Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report a social welfare cheat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

What about people who are entitled to social welfare but don't wish to get it ? What would you call these people?

Proud? I know people like that, they keep working despite pain and discomfort. They probably shouldn't. Not everyone can do it.

Some people have to, because Social Welfare payments wouldn't cover a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think that's naive at best- if their circumstances changed drastically, you don't know what they are capable of- claim dole and do some odd jobs for cash in order to keep a roof over their head or become homeless?

So you would choose homelessness?

No; if I had family which is the situation you are commenting n here, I would hope that family would offer help and support.

What comes over here is that everyone expects " the state" to pick up the pieces when surely we should be helping friends and family when times are hard?

Always thought Irish people were strong on family?

infogiver wrote: »
    that's right this is the very same as a 3rd world country like Bangaladesh or Yemen.
    In fact people in Bangaladesh are better off than we are here.

What a crazy statement..

I know a lot of people and I can say I do not know any one working and Signing on . But I do know it did go on in 1970s and 1980s in the most Disadvantaged urban areas of Ireland. Deprivation was wide spread Charles Dickinson would not get a look in. A man would say have 7 Children and there Father Might Clean Chimney for five pound and with that money he would buy sum Food for his Children.

Maybe he should have thought before having so many children.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

No; if I had family which is the situation you are commenting n here, I would hope that family would offer help and support.

What comes over here is that everyone expects " the state" to pick up the pieces when surely we should be helping friends and family when times are hard?

Always thought Irish people were strong on family?

Families can only offer as much as they have to give.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

So if we all decide to give up work go back to school and collect the dole where will the money come from?

Its not the dole its called back to education and its available due massive industries crashing and thousands of people needing aid while they retrain to go back into the work force. A person can claim once per fetac trust me its not worth ripping off.

200 Euro per week to cover travel and living expansives, course cost, childcare and other stuff doesn't go far.

Families can only offer as much as they have to give.

Just that not one mention of any support here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Divide and Conquer is what the Government are doing here . by the Men and Women at the Top of the pyramid with there Big Salaries a Allowances. TDs, Minister, Senators, Bankers, on the Big Money make people on the Bottom Fighting for Crumbs while the Eat Cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

^

That's it blame everyone else. "Wah wah wah, the TD's, the bankers". No personal responsibility as usual. "The government are crooks." Listen, if some scrote is on the sick and is picking up a working wage on the sly too, that's bollox. I bet if it were a black person defending this type of thing , everyone couldn't wait to scream their lungs out though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Leo Varadkar Salary Is?

If you took Varadkars salary off him and divided it up between every one on SW what difference would it make?
    Do you think he should work for nothing?
    Would you work for nothing?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Divide and Conquer is what the Government are doing here . by the Men and Women at the Top of the pyramid with there Big Salaries a Allowances. TDs, Minister, Senators, Bankers, on the Big Money make people on the Bottom Fighting for Crumbs while the Eat Cake.

Are you living on cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Maybe he should have thought before having so many children.

Different times,back then birth control wasn't readily available and the church frowned on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    I heard Conor McGregor is still drawing the dole, but i let it slide.
    To be fair he's not working at the moment and is actively seeking work (Mayweather fight) so he's perfectly entitled to be signing on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Leo Varadkar Salary Is?

Nothing to do with the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If you took Varadkars salary off him and divided it up between every one on SW what difference would it make?
    Do you think he should work for nothing?
    Would you work for nothing?

Nobody said he should work for nothing, but great him going after the plebs while he's entitled to a pension after two years work.

Do as I say, not as I do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Blazer wrote: »
    There's a certain ethnic group that claim social welfare across several counties.
    I don't give a frak that they can't read or write. Signing your name should be mandatory and if you can't well no cheque. Also photo id should be mandatory.
    And yes to bank account. This whole post office thing is way out of date.

How ignorant. There are older people in Ireland who cannot read or write because they were never given a chance and cannot learn it now. It is why we learn when we are young... it is then very hard as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,931 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yes, he does.

And rightly so.

Look at how many gobshi*es are voting FF again after they looted the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

How long does it take you to capitalize so many words in your posts?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Different times,back then birth control wasn't readily available and the church frowned on it.

The word NO works. No excuses. Blaming others...

• Advertisement

AryaStark wrote: »
    How ignorant. There are older people in Ireland who cannot read or write because they were never given a chance and cannot learn it now. It is why we learn when we are young... it is then very hard as an adult.

Well, I have had illiterate landlords and each one had learned to sign his name. And on forms there is the laternative given; a cross with a witness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Reporting social welfare fraud comes with hypocrisy... It's just a fact of life.

A person can stand against it and report a neighbor or a person they know. But all too often it's only because it's a person who they do not like / envious of / who's done something to them etc.

How many really report their father, mother, brother, sister, best mate etc. You see my point. So all this "would you" stuff is all crap sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Reporting social welfare fraud comes with hypocrisy... It's just a fact of life.

A person can stand against it and report a neighbor or a person they know. But all too often it's only because it's a person who they do not like / envious of / who's done something to them etc.

How many really report their father, mother, brother, sister, best mate etc. You see my point. So all this "would you" stuff is all crap sadly.

I personally wouldnt report family.

But that doesnt mean I think they shouldnt be reported. I'm just weak and sentimental.

All cheats should be caught and punished.

TBH I dont care why someone is reported. A perfect solution would be if everyone was thoroughly investigated but there aren't the resources for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The word NO works. No excuses. Blaming others...
    Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

The closest relative to me who was a welfare cheat was an Aunt and I reported her to the social welfare.
    She has 6 children and at that time she was working full time off the books so not paying any tax, earning very good money, while also claiming all the different allowances she could get, including rent allowance for a large house (for all her children) and she was also claiming Lone Parent's Allowance despite living with the father of 5 of the children and being in a relationship with him for 20+ years. He worked in a good job, getting good money (paying tax).
    She used to say that she wouldn't be able to afford all the stuff for her children without the social welfare money but she sure didn't think of that before getting pregnant 6 times.

Before anyone jumps in and tells me I'm horrible - just think of the children's allowance alone she received for her 6 children that she chose to have while living on social welfare?

I had no issue with her personally, never had a falling out with her or a personal problem with her but just thought what she was doing was wrong and setting a bad example for her 6 children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Ive being told of people being reported of claiming social welfare fraud after a win on the lotto . and the people the reported where not even claim social welfare just pure jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

erica74 wrote: »
    The closest relative to me who was a welfare cheat was an Aunt and I reported her to the social welfare.
    She has 6 children and at that time she was working full time off the books so not paying any tax, earning very good money, while also claiming all the different allowances she could get, including rent allowance for a large house (for all her children) and she was also claiming Lone Parent's Allowance despite living with the father of 5 of the children and being in a relationship with him for 20+ years. He worked in a good job, getting good money (paying tax).
    She used to say that she wouldn't be able to afford all the stuff for her children without the social welfare money but she sure didn't think of that before getting pregnant 6 times.

Before anyone jumps in and tells me I'm horrible - just think of the children's allowance alone she received for her 6 children that she chose to have while living on social welfare?

I had no issue with her personally, never had a falling out with her or a personal problem with her but just thought what she was doing was wrong and setting a bad example for her 6 children.

Well who am I to judge. Who is anyone. So not going to judge you.

But one question comes to mind and that's did she know it was you who reported?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Yes.

Well who am I to judge. Who is anyone. So not going to judge you.

But one question comes to mind and that's did she know it was you who reported?

A truly judgemental post of the most devious kind... actually the reporting facility online is anonymous OF COURSE

• Advertisement

erica74 wrote: »

Thank you and well done. What a way to raise kids.. What an example to set them. Rather than teach them ways to manage money and still enjoy life?

Advertisement