Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No Jonny, "Light Points/Level" only existed in the base game AFTER you hit level 20 which could be done by sheer gameplay (similar to BL2)

So to be clear, in September 2014, you could be Lvl20 AND Light Level 26... the removed the "Normal" leveling system (1-20) when tTK came out

Well I didnt get it until TTK came out so unsure of what came before and my memory of the beta is sketchy at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Destiny's campaign was woeful and established a new low in campaign mode gaming from an AAA dev studio that had a rep of making fantastic campaigns.

Absolutely, 100%, could not agree more. The game that was expected and the game that got delivered were polar opposites. Still, people played it to death and are queuing up to play D2, why? The game just plays so goddamn well, both PvE and PvP, I haven't pre-ordered D2 and the fact that I can now play the beta without doing so is music to my ears. Will I buy D2, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Destiny's campaign was woeful and established a new low in campaign mode gaming from an AAA dev studio that had a rep of making fantastic campaigns.
    Playing through it myself at the moment, first time around and with the Destiny: The Collection disc, and whatever about the amount of content the original release shipped with, the lack of cohesion in the campign was what struck me from the start. After finishing the story side of The Taken King, I looked around and found this article, The Messy, True Story Behind The Making Of Destiny, sheds some light on why it's the way it is, definitely worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I recently went back to Destiny to play the expansions, having not played it since about 2 months after its release (because the campaign and initial grind were beyond terrible). Really enjoyed getting back into it and enjoyed my time playing it again. The gameplay itself is just so damn good and the changes they made both with the expansions and just general stuff really improved things.

Definitely looking forward to D2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No arguments from me on this, the fact they made the grimoire an out of game thing was madness. Its like the back story to alot of the stuff in the game yet you had to leave the game to view it. I am hoping that destiny 2 will have a proper story this time around and that all the nonsense that went before it is left in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Good interview with Shuhei at E3 where he talks a small bit about the new Sucker Punch game.
    He's played it a few times over the last few years so hopefully it's close to being announced.
    He also mentions that games coming out in 2017 were detailed in the pre-show before the main media showcase.

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/kinda-funny-talks-playstations-e3-lineup-with-shuh/2300-6439467/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I just wish Destiny's combat mechanics were married to a more substantial campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Retr0gamer wrote:
    So do I and your original post was a dig at me. I'm not petty enough to go nuclear about it but I think it's more than fair to call you out on it especially as it escalated something that really didn't need to be escalated.

Pot meet kettle
    Spoiler alert

It's black

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I just wish Destiny's combat mechanics were married to a more substantial campaign.

Which hopefully they will be in Destiny 2, we know from the original reveal there will be more of a story to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I don't think you'll find too many of us that disagree with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Titanfall 2s campaign was like half the length, but I enjoyed more than anything in recent memory.

I'm starting the think studios making linear games should move away from the whole 16-20 hour expected length and back towards like 8-12 hours. Obviously this doesn't apply to games trying to be quasi MMORPG types. But I've noticed as I get older I want shorter, tighter experiences in my campaigns and less of the whole "heres a new mechanic, yeah use it, cool? yeah ok, dont worry about doing that again".

Go Titanfall 2 was f**king fantastic tbf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Titanfall 2s campaign was like half the length, but I enjoyed more than anything in recent memory.

I'm starting the think studios making linear games should move away from the whole 16-20 hour expected length and back towards like 8-12 hours. Obviously this doesn't apply to games trying to be quasi MMORPG types. But I've noticed as I get older I want shorter, tighter experiences in my campaigns and less of the whole "heres a new mechanic, yeah use it, cool? yeah ok, dont worry about doing that again".

Go Titanfall 2 was f**king fantastic tbf

It's a vicious cycle. During the PS1 and 2 era you had people complaining that Japanese games were awful as they were 8 hours long. Luigis Mansion got chewed out by reviewers for being only 6 hours long. In hindsight that's the perfect length for those games. They can explore their mechanics fully while not out staying their welcome.

