Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

rm75 wrote: »
    Meh, not sure it's much different in the other provinces , wouldnt put any of the other teams in Munster outside Kerry above Kildare or Meath for example.

It is all relative. History has a lot to answer as well. Would Kildare have beat Mayo in CP last year. Problem with football is that too many teams have given up the ghost or gone ultra defensive. Tipperary could be a flaking team except for a refereering decision that went against them 3 years ago. Look at the ManU V PSG penalty tonight. Both Kildare and Meath would struggle in Div 1 next year. And that is considering that there is still a possibility that Roscommon might survive.

Due to Fitzmaurice Kerry are 18-24 months behind where they should be. Cork are in the doldrums a county with a population second only to Dublin that are neither at the races in hurling or football. When you look at traditional football county's too many have given up the ghost, Leinster is a walk through for Dublin, Kerry has Munster under control. Galway are too defensive, Mayo too old and Roscommon too immature. That leaves the northern teams and as we have seen from this years league they are way below par.

Dublin will do the 5 in row at a trot and must be favorites to do 6

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Stoner wrote: »

Who knows where Donegal are now you'd think they could beat most on their day but wouldn't be surprised to see Meath or Kildare beat them either

C

5 in a row 2023 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is all relative. History has a lot to answer as well. Would Kildare have beat Mayo in CP last year. Problem with football is that too many teams have given up the ghost or gone ultra defensive. Tipperary could be a flaking team except for a refereering decision that went against them 3 years ago. Look at the ManU V PSG penalty tonight. Both Kildare and Meath would struggle in Div 1 next year. And that is considering that there is still a possibility that Roscommon might survive.

Due to Fitzmaurice Kerry are 18-24 months behind where they should be. Cork are in the doldrums a county with a population second only to Dublin that are neither at the races in hurling or football. When you look at traditional football county's too many have given up the ghost, Leinster is a walk through for Dublin, Kerry has Munster under control. Galway are too defensive, Mayo too old and Roscommon too immature. That leaves the northern teams and as we have seen from this years league they are way below par.

Dublin will do the 5 in row at a trot and must be favorites to do 6

I would agree with most of this. But after seeing Kerry play they look like they are not far off at all. A bit of momentum could take them a long way.
    If Dublin do progress as expected and put themselves in with a chance of five in a row, preferably it would be nice if another team knocked Kerry out of the AI proper. If they scupper Dublin's five a row bid it would completely sicken me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

When someone beats Dublin I hope it is anyone other than Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

For Kerry to stop Dublin's drive for 5 would leave me destitute. I can't even fully explain why. If it was Mayo, at least there would be a semblance of fairytale understanding at what it would mean to Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If it's Kerry, I'm leaving the country. Couldn't be dealing with that at all, at all, at all..... :(

I would agree with most of this. But after seeing Kerry play they look like they are not far off at all. A bit of momentum could take them a long way.
    If Dublin do progress as expected and put themselves in with a chance of five in a row, preferably it would be nice if another team knocked Kerry out of the AI proper. If they scupper Dublin's five a row bid it would completely sicken me.
    Bonniedog wrote: »
    When someone beats Dublin I hope it is anyone other than Kerry.
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    For Kerry to stop Dublin's drive for 5 would leave me destitute. I can't even fully explain why. If it was Mayo, at least there would be a semblance of fairytale understanding at what it would mean to Mayo.

It is hard to see any team stop Dublin's 5 in a row. Mayo will be lucky to make the Super 8's IMO. I cannot see them wining the Connacht Championship, They have to beat Roscommon to make the final. It will depend more than likely who they meet through the back door. In Ulster Monoghan have the easier draw to the final and Donegal and Tyrone are on the far side. Kiladre are scheduled to meet Dublin in the Leinster semi with Meath and Westmeath on the far side.

Looking at that Dublin, Galway and Kerry are the most likely provincial champion's with two of Monoghan, Tyrone and Donegal making the super 8's and the third having to go the long road. If Mayo survive Roscommon they have a good chance of making it unless they draw one of the big 3 northern teams or Kildare that have to go the long road. Meath look likely Leinster finalists. An easy draw might see them in the Super 8's as well.

If forms plays a part I expect that the 8 teams will be Dublin, Galways, Kerry Monoghan, Tyrone, Meath, and two of Roscommon, Mayo, Donegal and Kildare and Tipperary as an outside chance if they beat Cork in Munster.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is hard to see any team stop Dublin's 5 in a row. Mayo will be lucky to make the Super 8's IMO. I cannot see them wining the Connacht Championship, They have to beat Roscommon to make the final. It will depend more than likely who they meet through the back door. In Ulster Monoghan have the easier draw to the final and Donegal and Tyrone are on the far side. Kiladre are scheduled to meet Dublin in the Leinster semi with Meath and Westmeath on the far side.

Looking at that Dublin, Galway and Kerry are the most likely provincial champion's with two of Monoghan, Tyrone and Donegal making the super 8's and the third having to go the long road. If Mayo survive Roscommon they have a good chance of making it unless they draw one of the big 3 northern teams or Kildare that have to go the long road. Meath look likely Leinster finalists. An easy draw might see them in the Super 8's as well.

If forms plays a part I expect that the 8 teams will be Dublin, Galways, Kerry Monoghan, Tyrone, Meath, and two of Roscommon, Mayo, Donegal and Kildare and Tipperary as an outside chance if they beat Cork in Munster.

As I understand it, Kerry will be drawn in the opposite Super 8 group to Dublin (assuming both win their provincial championship), meaning the earliest they could meet is the semi-final.

8s looking pretty predictable in terms of make up. Only real unknown quantity is who will win Connacht. Very hard to see any dark horse emerging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'd rather see Kerry, even Tyrone. Anyone but Mayo really.

• Advertisement

Aw c'mon. Who would begrudge Mayo one?

The players themselves are not responsible for all the shyte that the media & a certain element of their fan base peddle. Any more than our lads are.

ProudDUB wrote: »

The players themselves are not responsible for all the shyte that the media & a certain element of their fan base peddle. And more than our lads are.

Mayo are incapable of wining an All Ireland title. they always find another way to lose.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

The players themselves are not responsible for all the shyte that the media & a certain element of their fan base peddle. Any more than our lads are.

I begrudge the players one as they have done nothing to deserve it imho. I do not begrudge the fans. They are great supporters and football people.

Jesus. Tough crowd.

Mayo are incapable of wining an All Ireland title. they always find another way to lose.

People used to attribute same psychological causes for Dublin.

Mayo have been unfortunate to have been in same era as Dublin and the second best team over course of Dublin's post 2011 run.

Biggest drawback has always been the absence of one Gooch/Bernie/Stephen O' Neill type forward who can turn a game. Can't remember them ever having had one in my lifetime although McDonald came close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Mayo have been unfortunate to have been in same era as Dublin and the second best team over course of Dublin's post 2011 run.

Biggest drawback has always been the absence of one Gooch/Bernie/Stephen O' Neill type forward who can turn a game. Can't remember them ever having had one in my lifetime although McDonald came close.

2nd best me arse. Galway bait the ****e out of them every time they play them.
    They scrapped to a few finals and bottled it.

Kerry won one, Donegal won one and beat Dublin post 2011 and somehow Mayo are 2nd best in that time.

Mayo never lost in an All Ireland Final against Dublin by more than 2 point. That shows more an inability to win than being unfortunate. In 2013 Mayo got a free with about two minutes to go. Instead of popping it straight over the bar COC spend 60-80 seconds taking the free. On the kickout Ref blew it up. In 2016 they lost by a point. Late in the game AOS was put in full forward. First he came out to take a sideline. After that when Dublin were gone up into the May half, he started to walk to the exclusion circle, he trotted to midfield and then sprinted back to take a handpass. When you are 1-2 point down in a match you need to keep your shape and your FF line needs to stay forward. In 2017 Mayo again were in the game and had Dublin under pressure when a Dublin player committed a second yellow card offence a Mayo player ran in and hit him to end up with a red card. That is not being unfortunate it is not knowing how to win as players. You can coach players all you like unless they do the right thing at critical times in the match you will not win All Ireland's Losing 3 All Ireland like Mayo did was not unfortunate it was not just careless it was criminal. Put Meath, Tyrone or maybe even Galway jerseys on those set of players and they would have 2-3 All Irelands in the last ten years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭muddle84

The players themselves are not responsible for all the shyte that the media & a certain element of their fan base peddle. And more than our lads are.

Yeah sure it was Stephen Rochford that told Gavin to put Diarmuid Connolly on for the second half in 2017!

Vaughan had nothing to do with it ! ;P

The media wankfest and how much their players get away with just bugs me too much. They're untouchable so I hope they've another 50 years ahead of them at least.

God be with the days when Dublin hurlers winning a league division would be a thing of wonder and celebration!

Good start to the Kenny Era, but will be brought sharply back to earth next week.

