Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fella I went to school with is running for a seat as a pbp councillor. I met him on a ridiculously late 13 last week, and he complained that, and I quote "the bourgeoisie government" are cutting Clondalkin's direct city bus services. I tried to point out the fact that we were sitting on a 15 minutes late direct service, and that I would have to pay for this bus, plus the Luas (caught by running across 3 lanes of traffic and a mucky path at Kykenore Rd) in order to catch the luas and not be late for my "bourgeoisie' government job of less than an Aldi worker, in order to not be late for work.

Sad fact is that as long as people like him can whip up a moronic crowd, long term plans like bus connects have no chance.

The putative councillors makes me wonder if we need a competence test before allowing people to read Orwell, let alone Marx or Trotsky...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shane Ross has said that BusConnects has nothing to do with him and the NTA are not his responsibility

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/shane-ross-says-busconnects-has-nothing-to-do-with-him-1.3636336

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

marno21 wrote: »
    Shane Ross has said that BusConnects has nothing to do with him and the NTA are not his responsibility

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/shane-ross-says-busconnects-has-nothing-to-do-with-him-1.3636336
    Well it’s a good plan so I would take it that that incompetent fool had nothing to do with it. Shane Ross is everything wrong with politics in this country rolled up into one obnoxious package. He was a good spokesman when not in government and as soon as he got in he went against everything he had said beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Jarret Walker on Newstalk this morning. He was asked if he normally gets this type of response when they release plans. His response was fairly bland, you'd love to know what he really thinks.

As an aside, all the talk I've heard so far is about how people's regular commutes are impacted, the big win of this is the number of new destinations we can get to. From my place on Griffith Avenue I used to have busses into town and that's it. Now I have direct busses to Clontarf, the Dart, Phoenix Park, Heuston Station and a future Metro station. They really need to sell this as "you're getting more destinations" rather than the impact on current destinations

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That's extraordinary. What is he responsible for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Qrt

hmmm wrote: »

Garda stations.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

CeilingFly wrote: »
    May 2017
    When Bus Connects was launched in May 2017, Minister for Transport Shane Ross said it would “transform Dublin’s bus system in a fundamental way”, making it almost synonymous with “speed, punctuality, reliability and convenience”.

Sept 2018
    Minister for Transport Shane Ross told a residents’ association meeting in his constituency on Wednesday evening he had nothing to do with the BusConnects plan .

Funny there are direct quotes in the first but paraphrasing in the second. I'd like to know exactly what he actually said at the residents association meeting, rather than what somebody thinks he was saying. For the press to make a claim like that, surely they must know exactly what he said? Why do they not want to share this with their readers and resort to paraphrasing, which is often used to overly simplify things? Why not use direct quotes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

hmmm wrote: »
    Qrt wrote: »
    Garda stations.

Garda Station - singular

+ Minister for Pie in the Sky (The Granny and whoever else you want Grant)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

May 2017
    When Bus Connects was launched in May 2017, Minister for Transport Shane Ross said it would “transform Dublin’s bus system in a fundamental way”, making it almost synonymous with “speed, punctuality, reliability and convenience”.

Sept 2018
    Minister for Transport Shane Ross told a residents’ association meeting in his constituency on Wednesday evening he had nothing to do with the BusConnects plan .

What an effin plonker

In fair to Share Ross and those aren't word I say too often . He was actually doing his job this time. He basically said I'm going to submit a consultation based on the feedback from my area. That the plan isn't perfect and it will be changed . Which is much better than the typical this is my area 2300 buses now! He was on RTÉ Radio 1 at 10 if you want to listen back

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/busconnects-designer-says-union-is-misleading-public-1.3636869?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mr Walker also said he did not think he had met with Minister for Transport Shane Ross. “I don’t know if I met with him personally, I know the NTA meet with him all the time, so I know he was in the loop.....

“It was my understanding that the NTA’s role was precisely to develop the plan for the Minister.”

Outrage as minster doesn't play parish pump politics and leaves job to the experts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

May 2017

Sept 2018

What an effin plonker

In fair to Share Ross and those aren't word I say too often . He was actually doing his job this time. He basically said I'm going to submit a consultation based on the feedback from my area. That the plan isn't perfect and it will be changed . Which is much better than the typical this is my area 2300 buses now! He was on RTÉ Radio 1 at 10 if you want to listen back

He’s Minister for Transport. Somewhere along the line it has something to do with him.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    He’s Minister for Transport. Somewhere along the line it has something to do with him.

We are into he said /they said . He said he said the details are nothing to do with him, this is exactly what you want a Minster to say. They said he said it has nothing to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Some of the things people are criticising the NTA for not doing is what the minister should be doing. The NTA are a government department doing a job, it's not really their business to be involved in politics.

The minister though is a politician and should be out playing the political game to make sure this plan is a success.

Can we hire a consultant for minister for transport instead?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Are you really complaining that there is not enough political interference? :)

At the end of the day I'd far rather we leave the experts to drive improvements in their industries, a lot of our problems come from the fact that you have politicians who are too busy trying to influence policy in a way to drum up votes, rather than doing what the country actually needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

loyatemu wrote: »
    Therefore existing users protest. And notional "new" users do not lobby in favour of the plans.
    Some of them haven't been born yet. With a minimum 25% increase in population forecast over the next 18-20 years and a continuing trend of workers moving from rural areas towards urban areas such as Dublin, this is one of the most important aspects of this plan. To put it in perspective, the last major refresh of Dublin Bus services was in the mid-nineties, and if it hadn't been done then, Dublin would be in a far worse place today.
    Qrt wrote: »
    Does anyone actually feel like emigrating? Getting around Dublin makes me so furious most of the time and I've always felt like I'd be gone if this plan doesn't go through.

I spend minimum three hours commuting everyday. Yesterday I spent four hours. As an existing user, this will help me. And it'll improve my quality of life and my health amongst other things.

I actually love Dublin, and I like the work prospects here. But getting around can be a nuisance. And it compounds the rent problem. Remember, better transport into and around the city will have a knock-on effect on other social issues such as homelessness, rent pressure and healthcare.

I understand why he's taking this position, but he needs to tackle this head on. This is one of the most important issues in his portfolio for the city of Dublin and he should be willing to risk everything to make it happen. It's time to give up the gombeen politics and address this issue honestly and fairly, in the interests of our future and our childrens' future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stepaside garda station, we don't want him to interfere

Bus connects, we want him to interfere

Make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Stepaside garda station, we don't want him to interfere

Bus connects, we want him to interfere

Make up your mind.
    I'd say it's more that the government should not be afraid to govern fairly, for the better good, instead of following "populist" approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The PBPA alliance in Dun Laoghaire are still getting it wrong on the 7 spine from the DART Station. It will go as far as Charlestown SC in Finglas; not bloody Merrion Square. For goodness sake; will they ever get their facts rights when making a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

im on what will be the 16 route on marian road rathfarnham. I want to get to the airport so i will change at college green to an a2.
    now as i understand it this will cost me 2.90, but what if the journey takes longer than 90 mins? (which i presume it will). will it be 2x 2.90?
    also under the proposed plan for the quays, are the the a and d spine busses crossing onto the quays using grattan bridge?
    Do the a busses then go up the quays swing left up gardiner street and then out the n1 towards the airport? (well the a2 towards the airport anyway)
    Will the quays end up with cars banned entirely as part of bus connects or is that dcc remit?
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is a good question, but as I understand it, providing you make the change within 90 minutes, you will probably be alright, you certainly would be in practice.

It is a good point and worth raising in the consultations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

tom1ie wrote: »
    im on what will be the 16 route on marian road rathfarnham. I want to get to the airport so i will change at college green to an a2.
    now as i understand it this will cost me 2.90, but what if the journey takes longer than 90 mins? (which i presume it will). will it be 2x 2.90?
    also under the proposed plan for the quays, are the the a and d spine busses crossing onto the quays using grattan bridge?
    Do the a busses then go up the quays swing left up gardiner street and then out the n1 towards the airport? (well the a2 towards the airport anyway)
    Will the quays end up with cars banned entirely as part of bus connects or is that dcc remit?
    thanks.

You only have to change within 90 minutes, not complete your journey. So if you got on the 16 at 12pm, then switched to the A2 at 1:29pm, you'd pay a single fare. If you switched to the A2 at 1:31pm, you'd pay two fares.

(I actually don't know how exactly strict the 90 minute thing is, maybe there's a couple of minutes grace period built in there, but the general point stands).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is what a spine design looks like from the NTA. This looks excellent.

A-spine-1.jpg

https://humantransit.org/2018/09/dublin-what-is-a-spine.html

MJohnston wrote: »
    You only have to change within 90 minutes, not complete your journey. So if you got on the 16 at 12pm, then switched to the A2 at 1:29pm, you'd pay a single fare. If you switched to the A2 at 1:31pm, you'd pay two fares.

(I actually don't know how exactly strict the 90 minute thing is, maybe there's a couple of minutes grace period built in there, but the general point stands).

well if this is the case it certainly means i wont be driving or getting a taxi to the airport anymore. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

thanks.

Yeah, heading north the A spine is down parliament street, across Grattan Bridge, right turn onto Bachelors Walk, left onto Gardiner Street, right onto Dorset Street and then straight out the Drumcondra Road.

https://busconnects.ie/media/1242/map7-proposed-network_dublin_city_centre.pdf

The D's follow the same over the river, up the quays and go up Amiens St and North Strand

A-spine-1.jpg

thats impressive. very easy to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Actually a graphic designer put them together himself - really impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

well if this is the case it certainly means i wont be driving or getting a taxi to the airport anymore. Excellent.

You could change at Rathgar/Terenue anyway if you were worried about doing the change within 90 minutes as the routes cross.

461849.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's the way that the Leap 90 discount works at the minute, and the way that the Luas > Luas transfer fare works too, so I am as confident as I can be that it will also be the way this new flat-fare will work.

There probably won't be exit validators for Leap cards on buses, even under BusConnects, so there would be no way to track how long your start-to-end journey took anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

A-spine-1.jpg

missing the "O" interchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

**Notice: Not all stops shown. Only spine Buses, Train and Luas interchanges present. Other interchanges not present.**

The O route isn't one of the 7 spines, it is classed as an orbital route.

Spines are frequent routes across the core, Orbitals run perpendicular to the spines outside of the city centre.

Advertisement