Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Every time there was a request for comment, I always specifically said that one of the E or F spines needed to take that routing; or even the A-spine running down the full length of Dorset St, onto North King St to also cross at Father Matthew Bridge.

The city centre interchange area really needs to be more than just OCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭tubbs26

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Is there an assigned route number for that Dun Laoghaire shuttle as well, like the 99?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Not that I've seen. Will be interesting to see who operates it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭trellheim

"Every time there was a request for comment, I always specifically said that one of the E or F spines needed to take that routing; or even the A-spine running down the full length of Dorset St, onto North King St to also cross at Father Matthew Bridge.

The city centre interchange area really needs to be more than just OCS."

Very true.

Capel St and Parliament St should have been a southbound route with the northbounds going up Jervis . Some of the other routes should have been diverted to Gardiner St (and Marlborough St) and around Beresford Place but at the moment everyone seems to think its OK to jam all the modes in front of Daniel O Connell . This utter lack of foresight - which wont' get any better with Busconnects - was on show yesterday when that whole axis ground to a halt because of two stuck trams.

Stand at the Ambassador theatre and look south Mon Fri at 1730 its an utter logjam of buses every single day, a previously much more freeflowing traffic is now completely snarled and its nothing at all to do with private cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭VG31

I noticed that too. They've been working on the new bus stops on Griffith Avenue outside Tolka Rovers this week. I think that must be nearly all the bus stops for the N2 done now. Although I haven't been around the section of Griffith Avenue past Whitehall or some parts of Cabra on the route recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭loco_scolo

its nothing at all to do with private cars.

Private cars are still allowed to cross OCS via Parnell, cross the quays at both directions at OC Bridge and travel from Pearse Street to Westmoreland St. You also have private cars clogging up Tara Street and a whole host of other streets in or near the city centre, which massively increases the amount of conflicts for buses to flow freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

I forgot about the N2. It will be great when the frequency of the 40e/replacement service is improved, and Broombridge become a real hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This issue needs attention and I think it's something that's slipped by the NTA. When DART arrives at Broombridge it'll be manic, a luas extension to Finglas and it'll be completely wedged and there isn't room to swing a cat there. Plus there'll be the new bus connects routes, the Royal Canal greenway and the cycle routes that are complimentary to the Finglas luas project. It'll be one of the most accessible places in Ireland and we'll still be arsing around with 1m wide platforms.

• Advertisement

Fully in agreement. It's not treated as a hub really.

Have also given up the idea in Irish Rail and Dublin Bus talking to each other and adjusting some schedules slightly.

Is there anything more tangible on the E Spine and N2 phase? I got some election material today which again just says Q2 2024 which is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Can you show/tell us what was written on that election material about the E-Spine and N2?

If the date for their rollout is still Q2 2024; I would assume that things are going along nicely this time around barring shortages of drivers hampering it's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Now planned for Q3 (and later rather than sooner in that quarter) as far as I know.

As I’ve said before, until you hear about driver route training starting, then I’d take any dates with a grain of salt.

It's disappointing that the Bus Connects rollout seems to be getting even slower. Since the rollout started in 2021 there's been two phases each year, in May/June and October/November. It seems this year we'll probably only get one. If it continues at this rate Bus Connects won't be done until around 2030! Apparently the F spine requires even more drivers and yet the smaller E spine keeps getting delayed.

And yes I know, there aren't enough drivers

Yeah, it's a pain. It's a pity other transport options can't be ramped up like Luas to Finglas and Dart extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Remember that in addition to the E Spine, there should be the “O” in Q4 as well, which will itself require a lot of additional drivers.

That will still mean two phases in 2024.

That will leave five phases remaining.

The E Spine phase isn't smaller than the F Spine. It involves the N2 which is a completely new frequent bus route, and new local routes in southeast Dublin & northeast Wicklow.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that the E spine phase requires less drivers than the F spine phase and that's why they swapped them in the rollout. Of course I don't know if that's accurate but there must have been some reason for changing the order.

I was seeing the news today that were a lot of vehicles stuck in heavy traffic between Lucan & Blanchardstown & along the quays in Dublin City Centre. The fatal collision on the M50 this morning must have had a very heavy negative impact on punctuality for bus routes going through those parts of Dublin throughout today. This would have had huge knock-on delays for the C-Spine/52, G-Spine/60, Bus Eireann, GAI Commuter routes, Citylink etc.

The H-Spine buses along with the other routes that go from Abbey St also had to go through diversions when they went back to Dublin City Centre as the remembrance ceremony for the 50th anniversary of The Dublin & Monaghan bombings took place in Talbot St earlier today. What diversions did these bus routes take today?

Were any you guys affected by this heavy level of distruption around Dublin today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Pale Red

It tooke me 4 hours (not a typo) to go from the Longmile Road to Kilmainham Jail. I started at 3 o'clock. At least I did get to go home. RIP the person on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭john boye

Most of the southside was chaos. Judging by the long queues of buses stuck in stationery traffic I'd say the evening rush hour schedules were decimated.

Who is going to operate the N2? Are most of the bus stops needed for the route installed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BusGuy

Quite a rocky road for Ranelagh today due to the protests in the city. Both the 44 and the 11 faced delays, with the 44 appearing twice on the RTPI board in the main Ranelagh area.

The Sandford Road is very prone to traffic, the TFI and the NTA could do something about this as it loosens up at around the Larch Grove Traffic Lights, just in front of the Sandford Road Set Down stop. Is the green light too short there?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There is one more to be done East of Tolka, which has the blue paint, but I won't say until I see them working on it. There is also another stop that might need a bit of refurbishment

I'm not sure I'd call the N2 a frequent service, unless the schedule has been changed from the original BusConnects docs. It is 30 minute frequency all weekend and after 7 week days which is very poor. And it differs between 15 and 20 minutes week days.

Personally I think they might get caught out on how popular this route is and it might require better frequency, particularly at the weekend.

Disappointed with the decision to give go ahead the N2. Say what you will about Dublin bus, at least the drivers can actually drive a bus and know their route.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

• Registered Users Posts: 11 scrabtom

It says on Neasa Hourigan's constituency letter that E spine and 19 route are planned to go live on September 26th.

She also says that the O orbital and N2 orbital are planned for November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

That actually aligns with what I heard a short while ago. E Spin late September :(

Advertisement