Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

When the 60 second walk to the fair green car park is considered "bad location no parking" , i despair.

People want to park their car beside the table at the restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Or at least on the same side of the road as their destination. Imagine having to wait for a gap in traffic or the green man on the traffic lights in the pouring rain trying to cross from the car park to the restaurant. It'd certainly put me off.

People want to park their car beside the table at the restaurant.
    I recently rebuilt part of the driveway to allow people to park right up to the front door as the missus was convinced we would get more visitors if they can be closer to the door.:rolleyes:

Made no difference though....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Might be a market for a drive through Chinese take away :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

seems to be a few pubs on west side of town taking the mick in terms of food offerings.

Castle Inn and Snug are very busy I see, also noticed the fiddlers is open. Wonder are the guards just leaving them at it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

flazio wrote: »
    Or at least on the same side of the road as their destination. Imagine having to wait for a gap in traffic or the green man on the traffic lights in the pouring rain trying to cross from the car park to the restaurant. It'd certainly put me off.

Hmmm
    Not sure if serious or taking the piss...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Blanco100 wrote: »
    seems to be a few pubs on west side of town taking the mick in terms of food offerings.

Castle Inn and Snug are very busy I see, also noticed the fiddlers is open. Wonder are the guards just leaving them at it?

Rule of thumb is that they check places around 11ish from my observations. Rest of day the places are increasingly aware they won't get checked so....

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭White lighting

What rules are these pubs breaking? As far as I am aware all three pubs you are trying to slander are adhering to the ridiculous government guidelines.

What rules are these pubs breaking? As far as I am aware all three pubs you are trying to slander are adhering to the ridiculous government guidelines.

are the fiddlers serving food? genuine question. Not trying to slander anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭White lighting

are the fiddlers serving food? genuine question. Not trying to slander anyone.

I was away all weekend so wasn't in but speaking to a barman who works in the fiddlers they were make food upstairs and serve to customers downstairs. Pizza oven and other equipment were added to the premises last week.

• Advertisement

I was away all weekend so wasn't in but speaking to a barman who works in the fiddlers they were make food upstairs and serve to customers downstairs. Pizza oven and other equipment were added to the premises last week.

genuinely had no idea the fiddlers served food.

They didn't pre crisis but you got to move with the times.

The land that was st mels park has been sitting there left to waste for 15 years now. Why has it not been repurposed or used for something else? Seems a waste.

The land that was st mels park has been sitting there left to waste for 15 years now. Why has it not been repurposed or used for something else? Seems a waste.

Any ideas? Bear in mind it's still very close to an area with strong anti social behaviour so it would need to be able to resist that.

True but that thinking would have stopped the Greenway, Sports Centre and the New pitch being built.

It seems such a waste

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The grass area where Saint Mels once was, is big enough to house a few apartment blocks. Well designed and decent looking apartments of course. Space in Athlone isn't exactly in short supply, but 2 and 3 bed houses are a dime a dozen.

Makes me wonder, when is the 600+ houses between the sports centre and garrycastle expected to begin? That's if it's still going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    The grass area where Saint Mels once was, is big enough to house a few apartment blocks. Well designed and decent looking apartments of course. Space in Athlone isn't exactly in short supply, but 2 and 3 bed houses are a dime a dozen.

Makes me wonder, when is the 600+ houses between the sports centre and garrycastle expected to begin? That's if it's still going ahead.

Don't forget they have to build the bicycle bridge first. Housing provision should not interfere with more important Co. Council schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

Has Mardyke frames closed down?

cena wrote: »
    Has Mardyke frames closed down?

I assume you're referring to the shop across from the Office Centre, near the bistro. It unfortunately appears that they have in fact closed. A shame really, as my family would even use their services when they were on Connaught street back in the 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

I assume you're referring to the shop across from the Office Centre, near the bistro. It unfortunately appears that they have in fact closed. A shame really, as my family would even use their services when they were on Connaught street back in the 90's

That's the one. Shame. Lovely family to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Is Maisies going to open back up? Their website seems to be gone.

Is Maisies what the Palace Bar used to be? There's a handful of buildings in town that seems to be cursed. No business that occupies them for a time seems to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Is Maisies what the Palace Bar used to be? There's a handful of buildings in town that seems to be cursed. No business that occupies them for a time seems to last.

Yep, Maisies was doing very well pre covid, was great to see. They had just introduced Handsome Burger from Galway upstairs too. :(

It makes me wonder now, what the future has in store for pubs and restaurants, especially those of the rural kind. The occasional economic crash has hurt businesses in the past, but a pandemic dragging on this long surely will do more than just sting.

Once the pandemic is over something has to take its place. It might not be what was there originally but something has to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

it is odd that maisies have not reopened ?
    they have food on site

It makes me wonder now, what the future has in store for pubs and restaurants, especially those of the rural kind. The occasional economic crash has hurt businesses in the past, but a pandemic dragging on this long surely will do more than just sting.
    I think it will be more to do with their return on investment than anything else, if a business had spent (borrowed) a large sum recently, then the lockdown will have a far more adverse affect on them, sufficient to kill them off.
    Where as a long established business with few debts will be far more able to ride out the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Great win for Athlone Town fc in the fai Cup tonight winning 5-3 in extra time over wexford youths. Well done to all concerned.

Great win for Athlone Town fc in the fai Cup tonight winning 5-3 in extra time over wexford youths. Well done to all concerned.

Cmon the town! Good to see some decent news here

• Advertisement

Noticed this weekend that the Great Gas self service pumps beside Ganlys are gone. Shame that, saved my bacon once when I had an unexpected airport run when a delayed flight landed after the last bus.

Advertisement