Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you pull off that EV cover (held in by four rubber grommets, pull straight-up) you can then take out the 'spare' foam tray from the boot and insert it into the engine-bay thereby freeing-up the bottom of the boot for more stuff.

As for that 12v battery - watch out for it getting run-down by leaving the car doors open or by running the radio when the main traction battery is off. It only lasted 2 years and 2 mths in my case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I put a homemade frunk in, should be a post from around May 21

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Here you go, still in place, only take it out for Service/NCT

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Excellent, that's what I'm looking for…

beofre their trip up yesterday she told me she was taking out the insert under the boot floor to get more space (2 adults, 2 kids & a dog), so something like this for the cables and compressor/puncture kit to live would be ideal…

oh and by the way, they did Waterford (Passage East) to Dublin (Artane) yesterday, so 191km and only used 47% battery, and they weren't sparing the speed or comfort either… so should comfortably do the return trip at the moment for them… thats fantastic range…

ours still gets over 400km range and have not had the battery replaced yet (recall), the frunk can fit Granny and Public charging cable and some other bits and bobs no problem

• Advertisement

Had a little spin in the Kona earlier today (first EV I ever drove too that wasn't a Tesla).

Its a fantastic car/ really really nice interior, albeit a bit cramped in the back (though I fully expected that), still really nice car and I was very impressed by it.

They absolutely love it, and are already EV converts for good.. Brother in law is already eyeing up upgrading to an Ioniq5 in a year…

First thing I did when I got in was show them that 'left paddle wheel to stop' trick and they were delighted with it!! (so kudos to whoever posted that above), then brought my sister up to the local eCars AC for her first public charge.. (appeared to be pulling 6.5kW as shown on the dash (any way for the app to display charging speed?)

I thought theirs was the new model, but it's actually just a facelift version right? as today I noticed an even newer looking Kona!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, great little car, I was very impressed many moons ago when I tested one shortly after initial release. I think the newest version is a good bit bigger, but have yet to see one close up.

We had paddles on our classic Ioniq and our present Ioniq 5, but to be honest rarely used them. I think the missus likes the auto regen now. Just find a regen you are comfortable with, even zero is fine. They coast really well, probably the most efficient if the driver is someone who often lifts off on accelerator when not required, eg a gentle bend.

The brakes also have regen on them, so friction brakes do not apply unless braking quite heavily. Personally, I now prefer the Tesla one pedal set up, but took a little while to get used to it.

She will soon work out which is best for her, there is no right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of frunk, there is an official/custom one, but I could not justify the price. They are based in Ireland. Make sure it's for the right model of Kona. On some cars they fit hydraulic springs to keep bonnet open to prevent having to use the bonnet holding up bar. I am not sure if that Kona has hold up springs like most boots.

https://www.evaccessoriesireland.com/product-page/hyundai-kona-front-storage-box

€175!!! Think mine was about €8 with just the cost of biggest plastic tub I could get to max space.

I have no negatives on Kona, range beast and you know going in on the small boot and lack of ACC or App

They weren't overly keen when I showed them your solution… worried about warranty/damage etc… so I'll leave them be for a while until they get used to the car, and then go again as thats a handy little bit of space under the floor in the boot, and as they have a dog and 2 kids, it would make sense for the cables to permanently live under the bonnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭insular1

If buying a Kona that has had battery replaced under the recall does the battery warranty now start from the mileage and time when the new battery was installed or is it still the original warranty period?

I would say original warranty applies. The good news is the battery is brand new so likely to last longer. The known issue with the old batch is gone too so better design.

I have one of the first Konas on original battery, a 191, checked the SOH last night at just shy of 100,000kms it's 96.4%

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭insular1

Thanks. You are right, original warranty applies, just had it confirmed by Hyundai Ireland. Still nice to have a new battery in it. @slave1 what do you use to check the SOH? Really tempted to get one of these this summer as they are starting to show up around the 15K mark now, but my head says an ioniq is the safer bet and a little cheaper. The Konas I have seen though are lovely cars and the extra range is always nice even if I'd rarely use it.

To measure state of health use an odb adapter. Konweii is brand I used on kia/Hyundai and soul EV spy app works for Kona too. That's with an android phone.

OBD port just below steering wheel to the right slightly, and EVNotify free App, will give you SOH, lifetime kHh/100km, lifetime energy charged/discharged and a few other bits and bobs

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭al2009

I shelled out for a frunk from Germany, mainly because of the hydralic struts for keeping bonnet up. No recall for battery on my 191 either @slave1 , contacted Hyundai when i bought it second hand and they confirmed it wasn't due. Absolutely love the car, so efficient and comfortable.

glad you’re liking the car but for clarity there is a recall on that battery, your car may not be queued up soon but all 191 64kWh are entitled to new HV battery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I think there were a small amount fitted with an different manufacturer's battery and were not included in the recall. 191 reg's ring a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭al2009

Thought that myself, hence asking them, they confirmed no recall, garage have also confirmed it.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected so, ours is on recall but pushing it out. The garage get their info from Hyundai head office so will always be in agreement

Advertisement