Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

batman75 wrote: »
    It would have made more sense to use the money to regenerate Connaught St. Get the physical landscape of the town looking in top condition then move onto leisure expenditure.

And fill it with what ? Bricks and mortar retail is as good as dead , only so many cafes they can open .could do with a supermarket with car park spacing I accept (current proposed location for Lidl/Aldi isn’t great due to how busy that road is)

Totally agree that the oldest and most historic part of our town should be developed and renovated , but do not ignore a big picture here. The cyclists are being brought through the town and over to the castle. They will want feeding And watering on the west side - the cycling boom is now more focused on people doing long distance cycling and touring So that’s people of all ages . .And more importantly people with money

If and when cyclists (not just the Lycra brigade ) feel Welcomed and wanted in an area and there are places to see , they will and do come . Athlone is a flat enough area ,which would suit newbies . The Roscommon side has plenty to see and do (Hudson bay) and loads of quiet roads in decent to very good condition as it is .

Iarnrod eireann doesn’t help with the poor Availability of bike racks on their carriages - many are often used by **** with their luggage despite the bike compartment being reserved and paid for by cyclists travelling to hilly areas like Slieve Bloom or Galway and Mayo . The royal canal (Maynooth to Longford is very popular route and one can divert at Mullingar to .... Athlone )

They already tried to revamp Pearse Street a decade ago (more) , yes, it was BADLY needed (old Lyster Street area) but it took an age to get businesses to move in .we can all agree, unless one is a philistine , that the nicest part of Athlone is around the Castle and near the Garda station (best pubs in the town - and gerties isn’t far away)

Look what it’s done for that shop at Garrycastle. Use to be a tiny shop ,albeit a busy one , but they did a savage job with their renovation . The cycleway hasn’t done the coffee shop near Moate golf course any harm at all

8 million is a lot of money so Personally I’m content with using the main roads and country lanes around the areas where the proposed cycle way will go , but not everyone is alpha road warrior (lol) like me . It will and does encourage people of all ages to get out on all sorts of bikes. Loads of walking take advantage of it, and it does wonders for people around Mount Temple (already a nice place)

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    It is a nice thing to have. While the shop in Garrycastle is doing well, I'm sure the path has given it a big boost in recent years.

I can only imagine if a cycle path makes it easier for tourists to get around and through Athlone, it will give the town a boost also.

As for the path taken to Galway, it might be a stretch, but I'd love to see it head through Shannonbridge and Ballinasloe.

People of Ballinasloe and Shannonbridge are all for it . They have cop on to realise what it can do for them. Shannon bridge is rich with history and places to see and Bord na mona themselves are looking into a few projects . The walkers then have the river suck trails from their to ballygar and athleague

I should acknowledge that the objectors, Land owners, farmers have had legitimate cases to complain about and Mullingar and Royal canal line had the advantage of being mostly Public land

No reason for the route to stop now ,if Shannonbridge n Ballinasloe Can get support and Approval from the public,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

That is all very well, but if people can go West, it also means that people from the West can go East. These cycleways show no respect for parish, barony, county or provincial or diocesan boundaries.

That is all very well, but if people can go West, it also means that people from the West can go East. These cycleways show no respect for parish, barony, county or provincial or diocesan boundaries.

Many places that time has forgotten . 🙄

Hasn’t hurt Castletown Geoghegan’s ability to attract more visitors .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Any local black Friday deals in athlone? Was looking for presents earlier and stumbled on https://dooleyscandles.ie/ who are doing Yankee candles cheaper than most black Friday deals that I can see, and with click and collect you save on postage too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

rn wrote: »
    Any local black Friday deals in athlone? Was looking for presents earlier and stumbled on https://dooleyscandles.ie/ who are doing Yankee candles cheaper than most black Friday deals that I can see, and with click and collect you save on postage too!

This ad has been brought to you by someone totally independent and not connected to Dooley's.
    Joking, no harm promoting a local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Lol no affiliation to dooleys whatsoever. Only stumbled on it by accidental when we were searching for Christmas candles. I only realised it was Athlone business from the phone number listed on the site.

This ad has been brought to you by someone totally independent and not connected to Dooley's.
    Joking, no harm promoting a local business.
    It's hard to support local businesses when a hyper-reactive government forces them to remain closed! :mad:

It's hard to support local businesses when a hyper-reactive government forces them to remain closed! :mad:

Agreed, some of the restrictions seem to be for optics only and have no basis in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

cena wrote: »
    Bad location for the new kens. no parking

It's like two or three minutes away from a car park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭Demonique

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Granted, I can get back out and use a gym, but sessions need to be booked in advance and used under certain guidelines obviously. I can also go for long walks in the evening, Besides the wife and parents, the only interactions I have is the head nod to others while out walking, or the shop assistants.

Anyone else bored off their tits? Or maybe it's because I have ADHD.

When the swimming pool I go to reopened I couldn't be arsed making a booking, I much prefer to go when I feel like it, I probably won't be going again until I can go without making a booking
    Bredabe wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are case sized luggage locker in the rail/bus station?
    Also, the local service time tables arent downloading from the BE page, anyone know wherelse I can get these from?

The train station doesn't have lockers, not sure about the bus station

The people in my local area who don't clean up after their dogs (or allow their dogs to wander therefore enabling the dog to crap where it pleases) deserve to have their faces rubbed in their dogs' ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stichy

Demonique wrote: »
    The people in my local area who don't clean up after their dogs (or allow their dogs to wander therefore enabling the dog to crap where it pleases) deserve to have their faces rubbed in their dogs' ****e

I find Athlone really bad for this. It's like an obstacle course when I'm out for a run, the footpath would be covered in it. Absolute dirt bags that just leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Anyone know of any current clothes banks in Athlone? Used to be several, but they’ve been removed. Got a bin liner full of decent clothes (kids have grown out of them) and really dont want to just bin them

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blahfool

EDit wrote: »
    Anyone know of any current clothes banks in Athlone? Used to be several, but they’ve been removed. Got a bin liner full of decent clothes (kids have grown out of them) and really dont want to just bin them

Lidl (Aldi)? Next to golden island has one. Used it recently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

EDit wrote: »

You could bring them to Saint Vincent De Pauls just up the street from Burgess. They'll keep anything good, and have their own clothing bins out back it needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Donate the clothes to Willow Park FC. Can even leave them outside the changing rooms. My understanding is they sell them onto the clothes collectors and use the pennies for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Can anyone recommend a good solicitor in Athlone for a property purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Seridisand wrote: »

Tony Henry in Tormeys is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

Mellotte ocarroll on pearse st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

We used Brian O'Brien in Byrne Carrol and Cunningham for our last purchase.
    No problems whatsoever and will likely be using them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Cheers, will contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

rje66 wrote: »
    Mellotte ocarroll on pearse st

try to get Michelle mellotte

Any tips for getting a local hair salon to do a cut, missus is having no luck (naturally with time of year)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Currently using Hayden & Co.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Any tips for getting a local hair salon to do a cut, missus is having no luck (naturally with time of year)

Lawlors near Eddie Rockets takes appointments. The wife had her hair done recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

How busy is the town these days with Christmas and Covid?

Will be down that neck of the woods after the 18th and will need to do some food shopping and the last of the Christmas presents.

Just wondering if should go Athlone Town Centre or Golden Island? What’s parking/queuing/crowds like?

Batgurl wrote: »

Will be down that neck of the woods after the 18th and will need to do some food shopping and the last of the Christmas presents.

Just wondering if should go Athlone Town Centre or Golden Island? What’s parking/queuing/crowds like?

Generally been avoiding the town outside of off-peak hours, but from what i see, there's enough parking in Golden Island to do a shop and take the 5 min walk to ATC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Batgurl wrote: »

Busy enough. Go in as early as you can. Did my shopping yesterday and was in before 9. Plenty of parking in Golden Island then but fairly full when I was leaving at 1. What helped me was making a list so I knew what I was looking for and where to go, meaning I only went to the stores I needed to. Town will probably be very busy this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Anyone have an idea of where I might buy a voucher for a car valet in Athlone? Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of where I might buy a voucher for a car valet in Athlone? Any recommendations?

Lads at the Grove have a good rep.

Advertisement