Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I've a question, If you park in an Athlone town council area that has a parking metre which you didn't notice and hence didn't pay for parking does the traffic warden put the parking ticket on your windscreen or do they instead post it to your home address?

They post you a fine and falsely claim that they put one on your windscreen is my experience. I'm suspecting similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I've a question, If you park in an Athlone town council area that has a parking metre which you didn't notice and hence didn't pay for parking does the traffic warden put the parking ticket on your windscreen or do they instead post it to your home address?

How could you not notice a parking meter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How could you not notice a parking meter?

I'd be more concerned they couldn't see a sign stating paid parking, there are plenty of them around the town in all parking areas the council is responsible for.

I'd be more concerned they couldn't see a sign stating paid parking, there are plenty of them around the town in all parking areas the council is responsible for.

If they can't see a parking meter, they are a danger on the road. They can't see other road users either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Has anyone been to Insomnia? Its a lovely cafe but for some reason its been put in the back of Penneys, they do the best hot chocolate I've had in Ireland, they dont use powder, they have a vat of melted chocolate which they add to milk, divine

Also, there are quite a few people who ignore the signs to keep to the right on the railway walkway and to clean up after their dogs, the not keeping to the right doesnt bother me much, but the scumbags who dont clean up their dogs' ****e deserve a good boot up their collective arses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Demonique wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Insomnia? Its a lovely cafe but for some reason its been put in the back of Penneys, they do the best hot chocolate I've had in Ireland, they dont use powder, they have a vat of melted chocolate which they add to milk, divine

Also, there are quite a few people who ignore the signs to keep to the right on the railway walkway and to clean up after their dogs, the not keeping to the right doesnt bother me much, but the scumbags who dont clean up their dogs' ****e deserve a good boot up their collective arses.

I had completely forgot about that insomnia outlet, remarkable to be so hidden away. Costa surely takes most passing custom in golden island.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

I had completely forgot about that insomnia outlet, remarkable to be so hidden away. Costa surely takes most passing custom in golden island.

I walk by Costa every time to head for insomnia. Better seating, more room for a buggy/kids and coffee is nice too. Toilets are easier to access as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Demonique wrote: »

Discovered by accident when with OH shopping, really good coffee, have to try the chocolate now :)

Agreed about dogs fouling the walkways, I have no problem telling them off about it...they don't have much to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I am not from Athlone but I was on a day trip there recently.

Visited An Luan gallery. Lovely location. Very nice staff. Given a brochure. Brochure must have been font size 8. Did not see any names or numbers on the exhibits so did not know whose work of art was whose. That was very odd.

The nearby church St Paul's (?) has another nice location but when I went inside I found it quite dark and dreary. All the lovely carvings seemed to stop half way upwards and you were left with dull wall from thereon up. But dark and dull inside generally and not in any way upfifting.

The Prince of Wales Hotel for lunch. Polite and attentive staff. Roast beef just lovely. The chips hot but could have been cooked a bit longer. Still 9/10. I would return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'd imagine that Insomnia cafe is as much there to keep people in Penney's as to draw them to Insomnia itself. They're probably renting that space from Penney's for half of nothing, with the lack of large overheads it has to be making relatively decent money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

bobbyss wrote: »

Visited An Luan gallery. Lovely location. Very nice staff. Given a brochure. Brochure must have been font size 8. Did not see any names or numbers on the exhibits so did not know whose work of art was whose. That was very odd.

The nearby church St Paul's (?) has another nice location but when I went inside I found it quite dark and dreary. All the lovely carvings seemed to stop half way upwards and you were left with dull wall from thereon up. But dark and dull inside generally and not in any way upfifting.

The Prince of Wales Hotel for lunch. Polite and attentive staff. Roast beef just lovely. The chips hot but could have been cooked a bit longer. Still 9/10. I would return.

I always found that church dreary also (St. Peter and Paul's). The interior and statues inside are modeled on the Basilica in Rome but obviously a lot less ornate. A far nicer church in Athlone imo is the Franciscan Friary not far from The Prince of Wales and close to the river.

The castle isnt a bad place to visit either or to just take pictures from the top of for free, the museum is small but worth a visit and gives information on the seige of Athlone. I'd also recommend a trip out to Glasson village for some pub grub if you visit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭bobbyss

pawrick wrote: »
    I always found that church dreary also (St. Peter and Paul's). The interior and statues inside are modeled on the Basilica in Rome but obviously a lot less ornate. A far nicer church in Athlone imo is the Franciscan Friary not far from The Prince of Wales and close to the river.

The castle isnt a bad place to visit either or to just take pictures from the top of for free, the museum is small but worth a visit and gives information on the seige of Athlone. I'd also recommend a trip out to Glasson village for some pub grub if you visit again.

Yes thanks. I will be back. I will for sure check out the castle and that other church you mentioned. Is the Radisson a nice place for a lunch? Can you go on a cruise from Athlone on the Shannon? Any recommendations? Would like that. Not well publicised I think?

There is a small lane way in the town called I think Preachers' Lane. Why is it called that?

A great advantage of Athlone for a day tripper is that the train station is dead centre of the town. Ballinasloe suffers by comparison.

As a day tripper I wonder could more be made of waterside cafes and eateries? On the side opposite the castle going away from the bridge was just emptiness and green fields if memory serves me correct. Huge potential there I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

SS Peter & Paul is overly fussy with too much coloured marble imo. However, there are some Harry Clarke (studio) windows that are beautiful.
    The Friary, that pawrick mentioned, also has Harry Clarke (studio) windows.
    Come back and visit again. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yes thanks. I will be back. I will for sure check out the castle and that other church you mentioned. Is the Radisson a nice place for a lunch? Can you go on a cruise from Athlone on the Shannon? Any recommendations? Would like that. Not well publicised I think?

There is a small lane way in the town called I think Preachers' Lane. Why is it called that?

A great advantage of Athlone for a day tripper is that the train station is dead centre of the town. Ballinasloe suffers by comparison.

As a day tripper I wonder could more be made of waterside cafes and eateries? On the side opposite the castle going away from the bridge was just emptiness and green fields if memory serves me correct. Huge potential there I would have thought.

Met a Shannon cruise boat on the Shannon last weekend so some of the cruises are at least operating. The Viking cruise is the most famous but I'm not sure if its back operating just yet.

The old railway line towards Mullingar is now a cycle greenway, and bike hire is available nearby.

As someone said Glasson nearby is the Gastro capital of Ireland.

Public Consultation flyers sent in or the Galway to Athlone section of the Greenway. Some meetings being set up on same in Athlone, Ballinasloe etc for the week beginning Aug 10. No route selected yet according to the flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I see they have secured funding to explore possible greenways to Shannonbridge and Termonbarry too

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Ceirseach wrote: »
    SS Peter & Paul is overly fussy with too much coloured marble imo. However, there are some Harry Clarke (studio) windows that are beautiful.
    The Friary, that pawrick mentioned, also has Harry Clarke (studio) windows.
    Come back and visit again. ��

Ya have to bear in mind when St Peters was built. Just right after the Catholic Eucharist in Ireland and Ireland under Dev was finally removing all vast ages of the Treaty . He was building his catholic Ireland and the RCC at the time built a load of **** off giant size churches at the time

St Peters was never going to be small. As ye know it was to be a replica of The church in Rome , but, without all the real art

It’s obviously an iconic building in Athlone )outside ) funny enough it’s st Mary’s spire which can be scene in all directions of the town and outside it , especially coming in off the Roscommon Rd .

But yah, inside it is weird

Always find it amusing how locals think it’s a cathedral

I see they have secured funding to explore possible greenways to Shannonbridge and Termonbarry too

Shannonbridge route is fairly nailed down. Following the current railway to Daneshill in Monksland before turning south. A few niggly arguments with residents around Summerhill aside, the route should basically follow a beeline to Shannonbridge from there.

Described in more detail in

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2019/07/15/athlone-to-galway-cycleway-plan-resurrected/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Shannonbridge route is fairly nailed down. Following the current railway to Daneshill in Monksland before turning south. A few niggly arguments with residents around Summerhill aside, the route should basically follow a beeline to Shannonbridge from there.

Described in more detail in

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2019/07/15/athlone-to-galway-cycleway-plan-resurrected/

Better off keeping out of the kip that is ballinasloe

Heading to Athlone for the weekend on Friday week for two nights.Any suggestions what to get up to during the day? Activities,places to visit etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Heading to Athlone for the weekend on Friday week for two nights.Any suggestions what to get up to during the day? Activities,places to visit etc

Viking tour(boat trip) if it’s on beside the castle.
    Effing covid has the whole thing in a mess.

Golden Mile is nice for a short walk, good scenery. Bring some <insert PC food here> and feed the ducks.

Coosan Point/Hodson Bay on Lough Ree for nice views of lake and stuff to do for the kids.

Kens is a nice Chinese Restaurant

Given that you are about 42, you should visit Clonmacnoise or Rindoon. They are even older than you are and are seriously important cultural sites. The hill of Uisneach with views of 20 counties is nearby also.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Not a lot due to Covid. BUt yes, the Viking boat is a good call , they are operating . The castle is open and have some procedures there, it’s an interesting museum . The art gallery is open.

Could always contact Beallnamulla (Roscommon side of the town ) pitch n putt coarse to see if it’s open. It is within walking distances from Monksland (shuttle bus into town) nothing crazy but will kill some time .I could be wrong, but I believe you don’t have to be a member to play, just play a one off fee

Buckley’s cycles have bike hire so there’s a very nice cycleway of 42km to mullingar. There are exit points On the cycleway that could take you safely to Mount Temple - Glasson (food food food ) The exit point for Hill of Uisneach is at Castletown Station (cycleway About 24 km from athlone ) and is only 4 km from there onto the main road (safe to cycle ) Dead easy to ride and it doesn’t take long regardless of fitness

You could also ride over to Hudson Bay or beyond to Leecarrow to see the hidden medieval town at St Johns/Rindoon (And views of Lough Ree ) (Roscommon side on the N61 road, perfectly safe to cycle , wide hard shoulder on both sides )

Clonmacnoise could also be cycled to, if you ride through quite areas of Clonown and Moore and Shannonbridge - can see the whole Clonmacnoise site And Shannonbridge Bogs from Clonown/drum across the river . theres a wake house at Nure /craobh na marbh

all these can be accessed by staying on the R446 too, plenty of signs (not sure it be wise to use a car to all of these destinations by the back roads mentioned There’s a small bit Of road beyond Clonown church that is hard to cycle or drive on )

Google map/street view is worth a look

Actually the area of Drum is riddled with interesting historic monuments ancient graves, tombs etc - might not be everyone’s cup of tea but kudos to Drum heritage . They have a good website

You could also cycle to Clonmacnoise via Ballinahowen etc but that road is pretty busy Compared to Clonown Moore . Better off driving on that route but again, it’s safe enough to cycle .

These are just outdoor suggestions that won’t costs a lot of money (Viking boat still be a few bob but worth it ) obviously weather permitting too. Obviously cycling is only one way to get there, it’s just a suggestion and can kill a few hours

Thanks guys for the feed back. Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Not a lot due to Covid. BUt yes, the Viking boat is a good call , they are operating . The castle is open and have some procedures there, it’s an interesting museum . The art gallery is open.

Could always contact Beallnamulla (Roscommon side of the town ) pitch n putt coarse to see if it’s open. It is within walking distances from Monksland (shuttle bus into town) nothing crazy but will kill some time .I could be wrong, but I believe you don’t have to be a member to play, just play a one off fee

Buckley’s cycles have bike hire so there’s a very nice cycleway of 42km to mullingar. There are exit points On the cycleway that could take you safely to Mount Temple - Glasson (food food food ) The exit point for Hill of Uisneach is at Castletown Station (cycleway About 24 km from athlone ) and is only 4 km from there onto the main road (safe to cycle ) Dead easy to ride and it doesn’t take long regardless of fitness

You could also ride over to Hudson Bay or beyond to Leecarrow to see the hidden medieval town at St Johns/Rindoon (And views of Lough Ree ) (Roscommon side on the N61 road, perfectly safe to cycle , wide hard shoulder on both sides )

Clonmacnoise could also be cycled to, if you ride through quite areas of Clonown and Moore and Shannonbridge - can see the whole Clonmacnoise site And Shannonbridge Bogs from Clonown/drum across the river . theres a wake house at Nure /craobh na marbh

all these can be accessed by staying on the R446 too, plenty of signs (not sure it be wise to use a car to all of these destinations by the back roads mentioned There’s a small bit Of road beyond Clonown church that is hard to cycle or drive on )

Google map/street view is worth a look

Actually the area of Drum is riddled with interesting historic monuments ancient graves, tombs etc - might not be everyone’s cup of tea but kudos to Drum heritage . They have a good website

You could also cycle to Clonmacnoise via Ballinahowen etc but that road is pretty busy Compared to Clonown Moore . Better off driving on that route but again, it’s safe enough to cycle .

These are just outdoor suggestions that won’t costs a lot of money (Viking boat still be a few bob but worth it ) obviously weather permitting too. Obviously cycling is only one way to get there, it’s just a suggestion and can kill a few hours

Rindoon medieval village/castle and nature walk is a nice spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Kens is a nice Chinese Restaurant
    AFAIK Ken’s closed and is relocating to a building near the train station. Not sure if they’ve reopened yet.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    AFAIK Ken’s closed and is relocating to a building near the train station. Not sure if they’ve reopened yet.

Yeah your right actually. Saw the new premesis and assumed open

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

Bad location for the new kens. no parking

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    Bad location for the new kens. no parking

When the 60 second walk to the fair green car park is considered "bad location no parking" , i despair.

Advertisement