Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread - Capital Punishment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Morgan knew what he was doing, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Slattsy wrote: »

I think we can surmise, but never can we be sure what he was thinking.

If we gave Morgan a time machine, and he saw the outcome, I'd be pretty sure he wouldn't have done what he did.

That said, he's a mile off his line, and second to the ball, he knew both those things well in advance of the hit. He needed to ensure that Paddy did not get the chance to offload or to round him.

I would agree he meant to dish it out, but I don't (read: won't) believe he meant what happened. He does, however, have to accept that it was always a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Morgan probably trying to make up for the ten minute period in first half last September when he lost his balls, in every sense of the word.

I see that clown Flynn reckons that there were 7/8,000 Tyrone supporters in CP on Saturday. Good going given that there have been little over 6,000 at their home games!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

As I say with a lot of these incidents.... if that was Cluxton....

Can you imagine the genuine outrage. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Slattsy wrote: »

Tyrone were tackling late all game. That is what you expect from a Mickey Harte team. It inevitably leads to serious injury eventually or Battle of Omagh type situations. Andrews is just the latest victim of that kind or approach. Referees need to be on top of it from the start to prevent it, this one wasn't. All par for the course, and no point in griping about systematic late tackling as the GAA don't take it seriously and one broken jaw won't make them change.

That being said, Dublin didn't deal with it in the way that they should have and the result is down to poor performance from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Andrews out for 6 weeks.

blanch152 wrote: »

That being said, Dublin didn't deal with it in the way that they should have and the result is down to poor performance from Dublin.

Indeed. Would have been a good game in which to lay down a few markers with little to lose given the break to championship.

I suspect O'Gara was send on to do some sorting out but was too late and he hardly featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not making any particular point. Been at lots of league play offs and a few quarter finals in Thurles and wouldn't have regarded Limerick as having a bigger following than Waterford or Galway.

Anyway, our hurlers get respectable crowds at home when playing good opposition, but travelling support is embarrassingly small. 4/500 last Saturday.

Looking forward to two good games. Limerick look to be flying so good measure of where Dublin are at and Waterford/Galway always throws up something!

It's no big deal Bonnie but limerick do have a good following I see what your saying re the summer but v cork it was 13k paying plus I'd guess 4k u 16s thats 17k of which 80-90% were limerick plus this is a semi so I'd expect a good limerick crowd on Sunday. I think in general we'd have a far bigger support than Waterford and galway especially when we're going well, in fairness to galway they've to divide it between hurling and football as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭C__MC

Dublin will be hoping to get the win Sunday v Cavan

Was it really that bad of a league campaign? They scraped 3 draws in 2017

2019- 4 wins possibly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

C__MC wrote:

It was pretty bad IMO. Mayo and Galway rolled over. Tyrone and Monaghan had significant wins.

Only the Kerry game was close

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

C__MC wrote: »

2019- 4 wins possibly

It's our worst league in years, with as many losses as the last three years put together.

It's also the first final that we haven't been in for ages. I mean, what do you do on league final day when your team isn't playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's our worst league in years, with as many losses as the last three years put together.

It's also the first final that we haven't been in for ages. I mean, what do you do on league final day when your team isn't playing?

Any right thinking Dub is currently burning effigies of Peig, Fungi, Micko, a vat of Kerrygold butter, Pat Spillane, Daithi O'Se and which ever Healy Rae you find the most..ahem.. amusing...to ward off the evil spirits that guard against Kerry collecting more silverware in Croke Park.

If you're not currently doing all of the above, preferably at the end of the Bull Wall, while eating a coddle sambo, then there is something seriously wrong with you !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,457 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

C__MC wrote: »

2019- 4 wins possibly

I think 2017 was a jammy year alright lots of really late draws. It was exciting stuff though got in the final from what felt like nowhere.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Good showing against Limerick today, bar a 15 minute spell in the second half where we just kept hitting aimless balls into the forward line.

Danny and Trollier had great games and our entire backline fought like dogs and won a lot of ball.

Great signs so far, just needed calmer heads at times when playing out of the backs.

Limerick are are a bit further developed as a team and have some unreal players. They should have been a man down down for a good chunk of the game though. Morrissey should have gotten the line for a frontal shoulder charge to the head straight in front of the ref but only got a yellow.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We're as good as anyone from 2-4 but we become progressively less solid as we go up the numbers. Not sure we've found a working formula up front.

Think we're still a bit lightweight in the middle of the field. Our forwards did well today when the ball came into them with purpose.

Would like to see Trollier a bit further out from goal. He had a great spell in the first half in around the half forwards.

What I really liked today was our ruck work. You can see a massive improvement already and that will stand to us in the championship.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Three points away from the All Ireland champions in a league semi-final? We're way ahead of where I thought we'd be. Very impressed with the progress over the last couple of years.

JRant wrote: »
    Think we're still a bit lightweight in the middle of the field. Our forwards did well today when the ball came into them with purpose.

Would like to see Trollier a bit further out from goal. He had a great spell in the first half in around the half forwards.

What I really liked today was our ruck work. You can see a massive improvement already and that will stand to us in the championship.

Was just about to say that Limerick won midfield handy enough and seem to do what they liked there.
    But as you say it could hardly be called a disaster and you can see there is some plan/direction to the whole thing.

Lost it in third quarter. Brilliant goal which was always coming as hard won ball in the backs was just raining back on top of them. Final score probably not an accurate reflection of gap between the teams, but did well to keep fighting.

Injuries played havoc especially Hetherton who was putting himself about and winning dirty ball. But good signs for the future. Will give the Cats a lash on May 11.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Lost it in third quarter. Brilliant goal which was always coming as hard won ball in the backs was just raining back on top of them. Final score probably not an accurate reflection of gap between the teams, but did well to keep fighting.

Injuries played havoc especially Hetherton who was putting himself about and winning dirty ball. But good signs for the future. Will give the Cats a lash on May 11.

Yeah, there was a spell where we put 3 balls in a row straight into their keepers hand. That's not good enough at this level really. We also had to do a bit of a reshuffle due to injuries up front which seemed to disrupt us for a bit.

I don't know about the final score. I thought we were well in it for large parts of the game. At one stage it was out to 9 points, that really wasn't a fair representation of the gap between the teams either. We actually looked much better with more numbers up the field at the end.

• Advertisement

It is funny to me how some dubs supporters are worried with the Dublin footballers performances in the league.
    They should spare a thought for Cork - Cork footballers relegated to division 3? How mad is that? AI winners less than a decade ago - jayus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Nice to see the hurlers coming on so much to be that close in the end to Limerick!

Very frustrating to miss out on the football final though. They 3 games we lost on another day wouldn't of happened but the Tyrone one is easily the most irratating.

Thank god it wasn't an All Ireland game that's all I know!

Play anywhere near as bad as that this summer and can kiss 5 in a row goodnight!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It is funny to me how some dubs supporters are worried with the Dublin footballers performances in the league.
    They should spare a thought for Cork - Cork footballers relegated to division 3? How mad is that? AI winners less than a decade ago - jayus.

Same could have been said of Meath when we finally were rid of them to Division 3 a few years back. This could be the best thing to happen to Cork football in a long time.

As could us having next weekend off. Considering a trip myself gven I have my ST. :)

Oh the Green and Red of Dublin...

Also, am I right in thinking we will have Mordor and Donegal at home next year in the league?

2019 2020
    Monaghan A Monaghan H
    Galway H Galway A
    Kerry A Kerry H
    Mayo H Mayo A
    Roscommon A Meath H
    Tyrone H Tyrone A
    Cavan A Donegal H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭corny

JRant wrote: »

Limerick are a big side and they flooded the middle third for the most of the game. We definitely struggled.

For me we lacked work rate around midfield. Hetherton and Cian Boland have made good strides through the league but they'll need to learn whats required in games like that. If the sliotar was near Sutcliffe he was sprinting after it to put pressure on the man. Thats whats required. Hetherton routinely jogged after his man by comparison.

Rushe, Keaney, Barrett (when fully fit), Schutte, Darragh O' Connell (works like a dog).... we shouldn't be lacking in a physical game if everyone is fit and ready in the summer.

Great day for a bit of gardening, DIY, cleaning the car.
    Nothing much on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Should be a dubs double header :’(

It's only the league...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

It's only the league...

Awh i know. Feels wierd not being there on a final.

Bigger fish to fry for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Great day for a bit of gardening, DIY, cleaning the car.
    Nothing much on the telly.

Yeah. Got a lot done this weekend too. Went so far as thinking about clearing out the box room. Didn't actually do it mind...but even thinking about it counts, right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement