Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dardania wrote: »
    Actually a graphic designer put them together himself - really impressive stuff.

https://twitter.com/yascaoimhin/status/1042410584086593536?s=21

Hire that man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Hire that man!

Funnily enough, they did :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That’s a great map in fairness

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If those maps were included in the original proposal, an awful lot of complaints and confusion would have been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Not great Journalism here - one of the main stories is about a man who claims he'll have to get 2 buses from Rutland Grove to James Hospital under the new network - from my calculations he's actually benefitting from the changes as the S2 will bring him into James whereas the 17 leaves him in Rialto. Should the journalist not check these claims before printing?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/i-would-definitely-go-out-and-protest-busconnects-plan-leaves-many-unimpressed-1.3637168

Among those present at the meeting was Christy Stedman, from Rutland Grove in Crumlin, who said: “They’re hitting the working class areas all the time, that’s what’s happening.”

Mr Stedman and his wife Helen say they will have to get two buses to get to appointments at St James’s Hospital under the new plans.

“My husband has to go down to St James’s every few weeks, we get the 17 bus down [to Rialto]. If this was to come in we would have to get two buses,” said Ms Stedman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What our politicians should be doing is putting on the pressure to make sure the changes are done properly and genuine concerns are taken into account not objecting to the plans in their entirety and advocating that our current broken bus system is kept as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

loyatemu wrote: »
    missing the "O" interchange.

That looks good. Pretty straightforward really as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jarrett Walker and Dermot O'Leary of the NBRU were on Drivetime earlier. You can find it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

CatInABox wrote: »
    Jarrett Walker and Dermot O'Leary of the NBRU were on Drivetime earlier. You can find it here.

I came home from work listening to it and I am wondering why Jarrett bothers his hole. He will run from this project when it finishes and never look back.:pac:

Also Dermo has a bee in his bonnet about social media trolls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

CatInABox wrote: »
    If those maps were included in the original proposal, an awful lot of complaints and confusion would have been avoided.

+ !00%.

The issue of a young freelance Graphic Designer being able to craft such valuable,clear,concise and readily useable maps from the morass initially presented by a Government Authority surely cannot be allowed slip by unremarked on.

We constantly hear,from NTA inclined posters,that the Authority is cash-strapped and struggling to maintain human resources,however if this is the case,then should not the "Authority" remove itself from at least some of it,s many & varied NATIONAL responsibilities.

Devising & Producing clear legible maps is surely a basic requirement to be in place BEFORE embarking upon a major change process....but then again....hereabouts,maybe it's not.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I listened to OLeary of NBU on news talk.

Christ he talks some rubbish.

Obviously angling for "compensation" because his members might have to drive another hundred metres.

He then tried the "houses will lose value" lark by suggesting if the house was not near a bus stop nobody would buy it.

What stupidity.

Unfortunately some people will believe such tripe

There was some remark from Dermot at the end about people valuing their public services, I was waiting for him to accuse Jarrett of privatising them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

CeilingFly wrote: »
    He then tried the "houses will lose value" lark by suggesting if the house was not near a bus stop nobody would buy it.

Funnily enough, the exact reverse argument is almost certainly going to be used by people in well heeled areas during the infrastructure consultation, that buses will hit their property values by their mere presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

devnull wrote: »
    Funnily enough, the exact reverse argument is almost certainly going to be used by people in well heeled areas during the infrastructure consultation, that buses will hit their property values by their mere presence.

Jeezo. Running the 63 through Foxrock Village for years didn’t exactly flood the area with riff-raff.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dring

salmocab wrote: »
    That’s a great map in fairness

The map looks well but a map of existing routes would look remarkably similar. Not sure how the routes can all be scheduled to ensure the promised bus every 5 mins in the spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

I came home from work listening to it and I am wondering why Jarrett bothers his hole. He will run from this project when it finishes and never look back.:pac:

Also Dermo has a bee in his bonnet about social media trolls :D

Going into work this morning listening to Morning Ireland and think I heard about a public meeting Shane Ross was at about the new system.
    The quote was something like "new system is no responsibility of mine" and "Oh dont worry about that" when shown a map of a route.

What a waster!

Regarding Shane Ross perhaps you should check what he said in earlier postings here rather than what you think you heard about the meeting on the radio.

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Regarding Shane Ross perhaps you should check what he said in earlier postings here rather than what you think you heard about the meeting on the radio.

Fair enough, sorry for getting it wrong. Ill take it back.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    I listened to OLeary of NBRU on news talk.

Christ he talks some rubbish.

Bloody hell, he is so out of touch with the average commuter, it's unbelievable.

He fixated so much on the "8% of commuters will lose their direct service" and tried to contort that into "8% of 140million yearly bus journeys will be axed"; even when Jarrett was clarifying that those buses will still be running albeit on other routes to provide a higher frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

With so much mis-information out there, I'm tempted to start running a few facebook ads to get the correct info out there. If it can work to topple governments, surely it can be used to inform people and point them to busconnects.ie

Anyone want to go in on it?!

The saddest thing about all this protesting against BusConnects is that even if they manage to get it "cancelled", or something along those lines, the NTA will probably just sit on their hands and wait. In five years, some bus routes will be past breaking point, with certain parts of the city centre becoming a bus depot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Bloody hell, he is so out of touch with the average commuter, it's unbelievable.

Thing is we can all moan about O'Leary to the cows come home and how he is acting and the kind of rhetoric he is using, but you have to remember that his job as a leader of a bus and rail union is to be in tune with his members and not with the average commuter, so I'm not really sure what you were expecting in this regard to be perfectly honest.

BusConnects is bad for his members - it means routes are tore up, lots of marked in drivers are going to lose some rosters which are very comfortable for them and of course, routes that are not direct city services, if that in the very near future, almost none of them will be operated by his members since almost all of those existing routes are going to Go-Ahead.

For all O'Leary's faults he is not stupid. Far from it. He is playing a clever game of stoking up fear in the eyes of the public, because that fear creates pressure on politicians and policy-makers that ultimately may end up resulting in the project being watered down and ultimately that is what he and his members want, for the reasons that I've outlined above.

I don't agree with what he is doing or how he has gone about things and how many of the politicians involved have acted. But ultimately O'Leary is playing to the people who pay their subs and are members of the NBRU and he'll be immensely popular with them for the campaign he's run, just as the left are also playing to their base as well.

What we could do with now is a transport user body, similar to Transport Focus in the UK being formed to allow transport passengers to have their say in the media and represent passenger groups. There is no body like this in Ireland and I really think there should be, since there seems to be a tendency for the media to treat the NBRU as a voice for passengers, when they quite frankly are not. This is something the NTA should look at setting up, with independent leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

He fixated so much on the "8% of commuters will lose their direct service" and tried to contort that into "8% of 140million yearly bus journeys will be axed"; even when Jarrett was clarifying that those buses will still be running albeit on other routes to provide a higher frequency.

TBH, not suprised at that. This is a pretty straightforward and sensible plan from what I've seen thus far.:rolleyes:

devnull wrote: »
    I don't agree with what he is doing or how he has gone about things and how many of the politicians involved have acted. But ultimately O'Leary is playing to the people who pay their subs and are members of the NBRU and he'll be immensely popular with them for the campaign he's run, just as the left are also playing to their base as well.

And this is the main problem. The unions shouldn't even really be talking in all of this, they answer to the NTA and they should do as they are bloody well told to do or go find another line of work. I already have massive disdain for them after the last set of strikes, and I kinda wish we had a Thatcher-esque in government to tell them what for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

I kinda wish we had a Thatcher-esque in government to tell them what for.

Thatcher destroyed most of England so I'd be very careful what you wish for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Qrt wrote: »
    Thatcher destroyed most of England so I'd be very careful what you wish for.

Agreed I think but I think the OP was more wishing for Thatcher's style of governance rather than her policies which were very much pro private car and anti public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Agreed I think but I think the OP was more wishing for Thatcher's style of governance rather than her policies which were very much pro private car and anti public transport.

But her style of governance came directly from her policies, and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Zebra3 wrote: »
    He’s Minister for Transport. Somewhere along the line it has something to do with him.

Stepaside garda station, we don't want him to interfere

Bus connects, we want him to interfere

Make up your mind.

Can you show where I asked him to interfere? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Make up your mind.

Garda stations should be allocated and staffed according to need determined by objective criteria, not which politician has the most sway or wants to use public money to buy votes.

Nobody is asking the minister for transport to "interfere" in the bus connects plan rather that he should take responsibility for its rollout and defend in the political arena in which it's come under attack.

The NTA are unable to do anything about what politicians are engaged in. If not the minister for transport then who?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Make up your mind.

Stepaside is a matter for the Dept of Justice, Busconnects is an issue for the Dept of Transport.

Who is the Minister for Transport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Public Consultation on revised plans expected in Jan 2019.

Advertisement