Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report a social welfare cheat?

Options
  • 18-04-2017 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

I just spotted this article on thejournal - http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-social-welfare-cheats-3344358-Apr2017/

My answer is yes I would report a social welfare cheat.

Surely the system is severely broken if €14 million is being paid in fraudulent claims?
    How are these people doing it without being found out?

My own experience of the social welfare system is that even if you have a PPS number and a social services card, you still need to provide full ID and address verification and your application is combed through thoroughly. Is that not the case for every applicant?
    I know that when I have been unemployed and claiming a social welfare payment, I have never felt I could "get away" with claiming any sort of payment that I wasn't 100% entitled to and more often than not, had to jump through hoops to get what I was entitled to from my PRSI contributions.

Does anyone know if there is a breakdown available of the most common type of fraudulent claim?

What are your thoughts on social welfare cheats? Would you report someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes I would and indeed yes I have reported fraud AND tax evasion too..

Reminds me..... ;)

The new SAFE card system is supposed to be helping this .. but some folk are very clever at all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No question I would

erica74 wrote: »

Does anyone know if there is a breakdown available of the most common type of fraudulent claim?

https://www.welfare.ie/en/pressoffice/Pages/pr221216.aspxhttps://www.welfare.ie/en/pressoffice/Pages/pr221216.aspx

Type of report|Jan-Nov 2015|Jan-Nov 2016|Change
    Working & claiming|6,117|8,512|+39%
    Cohabitation|3,136|4,014|+28%
    Outside ROI|632|649|+3%
    Employer issue|386|599|+55%
    Other reasons|4,281|6,381|+49%

the overall rate of detection was up 39% y-o-y

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I notice a lot of this type of commentary on social media.

If it's a foreign looking or sounding person doing it (even if they're actually from here) -Deport them. Send them home.

If it's an Irish person doing it - Ah fair play to them, shure the bankers are all at it.

I wonder how many times the same person fits more than one category

• Advertisement

Why are all welfares not paid to bank account? The lines in my post office........................

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

No doubt some people will be along to say "No, you should mind your own business", getting indignant and enraged at those 'do-gooders' who report welfare fraud.

Welfare fraud costs each and every one of us who make contributions to the tax system. Service money is given away to fraudsters instead of being put to good use elsewhere. Now, the fact that there's a good chance any additional money in the system will be mismanaged is a topic for discussion another day!

If you know particular cases of welfare fraud, report it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There's a certain ethnic group that claim social welfare across several counties.
    I don't give a frak that they can't read or write. Signing your name should be mandatory and if you can't well no cheque. Also photo id should be mandatory.
    And yes to bank account. This whole post office thing is way out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I would report it at the drop of a hat. They are just robbing of the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MikeenRonanJr

It depends entirely on the circumstances. Someone who you'd have a fair idea is having a rough time financially and gets two under-the-table shifts a week at his cousin's bar? I wouldn't be too inclined to go through the hassle of it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Only if their TV was over 42".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Depends where they're spending it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No doubt some people will be along to say "No, you should mind your own business", getting indignant and enraged at those 'do-gooders' who report welfare fraud.

Welfare fraud costs each and every one of us who make contributions to the tax system. Service money is given away to fraudsters instead of being put to good use elsewhere. Now, the fact that there's a good chance any additional money in the system will be mismanaged is a topic for discussion another day!

If you know particular cases of welfare fraud, report it!

You honestly belevive the money will be "put to good use somewhere", I'm
    still laughing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It would depend on the circumstances for me. If I thought someone was genuinely struggling then no I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ezra Wibberley

You honestly belevive the money will be "put to good use somewhere", I'm
    still laughing.

Try reading that again;
    Now, the fact that there's a good chance any additional money in the system will be mismanaged is a topic for discussion another day!

Why are all welfares not paid to bank account? The lines in my post office........................

An Post would "love" you! They hate that we can do this.

And yes and mine go into my bank . But seeing the lines on Fridays, and that some old ones queue from soon after eight... they meet friends and it is an outing. Then they go and shop...a tradition...

Blazer wrote: »
    There's a certain ethnic group that claim social welfare across several counties.
    I don't give a frak that they can't read or write. Signing your name should be mandatory and if you can't well no cheque. Also photo id should be mandatory.

This is what the new SAFE card is aiming at..

see

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.301/79522/0/

Should sort some fraud out. You have to attend in person and they take a photo etc, as for a passport.

It depends entirely on the circumstances. Someone who you'd have a fair idea is having a rough time financially and gets two under-the-table shifts a week at his cousin's bar? I wouldn't be too inclined to go through the hassle of it tbh.

May be wrong but I thought there was for some benefits a small earnings allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Some payments like unemployment benefit (or whatever it's' exact term is) have to be collected to ensure that the receipient is in the state.

When you collect it you can have it in cash or have it paid directly into your bank account or a bit of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

I'm a 'casual worker' on a 3 day week and claiming a part payment - welfare cheats give all of us a bad name. I would definitely report anyone that I had knowledge about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

To my shock, more than 28% of respondents on that poll have said that they wouldn't report a SW cheat. What the hell is wrong with this country?

Obviously, it depends on the context. If the person is backed into a corner and struggling to make ends meet, it's maybe slightly different to the woman on One Parent Family Payment who is living with the father of the child who is bringing home €600 per week, which is inexcusable in my opinion and it is going on wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Depends on the situation, for example I would not report someone attending college and collecting payments. I don't know if this still happens, but I heard a few years ago about people getting caught doing this.

My reason for not reporting this is that this is that this person is clearly trying to better them self and not is staying at home all day etc, and will be paying taxes when they graduate college.

Depends on the situation, for example I would not report someone attending college and collecting payments. I don't know if this still happens, but I heard a few years ago about people getting caught doing this.

My reason for not reporting this is that this is that this person is clearly trying to better them self and not is staying at home all day etc, and will be paying taxes when they graduate college.

So? It is still cheating and a poor foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Graces7 wrote: »
    May be wrong but I thought there was for some benefits a small earnings allowed?

You're wrong. Kind of.

Mose people on benefits are allowed to work casually. But they have to report those earnings so their benefit can be adjusted. And the employer has to pay above the table and to do paperwork saying theres no full time job available.

The challenge with reporting theses cases is that you don't know who's cheating and whose not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

So if we all decide to give up work go back to school and collect the dole where will the money come from?

You're wrong. Kind of.

Mose people on benefits are allowed to work casually. But they have to report those earnings so their benefit can be adjusted. And the employer has to pay above the table and to do paperwork saying theres no full time job available.

The challenge with reporting theses cases is that you don't know who's cheating and whose not.

Thanks. I am out of touch and probably basing it on the UK. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Because it's easier to commit fraud then......

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

jenn1984 wrote: »
    I'm a 'casual worker' on a 3 day week and claiming a part payment - welfare cheats give all of us a bad name. I would definitely report anyone that I had knowledge about.

There will probably be people going "that Jenn one, you know she works while claiming the dole, I'm gonna report her"

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You're wrong. Kind of.

And you know what by asking for reports the state is now going to waste resources investigating cases like this :rolleyes:

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Blazer wrote: »

They actually don't as they can't. Post office means that the person has to be in the country to collect payment. Bank account means they need never be around.

Advertisement