Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    MachineGames are a fantastic development team

I reckon I'm going tuck into New Order again. Played it originally on the PS3 but I picked it up for €4 for the PS4. It definitely deserves a second playthrough.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Just saw the Wolfenstein 2 trailer. Looks amazing.

Only game from E3 I'll preorder, played the hell out of the last one on PC and currently playing through it again on PS4. Just a perfect game once you play on hardest setting

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The Darkness

Played that a year or two ago. It hasn't aged particularly great but it's still an interesting game. I love the fact that Mike Patton is the voice of the Darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah, the new GPU in the iterative consoles will help some some titles to 4k or checkerboard 4k. But that crappy Jaguar CPU is gonna be a bottleneck pushing bigger games to 60fps.

Pretty much this,both CPU's are not enough to push 60fps consistently across the board. A lot of devs may prefer to go for a locked 30fps rather than a variable framerate as well as the game should be smoother with better frame pacing at a locked 30fps.

These new console are really all about the shiny stuff not framerates.

There will be 60fps games alright but they will have to be built to run at 60. If thats not a target from the start i doubt either console will have enough ooomph to brute force the games to 60fps. And as we know already theres a lot of devs that will prioritise graphics/visuals over framerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is it called that because the poor sales of Rise means its a shadow of its former self?

ouch burn

but have official sales figures been released from ps4 version ? including digital ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

EoinHef wrote: »
    There will be 60fps games alright but they will have to be built to run at 60. If thats not a target from the start i doubt either console will have enough ooomph to brute force the games to 60fps. And as we know already theres a lot of devs that will prioritise graphices visuals over framerate.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox X are great news for PC gamers if devs go the better graphics route due to having the grunt to run at 60fps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Venom wrote: »
    The PS4 Pro and Xbox X are great news for PC gamers if devs go the better graphics route due to having the grunt to run at 60fps.

Do games typically go console to PC or vice versa? I notice a few titles this E3 will be coming to console first and PC later which would suggest they make it for console first, or is development done in parallel with PC just taking a bit longer?

Venom wrote: »

Im particularly hoping to get better texture quality on multiplats that make there way to PC. Some of the texture work on console to PC ports has been poor. Especially playing at higher resolutions on PC,much more noticable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played that a year or two ago. It hasn't aged particularly great but it's still an interesting game. I love the fact that Mike Patton is the voice of the Darkness.

I played it at the time. Has the honor of being the first of two games I ever traded in. Found it a bit crap. It was interesting but ultimately kind of bland and the emo thing it had going on was really childish. Thankfully the team is back to their chronicles of riddick standards.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

qrx wrote: »
    Do games typically go console to PC or vice versa? I notice a few titles this E3 will be coming to console first and PC later which would suggest they make it for console first, or is development done in parallel with PC just taking a bit longer?

Depends on the game but a lot of AAA games get ported to PC which is why you get so many games running like crap on launch. See the last Arkham game for a high profile example.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I played it at the time. Has the honor of being the first of two games I ever traded in. Found it a bit crap. It was interesting but ultimately kind of bland and the emo thing it had going on was really childish. Thankfully the team is back to their chronicles of riddick standards.

There felt like a lot of wondering around without doing anything interesting. Preferred Darkness II tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just on the whole Uncharted and Tomb Raider thing.

I never played the 2nd Tomb Raider so can't really offer an opinion on that one.

Tomb Raider 2013 is nowhere near the quality of Uncharted 4 or 2 for me. You could make a argument for it being better than 3 (I'd still disagree) and it's better than Uncharted 1 alright although that game is a decade old at this stage.

Story wise Uncharted is so enjoyable.

Tomb Raider has some cool moments with some nice ideas and set pieces but all I could think about when playing it back in 2014 was "I wish I was playing the next Uncharted instead".

I did really dislike the amount of time spent climbing things in Uncharted 4 though. Felt like every big area had something you had to spend 5 minutes climbing.

Story wise Uncharted is so enjoyable.

I thought it was hackneyed and very predictable. There wasn't anything interesting in the relationship between the two brothers.
    I did really dislike the amount of time spent climbing things in Uncharted 4 though. Felt like every big area had something you had to spend 5 minutes climbing.

Ditto, this sucked the life out of the game for me. That and the overlong cutscenes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

GAMES IN WHICH YOU CLIMB THINGS:

Zelda Breath of the Wild >/= The Last Guardian / SotC > Grow Home / Up > Uncharted series > Assassins Creed series > Tomb raider reboots

(I really dislike the two new Tomb Raider games. Even if the gameplay is more open, the basic artistry, pacing and characterisation in Uncharted is an entirely different level)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

As much as I like the game Horizon has the worst climbing of the lot.