Will be last serious game before May so they should leave some impression on the hosts, even only to partly get over last year's utter humiliation at same stage.

• Advertisement

The media wankfest and how much their players get away with just bugs me too much. They're untouchable so I hope they've another 50 years ahead of them at least.

Then you can take some comfort that Dublin players get away with just as much if you look at the game with a neutral gaze.

Then you can take some comfort that Dublin players get away with just as much if you look at the game with a neutral gaze.

They don't no matter what way you look at it. And not just Dublin, no county comes close to getting away with what Mayo footballers do. They are canonised all over the media when they're a shower of words I can't say here. I don't know how they've managed to have so many journalists eating out of the palm of their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

They don't no matter what way you look at it. And not just Dublin, no county comes close to getting away with what Mayo footballers do. They are canonised all over the media when they're a shower of words I can't say here. I don't know how they've managed to have so many journalists eating out of the palm of their hand.

I'll always remember during the 2017 championship how the PRO for Dublin GAA, Mossy Quinn was an analyst on the Sunday Game one evening. If that's not having the media eating from the palm of your hand I don't know what is...

Mayo get just as much negative press despite what you seem to think. Joe Brolly has weekly articles criticising Mayo players and management. He's also the biggest Dublin fan boy around.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I'll always remember during the 2017 championship how the PRO for Dublin GAA, Mossy Quinn was an analyst on the Sunday Game one evening. If that's not having the media eating from the palm of your hand I don't know what is...

Mayo get just as much negative press despite what you seem to think. Joe Brolly has weekly articles criticising Mayo players and management. He's also the biggest Dublin fan boy around.

Since when did Commercial and Marketing Manager equate to Public Relations Officer?

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Brolly used to laugh at the Dubs literally.
    He used to say Donegal/Tyrone would have done xyz.
    It is only when Dublin kept winning he changed his tune.

This is the same Brolly who said that the Gooch was past it/overrated.
    Then afterwards he was saying he was only having a bit of craic/and can't believe that people keep falling for it.

If you are equating Brolly to be in someone's corner you have Brolly wrong.
    He is only in the 'Joe Brolly corner' to play the media game and attract attention.
    He changes with the wind.

I would be raging that the players did not get more stick (If I was a Mayo Supporter), Aiden O'Shea was non-existent against Dublin for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Hmm Connolly’s ban for touching the linesman & Andy Moran’s ban for touching the ref last year? One happened & one didn’t.......

Not gonna get into tit for that, I'm not that type of supporter.

But I can genuinely understand and empathise with how frustrating it might be for some Dublin fans to see Mayo filling up so many column inches when this Dublin team, the greatest of all time, wows the country with beautiful football and tactics and marches on to 5 in a row.

For me the reason journalists like to write about mayo is simple; it's the story stupid.
    Like it or not, mayo have a story. 60+ years since they've won, losing final after final in dramatic fashion, going about their wins the hard way, that's all really easy to write about.

And probably most of all it's the underdog story. The weshtest of West counties, hardest hit by famine and emigration and all that craic and all of the recent football history, up against the slick Goliath of Dublin.
    Think of any sports movie you've ever seen, they're underdog stories and mayo are an underdog. Again, easy to write about.

You compare that against Dublin, the quiet machinations of "the process", Jim Gavin not tellin noone nothing. And more power to them, it works, and people will probably talk about this Dublin team long after they talk about the mayo one. But at this moment in time there's simply little to write about :-)

I can't wait till someone writes a warts and all book about this team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

This Mayo narrative really bugs me (I am a Dub with no massive grá for Mayo).

How people were calling them bottlers after what they did in 2017 is beyond me. They won nailbiters against Cork and laid the wood on Roscommon and Kerry in replays after drawing the first matches.

So they come out on the right side of close encounters 3 out of 4 times and it would have been easy to lie down after O'Callaghan's goal in the final.

Yeah they were pipped in the end, but my personal view is that Dublin are slightly better than Mayo, so we shouldn't be surprised when they win narrowly.

I know it is not a popular view, but hey ho.

• Advertisement

Would agree with that. Some Dubs might do well to recall all the pop psychologists who dismissed our footballers as "losers" and "bottlers" when they were beaten by better teams.

Does defeat have an impact? Of course it does. The real losers are those who give up after a knock back, or don't bother trying to attain their goals and prefer whinging.

Mayo are not in that category.

One of things Anthony Daly brought to Dublin hurling was the Clare experience of eventually becoming the best, rather than wallowing in self-pity and excuses. That will not always pay dividends, but at least you can say you tried. And kept trying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement