and the year before and were easily dealt with. We'll get more cohesive as the season goes on.

Why couldn't they work it into the D like they normally do then shoot. If they got stuck they normally would just run sideways along the pitch to start again.
    Did Tyrone cotton on to it or what happened?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Why couldn't they work it into the D like they normally do then shoot. If they got stuck they normally would just run sideways along the pitch to start again.

Tyrone played very well and their game plan worked.

Very stodgy from Dublin. Costello was a big loss. Never like to see us lose but in terms of Sam this might be no bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »
    Football result was a poor.

The three teams that put it up to Dublin all won.

Only Mannion and Costello played well in the forwards, then it was just Mannion.

Con, Kilkenny, Scully had poor games

Tyrone played well, deserved it

I was just saying that amongst ourselves last night - we were bullied by Monaghan & Tyrone and it completely knocked them out of kilter. Everything was rushed, conversion rate was terrible from the majority of straightforward chances. That was probably the poorest performance I've seen under Gavin, all credit to Tyrone they played really well and have a lot to offer with a more direct attacking style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Gavin decides to play his strongest 11

Ye wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it time for the likes of Con to get on board with the hurlers? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Bonniedog wrote: »
    No-one can remember hurlers beating Tipp in Thurles, ever.

I can go back nearly 50 years. Beat them in Nenagh or Moneygall under Lar I think in late 80s. Great win.

This is a serious outfit. Not going to win All Ireland perhaps and today will cause more of a crisis in Tipp.

1946 was the last time apparently.

Not going to win an All-Ireland yet, but the progress made over the last couple of years is so encouraging after the previous few years.

citykat wrote: »
    Ye wha?

Because of injurys or tactics or giving few lads a chance to earn a place we see different line ups threw out the national league.

When that all settles down during the summer we will see a much different approach from Dublin especially at the back im hoping!

Maybe I worded it wrong by saying decides but more settles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Because of injurys or tactics or giving few lads a chance to earn a place we see different line ups threw out the national league.

When that all settles down during the summer we will see a much different approach from Dublin especially at the back im hoping!

Maybe I worded it wrong by saying decides but more settles.

I think he's more inquiring about the number than anything else. I've no doubt Dublin are a better team than what we've seen so far, but only playing 11 of them will be a serious blow to our style! :pac:

CatInABox wrote: »
    I think he's more inquiring about the number than anything else. I've no doubt Dublin are a better team than what we've seen so far, but only playing 11 of them will be a serious blow to our style! :pac:

Haha **** I never noticed that!! Was watching bit of United match when I posted it ffs lol.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Tyrone played very well and their game plan worked.

Very stodgy from Dublin. Costello was a big loss. Never like to see us lose but in terms of Sam this might be no bad thing

I agree part of me was pleased if I am honest gives them a bit of kick up the @rse something for Jim to throw back at them, give them focus.
    To be honest I don't know how Jim keeps them going so consistently.
    It would only take a couple of players to go through the motions and the blue wave could come to a complete standstill.
    I have no doubt that Jim will tie in this defeat with another man-management trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Andrews got some slap, should have been red. He's apparently looking at a broken jaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

I don't think Tyrone did anything different. We just didn't give them any headaches while attacking. It takes work rate, work rate we didn't have, to keep making the option for the man in possession. Their system falls apart when we do this. We have good evidence of that. Unfortunately for us none of that happened. We had defenders (Cooper and O'Sullivan) trying to bring the ball forward and coughing it up because they had no options. I actually felt sorry for Cooper because all around me were berating him for giving it away but not realising he was trying to do Con and Scullys job because they were MIA.

I'm hoping its fatigue. I'd hate to think that lethargy was players getting comfortable. We won awful easy last year and you wouldn't be human if you weren't tempted to let your standards slip slightly.

I don't think Gavin will be accepting it. There'll be no 'its only the league' talk in camp, so right man in charge anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,854 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We look like a team in pre-season training mode. Heavy legged from hard training sessions and it's showed so far in the league. Most of the team were only returning from holidays just before the league started so I'm not one bit worried being honest.

Our first real championship game will be the Super 8's which is still a far distance away. Last night was a freezing cold and wet CP and it looked heavy going. Once we get a few more weeks of intensive training and harder ground we'll be flying.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Hurlers play Limerick in Nowlan Park next Sunday at 1.30pm.

Will be another really good test and will be a big crowd so great preparation for the championship.

Limerick have looked very impressive so far so will be a good indication of where Dublin are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hurlers play Limerick in Nowlan Park next Sunday at 1.30pm.

Will be another really good test and will be a big crowd so great preparation for the championship.

Limerick have looked very impressive so far so will be a good indication of where Dublin are.

Is this a double header? If so I'm presuming all ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Kilkenny also took a free pass in the league in 2010 in their five in a row bid. Went out early. Recovered well and stormed through to a final before losing a thriller. Wouldn’t be to worried re Dublin last night on reflection, full back line needs work though. There 6th meeting with Tyrone since 2017- so hard to keep beating a team again and again.

Is this a double header? If so I'm presuming all ticket?

They haven't said yet.

In reality the only big contingent will be from Waterford as Limerick supporters only really turn up in the Summer, and might be 1,000 of ourselves there at most. Galway will bring 4/5,000.

Still, should be well over 15,000 which will make for a better atmosphere than Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

They haven't said yet.

In reality the only big contingent will be from Waterford as Limerick supporters only really turn up in the Summer, and might be 1,000 of ourselves there at most. Galway will bring 4/5,000.

Still, should be well over 15,000 which will make for a better atmosphere than Thurles.

Outside of Cork Limerick have the biggest travelling hurling support. Expect 50%~ of crowd to be from Limerick.

Outside of Cork Limerick have the biggest travelling hurling support. Expect 50%~ of crowd to be from Limerick.

The biggest home attendance for Limerick this year was 13,000 against Cork so unless all of them go to Kilkenny the place won't be half full of Limerick supporters!

Limerick got 20,000 and 23,000 for their two home games in championship last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭raindodger

The biggest home attendance for Limerick this year was 13,000 against Cork so unless all of them go to Kilkenny the place won't be half full of Limerick supporters!

Limerick got 20,000 and 23,000 for their two home games in championship last year.

for .
    the second home match nearly 80% limerick they have gathered huge support as the year progressed.the trip to kilkenny is not a regular journey for us so will be interested in the turn out

Not making any particular point. Been at lots of league play offs and a few quarter finals in Thurles and wouldn't have regarded Limerick as having a bigger following than Waterford or Galway.

Anyway, our hurlers get respectable crowds at home when playing good opposition, but travelling support is embarrassingly small. 4/500 last Saturday.

Looking forward to two good games. Limerick look to be flying so good measure of where Dublin are at and Waterford/Galway always throws up something!

Not making any particular point. Been at lots of league play offs and a few quarter finals in Thurles and wouldn't have regarded Limerick as having a bigger following than Waterford or Galway.

Anyway, our hurlers get respectable crowds at home when playing good opposition, but travelling support is embarrassingly small. 4/500 last Saturday.

Looking forward to two good games. Limerick look to be flying so good measure of where Dublin are at and Waterford/Galway always throws up something!

The Tyrone Dublin match on the same day made even more balls of the attendance.
    Dunno why they could not have played the tipp v dublin game on monday - if they wanted to leave - sunday as the clubs special day.
    I might have gone to the tipp game if it did not clash with the tyrone one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Hopefully Costello didn't pick up anything serious national league is over when Gavin decides to play his strongest 11 we will see how Dublin really play!

I laughed

On Paddy Andrews, it looked sickening, really sorry to see that, hes a class footballer and it looks like his season is over. In fairness to Morgan he was looking to nail him with the shoulder and whether it was timing or Andrews dropping a little he caught him. Should have been a red but wasn't deliberate IMO no matter what Brolly was suggesting

Great to see Dublin being a bit of a shambles, you dont expect to see the kind of mistakes they made on Saturday, its completely alien to them. Gives the rest of us some hope that maybe they are coming back to the pack. I know its easy to say the league doesnt matter but winning is a habit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement