Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report a social welfare cheat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

Sosurface wrote: »
    Anyone who would is a pure petty little coward. What satisfaction or benefit would you get from it like? Very few on social welfare payments are living anything like the lifestyle portrayed often on here by those its easy tell never had to experience anything like their circumstances.

Where do you think the money comes from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

RayM wrote: »
    .....................If I'm going to be a snitch, I'd rather not do it in a cowardly way, like some kind of little curtain-twitching weasel.

But you might get a nice badge from Stalin Leo that you can wear in private that says

#1 ШЕПТУН

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Allinall wrote: »

where do you think the money goes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

The same place where incompetent Garda Commissioners, corrupt Politicians, gobsh1te Taoisigh, county managers, county councillors, and other such luminaries get their perks and pensions from.

When we sort out that list I might then grass on an unmarried mother or a bloke doing a nixer.

where do you think the money goes .

That's irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

That's irrelevant.

no its not.
    basically the whole economy is just money moving around.
    giving people more money will help the econemy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

Anyone who would is a pure petty little coward. What satisfaction or benefit would you get from it like? Very few on social welfare payments are living anything like the lifestyle portrayed often on here by those its easy tell never had to experience anything like their circumstances.

Why should I stand by if someone is ripping of the taxpayer by fraudulently claiming disability, for example?

I would consider it my duty as good citizen to report such an individual. Same if I saw drug dealing.

no its not.
    basically the whole economy is just money moving around.
    giving people more money will help the econemy

Not true.

Money has to be generated from activity. Otherwise we could just print notes and all would be hunky dory.

The people and businesses that generate the money pay a finite amount of taxes, which we as a society decide how the limited resources are to be used.

Anyone who cheats the system is a thief, pure and simple .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

In Soviet Russia 1 in 3 people was a snitch, family member or not.
    Irish/Eire Government Want the People to Rat/Informer on one other like the did in Soviet East Germany in 1950s this is Domestic/Mass Surveillance to Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

When talking​ about welfare, people are apt to forget the net cost, and instead focus on the gross cost.

If you give more money to those on welfare, what do they spend it on?

Drink and fags of course. And maybe some petrol.

These are all highly taxable goods lest we forget.

So on a net cost basis, the cost​ is quite low. If you give that money to a richer person it just sits on deposit and doesn't​ circulate in the economy in the same way. Local jobs could be at risk. Etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Irish/Eire Government Want the People to Rat/Informer on one other like the did in Soviet East Germany in 1950s this is Domestic/Mass Surveillance to Me.

///

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

erica74 wrote: »
    Surely the system is severely broken if €14 million is being paid in fraudulent claims?

The total social welfare budget is just under 20,000,000,000 or 20 thousand millions.

If fraudulent claims account for only 14,000,000 of that then it's extremely efficient for a public service, and TBH, not worth the hassle of cost and time to increase the investigations.

Whatever they are already doing is obviously working.

The jobseekers benefit budget alone is 3,700,000,000 or 3,700 millions.

I would expect the waste in the HSE to exceed 14,000,000 each week.

The electronic voting machines debacle cost north of 50,000,000 and has an ongoing cost of an estimated 1,000,000 each year. For storage.

The Irish water farce has cost an estimated 1 billion and landed us with the MOAQ (Mother of all quangos) which will cost us God knows how much over the next few years.

The banking crisis will cost us at least 100,000,000,000 or 100,000 millions.

There are plenty of other examples.

My point: the public service have already got this covered, if the figures are correct.

Let's get the people in the social welfare who have the fraudulent claims down a miniscule figure (less than 0.1% of the total budget) working on significant budgetary problems!

I'm self employed, I'm lucky enough to never have had to claim social welfare, and I have no issue with people who are entitled to claim social welfare claiming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Obviously I'd report a thief. And anyone who overclaims is a thief.

TBH I'm not too happy with people getting long term social welfare at all.

I like the semi-privatised UK system where you have to jump through hoops to get your social.

If they implemented that here, and had targets to identify fraud, we'd save millions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Nope, still wouldn't be any of my business. It wouldn't make any difference to that situation in reality.

"In reality " the €6 billion SW budget has to be carved up in some way.
    If people who aren't entitled to it are getting it anyway, then that means there are people who are entitled to it getting less then they could have.
    That's "reality ".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

myshirt wrote: »
    When talking​ about welfare, people are apt to forget the net cost, and instead focus on the gross cost.

If you give more money to those on welfare, what do they spend it on?

Drink and fags of course. And maybe some petrol.

These are all highly taxable goods lest we forget.

So on a net cost basis, the cost​ is quite low. If you give that money to a richer person it just sits on deposit and doesn't​ circulate in the economy in the same way. Local jobs could be at risk. Etc etc.

I thought petrol went out with the glue?

I'd do it, I'd do it to their face. I'd get the satisfaction of there being a tiny bit of justice in the world, the satisfaction of a criminal being stopped.

And anyone caught doing it should have all benefits ended forever. Disability included.

They do it because they know nothing will happen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Glenster wrote: »
    I'd do it, I'd do it to their face. I'd get the satisfaction of there being a tiny bit of justice in the world, the satisfaction of a criminal being stopped.

And anyone caught doing it should have all benefits ended forever. Disability included.

I very much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I like the semi-privatised UK system where you have to jump through hoops to get your social.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Kev1001

The campaign and enforcement will probably cost close to the €14m estimated as being claimed fraudulently....

A lot of money getting spent questionably elsewhere.... it might not be right but given the low value I think this isn't a big deal - you will never have a perfect system. People will always cheat.

Most of the people scamming the system aren't well off anyway.

Don't people need to sign-on? Rotating the times will make it more difficult for people not living in Ireland/working to claim benefits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Donal55 wrote: »
    The same place where incompetent Garda Commissioners, corrupt Politicians, gobsh1te Taoisigh, county managers, county councillors, and other such luminaries get their perks and pensions from.

When we sort out that list I might then grass on an unmarried mother or a bloke doing a nixer.

This doesn't make any sense Donal. Where does the 6 billion for SW payments come from?
    Do you know or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

infogiver wrote: »
    If you want to live on a "how will this affect me" basis then that's your prerogative but SWs budget is €6 billion and a lot of people are either part or totally reliant on that money.
    If one person is taking more then their entitlement then someone else is doing without either totally or partially.
    That's how I see it

It's not good for the country because it adds a stigma to the poorest members of society. Most of the people on it need help. As we have seen 2/3 of the complaints have been groundless. I think most people would be averse to living in a society where people who are struggling are stigmatised further.

I wouldn't do it because I have zero idea what someone is going through in their life. If someone needs extra help for whatever then I havd no problem with it. A friend of mine was getting dole while working to get her and her kids away from her abusive husband. I'm not the sort of person who could report someone.

endacl wrote: »
    I, daniel blake

Seen it.

Some lad gets sick, cant be a carpenter anymore, refuses to look for other work, refuses to go on jobseekers allowance, is ungrateful when staff try and train him to use a computer. Later in the movie, after telling every official he can see that he cant do carpentry work, proceeds to do loads of carpentry work for some woman he meets.

"I'm not doing that or that or that, who do you think you are? I just want free money"
    -Daniel Blake

No question I would
    No doubt some people will be along to say "No, you should mind your own business", getting indignant and enraged at those 'do-gooders' who report welfare fraud.

Welfare fraud costs each and every one of us who make contributions to the tax system. Service money is given away to fraudsters instead of being put to good use elsewhere. Now, the fact that there's a good chance any additional money in the system will be mismanaged is a topic for discussion another day!

If you know particular cases of welfare fraud, report it!
    Winterlong wrote: »
    I would report it at the drop of a hat. They are just robbing of the rest of us.

Would you report them if they were a friend of yours?

I'd find it very hard to report a friend for not declaring payments received for work for tax/revenue purposes.

If it was tax evasion on a big scale I would- but a few odd jobs for cash here/there to make ends meet, I'd find that hard to report- I wouldn't make that my business.

Ireland 2017 you would be better off in a Mud Cabin and the Government would be still after you for Tax Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

And anyone caught doing it should have all benefits ended forever Disability included.

Crime would just go up.

You can never have zero loss/waste etc in something ongoing

Even in a corner sweetshop - like yer economics above - sooner or later a dog will run off with some of your stuff

You could spend all you money on dog-detecting cameras and spend all your tine watching them

Or you could go selling Apples too ( might be money in that )

Would you report them if they were a friend of yours?

I'd find it very hard to report a friend for not declaring payments received for work for tax/revenue purposes.

If it was tax evasion on a big scale I would- but a few odd jobs for cash here/there to make ends meet, I'd find that hard to report- I wouldn't make that my business.

You can pay all the extra taxes then.

Ireland 2017 you would be better off in a Mud Cabin and the Government would be still after you for Tax Water.

I presume you have planning permission for that mud cabin? :pac:

:D

You can pay all the extra taxes then.

I already am, apparently.

But I don't believe that the people posting here, who say EVERYONE should be reported, are including friends and close family. I just don't believe they would report someone they cared for.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Crime would just go up.

You can never have zero loss/waste etc in something ongoing

Even in a corner sweetshop - like yer economics above - sooner or later a dog will run off with some of your stuff

You could spend all you money on dog-detecting cameras and spend all your tine watching them

Or you could go selling Apples too ( might be money in that )

Its not a dog stealing something. Its a person.

They walk in every week and take a little bit of your stock.

Not only would you try and stop them but you'd be pretty p*ssed off if the other customers had seen it happening for weeks and hadn't told you about it. But still moaned at you every day because your prices were so high.

• Advertisement

I presume you have planning permission for that mud cabin? :pac:

:D
    That Is What it is all about Money. The Mud Cabin the will have find it first but no Thought the will with all the Rats Informers the have today.:D:)

Advertisement