Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big E3 discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Benzino wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Borderlands is overrated?

No but you and everyone who thinks so is wrong.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Borderlands is a fantastic game so I would say your in the minority in thinking its overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Some rasslers showed up on Giant Bomb's E3 show last night.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-at-nite-live-from-e3-2017-nite-2/2300-12107/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

gimli2112 wrote: »
    No but you and everyone who thinks so is wrong.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

:(

Ah, ye'r entitled to your opinion :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope. It's just a loot grindfest and the story is written by people that think regurgitating memes is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I really enjoyed it with friends but got bored very quickly on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

It beats BotW any day of the week.

IMHO
    :D

It's a game best played in a group

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some rasslers showed up on Giant Bomb's E3 show last night.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-at-nite-live-from-e3-2017-nite-2/2300-12107/

Giantbomb's E3 coverage is one of my favourite things about the whole show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nope. It's just a loot grindfest and the story is written by people that think regurgitating memes is funny.

Yeah. Good thing theres no grinding or loot to be farmed in JRPGs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,119 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah. Good thing theres no grinding or loot to be farmed in JRPGs

In the good ones that are well designed there isn't unless you want to do optional end game content. Of course only people that have played enough of them would be able to give an informed opinion on that subject.

In the good ones that are well designed there isn't unless you want to do optional end game content. Of course only people that have played enough of them would be able to give an informed opinion on that subject.

It was a joke.

You don't need to go full GATEKEEPER OF JRPGS on it

Roll-Your-Eyes.jpg
    In the good ones that are well designed there isn't unless you want to do optional end game content.

Anyway, you're talking out your a$$ now when it suits your rhetoric.

Neither Destiny 1 nor Borderlands 2 required ANY grinding or loot farming unless it was for specific optional end game content.

You could play both games campaign linearly and not have to go spend anytime doing non-story content.

Of course only people who played enough of them would know that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Retr0gamer wrote:

Ah you wouldn't like it anyway it's a series that was created post 1984 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It beats BotW any day of the week.

IMHO
    :D

:eek:

Anyway, you're talking out your a$$ now when it suits your rhetoric.

Neither Destiny 1 nor Borderlands 2 required ANY grinding or loot farming unless it was for specific optional end game content.

You could play both games campaign linearly and not have to go spend anytime doing non-story content.

Of course only people who played enough of them would know that :rolleyes:

It's a misconception I hate seeing repeated.

I've played quite a bit of Destiny and Borderlands 2 actually. Really didn't like them and the campaigns were kind of rubbish, the grinding and loot farming is the main content of the game.

I'm not saying they are bad but ive tried plenty of loot farming games since diablo 1 and they've never clicked for me. They just aren't my thing. I keep tryin to see if they will click with me.

There's a heap of rpgs made in Japan that are heavily influenced by diablo loot mechanics that do nothing for me either. There's also a misconception that western rpgs and Japanese rpgs are different beasts but both are so varied and also so similar that they're really all just under the rpg family.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I've played quite a bit of Destiny and Borderlands 2 actually. Really didn't like them and the campaigns were kind of rubbish, the grinding and loot farming is the main content of the game.

I'm not saying they are bad but ive tried plenty of loot farming games since diablo 1 and they've never clicked for me. They just aren't my thing. I keep tryin to see if they will click with me.

There's a heap of rpgs made in Japan that are heavily influenced by diablo loot mechanics that do nothing for me either. There's also a misconception that western rpgs and Japanese rpgs are different beasts but both are so varied and also so similar that they're really all just under the rpg family.

Retro,

Did you play Borderlands 2 on your own or with a group? On my own at the start I found the game to be a pain in the hoop but once we grouped up it was a serious laugh to play through and the grinding I found to be very light compared to destiny.

Destiny, in my opinion its the raids that make this game worthwhile. Grabbing 6 mates and having a laugh while beating bosses is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had but its not exactly for everyone.

Diablo...... now there is a grindy game, but I still enjoy playing it :D

Nooooooope...

So say: "The Campaigns were cr@p and I had no desire to repeat playing any of that content of exploring any side content" instead. Period.

Instead of trying to position it that grinding for non-neccessary loot or repeating any content (at the same difficulty or higher) is dedicated to the evil western FPS/RPG genre just because it suits your case, and you want to get up on a soap box and dictate to to others why your opinions are the only "right" thing on the Boards Gaming Forums for the 100th time a day.

Loot and Grinding form part of the gameplay loop if you want to continue playing the game after you have completed the main story campaign

In the cases of these 2 games, and others, you can still play the Campaign from level 1 -> level 20 or 30 and have a completely grind/farm free experience

Destiny annoyed me because loot was just for lots sake. Like what the feck are light points? I can understand getting a better sword or armour, it makes sense but destiny was just increasing arbitrary figures and it felt like it was wasting my time.

I played Borderlands 2 single player and multilayer with one friend.

I just find both to be like mmo games. They are glorified chat windows were you are playing a game in the background. Chatting with friends is always great but the actual game is pretty brain dead underneath save for the very occasional challenging raid type encounter. You can play any old cap with mates and it will be fun but it doesn't mean the game underneath is all that deep or challenging.

Again this is just me. I'd rather meet friends and multilayer in real life. I can see the appeal of these games but I also feel a lot if what they do us waste the players time with repetetive skinner box cycles which I'm not a fan of. I prefer good game design!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Retr0gamer wrote:

Destiny this is true, however as a social experience it is one of the best games ever made, everything about it just works.

Try grouping up in battfield or Titanfall etc destiny just does it well.

Borderlands is a great game granted you don't like it, but the story was fun. As was borderlands 2 handsome jack was a great character.

Anyway retro don't take this as an insult but more feedback, but for a good while now your posts have an antagonistic undertone to them and a few people have commented on it.

Maybe worth looking at it as it makes it hard to get in an actual discussion with you on a topic.

Also as a mod you need to look at your posting style, some of the stuff you put out is baiting pure and simple.

Anyway as I said not meant in a bad way, have a think about it sure.

Nooooooope...

So say: "The Campaigns were cr@p and I had no desire to repeat playing any of that content of exploring any side content" instead. Period.

Instead of trying to position it that grinding for non-neccessary loot or repeating any content (at the same difficulty or higher) is dedicated to the evil western FPS/RPG genre just because it suits your case, and you want to get up on a soap box and dictate to to others why your opinions are the only "right" thing on the Boards Gaming Forums for the 100th time a day.

Loot and Grinding form part of the gameplay loop if you want to continue playing the game after you have completed the main story campaign

In the cases of these 2 games, and others, you can still play the Campaign from level 1 -> level 20 or 30 and have a completely grind/farm free experience

Read my post next time before going on a rant. I didn't enjoy the campaigns. I don't like loot based games. And I never said thus was about western rpgs. Not all western rpgs are loot based and I enjoy those and there's plenty of Japanese games based on the diabolo loot based system that I don't enjoy.

The word you should be concentrating on is *I*. As I said these games were never for me. I can see why people like them but again I'm repeating myself.

I know it's hard to comprehend but my opinions are not absolute. I never say they are. It's flattering you hold my opinions in such high regard but take some advice: some people have different opinions to you and when they voice their opinions it isn't a direct attack on you or the thing you love. Argue your point in a civil way but don't take it personally. Video games are not serious business.

• Advertisement

Destiny annoyed me because loot was just for lots sake. Like what the feck are light points? I can understand getting a better sword or armour, it makes sense but destiny was just increasing arbitrary figures and it felt like it was wasting my time.

I just find both to be like mmo games. They are glorified chat windows were you are playing a game in the background. Chatting with friends is always great but the actual game is pretty brain dead underneath save for the very occasional challenging raid type encounter. You can play any old cap with mates and it will be fun but it doesn't mean the game underneath is all that deep or challenging.

Again this is just me. I'd rather meet friends and multilayer in real life. I can see the appeal of these games but I also feel a lot if what they do us waste the players time with repetetive skinner box cycles which I'm not a fan of. I prefer good game design!

The Destiny Campaign at Launch (vanilla) ended with your being able to hit Level 20 through sheer story based gameplay and the final mission had a level 16 "requirement".

Everything beyond Level 20 was "End Game" where you repeated content or opted-in to the core Loot/Grind gameplay loop in an effort to play optional side-story content (see the original Raid: Vault of Glass - No interaction with main story campaign)

The same can be said fro the run from Level 1 -> 30 in Borderlands 2
    Argue your point in a civil way but don't take it personally. Video games are not serious business.

Nothing I said was uncivil. I just call Bulls**t when I see it.
    It's flattering you hold my opinions in such high regard but take some advice: some people have different opinions to you and when they voice their opinions it isn't a direct attack on you or the thing you love

Christ, isn't that just DRIPPING with condescension. You were talking rubbish, I called you out on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I forgot Retro only like some strange RPG that has sexy Henti girls that you get to date a mushroom in then one of the best games of all time in Borderlands 2.

Borderlands 2 is the perfect FPS with lv up and loot and the story is great and over the top i went in expacting a brain dead over the top story thats what i get. I wont over the top action thats what i got.

Over the last few years my game playing has got less and less thanks to family life, work (I work in IT i have to use the brain 90% of the day to think of fixes to issues that i never seen before) so when i come up and have a hour or two i wont to play something that i can leave my brain at the door and just have fun. Borderlands 2 and Dabilo 3 are 2 of my fave all time games as they give you just that and there so easy to pick up and play as well and just have fun playing and grinding.

Another game i have a soft spot for it is disgaea I am playing the 5th one on the switch to and from work on the bus every day for the past 3 weeks i don't waste time with the story as its so much reading to do !!!!. I get a grind fest that is more or less a board game that i just plan out and have fun playing.

But one game i do not get all the hype for is monster hunter. I tryed over it twice once on the PSP and the 3DS i dont get the hype at all its such a boring grind fest with noting going for it game play rise !!!!.

The light points? I think you are refering to the guardians "Light Level" which is basically the levelling system they chose to utilise in destiny and it works really well. Well maybe with destiny you were wasting your time, maybe its just not the type of game your good at or the type of game you would enjoy but there is a huge player base for the game for a very good reason.

I have to disagree, in destiny there are now 4 raids with challenge modes etc that are very very challenging for even the most skilled of gamers. Its not just about chatting with friends its about co-op play, you need your team to be doing to right thing to progress even further.

No Jonny, "Light Points/Level" only existed in the base game AFTER you hit level 20 which could be done by sheer gameplay (similar to BL2)

So to be clear, in September 2014, you could be Lvl20 AND Light Level 26... the removed the "Normal" leveling system (1-20) when tTK came out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I never minded the grind in Borderlands 2 because the game was just so much fun to play. I loved the campaign (yeah, a few annoying characters and misfires on some of the humour), I loved the gameplay and I loved looting. I also never found there to be much of a grind in the main game itself. Sure you'd have to do a few side missions to level up enough, but the side missions were so well done for the most part and had good enough rewards to warrant it anyway. Plus I played through it completely solo so even with jonnycivic's post about how playing it through with a group is better, I never felt it was necessary, and enjoyed it solely on my own.

That being said, The Pre-Sequel did almost nothing for me, so it's not the looting or the grind itself that's the issue, it's the game as a whole. Borderlands 2 just hit the exact right mark for me. The Pre-Sequel just always felt like a sub-standard imitation.

The Destiny Campaign at Launch (vanilla) ended with your being able to hit Level 20 through sheer story based gameplay and the final mission had a level 16 "requirement".

Everything beyond Level 20 was "End Game" where you repeated content or opted-in to the core Loot/Grind gameplay loop in an effort to play optional side-story content (see the original Raid: Vault of Glass - No interaction with main story campaign)

The same can be said fro the run from Level 1 -> 30 in Borderlands 2

True, but the campaigns aren't that enjoyable for me. Borderlands is pretty substantial but Destiny is flat out bad. The post game is where the real game is at, the campaign is pretty much an extended tutorial. I just can't get into these types of games though but that's my problem. Really if you are playing just the campaign of these games you are missing out on the good stuff. The 'good stuff' just isn't something I enjoy.
    Nothing I said was uncivil. I just call Bulls**t when I see it.

So do I and your original post was a dig at me. I'm not petty enough to go nuclear about it but I think it's more than fair to call you out on it especially as it escalated something that really didn't need to be escalated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Shut it nerds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Destiny's campaign was woeful and established a new low in campaign mode gaming from an AAA dev studio that had a rep of making fantastic campaigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So to be clear, in September 2014, you could be Lvl20 AND Light Level 26...

This is where it all starts to sound like Scientology to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Shut it nerds.

It needed to be said.

Advertisement