Unfortunately the push today is to have long games to stop second hand sales and the move towards games as services.

I feel like around PS2/Gamecube period ~30 hours was considered "good" I have a feeling my Resident Evil 4 playthrough was 30+ hours

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I always felt that Resident Evil IV was too long. Cutting it down to 20 hours would have made it a much better game for me.

Resi 4 is around the 14 to 16 hour mark, HLTB has it pegged around that. It feels longer as it's about twice the length of similar action games. I think Resi 4 is an exception to the rule as it got so much inventiveness that it can hold your attention for that length unlike it's follow ups. It's the Mario galaxy of third person shooters!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

sarcasm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 45,231 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Just leave this here.... https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/875391245610135552

Some follow ups too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

jcd5971 wrote: »
    Can see why Titanfall would speak to plebians like yourself in society but for me it lacked a certain charm, the story was too linear for me and predictable of a modern sequel really.

As for the "hero" of the piece I found him unbelievable and quite unoriginal, where was his massive hair giant sword and angst ridden high pitched Japanese voice... Madness.

The gunplay and mechanics where serviceable at best and I found the total lack of waifu material disappointing in the extreme.

Also the mcguffin of the piece as a weapon was far fetched after all everyone is aware that world ending devices are always contained in a pendant which has been stolen from the corpse of our protagonists sister/mom/unrequited love.

Graphically while speaking to a certain demographic unfamiliar with proper manga/ainme stylings, was serviceable.

I also found the score weak. It sorely missed a power ballad to highlight the urgency and angst of our protagonist.

Also a talking robot was very in realistic,
    Why not use a chocobo/mog/magical three eyed ancient ****e badger made of an ultra rare metal type.

In summation this is a terrible effort.
    Nothing like Zelda best game ever made. Your welcome*

* This post is to be read in the most demeaning condensending tone manageable whilst dripping with contempt for all humanity and in a deep sense of self loathing.

qcmlnjur6fx1pqkswfan.jpg

Just leave this here.... https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/875391245610135552

Some follow ups too

But he's one of the game most senior developers, it's not about what he Says, it's about what we Think! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Some follow ups too

His opinion dosnt matter.

Only whataboutery can be counted as fact around here apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Some follow ups too
    Don't care. They still did a secret deal with Sony to bork the best console ever made ever, ever. 😉

https://twitter.com/bungie/status/875396659529752577

Probably the best online experience i have ever had in gaming is playing Destiny with the Boards clan. Cant wait for the D2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Probably the best online experience i have ever had in gaming is playing Destiny with the Boards clan.

I think that seals the deal that the quality of the game doesn't count when you're playing with friends, then.

As for game length, I don't want them to get any shorter. But there's a difference between a game being long because of it's story campaign, cutscenes vs its actual meaningful gameplay learning curve, skill ceiling and replayability. Tekken 7's story is a few hours long and complete garbage, but I'll invest 100s of hours into it like all the previous games, probably. And I do judge games by how much meaningful, fun time I can get out of them. If I though I'd get 20 hours total out of Tekken 7 I wouldn't buy it.

Don't care. They still did a secret deal with Sony to bork the best console ever made ever, ever. 😉

Don't be daft, Zelda made sure the switch has that title wrapped up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Am I the only one not seeing what's so blowaway about Zelda?

Yes. Evidently you've not being paying attention. If I say it's the best thing ever then you obviously think it's the best game ever.

Unless you're Jim Sterling. He never listens to me.

Nope i got tired of it after an hour or 2 and traded it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Nope i got tired of it after an hour or 2 and traded it in.

You never even scratched the surface.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You never even scratched the surface.

It didnt entice me to stay any longer

• Advertisement

With every open world game being a sea of icons telling you were to go and what to do, zelda is refreshing in that it trusts the player enough to explore it's environment and figure it out themselves. It's also nice that it constantly rewards that curiosity.

Is it for everyone? I suppose some people like the 'taste' of avocado.

Advertisement