Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Is it worth spending the extra 3k for the Platinum trim? Not a lot of differences really. You get powered "leather" seats, auto dim rear view mirror, a "seamless horizon lamp" (whatever that is), HUD, Blind spot monitoring and collision monitoring. I thought some of the safety tech was mandatory but any blind spot items must not be included.

There is also an in cabin camera system as standard across the trim levels. Other than using it to check on a small child in the rear of the car, I can't think of anything else you would use it for. 🙂

I still like the new design though. Looks better than the old Kona and the size increase will be welcome. The old Kona always felt cramped and a little low rent for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Do those prices include the grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭fafy

They always quote after grants & vrt have been taken off, and exclude delivery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

The parallel page for the current Kona EV is explicit about quoting after grant prices and the worked PCP examples both go from the quoted price to euro payments (although that was only valid to Sep 30th) so it's probably safe to assume the prices won't change and are intended to be after the grant (but no longer topping up the grant to 5000, as they did in the summer, although one could argue that was more an end-of-line discount).

I'd expect the page to update saying this pretty soon.

Differences in the specs mean the middle model is now "big battery, lower trim" where it was "small battery, higher trim". Also, some of the increase in quoted range across the models is just from fitting bigger batteries at each level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Does the new model still lack adaptive cruise control?

• Advertisement

Not sure how retailers are doing the sums in the new Kona EV 65 Platinum,

listed as 43,995 on Hyundai’s website:

But dealers are pricing it at between 46.400 & €46,995.

This one is €2.405 more than the RRP, could be a metallic option included in there, but it sounds an excessive add on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

How did you find out it needed to be done? who did you contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

At that rate, buy an Ioniq5 or go for a KIA Niro EV! The Kona is no way a 46k car.

Tbf not only is that the top spec new Kona EV price, there is a lesser spec for 3k less with the larger battery, the New Kona EV is also way bigger than the old one, wider and longer, now its quite similar to the ENiro, in size, boot size is just a tiny bit smaller then the E Niro, the new Kona is about 30% bigger than the old model, has the V2L 3 pin plug in the back, interior also got a significant upgrade, probably putting it ahead of the E Niro, it has also just passed out the E niro in range, and the cheapest larger battery Kona EV variant. is less than the entry level E Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

It's hard to know as the spec sheet only lists "Cruise Control - Conventional" on both trims, but both also have Highway Drive Assist which is described as "HDA uses the information from the forward-facing camera and radar sensor as well as the navigation data to control the speed, direction, and following distance of the vehicle.", of which adaptive cruise control would seem to be part and parcel......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Also, why the hell is it FWD if it's now using a platform that has be primarily designed for EV?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

EV platforms are not exclusively RWD, tends to be manufacturers that determine choice of RWD rather than EV/ICE "format"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Any way to confirm if a Kona is part of the recall and if it has had the battery replaced - without contacting a dealer? e.g. if I had a VIN could I look it up somewhere?

Contemplating getting a Kona at some point within the next 9-12 months, probably a 2020 refresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

Ordered one on Saturday. Very impressed with the drive, look & finish. Plenty of toys. My first ever new car in Jan ‘24. As previously said, a good bit bigger (boot) than the existing model and nicer lines. Still deciding on colour but favouring atlas white with black leather.

May i ask what the pricing was, before a trade in is involved, as i see dealers on done deal charging over €2,400 above the Hyundai, RRP prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

RRP prices don't include delivery, metallic or paint protection (which is a rip off and I strongly advise against it)

No worries, I opted for the Atlas White / black leather / platinum - €46,495 before the grant.

10k deposit / trade plus 36 x €580 plus €14k after the instalments.

5yr unlimited mileage + 8yr battery warranty.

I was quering how the RRP of a Platinum 65, went from €43,995 on the Hyundai website, to the final price of €46,495, which is after Grants, unless delivery + metallic makes up the €2,500 difference

Post edited by fafy on

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭derekreilly

I can confirm the Platinum trim has HDA (Highway Driving Assist) which has adaptive cruise control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What is it with Hyundai and there logo lately? It always looks like an afterthought. Just look at the current Tucson and where it is on the back. It's like they had it all designed then went sh-it the logo where will we put it I know let's stick it in the window above the lights. Just looks crap and now on the Kona at the front again it's like they went sh-it the logo where will we stick it I know just put it there on the bonnet just over that cheap looking light strip looking up the Sky as if that does not look like an afterthought. Surely under it on the angle or better yet on the flat above the reg plate would have been a better place for the logo? They have done away with it inside there cars altogether well the electric ones anyway which is strange.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Back is fine. Cannot see the issue with front location either. You suggested slapping it in the middle of the front bumper over the number plate ? Now that’d really look daft IMO

Ms

Ye where it is on the back of the new Kona is good but I still think it looks a bit lost on the front.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I have my Kona in for a service. As usual 60% of the cost is made up of wipers and filters. 🙄

Ms

This to me looks much better. The logo/badge is in the right place there.v Much better than where it is on the Kona in my opinion.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

From this thread

Kona May 2018 to March 2020 (this may be off and may be factory manufacture dates to not Irish registration dates)

You would need to contact Hyundai Ireland to confirm if it has been replaced. I would prefer a car where it was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭obi604

In regard to a 2019 Kona electric vehicle with 64 battery.

I am hearing the back seat is fairly small. I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old and they simply use booster type seats.

Are the back seats ok for an 8 and 10 year old or still a bit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭spakman

fine for that age, but once they take the teenage stretch, it will quickly get tight

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Basilio

Warning to all 2019-2020 Kona owners who are currently selling there vehicles privately.

<<mod snip>> there's a buyer out there will waist your time like nobody else. Hi is on the market for 64kWh Kona and contacted every owner who is selling at the moment. Worst experience in my life. Maybe it just me, sorry if I am wrong.

Post edited by liamog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭spakman

Yeah he was in touch with me. Assumed it was a scam so didn't engage too much and he seemed to move on.

Post edited by liamog on

Advertisement