As for the best don't forget Grow Home!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Looks like Assassins Creed climbing will be more like Zelda's, in that you will be able to climb pretty much anything from the video's I have seen. I hope more games change climbing to be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As much as I like the game Horizon has the worst climbing of the lot.

Yeah as much as I loved Horizon, the climbing was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Zelda Breath of the Wild >/= The Last Guardian / SotC > Grow Home / Up > Uncharted series > Assassins Creed series > Tomb raider reboots

God, I found that game to be the most boring heap of hot garbage after the about 45 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

How did I miss that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

this guy sums all of e3 up pretty well :D:D

video

id have embedded it into my post except he does curse quite a bit and im a coward who doesnt want to piss off moderators :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

this guy sums all of e3 up pretty well :D:D

id have embedded it into my post except he does curse quite a bit and im a coward who doesnt want to piss off moderators :pac:

Man up :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

(I really dislike the two new Tomb Raider games. Even if the gameplay is more open, the basic artistry, pacing and characterisation in Uncharted is an entirely different level)

I'd assume in the new Spiderman you can climb everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'd assume in the new Spiderman you can climb everything?

Except in the bathtub level :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

That horrible snake Phil spencer is spewing more of his vile rhetoric here /s

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-xbox-boss-reiterates-that-console-wars-are/1100-6450917/

That horrible snake Phil spencer is spewing more of his vile rhetoric here /s

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-xbox-boss-reiterates-that-console-wars-are/1100-6450917/

If he's magnanimous about everyone supporting each other, why are XBox so obsessed with timed exclusives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

If he's magnanimous about everyone supporting each other, why are XBox so obsessed with timed exclusives?
    You have a point, but you're also missing the key point which is the content eventually comes to PS4. Whereas Sony deals in permanent exclusive content.

Do you think Xbox couldn't do the same? Of course they could. They have done in the past under different management. The difference is he won't do it because it's bad for gaming.

Speculation is also mounting that Destiny 2 has been intentionally borked to bring parity with the Pro. If this turns out to be true than we have some nasty business deals going on.

You have a point, but you're also missing the key point which is the content eventually comes to PS4. Whereas Sony deals in permanent exclusive content.

Do you think Xbox couldn't do the same? Of course they could. They have done in the past under different management. The difference is he won't do it because it's bad for gaming.

Isn't the Destiny content timed as well? This seems to be the one that seems to stick in the craw for many. If he doesn't want to offer exclusive content for Xbox beyond timed exclusives (which I think are an utter pain in the hole) doesn't mean that all other consoles have to do it. As for it being bad for gaming? Puh-lease… there's far worse sins committed by gaming companies out there.

Anybody read the interview on EG from Jim Ryan ?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-14-the-big-interview-sonys-jim-ryan

Some interesting stuff in there. In relation to this conversation it doesnt paint sony in the best light. Would appear they have totally different idea with exclusives. Sony are so much more reliant on 3rd party exclusives than ive ever seen them be. In fairness i think they learned from MS though!! Worked for them on the past.

The bit that worries me most though is this quote:
    Jim Ryan: The Playlink initiative, that begins next month, so it's very immediate. That particular one, it's very hard to get that concept across on a big stage like that. We've made good provision for people like yourself to trial it down at the show. It's one of those things, you just try it and you end up killing yourself laughing. It's just a good social experience with a very easy interface. The games are going to be £20. As we seek to go now from 50 to 100m PS4s, it's the sort of thing we're going to be doing.

Social games as they try to close in on 100mil sold? Eh no thanks sony!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Speculation is also mounting that Destiny 2 has been intentionally borked to bring parity with the Pro. If this turns out to be true than we have some nasty business deals going on.
    But it's unclear if that framerate is the result of hardware restrictions or because Sony, through its partnership with Activision, would not allow the game to run better on rival hardware.

It is not unclear.

It's 100% clear that it was due to hardware restrictions
    "I'm gonna struggle to not get myself in trouble on this one," he said. "I'll just say: I don't know anything about other development deals. You mentioned some things around clauses and stuff that I don't know anything about. But if anybody was to do a deal to hold back technical innovation on a video game anywhere else, that doesn't feel good for the industry to me."

That whole statement is so slimey, I actually feel like showering after reading it.

"Now i'm not saying Wendy Testaburger is a Smurf killing b!tch....but..."

I actually lost a modicum of respect for the guy

• Advertisement

I'd say the problem with Destiny 2 running on Xbox One X at 30FPS is as much to do with keeping a parity for players on the original Xbox One as it being anything to do with the PS4 Pro.

Advertisement