Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2017-2018 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah it is the same team usually. Maybe their version of J2 plays a different club but the 3 others play the same. Isnt the AIL being restructured into 2 divisions season after next? Div 1 and 2 and then Junior outside of that, 20 teams total.
    I dont think changing to that system is feasible for a lot of clubs in the country and it wouldnt be better for rugby standards anyway
    D14Rugby wrote: »
    Just wondering how they're a pain being on the Sunday? Is it just because it's a Sunday and people want the day off?
    I would assume as its a sunday and players want to be able to have a night out in the weekend and can do it with Saturday games. Also can be harder in some places to get people to play Sunday compared to a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

if the second round is on the 28th does that not clash with Ireland u-20's?
    I am assuming the clubs in the playoffs will have u-20 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would assume as its a sunday and players want to be able to have a night out in the weekend and can do it with Saturday games. Also can be harder in some places to get people to play Sunday compared to a Saturday.

Spot on.

As well, it's not nice having to go into work the morning after playing, 24 hours can make a big difference.

Sunday games are the devil. Burn them. We should use Sundays for underage rugby exclusively and embrace Friday Night Lights!

$ausage$ wrote: »
    if the second round is on the 28th does that not clash with Ireland u-20's?
    I am assuming the clubs in the playoffs will have u-20 players.
    No it wouldnt. April 28th wouldnt clash with 20s at all.
    Irish 20s will have camps but no more at this time. Warm up games then towards middle of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

ah i just thought I heard of a warm up game on the 28th weekend.

• Advertisement

Playoffs this weekend. Had nice long post previewing games but lost it so here's the fixtures....

1A/1B
    2pm St Marys v UCC
    2.30pm Banbridge v Ballynahinch
    1B/2A
    2.30pm UL Bohemians v Nenagh
    3pm Highfield v Armagh
    2A/2B
    2pm Greystones v Navan
    2.30pm Rainey Old Boys v Barnhall
    2B/2C
    2.30pm
    Belfast Harlequins v Malahide
    Omagh v Thomond

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Good preview on the Bateman Final by Irishrugby
    Live on RTE 2
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/ulsterbankleagueandcup/41819.php#.Wtm9yC7FLGg

Stainalert wrote: »
    Good preview on the Bateman Final by Irishrugby
    Live on RTE 2
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/ulsterbankleagueandcup/41819.php#.Wtm9yC7FLGg
    interesting to see list of clubs who've won the Bateman Cup.
    Cork Con 5
    Lansdowne 4
    Queens 3
    Bective Rangers 2
    Trinity, Instonians, Young Munster, North, UCC, UCD, Blackrock, St Marys, Bruff, Garryowen all with 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

interesting to see list of clubs who've won the Bateman Cup.
    Cork Con 5
    Lansdowne 4
    Queens 3
    Bective Rangers 2
    Trinity, Instonians, Young Munster, North, UCC, UCD, Blackrock, St Marys, Bruff, Garryowen all with 1.

You missing the All Ireland Cup that ran for a little while :cool:

Mc Love wrote: »
    You missing the All Ireland Cup that ran for a little while :cool:
    That wasnt the Bateman Cup so didnt for that reason..

But if you want the winners were: Cork Con x 2, Garryowen, Shannon, Ballynahinch

Would love to see that cup return.

• Advertisement

That wasnt the Bateman Cup so didnt for that reason..

But if you want the winners were: Cork Con x 2, Garryowen, Shannon, Ballynahinch

Would love to see that cup return.

I know not strictly Bateman per se but it did sub in for a few years until it returned. it was a good competition in fairness.

I know not strictly Bateman per se but it did sub in for a few years until it returned. it was a good competition in fairness.
    it didn't sub in though. Bateman existed pre world wars. Came back as a once off in 70s then the ail cup you mentioned was brought involving all senior clubs or top 16 based on top 4 from each province
    They then changed it to Bateman cup style
    Very different competitions but yes certainly excellent competitions and shame not covered more by media and supported by fans

Shocked that bohs are gone down. But I won't say they'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Playoffs this weekend. Had nice long post previewing games but lost it so here's the fixtures....

1A/1B
    2pm St Marys v UCC
    2.30pm Banbridge v Ballynahinch
    1B/2A
    2.30pm UL Bohemians v Nenagh
    3pm Highfield v Armagh
    2A/2B
    2pm Greystones v Navan
    2.30pm Rainey Old Boys v Barnhall
    2B/2C
    2.30pm
    Belfast Harlequins v Malahide
    Omagh v Thomond

Marys relegated- beaten 36 -24 by UCC at home-were 26 nil down at one stage-their JIs also relegated-not a good season. Will be interesting to see how and if they recover. Greystones also relegated beaten by Navan.

Shocked that bohs are gone down. But I won't say they'll be missed.
    what's that about other than a Shannon supporter possibly liking relegation of city rival..
    Marys relegated- beaten 36 -24 by UCC at home-were 26 nil down at one stage-their JIs also relegated-not a good season. Will be interesting to see how and if they recover. Greystones also relegated beaten by Navan.
    they'll recover. Greystones weren't the greatest even though they had some ok form in latter part of season - beating nenagh, narrow loss to highfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Marys are going to struggle now. Jack Aungier, Conor Dean, Caelan Doris etc will all leave and move to 1A. They'll need to rely on a lot of players staying on but there could be an exodus.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

in other divisions congratulations to shannon on winning leage a far cry from the poor start of last season. Already looking forward to the friday night derbies.

amazing bruff in relegation dogfight, they in lotta trouble now i saw them play thomond in january in thomond on a friday and they were good value for their win – at that stage they were in promotion contention, been in freefall since be a disaster for them if they go down hoping they stay up

Looks like they'll be up against Bandon. Should be a good game. Bandon would be a good addition to the division but Bruff would also be a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Bandon would be a good addition to the division but Bruff would also be a loss

Bruff at home. Those guys aren't going down without one hell of a fight . I expect them to stay in the division. They're a different animal at home.

What a Round Robin though both presumed weaker teams now odds on to make top 2. Potential for no Leinster rep in final 2 for nearly a decade.

Bruff at home. Those guys aren't going down without one hell of a fight . I expect them to stay in the division. They're a different animal at home.
    Very different. Never enjoyed playing there..
    What a Round Robin though both presumed weaker teams now odds on to make top 2. Potential for no Leinster rep in final 2 for nearly a decade.
    Yeah. Possibly about right that there isnt a Leinster rep there especially as nearly all those leinster sides won the round robin and went senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭young munsters man

https://twitter.com/DonnOSullivan/status/987709050958696449
    was at bohs v nenagh game - incredible end - clip is above
    hope nenagh go up now

didnt see that ucc v marys result coming

heartiest congratulations to lansdowne fine performance - really good side to watch

https://www.facebook.com/Banbridgerfc/videos/10155396173748038/
    clip here from banbridge v ballynahinch penalty try at end

• Advertisement

its the second last weekend of senior club games this season

Just 10 games left. 8 this weekend then the 1A final and the playoff between Bruff and round robin runner up.
    Games this weekend are
    1A semi finals
    Lansdowne v Garryowen at 2.30pm and Terenure v Cork Con at 3pm
    1A/1B decider
    Banbridge v UCC at 2.30pm
    1B/2A decider
    Armagh v Nenagh at 1.30pm
    2A/2B decider
    Rainey Old Boys v Navan at 2.30pm
    2B/2C decider
    Belfast Harlequins v Omagh at 2.30pm
    Round Robin final round
    Bandon v Instonians at 1.30pm
    Ashbourne v Ballina at 2.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Banbridge got quite a few academy boys? hoping their success is relatively sustainable. Great to see them doing so well, and as I'm hoping to be living in Ireland again next year, I'd love to watch an Ulster team in 1A.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭RuPi

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Banbridge got quite a few academy boys? hoping their success is relatively sustainable. Great to see them doing so well, and as I'm hoping to be living in Ireland again next year, I'd love to watch an Ulster team in 1A.

Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Caleb Montgomery, Greg Jones, Nick Timoney, Michael Lowry, James Hume and Rob Lyttle would be their contracted contingent.

Yeah theyve a handful of academy. It would be fantastic for everyone for an Ulster team in be in 1A.
    5 Dublin and 3 Limerick sides in top flight isnt great in some respects but plenty of derbies for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭young munsters man

firstly congratulations to all the semi finalists, think lansdowne will beat garryowen but garryowen will put it up to them big time, ive seen lot of garryowen this year - they good side, i want a garryowen win -luimneach abu!

cannot call other semi though con seem to be struggling a little and nure got serious momentum,not fussed over who wins, always want to see munster team winning but then again nure have never been to a final, nure seem to be making real effort to get a crowd charging 5er a head

Be great to see some coverage or clips of semis somewhere over next few days.
    All im hoping that all teams get to put out their full sides and we have none of last years disgracefulness.

im also hoping nenagh and ucc wins over the weekend, be delighted for ex munsters man ,be delighted for bowser ie cian bohane ex munster

to the supporters of each clubs, im envious to bit but enjoy the games ...well in such much as you can enjoy these games with the tension!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Ballina winners, Bandon runners up. Also, Bandon U18s just won the All Ireland club league. Would be some achievement to go to Senior for the first time ever on top of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Provincial Towns cup final on at the moment free to air on Bank of Ireland Facebook if anyone interested and also eir sport 1.

I know these teams are comprised of the top tier of the leinster league but just wondering what would the equivalent standard be to metro leagues for this? J1/2?

firstly congratulations to all the semi finalists, think lansdowne will beat garryowen but garryowen will put it up to them big time, ive seen lot of garryowen this year - they good side, i want a garryowen win -luimneach abu!

cannot call other semi though con seem to be struggling a little and nure got serious momentum,not fussed over who wins, always want to see munster team winning but then again nure have never been to a final, nure seem to be making real effort to get a crowd charging 5er a head

Be great to see some coverage or clips of semis somewhere over next few days.
    All im hoping that all teams get to put out their full sides and we have none of last years disgracefulness.

im also hoping nenagh and ucc wins over the weekend, be delighted for ex munsters man ,be delighted for bowser ie cian bohane ex munster

to the supporters of each clubs, im envious to bit but enjoy the games ...well in such much as you can enjoy these games with the tension!
    Can we move on from last year now? It happened. It shouldnt have to be brought up every year now or several times like you have been doing.

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Ballina winners, Bandon runners up. Also, Bandon U18s just won the All Ireland club league. Would be some achievement to go to Senior for the first time ever on top of that!
    Bandon 18s were very good side and would beat/compete with many schools side.
    Theyve got the right structures in place in both clubs. Ballina underage sides have been extremely good the past couple of seasons and theyre doing great work in the local schools with many of them doing well in the various levels of the schools competitions
    Provincial Towns cup final on at the moment free to air on Bank of Ireland Facebook if anyone interested and also eir sport 1.

I know these teams are comprised of the top tier of the leinster league but just wondering what would the equivalent standard be to metro leagues for this? J1/2?
    They're J1 and would be metro division 1/2 level

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Can we move on from last year now? It happened. It shouldnt have to be brought up every year now or several times like you have been doing.

Bandon 18s were very good side and would beat/compete with many schools side.
    Theyve got the right structures in place in both clubs. Ballina underage sides have been extremely good the past couple of seasons and theyre doing great work in the local schools with many of them doing well in the various levels of the schools competitions

They're J1 and would be metro division 1/2 level

More J2 than J1 I would say

• Advertisement

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    More J2 than J1 I would say
    Disagree completely. They would compete strongly in J1/Metro division1/2. DLSP who were near bottom of the Leinster j1 league division 1A got to final of metro cup this season and Ashbourne/Enniscorthy would do much better than them.

Advertisement