Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd love to know if there is battery degradation but the garage don't seem to understand what I'm asking. I kept asking them to get a readout and they kept giving me the 12v battery readout. 5 times. So I'll get an ODB2 dongle and find out myself sometime. Forums say that it's not a problem so I'm not too concerned, just curious.

It's my local dealer that's the let-down here too. If you have a problem that they don't (want to) understand then it's like talking to the wall. I've posted here in the past how EVERY small issue we had was blamed on the "traction battery" being part of the recall. Stupid things like broken buttons - "oh that could be because the battery's being recalled". I swear. I actually gave up and waited for the traction battery to be replaced, then went back down with a laundry list of broken stuff, amazingly still broken. Eventually got them all ticked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Was having a browse in the North. Because the last service was in February 2023, would that void the warranty?

I still need to check how much it would cost to register in the the 26 counties

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2022-Hyundai-Kona-150kW-Ultimate-64kWh-5dr-Auto-340224362?make=9&model=0&keywords=&fuel_type=13&trans_type=0&age_from=2022&age_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=0&user_type=0&mileage_to=0&body_style=0&location%5B%5D=0&location%5B%5D=0&homepage_search_attr=1&tab_id=0&search_type=1#&gid=1&pid=12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The wording in the ioniq 38 manual is:

"you are not covered if the defects are judged as being caused by the
    failure to follow the requirements of routine maintenance and
    service..."

Assuming the Kona has something similar. So unless there is a warranty claim between now and when you got it serviced next (basically asap), probably should be fine.

I'd have a couple of questions about the car though

The seller seems to be a repair place so has the car been crashed?

The car did 10k miles in its first 6 months, and then only did 6k miles in the next 12 months, and according the ad already has 2 previous owners, moving onto a third owner after 18 months seems like a lot to me!

You'd have to double check the revenue website, but it should essentially be free to bring in (€11.20 for tyre recyciling fee). It's a NI reg, the service is from a NI dealer, so it's clearly a NI car, so no vat should be owed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Thanks for the reply.

I saw that it was crashed alright, but I see now that it was "category s", which means it had structural damage.

So I suppose that's risky

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭insular1

Thinking of picking up an Ioniq 28 in the next couple of months but noticed for not much more I could get a Kona with a decent bit more range. Reading this thread has made me a bit wary however as they seem to have a lot of potentially expensive issues.

Even looking at the cars for sale a good number seem to be advertised as having the motor replaced.

Looking for opinions. Realistically I would only need the extra range of the Kona about 4 times a year and the ioniq 28 seems to have very few issues. What would people go for if the price difference was around 5k?

Also for those who'd prefer the Kona would it be a pro or a con if the motor had been replaced due to the known knocking issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

In some cases it has not been sufficient that the motor on its own was replaced. The knocking came back months later for some & then the GRU also had to be replaced (Gear Reduction Unit - like a gearbox). Very expensive outside of warranty. Some owners had both the GRU & Motor replaced at the same time. Initially dealers did not accept there was an issue at all, saying the knocking sound was normal. However Kia was first to officially recognize the issue for the e-Niro & released a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for their dealerships / technical teams. Hyundai took nearly an additional 12 months before they accepted there was an issue & released their TSB - even though both cars have an almost identical platform for their motor, drivetrain etc..Not sure if that would be a permanent fix though, or whether in a few years the issue may happen again - time will tell for owners. Maybe just some bad batches of Kona Electrics initially (but users have been affected in USA, Ireland, UK so the knocking issue must have been reasonably widespread). Note - there are lots of very happy Kona Electric owners & the Kona is a lovely small car. Just be aware of the issue etc..

Thanks. Yeah I think I'll go for the ioniq. I'm too risk averse and don't really need the range. But I'm in no rush anyway so will keep an open mind until the time comes to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of size Kona is probably smaller than ioniq. Ioniq standard spec is higher than typical Irish Kona.

The 60+kWh battery is great to avoid public charging for 99% of trips. Public chargers can be busy, blocked or broken especially at peak times.

If you get an ioniq 28kWh for say 11k it may make more sense than say 19k Kona. Either way just be sure to not overpay as depreciation will be highest cost.

The ioniq 28kWh can give some issues too, be sure to change "gearbox" oil as soon as you get the car. This can help prevent trouble later.

Thanks. There are a few roughly 10k ioniqs for sale and a few 15-16k Kona. If the Kona didn't have the potentially expensive motor issue I'd probably go for it, but as this will be our first full EV and it has taken a lot of convincing of my better half, who has fallen prey to the negative media hype around EVs at present, I want this to be as hassle free as possible. The ioniq seems to have less issues so safer bet in the short term. We have an Outlander PHEV for the main family car so range isn't really an issue, max distance the ioniq is likely to see in a day is 120km and once everyone has fallen in love with EV driving we can upgrade to a full EV family. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

Hi lads,

I have a 2019 Kona EV with a bit of an issue. I unticked the daylight savings time in clock settings the night before the change to summer time. The next day the clock became unavailable, just a blank time on the display. I am now unable to use scheduled charging as the car no longer keeps the time. The clock and charging schedule are both greyed out, with no option to change the setting. I have reset everything I can, and disconnected the 12v battery to no avail.

From what I can read online, this seems to be a GPS signal issue. It's just strange that it just happened right after unchecking the daylight savings time option. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? Right now I am stuck with manually plugging in the car at 2AM, and disconnecting at 6AM using the charging schedule bypass button. Not ideal :)

• Advertisement

Hi! GPS on a 2019 Kona… does it have such a thing? I thought that the 2019 only had Android Auto and that the onboard maps and such only came in ~2021? If you have a kink to the article, I'll have a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Surely it has to have GPS for navigation?

Edit: Seems to rely on your phone being plugged in if I'm reading it right. That's a bit weird.

If you have a navigation system on natively on the car then it has a GPS. If you don't then the GPS comes from the attached phone. Plus if you have GPS then it's not likely that you need to set the time and I would think that daylight saving should be automatic. But I could be wrong on whether 2019 Kona's have GPS/Nav… Mine from August 2019 doesn't.

From a vehicle manufacturer's point of view in 2019, that's ideal for keeping cost down as the tricky tech hardware is offloaded to the phone. Now it's much simpler to integrate systems into the dash.

Yeah, you are right. It only has android auto. But it does have a GPS for the time, and also for calculating distance travelled on your recent trips (All of my recent trips only show "no gps data" at the moment). I really don't care about the time as such, but it prevents me accessing the charge schedule. It's booked in for a service in May, so hopefully they can sort it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This sounds strange. GPS stands for Global Positioning System. Not aware of GPS that doesn't fix location. But it may be that the GPS doesn't integrate with the nav system (bonkers but whatever), so your issue may be that the car's location and the time zone are not matching up, so it's in sulk mode. This would kind of tally with what you found on the net.

Just guessing obviously.

Can you set a time schedule on the wall charger itself rather than the car?

Is car under warranty if so ask manufacturer to fix it for free.

My wall charger is one of the original ESB units installed in 2015, so no option to set a timer on that. Also the car is stuck on "waiting for scheduled charge time", so it wouldn't work anyway.

The car is in Warranty for another 2 months. Hopefully the dealer can fix it.

Saw this today

Have you a Hyundai kona kia Niro EV making this sound when accelerating or under regenerative braking.

Good news we’ve now sourced parts to successfully repair this without having to change full reduction boxes or motors.

Contact us on 0402-39766 if you need any more information

Video on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/LoK196NQYr2J66Ri/

#arklow #evrepairs #electriccars #johnearlsmotors

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hello,

My sister picked up a 2022 64kWh Kona premium yesterday. It's her first EV so I've been guiding her through the various terminology and giving her tips and tricks on how to seamlessly transition from ICE to EV..

She hasn't really had a proper chance to have a look through it's settings etc yet… but 1 question she had this morning (and I had also) is the range is currently displaying in km.. is there any way to change this to percentage % ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

Not really, At least not on the 2019 one I have. Is something which bugs me. Telling me I have 400km left doesn't help. What I do I press Home→ EV and there you can see the status in %

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

Can you take some pictures of the unit? Is it an import? Original Irish 2019 Konas were as dumb as my old 06 wagon. I understand you've tried the hard reset but it is worth asking did you try the soft reset as well? I agree with @10-10-20 it shouldn't be GPS on these units. Try to stick an odb dongle and do a scan maybe you can get more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

The percentage is displayed on the entertainment unit on the map screen on a pop out menu on the right hand side

You can leave it up there permanently if you like

Another question (after a chat there with my sister)..

Regen, she said there are 3 levels? she described regen happening (car slowing despite going down a hill when lifting off) in level 2 (eco?), so would I be right in thinking that level 3 would be even stronger regen level?

Also does the Kona do 1 pedal driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Level 3 is close to one pedal but not fully. I keep it on level 2 most of time. I find that not too sharp decelerating but reduces the amount of braking I have to do by large amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭spakman

Level 3 way too strong for my liking - every time u take your foot off is like someone pressing fairly hard on the brakes.

I use level 1 and then use the padel behind the steering wheel as much as possible when I need to slow down. You can get quite good at avoiding the brake pedal!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Level 3 is its strongest setting

I usually leave mine in level 3 for driving around town but it is personal preference and what you get used too

It doesn't do 1 pedal unfortunately but they do refer to it doing 1 Paddle

Basically if you pull the left (I think, I don't really use it) paddle towards you when you are slowing down it will bring the car to a halt and I think hold the car (not sure as I usually have Auto hold turned on)

Also if you prefer one of the regen settings you can default it for all driving modes, I have level 3 defaulted for all driving modes, it is buried in a menu setting somewhere

There's a user-defined button on the right of the display, it's the star. You can set it to bring up the battery state in the setup options. Makes it handier for getting to see the %.

But no @AndyBoBandy, there isn't a way to have the % displayed instead of the km/GOM.

I use it on 3 during city and town driving, but I would have it on 2 for motorway or higher-speed driving.

We had an issue with the cruise-control where it was cutting out (faulty button) and if you had the regen set to 3 on a motorway when it decided to cut, you were effectively brake-checking any cars behind. So yeah, set it at what you're comfortable with.

• Advertisement

can a frunk box be added under the bonnet ?

Like in this photo;

My sister just sent me the below pic so it looks unlikely? Or would that cover just need to come off?

And cheers for all the tips lads, it’s their first EV and although I’m guiding them re charging etc… my only experience of EV’s is Tesla so I know nothing Kona specific… They absolutely love it so far and are coming up to Dublin (from Waterford) this weekend for a first proper spin in it. I can’t wait to have a good goo at it too as I’ve driven a few Hyundai ICE rentals over the last while, and they’re great cars… (except a manual i40 I had a few years back… horrible bite in the clutch… everything since has been auto).

Advertisement