Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2017-2018 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Enniscorthy definitely wouldn't look out of place in J1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Thanks for that. Also does anyone know the qualification procedure to enter the cup? It's obviously non senior clubs and I thought it was non Dublin sides as DLSP and Monkstown didn't play however I see Clondalkin and Skerries played in the earlier rounds so I'm unsure of the process.

The game itself was good, Enniscorthy seemed more clinical and adapted well to the wind with the smart lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Thanks for that. Also does anyone know the qualification procedure to enter the cup? It's obviously non senior clubs and I thought it was non Dublin sides as DLSP and Monkstown didn't play however I see Clondalkin and Skerries played in the earlier rounds so I'm unsure of the process.

The game itself was good, Enniscorthy seemed more clinical and adapted well to the wind with the smart lineout.
    It was for clubs at least 18 miles from GPO so Skerries could compete and not sure on Clondalkin and why they can.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Enniscorthy definitely wouldn't look out of place in J1.
    When you say J1 what do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Disagree completely. They would compete strongly in J1/Metro division1/2. DLSP who were near bottom of the Leinster j1 league division 1A got to final of metro cup this season and Ashbourne/Enniscorthy would do much better than them.

Naas, Skerries maybe a few more play in Divison 2 of metro most 1a some 1b senior clubs would have a side in Division 1 of metro league. Neither Tullow nor Enniscorthy would compete with Terenure, Clontarf, Lansdowne, Belvo, Mary's, Barnhall or UCD J1 sides on a regular basis.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Naas, Skerries maybe a few more play in Divison 2 of metro most 1a some 1b senior clubs would have a side in Division 1 of metro league. Neither Tullow nor Enniscorthy would compete with Terenure, Clontarf, Lansdowne, Belvo, Mary's, Barnhall or UCD J1 sides on a regular basis.
    I disagree. Metro 1 is good standard but its still 2nds rugby even with all the sides being 1A/1B clubs and a top junior side would compete with them on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

I disagree. Metro 1 is good standard but its still 2nds rugby even with all the sides being 1A/1B clubs and a top junior side would compete with them on a regular basis.

No problem with you disagreeing but why do Naas, Skerries amongst others not compete at J1 level? they are their Towns Cup teams are they not they compete at J2 level. Happy to agree to dis agree but stand over my stance

No problem with you disagreeing but why do Naas, Skerries amongst others not compete at J1 level? they are their Towns Cup teams are they not they compete at J2 level. Happy to agree to dis agree but stand over my stance
    Naas 2nds finished 2nd in Metro 2(and won league final for promotion to metro1) and their towns cup team(that 2nds side) compete at J1 level as towns cup is a junior 1 competition....

Naas 2nds finished 2nd in Metro 2(and won league final for promotion to metro1) and their towns cup team(that 2nds side) compete at J1 level as towns cup is a junior 1 competition....

Just to avoid confusion then they would compete mostly at Division 2 metro then not Division 1. Their J1 side played in Division 2 many of the bigger metro clubs would have their J1s in Division 1 call the level what you like some sides have their J1 in even lower divisions in the metro.

Just to avoid confusion then they would compete mostly at Division 2 metro then not Division 1. Their J1 side played in Division 2 many of the bigger metro clubs would have their J1s in Division 1 call the level what you like some sides have their J1 in even lower divisions in the metro.
    And Naas 2nds went out in the first round of the PTC to Tullow.
    Their 2nds would be average to strong j1 side in the old set up but with only 8 sides per division its obviously much more limited.
    I just think you are very much underestimating the quality of junior rugby
    Considering Leinster junior clubs record in going senior the past few years

So all divisions decided now bar the final place in 2C
    1A
    Lansdowne, Cork Constitution, Terenure College, Garryowen, Clontarf, Young Munster, UCD, Dublin University, Shannon, UCC
    1B
    St. Mary's College, Buccaneers, Banbridge, Ballynahinch, Old Belvedere, Naas, Ballymena, Old Wesley, Malone, City of Armagh
    2A
    Dolphin, UL Bohemians, Nenagh Ormond, Highfield, Cashel, Queen's University, Blackrock College, Galwegians, Old Crescent, Navan
    2B
    Corinthians, Greystones, Rainey Old Boys, MU Barnhall, Wanderers, Sunday's Well, Skerries, Dungannon, Sligo, Belfast Harlequins
    2C
    City of Derry, Omagh, Thomond, Malahide, Midleton, Seapoint, Bangor, Tullamore, Ballina, Bruff or Bandon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Stevie777

Big changes in 1B.

Munster teams reduced from 4 to 0. Two promoted to 1A (Shannon & UCC) and two relegated to 2A (Dolphin & Bohs).

Ulster teams increased from 3 to 5 after Malone & Armagh promoted from 2A.

Stevie777 wrote: »
    Big changes in 1B.

Munster teams reduced from 4 to 0. Two promoted to 1A (Shannon & UCC) and two relegated to 2A (Dolphin & Bohs).

Ulster teams increased from 3 to 5 after Malone & Armagh promoted from 2A.
    Yeah. Will make it very likely that an Ulster side will be in 1A the following season which will be a great boost to the league and the province.
    2A very Munster dominated now and very expensive season for Queens with no local games at all with Navan the closest trip.
    Munster down to 0 in 1B is a pity but 5 in top flight is huge and great to see Munster clubs competing again.
    Nearly a decade since Limerick club has won the league. Would be nice to see that change

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭young munsters man

Nearly a decade since Limerick club has won the league. Would be nice to see that change

yeah it would be 10 years next year, however with the resources and the multitude of top quality players coming through the schools -that may not change for a while - but we will all keep trying

Can we move on from last year now? It happened. It shouldnt have to be brought up every year now or several times like you have been doing.

It happened but it should not have, and we as club rugby supporters need to remind the irfu of this abomination of a decision to ensure it never happens again.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/41908.php#.Wuwgf4gvy1s

highlights of ucc v banbridge - some result delighted for cian bohane aka bowser - some footwork for first try, he was brilliant for us last year and well liked within the club,

great for us to have 5 munster teams there now -reduces the travel time for the away days

is there any video clips of semi finals around lads ,

yeah it would be 10 years next year, however with the resources and the multitude of top quality players coming through the schools -that may not change for a while - but we will all keep trying
    it will. Things are looking up in limerick work wise so players who have left could go back working so that will help
    It happened but it should not have, and we as club rugby supporters need to remind the irfu of this abomination of a decision to ensure it never happens again.
    it happened but it doesn't have to keep on being brought up. Move on. Irfu have learned. That should be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Any chance of a stream for the final on Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

connachta wrote: »
    Any chance of a stream for the final on Sunday?

It’s on Rte 2 so I presume you’ll be able to get it on the player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Fairly tame try of the month competition this time round, Terenure one the clear winner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Fairly tame try of the month competition this time round, Terenure one the clear winner for me.

Yea agree Lansdowne try featured was from November!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

BDJW wrote: »
    It’s on Rte 2 so I presume you’ll be able to get it on the player

Wonder if we’ll get to hear Ryle Nugent do one final RTE commentary before his departure on 1st June?

Anyone watch on RTE?
    Lansdowne won 19-17
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixturesandresults/41953.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yeah I watched the final 60. Dooley was MOTM. Hope he comes to Connacht for Coulson...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LFCTID

Went to the game. Delighted we're winners specially been the inform team for most of the season. But infairness con but it up to us today. Dooley was outstanding and deserved MOTM eamonn mills and Scott deasy were excellent and lead from the front too I thought. Risky once niall keannelly made that break in the 2nd half thought he would put a teammate away for a try luckily nobody on his shoulder ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Anyone watch on RTE?
    Lansdowne won 19-17
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixturesandresults/41953.php

Watched it last night - a hard, tough final, fair dues to every player involved. Dooley was very good.

I'm not usually his biggest fan, but I thought that Dave Wilkinson reffed it very well.

congratulations to lansdowne and i hope ye enjoy/enjoyed the celebrations

- very good final, lansdowne remind me a bit of leinster, quality backs, backboned by one tough hard grizzled pack, and a really really good scrum, and they are very good to watch (against other teams)

looked like a small crowd which is a pity , but fair dues to lansdowne

and while im here good luck leinster on saturday, i suspect that lansdowne fans come end of may will be able to get the mother of all photo opportunities, bateman cup, leinster, UBL trophy plus champions cup and pro 14 trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

I used to go to the AIB League Div 1 and double headers with my old man in the old LR, what do people think is a good form of attracting the crowds back to AIL final? Maybe doing the double header again in Aviva? Or making it 5 euro entry for all. I suppose the good weather meant a lot of people did other things.

I used to go to the AIB League Div 1 and double headers with my old man in the old LR, what do people think is a good form of attracting the crowds back to AIL final? Maybe doing the double header again in Aviva? Or making it 5 euro entry for all. I suppose the good weather meant a lot of people did other things.
    What double headers are you referring to exactly?
    5 euro entry for all could help but it really helps if club led and clubs need the income from the entrance fee's and dropping entrance fee mightnt necessarily increase crowds... IRFU can provide 5 entry for all but clubs need to be in their communities getting people to attend/go to games and support the pre match dinners or whatever else.

AIL awards
    Ulster Bank League Division 1A Player of the Year
    Neil Cronin (Garryowen FC)
    Eamon Mills (Lansdowne FC)
    Adam Leavy (Lansdowne FC)
    Tomás Quinlan (Cork Constitution FC)

Ulster Bank League Division 1A Rising Star Award
    Alan Tynan (Young Munster)
    Bill Johnston (Garryowen FC)
    Charlie Rock (Lansdowne FC)
    Alex McHenry (Cork Constitution)

Ulster Bank League Division 1A Coach of the Year
    Brian Hickey (Cork Constitution FC)
    Mike Ruddock (Lansdowne FC)
    Conan Doyle (Garryowen FC)
    James Blaney (Terenure College RFC)

Ulster Bank League Division 1B Player of the Year
    Will Leonard (Shannon RFC)
    Tony Cusack (Shannon RFC)
    Andrew Morrison (Banbridge RFC)
    Paul Kiernan (UCC RFC)

Ulster Bank League Division 2A Player of the Year
    Rory Campbell (Malone RFC)
    Fintan O’Sullivan (Highfield RFC)
    Cormac Fox (City of Armagh)
    Brian Murphy (Galwegians)

Ulster Bank League Division 2B Player of the Year
    Tommy O’Hagan (Rainey Old Boys RFC)
    Val McDermott (Old Crescent RFC)
    Seaghan Gleeson (Old Crescent RFC)
    Eoin King (Navan RFC)

Ulster Bank League Division 2C Player of the Year
    Manu Parkin (Sligo RFC)
    Shane Boyle (Sligo RFC)
    Evan Cusack (Thomond RFC)
    Stuart McCain (Omagh Accies RFC)

Ulster Bank – Club P.R.O. of the Year
    Frank Larkin (Old Crescent RFC)
    Carl Blake (Galwegians RFC)
    Chris Moore (Queens University)
    Katie McCloskey (Shannon RFC)

Ulster Bank Provincial Player of the Year - Across all UBL divisions (Public Vote)
    Munster Nominees
    Neil Cronin (Garryowen FC)
    Tomás Quinlan (Cork Constitution)
    Val McDermott (Old Crescent RFC)
    Will Leonard (Shannon RFC)

Leinster Nominees
    Adam Leavy (Lansdowne FC)
    Eamon Mills (Lansdowne FC)
    Harry Brennan (Lansdowne FC)
    Jack Swain (Terenure College RFC)

Ulster Nominees
    Andrew Morrison (Banbridge RFC)
    Caleb Montgomery (Banbridge RFC)
    Rory Campbell (Malone RFC)
    Stuart McCain (Omagh Accies RFC)

Connacht Nominees
    Manu Parkin (Sligo RFC)
    Shane Boyle (Sligo RFC)
    Brian Murphy (Galwegians RFC)
    Martin Staunton (Buccaneers RFC)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

the public vote is odd...

also think the rising stars choices are odd too.

Advertisement