Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Update after some emails to local TDs about Athlone test centre. Naughten responded.

I was wondering about the inconsistency alright. I have already taken this up directly with both Tony Holohan, Paul Reid & the Taoiseach seeking a centre in Athlone. They are sticking with the current line that they are located based on Community Care Areas but Athlone is in the middle of the Country.

I’ll follow it up again

Sadly, I dont even understand what that reply means.

What does "they are located based on Community Care Areas" mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Update after some emails to local TDs about Athlone test centre. Naughten responded.

I was wondering about the inconsistency alright. I have already taken this up directly with both Tony Holohan, Paul Reid & the Taoiseach seeking a centre in Athlone. They are sticking with the current line that they are located based on Community Care Areas but Athlone is in the middle of the Country.

I’ll follow it up again

Just because that loan is geographically in the centre of the country doesn't mean it should have its own testing centre. It doesn't even have a hospital FFS. Nor does it have a divisional Garda headquarters. This the population of Athlone and surrounding areas is small and would be lost in a corner of any of the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,878 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, for context, Ballinasloe does have a hospital and a smaller population and they have to go down a tolled road to get tested. I'd actually imagine that the Galway facility just off exit 19 would be faster for Athlone residents to travel to then Castlebar. A centre in Athlone would be much handier. Boots UK are introducing expensive private testing but the results are same day.

The point here should surely be that, in the middle of a Level 5 lockdown, ALL towns should have a testing capability! Simple as!

How is a person who doesn't / can't drive supposed to get from Baylough to Castlerea?? FFS! Criminal neglect!

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2020/10/15/absence-of-a-covid-19-test-centre-in-athlone-absolutely-crazy/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Just because that loan is geographically in the centre of the country doesn't mean it should have its own testing centre. It doesn't even have a hospital FFS. Nor does it have a divisional Garda headquarters. This the population of Athlone and surrounding areas is small and would be lost in a corner of any of the cities.

This isn't about the town looking for a national stadium, hospital or anything of the sort. Like seriously, do you think Castlerea fits your criteria in not being lost in a corner of a big city.

People moving long distances is causing the virus to spread, hence the lockdown. Athlone, being the largest town for an almost 50 mile radius shouldn't have all 20K+ people having to travel over 60 kilometres.

PS. "That loan". Typo or not that was hilarious!

• Advertisement

Probably a speech to text app ;)

Public Notice:
    The government have announced €8,100,000 for the development of greenway by TII from Galway to Athlone. This is a 100% grant because of COVID-19, meaning that the local authorities will not have to match fund on this occasion. This is very welcome news and the Project will hopefully provide a very valuable resource for the community as well as those using it for touristic purposes, when done.
    Information provided courtesy of Senator Aidan Davitt

Saw this on Cllr John Keogh's page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭rn

It'll be a great asset when complete

I wonder whether that money is just for the bridge. Devil in the detail. Alot of awkwardness about the route through roscommon

I wonder whether that money is just for the bridge. Devil in the detail. Alot of awkwardness about the route through roscommon

Physical/geographical/logisrical awkardness or people awkwardness?

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    A bit of all of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

It would have made more sense to use the money to regenerate Connaught St. Get the physical landscape of the town looking in top condition then move onto leisure expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

batman75 wrote: »
    It would have made more sense to use the money to regenerate Connaught St. Get the physical landscape of the town looking in top condition then move onto leisure expenditure.

The money is for the Greenway not for urban renewal. It's not in the gift of the council to decide to spend the money on something other that what it is allocated for

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

The money is for the Greenway not for urban renewal. It's not in the gift of the council to decide to spend the money on something other that what it is allocated for

You may well be right but in terms of priorities it doesn't strike me as a super urgent situation.

What does stagger me is the size of the town with no hospital. Carlow springs to mind on that score too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Equally valid points. Would it not be pointless having a hospital in Athlone, with Ballinasloe, Roscommon and Tullamore so close?

On the subject of having a cycle path. The Garrycastle area is looking a bit better in terms of its appearance and the shop, even with Ericsson and the Training Centre is doing a great trade.

I also agree, Connaught street and the west side of Athlone in general is in dire need of an awful lot of redevelopment. Connaught street used to be a busy little spot in the late 80s and early 90s from what I can recall as a child.

You may well be right but in terms of priorities it doesn't strike me as a super urgent situation.

Greenway has been far from a priority. Talked about for over 10 years now, it's finally got to the front of the queue

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Greenway has been far from a priority. Talked about for over 10 years now, it's finally got to the front of the queue

It is a nice thing to have. While the shop in Garrycastle is doing well, I'm sure the path has given it a big boost in recent years.

I can only imagine if a cycle path makes it easier for tourists to get around and through Athlone, it will give the town a boost also.

As for the path taken to Galway, it might be a stretch, but I'd love to see it head through Shannonbridge and Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What does stagger me is the size of the town with no hospital. Carlow springs to mind on that score too.

Greenway has been talked about for years ,there may be other projects that could be done but that doesn't mean money isn't welcome for the greenway.

8m isn't much in the grand scheme of things .

I can see why there is no hospital in Athlone, there are 3 within 35 minutes of Athlone Town centre and Mullingar is 45 mins away.
    There was talk about upgrading Vincent's around 2000 but that seems to all have stepped.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Greenway has been talked about for years ,there may be other projects that could be done but that doesn't mean money isn't welcome for the greenway.

8m isn't much in the grand scheme of things .

I can see why there is no hospital in Athlone, there are 3 within 35 minutes of Athlone Town centre and Mullingar is 45 mins away.
    There was talk about upgrading Vincent's around 2000 but that seems to all have stepped.

To be honest, given it's location and the size of the site, I don't think St. Vincents would make for a suitable hospital. I would however prefer if a considerably larger site was chosen along the motorway or not far from it, as a site for a new hospital.

That doesn't go without saying, St. Vincents could do with a considerable update, to house services that neither of the large Primary care centres have and maybe even a base for an Ambulance Service to serve the midlands better.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    To be honest, given it's location and the size of the site, I don't think St. Vincents would make for a suitable hospital. I would however prefer if a considerably larger site was chosen along the motorway or not far from it, as a site for a new hospital.

That doesn't go without saying, St. Vincents could do with a considerable update, to house services that neither of the large Primary care centres have and maybe even a base for an Ambulance Service to serve the midlands better.

In ideal world Athlone would have a hospital and if funding was ever available a new site would be picked with better access and more space.

Very unlikely to happen anytime in the near future,hard make a case for a multi million euro investment with all the other hospitals in close proximity.

• Advertisement

In ideal world Athlone would have a hospital and if funding was ever available a new site would be picked with better access and more space.

Very unlikely to happen anytime in the near future,hard make a case for a multi million euro investment with all the other hospitals in close proximity.

Especially when a complete f*ck of things was made with respect to the National Childrens Hospital on the site of St. James.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Especially when a complete f*ck of things was made with respect to the National Childrens Hospital on the site of St. James.

The sad thing is that the only learning the government will take from that clusterfk is "dont build hospitals"

It was originally intended that Portiuncula hospital would be sited in Athlone, not Ballinasloe.

Some diggers and tractors doing some work at exit 13 westbound by the Monksland Roundabout (the area where the old junction was before M6 was built).

Any idea what it is. Alot of ground flattening... maybe for sightlines? Hardly enough room there to build anything commercial or residential

Some diggers and tractors doing some work at exit 13 westbound by the Monksland Roundabout (the area where the old junction was before M6 was built).

Any idea what it is. Alot of ground flattening... maybe for sightlines? Hardly enough room there to build anything commercial or residential
    Hopefully it's the start of work to create a proper merge lane eastbound to avoid the current mess where (almost)all traffic leaving Monkslands crosses (almost)all traffic entering Monkslands.

It was originally intended that Portiuncula hospital would be sited in Athlone, not Ballinasloe.

I remember my Dad saying similar but don't recall what happened.
    A brown envelope job ?

Hopefully it's the start of work to create a proper merge lane eastbound to avoid the current mess where (almost)all traffic leaving Monkslands crosses (almost)all traffic entering Monkslands.

Indeed. The whole exit 13 to 14 job could have done with either an exit for Ballydangan or if that was too expensive (hardly...theres a bridge and just a ramp needed), just left the existing stretch to Summerhill.

It's getting to the stage where Monksland needs a bypass. Most coming from town take the Old Tuam Road rat-run if going beyond River Village.

Councillors of course are mad to get traffic lights in instead of improving the infrastructure.

Add to that, putting the signs for Tuam is a little suicidal too. Going to Tuam now? You take the M6 and M17 unless you haven't E1.90 in your pocket

In short, Monksland is getting swamped with alot of traffic with no business there.

I remember my Dad saying similar but don't recall what happened.
    A brown envelope job ?

The bishop wouldn't allow another order of nuns into the town apparently.

The bishop wouldn't allow another order of nuns into the town apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

TomOnBoard wrote: »

To be fair to Roscommon, they were way way ahead of the trend for walk and cycling trails for years.A good decade or so . Much of south Roscommon and the river suck areas have walking trails and their country lanes are used for cycling And encouraged to be used eg Curraghboy , Rahara, Knockcroghery etc

Don’t think the problems are coming from the Rossies . It was the Galway farmers who had issues (don’t think they were consulted)

One proposal for the greenway is to cut through parts of Clonown / Moore An area by the way is a gem for walls and cycling on the main roads . Go beyond the church at Clonown and after a while you can see directly across Clonmacnoise , a little further is the wake house (and there’s plenty of access roads to get onto the ballinasloe road from there, a road itself is decent and safe to ride due to the good hard shoulder) and down to Shannonbridge (and they aren’t far from Clonmacnoise)

Advertisement