Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Thurles match goes ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Is the information vacuum on intercounty teams not a bit annoying? Take Dublin..no one seems to know what injury James McCarthy has or how long he’s gone for? Is Bernard Brogan on the playing panel? Where’s Philly McMahon? Where’s eoghan ogara?

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Is the information vacuum on intercounty teams not a bit annoying? Take Dublin..no one seems to know what injury James McCarthy has or how long he’s gone for? Is Bernard Brogan on the playing panel? Where’s Philly McMahon? Where’s eoghan ogara?

They are not professionals so it is none of our business really.

Just my opinion. Unless they want to share it with us.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    They are not professionals so it is none of our business really.

Just my opinion. Unless they want to share it with us.

Fair point, do find it annoying though. Jim Gavin probably has the right approach in terms of media- treating them like mushrooms; keep them in the dark and feed them ****. Although promoting “brand” Dublin by working with the media would entice more people to games by having them in the papers more.

Fair point, do find it annoying though. Jim Gavin probably has the right approach in terms of media- treating them like mushrooms; keep them in the dark and feed them ****. Although promoting “brand” Dublin by working with the media would entice more people to games by having them in the papers more.

If they were in the papers more then you would have something else to give out about!

There are well known players from many counties not togging out at the moment.

I don't think they are obliged to keep us updated on why that is so.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    If they were in the papers more then you would have something else to give out about!
    If
    There are well known players from many counties not togging out at the moment.

I don't think they are obliged to keep us updated on why that is so.

I’ve enough to moan about with Dublin thanks, the GAA’s funding polices has guaranteed of that.

But on the actual issue yeah maybe you’re right on amateur players don’t need to be shared as much as pro. Dublin keep a closed shop. Other teams do but none tighter than Dublin. Be nice if they at least named a season playing panel like I think every other county does.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Be nice if they at least named a season playing panel like I think every other county does.

Why? This is like inventing something to give out about.

frankled wrote: »
    Why? This is like inventing something to give out about.

As a Dublin fan, you’d have no interest in who is training with Dublin and who isn’t, how big the squad is, what players are injured and for long? Find that odd myself.

As a Dublin fan, you’d have no interest in who is training with Dublin and who isn’t, how big the squad is, what players are injured and for long? Find that odd myself.

Of course I would, but I wouldn't be giving out about it. It's a non-issue- Dubs fans have a decent idea who is involved and who isn't from what we've seen so far this year- only questions outstanding would be around the likes of Connolly or Brogan- and to be honest I'm sure the latter will appear on the bench soon. They're amateurs- it's nothing to get worked up over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah. That's what we really need. Yet more shyte written in the papers about Dublin players.

• Advertisement

frankled wrote: »
    Of course I would, but I wouldn't be giving out about it. It's a non-issue- Dubs fans have a decent idea who is involved and who isn't from what we've seen so far this year- only questions outstandinug would be around the likes of Connolly or Brogan- and to be honest I'm sure the latter will appear on the bench soon. They're amateurs- it's nothing to get worked up over.

I’d say Brogan’s done and you won’t see him at all out for Dublin again. One of us is right but Jim won’t be telling.

I’d say Brogan’s done and you won’t see him at all out for Dublin again. One of us is right but Jim won’t be telling.

Possibly, but who knows at this stage of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,457 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yeah. That's what we really need. Yet more shyte written in the papers about Dublin players.

Jim is no eejit was in that 92 team that was full of mouthing about how great they were.
    We know how that ended.
    I think his low key approach is spot on.

Pillar had the dubs in the documentary - back in 06. A lot of it came across as cliched/pathetic/laughable. The nickanames in brackets beside the players etc.

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/the-dubs-the-story-of-a-season/76848680330

When Tommy Lyons was manager he whipped the media in a frenzy and it bit him in the @rse when things did not go well.

I hope Jim continues saying nothing until he brings out a book a few years or so after he has finished the job.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I take it some of you here have never heard of this new fangled invention called social media?

