Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Any word yet on whether the new Kona will be based on E-GMP like the Ioniq 5 or is it just a reskin?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Dear God that is bland. Is this made by the same company that makes the Ioniq 5? It couldn't be!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

According to that video they're also bringing out ICE and (P)HEV versions, so probably not I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭eagerv

I don't like the way they are making cars less and less pedestrian friendly. Looks like a snow plough..🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Darn, Kona with 800V charging and V2L would be a definite winner

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭spakman

Also said it was designed as EV first, then adapted for ICE, rather than the other way around as was the case with original Kona EV.

Also said the new Kona will be similar size to tuscon so much bigger than original as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Question for the experts here, my mother has a 2022 Kona 64kWh, charged to 100% overnight last night ahead of a long journey today and it's dead as a doornail now. She can't unlock it via fob or the emergency key therein, and it doesn't respond to the app. Atypically, the car unlocked the charge cable at some point overnight where it would usually be secured until she unlocked this AM.

AA are on the way out and I've suggested she call the dealer too once they're open, but a part of me thinks this sounds like an issue described previously in older models that was linked to dodgy traction batteries that should not be present in a 2022 (face-lift) model. As far as I recall that issue, when encountered in the earlier builds, required the car to be lifted and a decent chunk of work under warranty?

Anyone able to offer any suggestions/insight/corrections/hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Are you sure it's not just a dead 12v battery? That's what it sounds like to me.

Maybe it is, and the more I think about the skeleton key the more I wonder if there's some user error (I'm 90 mins drive away) as I'd expect that to be mechanical, but it was charging from mains last night, and the current model is supposed to have a feature to keep the 12V topped off from the main battery, which is indicated as working when the LED in the badge pulses green.

Yes, it does, here's mind charging from midnight last night while I monitored the 12v.

You're right about the skeleton key, I had forgotten about that. Let me do a test here with one and get back to you.

• Advertisement

Yes, skeleton key is mechanical (as you would expect), one turn anti-clockwise opened the car for me.

Thanks for that. The AA have since arrived and "got the key to work" (less said the better, I'll put it down to being flustered!).

I've a Niro myself and thought I could feel a mechanical element (albeit clockwise) with the skeleton key, but the central locking immediately engaged so it was hard to be sure.

Nail on the head here, AA diagnosed a faulty 12V, unable to hold a charge, so the on-board system wouldn't have been able to do jack to keep it topped off at that point. Not ideal after scarcely more than a year, but faulty is faulty.

Thanks for providing a sounding board and checking out the skeleton key. 🙂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

why virtually all car EV manufactures use lead-acid is beyond me when they have so much lithium based battery technology literally feet away

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 candykisses

I have a 182 Kona petrol and recently I notice a kind of clunk sound when I turn the steering wheel to the left going around a corner .

Anybody else have a similar problem and if so did you find out what it is .

I've been meaning to ask if anyone with an electric Kona has noticed a noise from what seems to be the motor? can hear it kind of ticking/knocking at slow speeds, but it's actually quite loud when you get over 100kmh.

Been meaning to bring it in to dealer but I reckon they'll say there's nothing wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Watch out for that & do not let the dealer fob you off. Hopefully its nothing but saying that, it could actually be a significant issue.

I'm no expert but worst case scenario if you read up or search for Kona or eNiro (models between approx 2018 and 2020 or maybe even 2021) with knocking sounds, reveals that other owners have had to have their whole motor replaced & / or their GRU (Gear Reduction Unit). This would cost thousands outside warranty.

Owners worldwide, not just Ireland, have been reporting this issue (knocking sound) for a couple of years since 2018 & Hyundai Ireland only issued a technical service bulletin acknowledging the problem in approx May 2022. Kia also issued a similar technical service bulletin as the e-Niro & Kona effectively share the same drive train platform.

The TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) advises that when the car is left in to be checked that the garage support team follow a specified flowchart to help diagnose / resolve the problem & identify the root cause of the knocking. The first thing they do is just tighten the mounts (or replace them) on the motor / GRU to see if that solves the issue. In some cases it does but then the problem seems to come back at a later stage.

Then they have to remove the GRU (Gearbox) from the car, put it on a bench, effectively attach a drill to it & get it to rotate (like as if it would when it was in the car & the car accelerated) to see if they can hear & home in on the knocking sound.

So various other Kona & eNiro users across the world have reported that they have had their Motor or GRU or both replaced.

I've attached the Hyundai TSB in case it helps you (I do not work in the motor trade, do not work for Hyundai & I'm not an expert, just done lots of digging & educated myself etc..).

Hope this helps

Wow, thanks a million. I'm going to book it in ASAP and reference that technical bulletin so they can't bullshit me.

It's a 2019 kona, so better get this sorted before warranty expires!

No probs, you're welcome.

Hope you get sorted.

Here is the Kia TSB for the e-Niro (for the same issue).

Have a look at this TSB as there are some embedded links that you can click & listen to audio recordings that Kia have on record of the knocking sound etc..

• Advertisement

Thanks again - mine isn't as bad as those two recordings. In fact, mine is more like the 'normal' recording, but it definitely didn't make as much noise previously so I've booked it in anyway.

Owners that have previously had this problem all were pretty much the same in that they reported their cars did not make any significant noise (apart from the normal electrical motor whine to the expected) when they initially had them - but seemed to start around the 12 to 30 months ownership timeframe. Sone were low mileage others were high mileage. No direct link to a specific mileage. Their knocking noise started with a lower volume & sometimes intermittent knocking noise that seemed to be frequency or speed related (frequency of wheel or drive shaft rotation etc..). Some owners said that the sound would disappear for a while & then come back for no reason (their driving habits could not be attributed to the cause of intermittency). Other owners who had had their GRU replaced noticed the sound went way but returned months later & they then had to have their main drive motor replaced.

Here is another forum & thread where owners are discussing their knocking sound issues so you can get context..

Brought mine out for a spin again to make sure I'm not imaging it!

Definitely a ticking/rumbling when driving around 15km/h.

Don't really notice it too much then til it gets up towards 100km/h and it's quite loud motor noise then

Its known unofficially as a 'Wheel of Fortune' type ticking noise - generally quite / most noticeable between about 5km/h to 18km/h ut has been reported a loud at high speed (maybe over 80 km/h).

So, again I'm hoping your car is ok, but wouldn't be surprised if its exhibiting the issues mentioned above as quite a number of owners have had it at this stage & its officially recognized by both Kia & Hyundai now.

You should be in a good & strong position (in terms of your knowledge / awareness of the issue now & the car being in warranty). Definitely do not let the garage / dealer push you away or stall you to run out the warranty. I know of at least one Irish Hyundai dealer repeatedly pushed a 2019 Kona owner away about this knocking noise over an 18 month period until that owner became aware of the issue & TSB & then confronted the dealer who was forced to act & ended up replacing the whole drive motor under warranty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So folks, anyone Kona64 owners still awaiting battery replacement, am leaving it to the last possible moment before getting my new battery?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Nope, not that I know of. I thought I was a late hold-out, but we had ours done ~this time last year I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Got mine done about 6 months ago as well. Was afraid they'd change their mind about replacing the battery again 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Lads what's the actual service interval on the Kona? My sister is saying it's due at 15k, it's at 12k after 6 months already. I know servicing on EVs is a bit BS...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭innrain

15k km or a year whichever comes first. That's if you want to maintain the warranty

Advertisement