Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I see some work appears to be going on between the Water Gate entrance to the Barracks and Hanleys across the water. I thought the new bridge was being installed closer to the Radisson.

New boat moorings.

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2020/09/29/tourism-boost-as-new-moorings-installed-along-shannon-in-athlone/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

If the bicycle bridge is built as proposed there will be at least 12 less mooring spaces at Athlone Town Marina. Maybe Cllr. Moran would like to comment on that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

A couple of cases amongst staff in Supervalue and the Grove on the West side of the town. Both shops still open at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A couple of cases amongst staff in Supervalue and the Grove on the West side of the town. Both shops still open at the moment

If proper cleaning procedures are in place then there's no reason not to stay open, or for vulnerable people to stay away. I wish all involved a speedy recovery and hope that everyone respects their privacy and dignity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

flazio wrote: »
    If proper cleaning procedures are in place then there's no reason not to stay open, or for vulnerable people to stay away. I wish all involved a speedy recovery and hope that everyone respects their privacy and dignity.

Absolutely agree that we all should repect their rights to privacy and dignity, but until someone make a very clear, public statement on the circumstances (no names needed) and actual remediation and assessment actions, neither me nor mine will be going within an asses roar of the place.. and thats our major weekly-10 day shop location.

I wish them all the very best, but hey... it's a 2-way street. I have both a NEED and a RIGHT to know if your retail outlet presents more than a normal, background risk to me and mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

If a staff member in a shop tests positive then that shop should be closed, and all staff isolated and tested.Disgraceful if those shops are still open at present.

It's not that easy for Croghans or Smiths. They're not owned by Supervalu, unlike the Tescos or Dunnes, they don't have central ownership to bail out the staff and management.
    I don't think a single supermarket in any Level 3 county has closed and I'd be shocked if they didn't have any positive staff members.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Mearings wrote: »
    If the bicycle bridge is built as proposed there will be at least 12 less mooring spaces at Athlone Town Marina. Maybe Cllr. Moran would like to comment on that situation.

Is it possible to erect more jetties near Jim’s Field (the Park across from Assumption Road and very close to the Jetty/marina where the Jolly Marnier once was) . ? If doable, it’s less than a mile extra walk into town - from the original town mooring spot. Still close to Dunnes n Griffins for supplies etc etc

Of course it still be preferable to have it close to the town bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Is it possible to erect more jetties near Jim’s Field (the Park across from Assumption Road and very close to the Jetty/marina where the Jolly Marnier once was) . ? If doable, it’s less than a mile extra walk into town - from the original town mooring spot. Still close to Dunnes n Griffins for supplies etc etc

Of course it still be preferable to have it close to the town bridge
    Why none downriver of the bridge, lots of space beside Burgess Park and on the opposite side and very close to town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Why none downriver of the bridge, lots of space beside Burgess Park and on the opposite side and very close to town?

River level varies a lot more below the weir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

River level varies a lot more below the weir.
    Ah...makes a lot of sense, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2020/08/05/second-lidl-store-proposal-on-hold-after-planning-appeals/

Every objector is a bloody retail rival to Lidl (IIRC Donie Kenny wanted to build an Aldi-based site a mile further west a few years back)

How is this sh1te allowed - the judge should give 2 literal fingers to them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2020/08/05/second-lidl-store-proposal-on-hold-after-planning-appeals/

Every objector is a bloody retail rival to Lidl (IIRC Donie Kenny wanted to build an Aldi-based site a mile further west a few years back)

Literally getting tired of all the objections, but there's little we can do about it, until the system changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Wasn't that clown seen waving a flag and in the group with O'Doherty and Waters when the space cadets visited town

Wasn't that clown seen waving a flag and in the group with O'Doherty and Waters when the space cadets visited town

Seems like the easily swayed type, so quite possibly. I'd still have loved an Aldi in Monksland. The way ye vote Trump in because tax goes down, can still give him 2 fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭batman75

Didn't Donie Kenny try for a retail development on the west side of Athlone and get turned down. I believe he wanted to put in an Aldi on a site he owns/owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Correct. I think definitely went once for actual planning near ganleys I believe and he was also publicising a proposal to resurrect the Monkland Town centre and distributor Road, with aldi being first anchor part. Don't think that one made it to the council.

Lack of a TD in athlone really came home to roost when the test centre here was removed and not reinstated

Castlerea or mullingar if you need a test. Good god

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Lack of a TD in athlone really came home to roost when the test centre here was removed and not reinstated

We did have one in the 1st wave. Surely now that we're in a Level 5 lockdown, one needs to be set up immediately??

Else, if we dont need to have one, how is a L5 justified?

• Advertisement

Its a wonder that Roscommon town wasn't used.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Its a wonder that Roscommon town wasn't used.

Roscommon town had one in the first wave but hasn't reopened for L5.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

They are incabable of looking outside the county system. Athlone including its Roscommon hinterland is a heavily populated central area deserving of at least one test centre. This area does have a TD, former Fine Gael now independent Denis Naughten.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

I was passing by a well known betting establishment today and noticed a member of the public at the entrance. Their seemed to be a member of staff engaging with him as if a bet was being placed. Is this allowed during level 5?

I was passing by a well known betting establishment today and noticed a member of the public at the entrance. Their seemed to be a member of staff engaging with him as if a bet was being placed. Is this allowed during level 5?
    I don't know, but are you considering reporting them.
    Have we come to this as a society, that we are reporting everything we see to the police just like they used to do in East Germany forty years ago, or Germany a couple of decades earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

I don't know, but are you considering reporting them.
    Have we come to this as a society, that we are reporting everything we see to the police just like they used to do in East Germany forty years ago, or Germany a couple of decades earlier.

No, I am not considering reporting them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

Don't worry, it'll be spotted before long anyway. What's story with dunnes and tesco drapery department? Are the specials still on sale in aldi and lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Tesco have closed some aisles, toys and dvds. Not sure about drapery.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Well if clothing Stores are allowed to operate a click and collect service I don't see why not!

• Advertisement

Update after some emails to local TDs about Athlone test centre. Naughten responded.

I was wondering about the inconsistency alright. I have already taken this up directly with both Tony Holohan, Paul Reid & the Taoiseach seeking a centre in Athlone. They are sticking with the current line that they are located based on Community Care Areas but Athlone is in the middle of the Country.

I’ll follow it up again

Advertisement