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/philly-rarin-to-go-following-injury-lay-off

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1088877761257705473?s=19

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I take it some of you here have never heard of this new fangled invention called social media?

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/philly-rarin-to-go-following-injury-lay-off

https://twitter.com/DubGAAOfficial/status/1088877761257705473?s=19

The master at saying nothing - while he keeps the 'process' ticking over.
    I am sure he will make sure to say he expects a 'tough game' from a 'good side' before each opponent in the Leinster championship as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The master at saying nothing - while he keeps the 'process' ticking over.
    I am sure he will make sure to say he expects a 'tough game' from a 'good side' before each opponent in the Leinster championship as well.

What's he meant to say? There'd be some crying and wailing (even more than now if you can believe that) if he went out and said all the opposition were shíte and they should walk it.

What's he meant to say? There'd be some crying and wailing (even more than now if you can believe that) if he went out and said all the opposition were shíte and they should walk it.

That's my point plus he has the players trained to say as little as possbile and keep talking the chances down.
    It is a good strategy because when the Dubs talked themselves up in the past were allowed to go to all sorts of events/talk loosely they got distracted by the hype, and were there to be shot down.

Let's honest Jim's media strategy is good, but his interviews are a parody of himself at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

What's the stout like in the corporate boxes?

Also, do they serve the caviar on the side with the prawn sambos?

Jesus H Christ.

We're going for our 7th All Ireland this decade.

Think about that for a second.

Who gives a flying fcuk whether or not Jim Gavin gives daily, weekly or monthly updates as to who is or is not on the panel, or what he says in interviews?

How the man goes about his business has given us unparalleled levels of success. If every single Dublin manager in the future, duplicates every single thing Jim Gavin does, from the cereal he has for his breakfast, to the color of socks he wears, we should get down on our hands & knees & give thanks and stop our bloody bitching !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

We normally have trouble against Tipp. Leading 1-10 to 9 at HT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

corny wrote: »
    We normally have trouble against Tipp. Leading 1-10 to 9 at HT.

There's a fair lump of a wind that Tipp will have in the second half apparently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Massive win for the hurlers, delighted for them. The work put in over the last couple of years has really started to pay off, we've started to win close, tough games.

Bloody well done to the hurlers. That's some result !

Berno named in the subs in the big ball.

Who was the Oracle of Truth that said he was dunzo? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Gwan the stick fighters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Just in from Tyrone game dublin really poor well deserved beating.very poor handling and way too slow moving the ball played right into Tyrone hands.full back line in trouble all night with good diagonal and high ball in.Thought we might have put our extra man back there.REf was poor but not the reason we lost.our performances this year we definitely give encouragement to other teams so Jim has plenty to mull over with only 1 game to championship left.

Tyrone deserved that win. Controlled it even with a man down. I would go as far to say it was the best win I have seen against this Dublin football team in overall consistency of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭C__MC

Question folks. I know this Dublin team is unbelievable but is there a worry there that no new classy forwards coming through? Or is this team good enough to go for another few years.

Anyone at semple to give a first hand synopsis of the game?
    Was it as good a performance as the scoreline suggested?

C__MC wrote: »
    Question folks. I know this Dublin team is unbelievable but is there a worry there that no new classy forwards coming through? Or is this team good enough to go for another few years.

Well they have howard who can play in the forwards if needs be.
    Con is only a young fella 22.
    Scully is a class player only 24.
    Kilkenny has plenty of years in him 25yo.
    But I think Kevin Mc is not the same player he was, flynn the same.
    Costello is a great player but injury prone only 24.

Connolly may be called back from exile yet - but he is getting on.
    Think Brogan will be in sub role soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I think options in the forwards are still ok but in defence they are a bit short wonder if Rory o Carroll could yet figure or maybe been out of it too long.I do think that some of our old warriors are on the wane a little but they owe us nothing and have given us many great days and could still do so but have my doubts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement