Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2017-2018 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭young munsters man

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-richard-harris-patriot-games-1992-31044449.html

richard harris wearing a young munster tie in patriot games

http://www.dailyedge.ie/russell-crowe-munster-rugby-1393676-Apr2014/

russell crowe wearing one in proof of life

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Fixtures for the final round
    1A
    Clontarf v Cork Constitution, Garryowen v St Mary's, Lansdowne v Buccaneers, Terenure College v Dublin University, UCD v Young Munster
    1B
    Ballymena v Old Wesley, Ballynahinch v Old Belvedere, Banbridge v UL Bohs, Naas v Dolphin, Shannon v UCC
    2A
    Blackrock College v Highfield, Galwegians v Cashel, Greystones v Armagh, Malone v Nenagh, Queens v Corinthians
    2B
    City Of Derry v Wanderers, Navan v Belfast Harlequins, Old Crescent v Rainey Old Boys, Skerries v Dungannon, Sundays Well v MU Barnhall
    2C
    Bective Rangers v Malahide, Omagh v Bruff, Seapoint v Midleton, Sligo v Thomond, Tullamore v Bangor

No round robin this week. Sides either have week off or have cup games in their province.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Clontarf v Cork Constitution - Cons should win this even though Tarf are tough to beat at home
    Garryowen v St Mary's - Garryowen
    Lansdowne v Buccaneers - Lansdowne
    Terenure College v Dublin University - Terenure
    UCD v Young Munster - UCD

Ballymena v Old Wesley - Ballymena
    Ballynahinch v Old Belvedere - close but probably Ballynahinch
    Banbridge v UL Bohs - Banbridge
    Naas v Dolphin - Naas, tough spot to go and get a win
    Shannon v UCC - Shannon (fingers crossed but UCC have nothing to play for so hopefully should be good for home win)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

http://www.adnews.com.au/news/sponsors-and-fans-flock-to-club-rugby-following-miracle-turnaround

Reading about the Shute Shield in Australia. The broadcasting rights were apparently just bought by two fans, who had a bit of nous and decent dollop of luck and managed to increase attendances even in light of a collapse of Super Rugby.

Is there a model here for the AIL?

ironically mclove ye were playing ucc down in cork in the cup that day in 1996 when we hockeyed garryowen which won ye the league

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    http://www.adnews.com.au/news/sponsors-and-fans-flock-to-club-rugby-following-miracle-turnaround

Reading about the Shute Shield in Australia. The broadcasting rights were apparently just bought by two fans, who had a bit of nous and decent dollop of luck and managed to increase attendances even in light of a collapse of Super Rugby.

think myself do what scottish rugby does for club game and put match clips on youtube channel or irishrugby tv -use the clubs videos, and get each club to upload tries/scores etc

Not sure. The rights were bought for 1 million aussie dollars? Thats a few hundred thousand euro is it not? Yeah a lot of luck but how many people is there who would put up that much?
    We need to have IRFU incentivizing clubs to send their clips into them or a delegated group to cover games. RTE show no rugby now. Could IRFU not get RTE to show games even online only??
    You only have to look at discussion of the club game here and how few comment on the games and even fewer who regularly attend games.

think myself do what scottish rugby does for club game and put match clips on youtube channel or irishrugby tv -use the clubs videos, and get each club to upload tries/scores etc
    IRFU are trying to do that with tries of the month at least which is a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Not sure. The rights were bought for 1 million aussie dollars? Thats a few hundred thousand euro is it not? Yeah a lot of luck but how many people is there who would put up that much?
    We need to have IRFU incentivizing clubs to send their clips into them or a delegated group to cover games. RTE show no rugby now. Could IRFU not get RTE to show games even online only??
    You only have to look at discussion of the club game here and how few comment on the games and even fewer who regularly attend games.

I agree with you completely on this, I've no idea where the guys got the first million, that's 650k Euro. But the ARU is an absolute **** show, and it appears two men with full time jobs were able to do a much better job than them.

You're right though, the only AIL rugby I've ever watched was UCD games when I was a student. I always wished UCD would make a big deal about sports (America) style. That's neither here nor there, just thought that Shute story was fairly inspiring.

I agree with you completely on this, I've no idea where the guys got the first million, that's 650k Euro. But the ARU is an absolute **** show, and it appears two men with full time jobs were able to do a much better job than them.

You're right though, the only AIL rugby I've ever watched was UCD games when I was a student. I always wished UCD would make a big deal about sports (America) style. That's neither here nor there, just thought that Shute story was fairly inspiring.
    It is inspiring but you have to look at relevancy to here.
    Colleges make far bigger deal about GAA bar Trinity who do with Rugby.
    It does say a lot about ARU and shows how much trouble theyre in.

We have 000s of comments on schools rugby year on year but then people who play/support it dont follow on to the club game. Thats a major issue IRFU needs to sort out.

• Advertisement

Would Murray and Fordham come over here and try and revive the AIL? All they need is a big sponsor and they should be able do the same here. I would love to see the club game back close to where it once was. The story of the shute shield does sound a lot like the situation with the AIL
    ironically mclove ye were playing ucc down in cork in the cup that day in 1996 when we hockeyed garryowen which won ye the league

Beating Garryowen anytime and for a rival club to beat and win the league made it even more special. I wonder will Bohs beat Banbridge?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would Murray and Fordham come over here and try and revive the AIL? All they need is a big sponsor and they should be able do the same here. I would love to see the club game back close to where it once was. The story of the shute shield does sound a lot like the situation with the AIL
    Club game cant/wont go back close to where it was. Club game in its heyday was when the provinces rarely played/celtic league was only beginning.
    And we only have to look at Munster at different times and how crowds deserted Thomond Park....

A big sponsor wont help the AIL get crowds in. Lots of past pupils attend their schools cup games year on year but theyve no affiliation to a club or little affiliation. We need to build on the relationship people have with their schools in some areas and develop them with clubs.

Club game cant/wont go back close to where it was. Club game in its heyday was when the provinces rarely played/celtic league was only beginning.
    And we only have to look at Munster at different times and how crowds deserted Thomond Park....

A big sponsor wont help the AIL get crowds in. Lots of past pupils attend their schools cup games year on year but theyve no affiliation to a club or little affiliation. We need to build on the relationship people have with their schools in some areas and develop them with clubs.

But a big sponsor helped the lads in Australia to heavily promote the game week in week out. Club games in Limerick still could pull in the crowds if more was done to promote it. Imagine if lets YM and Shannon were in a final in the league, I'd think there'd be a sizeable attendance at that game.

But a big sponsor helped the lads in Australia to heavily promote the game week in week out. Club games in Limerick still could pull in the crowds if more was done to promote it. Imagine if lets YM and Shannon were in a final in the league, I'd think there'd be a sizeable attendance at that game.
    But thats a final a one off game.
    A sponsor would help with promotion but we can look before that and what clubs actually do themselves.

The GAA clubs put rugby clubs to shame in the main for how they promote their club games. And this is without talking about AIB and their promotion of the club championships at national level.
    Im talking about basics in terms of local papers, postering etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Stainalert wrote: »
    Lansdowne view here so obviously biased but I think we just about deserved it. YM had a couple of kickable penalties in the last few minutes but went for the corner both times as a draw in the general scheme of things was no use to them. We had the better start and got a couple of scores early on and then YM got back into their stride and struck back. YM played a great expansive style of rugby with some decent looking young backs and scored some nice tries as a result.

hope you enjoyed the occasion and that the ultras didnt give you too hard a time!!

noticed after game lansdowne players stayed on pitch in huddle, judging from reactions it meant a lot to them to win this -long time since lansdowne won here 1997 i think
    Yea lads were delighted to get the win - first down there since 2011. It wouldn't be Young Munster without the ultras!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

think myself do what scottish rugby does for club game and put match clips on youtube channel or irishrugby tv  -use the clubs videos, and get each club to upload tries/scores etc
    IRFU are trying to do that with tries of the month at least which is a start.
    IRFU are trying to do it and finding it difficult to get buy in from a number of the clubs apparently. Just look at what clubs are and are not sending in 'try of the month' contenders.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    IRFU are trying to do it and finding it difficult to get buy in from a number of the clubs apparently. Just look at what clubs are and are not sending in 'try of the month' contenders.
    Yeah and i dont see how IRFU can improve on it. Like how can IRFU get staff to send to games if clubs are not willing to promote themselves??

Yeah and i dont see how IRFU can improve on it. Like how can IRFU get staff to send to games if clubs are not willing to promote themselves??
    The IRFU didn't show any interest and that pissed people off. Now they are trying and it's like the clubs don't care... Would be great if both could work together positively at the same time.

The IRFU didn't show any interest and that pissed people off. Now they are trying and it's like the clubs don't care... Would be great if both could work together positively at the same time.
    It would but clubs need to lead things like this
    IRFU can do far better in some areas but so much marketing that can get people in the gates has to be driven by clubs. IRFU provide assistance with training in pr or whatever but clubs need to do the most of the work. Like IRFU can work with sponsors/national media for better radio/tv coverage and articles in the newspapers but cant be expected to get clubs doing more in local media or with postering etc.

A lot of the clubs are their own worst enemy though. A lot of the committees are ring fenced and have more of a senior representative rather than a youthful one. I can see why a lot of people have turned their backs on the clubs when they ticket gouge their own members i.e being charged 60 euro for a terrace ticket to a european cup game when the actual price the province was selling them for was 30.

Another club I know that one of the players was trying to bring in investment for the club but they refused it because he wasnt a member of the committee or a member of the club. It's all politics and its probably why the game is the way it is.

• Advertisement

A lot of the clubs are their own worst enemy though. A lot of the committees are ring fenced and have more of a senior representative rather than a youthful one. I can see why a lot of people have turned their backs on the clubs when they ticket gouge their own members i.e being charged 60 euro for a terrace ticket to a european cup game when the actual price the province was selling them for was 30.

Another club I know that one of the players was trying to bring in investment for the club but they refused it because he wasnt a member of the committee or a member of the club. It's all politics and its probably why the game is the way it is.
    Club committees arent ringfenced though will be dominated by older people but that is as much because people dont get involved when still playing in general/younger age.
    And clubs generally are not allowed to charge above going rate on tickets bar when theyre using it to raise money for clubs. And clubs want the power over the money being used in a club.... they dont want someone coming in and not being part of the committee. I wouldnt see anything wrong with a club saying no to someone offering money if they were not part of club/involved.

Doesn't the home team send in their video to the IRFU for referee assessment?

Club committees arent ringfenced though will be dominated by older people but that is as much because people dont get involved when still playing in general/younger age.
    And clubs generally are not allowed to charge above going rate on tickets bar when theyre using it to raise money for clubs. And clubs want the power over the money being used in a club.... they dont want someone coming in and not being part of the committee. I wouldnt see anything wrong with a club saying no to someone offering money if they were not part of club/involved.

Can you not see that charging double the price of the ticket as being morally wrong regardless of whether they are trying to raise money for the club, rumour has it they were left with a load of tickets because members wouldnt pay the price. They could have sold them at 30 or even 40 and got that money instead of clear ticket gouging

Shannon social media very good this season

Bordering on professional standard in fairness. Production quality is very good

Doesn't the home team send in their video to the IRFU for referee assessment?
    I don't think they always do - I'd imagine they'd also have to consent on it being used for anything else
    Agreed

Can you not see that charging double the price of the ticket as being morally wrong regardless of whether they are trying to raise money for the club, rumour has it they were left with a load of tickets because members wouldnt pay the price. They could have sold them at 30 or even 40 and got that money instead of clear ticket gouging
    I see how there will be issues and double face value is too much but a charge on tickets is ok if its shown that the money is being put back into the club.
    It is and they also have some very good practices around match days with the quality of their food offerings with russells bar/catering.
    I don't think they always do
    They dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

IRFU need to bring in season ticket options; 200 euro for the year and you get a card that gets you into AIL games for the whole season across all divisions. Clubs then divvy up the money, with the most obviously going to the clubs who buy the most season tickets. It'll get more people in the gate + increase interest in AIL rugby.

IRFU need to bring in season ticket options; 200 euro for the year and you get a card that gets you into AIL games for the whole season across all divisions. Clubs then divvy up the money, with the most obviously going to the clubs who buy the most season tickets. It'll get more people in the gate + increase interest in AIL rugby.
    Will it? Its a big might to say it would get more people in the gate but €200 to get into all games anywhere means less money for clubs than the current set up. Depending on the club it can be fiver/tenner per game. With 9 home games per club. €200 is only entrance for 20 games for an adult. Is that really better for the clubs??

• Advertisement

Results
    Div 1A:
    Clontarf 43 Cork Con 12, Garryowen 48 St Marys 21, Lansdowne 26 Buccaneers 17, Terenure 50 Dublin University 12, UCD 31 Young Munster 29
    Semi Finals will be Lansdowne v Garryowen, Terenure v Cork Con
    Buccaneers relegated to 1B. St Marys in playoffs.
    Div 1B:
    Ballymena 22 Old Wesley 21, Ballynahinch 13 Old Belvedere 16, Banbridge 32 UL Bohemian 30, Naas 33 Dolphin 17, Shannon 40 UCC 17
    Shannon champions. Banbridge 2nd. Ballynahinch 3rd. UCC 4th.
    Dolphin relegated. UL Bohs in playoffs
    Div 2A:
    Blackrock 25 Highfield 14, Galwegians 50 Cashel 15, Greystones 14 Armagh 24, Malone 43 Nenagh Ormond 19, Queens University 38 Corinthians 28
    Malone champions. Highfield 2nd, Armagh 3rd, Nenagh 4th.
    Corinthians relegated. Greystones in playoff

Div 2B:
    City of Derry 20 Wanderers 39, Navan 15 Belfast Harlequins 20, Old Crescent 28 Rainey Old Boys 8, Skerries 32 Dungannon 17, Sundays Well 22 Barnhall 22
    Old Crescent went unbeaten for season. Rainey 2nd, Barnhall 3rd and Navan 4th. Belfast Harlequins in playoff and City of Derry relegated

Div 2C:
    Bective Rangers 22 Malahide 22, Omagh 19 Bruff 14, Seapoint 16 Midleton 10, Sligo 37 Thomond 0, Tullamore 42 Bangor 12
    Sligo are champions after top of table clash.
    Omagh finish 2nd, Thomond 3rd and Malahide 4th.
    Bective were already relegated and Bruff are in the playoff with 2nd in the round robin

So next games are
    1A semi finals: Lansdowne v Garryowen, Terenure v Cork Con
    Playoffs for final 1A spot: St Marys v UCC, Banbridge v Ballynahinch

Playoffs for final 1B spot: UL Bohemians v Nenagh, Highfield v Armagh

Playoffs for final 2A spot: Greystones v Navan, Rainey Old Boys v Barnhall

Playoffs for final 2B spot: Belfast Harlequins v Omagh, Thomond v Malahide

Bruff will play 2nd in round robin for final spot in 2C

Advertisement