Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report a social welfare cheat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I already am, apparently.

But I don't believe that the people posting here, who say EVERYONE should be reported, are including friends and close family. I just don't believe they would report someone they cared for.

Fair point.

I don't think I'd report someone in my own immediate family.

But no-one in my family would ever commit fraud, the shame of getting caught would be too much of a deterrent.

I'd report a cousin or an uncle or a friend all day long. And I'd never, ever get over what a dirtbag they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Glenster wrote: »
    Fair point.

I don't think I'd report someone in my own immediate family.

But no-one in my family would ever commit fraud, the shame of getting caught would be too much of a deterrent.

I'd report a cousin or an uncle or a friend all day long. And I'd never, ever get over what a dirtbag they were.

Glen your posts are indicative of the sort of person I don't want to become. You're a perfect advert for not reporting someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You wouldn't have next weeks lottery numbers since you can see into the future 20/20 like ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

But Rumor has it that the Social Welfare Department spy on people on Facebook.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Glen your posts are indicative of the sort of person I want to become. You're a perfect advert for not reporting someone.

OK.

Benefits are a safety net for people who are sick or between jobs or disabled or something.

And I don't have a problem paying into that, I think its an admirable system.

But if you see some dirtbag scamming that system and think "That's fine", I don't know how to deal with you.

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    You wouldn't have next weeks lottery numbers since you can see into the future 20/20 like ?

They wouldn't be the people I think they are is what I mean.

Fair point.

I think that's naive at best- if their circumstances changed drastically, you don't know what they are capable of- claim dole and do some odd jobs for cash in order to keep a roof over their head or become homeless?

So you would choose homelessness?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Allinall wrote: »
    Where do you think the money comes from?
    Unless you're a mega earner you barely cover the drain you yourself place on public services over your lifetime. What difference does it make to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'Snitches get stitches' lol

Tbh, I mind my own business & I appreciate when others mind theirs.

I think that's naive at best- if their circumstances changed drastically, you don't know what they are capable of- claim dole and do some odd jobs for cash in order to keep a roof over their head or become homeless?

So you would choose homelessness?

Either its right or its wrong to commit fraud.
    I say its wrong.

What sort of dire straights financially would you have to be in to justify murdering someone? Because once you've thrown morality out the window its just a case of setting your price.

• Advertisement

I mind my own business and appreciate it when others mind theirs

"Mr Asher Wooden Spectacle, you were walking by the canal when the sack of 25 babies was submerged, killing them all, could you identify the man with the sack? Is he in the courtroom today?"

"I mind my own business and appreciate it when others mind theirs"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Nah, to be honest it would just be too much hassle so I wouldn't be arsed.

Besides if they need to cheat the system they must be in a real bad financial way, poor guys. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

"Mr Makikomi, you were walking by the canal when the sack of 25 babies was submerged, killing them all, could you identify the man with the sack? Is he in the courtroom today?"

Comparing someone not reporting fraudulent social welfare claims to someone not giving evidence about a mass murder of 25 babies?

You should work for the Daily Mail!... :rolleyes:

I say its wrong.

What sort of dire straights financially would you have to be in to justify murdering someone? Because once you've thrown morality out the window its just a case of setting your price.

The Jews in Nazi Germany when their bank accounts & that started to be frozen & they needed to kill Nazi's to survive, that would justify murder..

I say its wrong.

I whole heartily agree with you on the point of fraud- it is certainly wrong. And I believe that the more people voice their view that it's wrong the better.

But as for reporting it to welfare/revenue, I think everyone has their own view on the circumstances under which they would report- it doesn't make them murderers or potential murderers though, if they don't report EVERY case. Besides, even you have said you wouldn't report immediate family. So where does that leave you on the murderer scale? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

"Mr Makikomi, you were walking by the canal when the sack of 25 babies was submerged, killing them all, could you identify the man with the sack? Is he in the courtroom today?"

25 babies vs people claiming dole when they shouldn't be....

People Working and Signing no Employers would not take the chance today maybe in the 1970s . but not today with Modern Technology I do not think this is happening anymore not in 2017.

I whole heartily agree with you on the point of fraud- it is certainly wrong. And I believe that the more people voice their view that it's wrong the better.

But as for reporting it to welfare/revenue, I think everyone has their own view on the circumstances under which they would report- it doesn't make them murderers or potential murderers though, if they don't report EVERY case. Besides, even you have said you wouldn't report immediate family. So where does that leave you on the murderer scale? :P

If your argument for not reporting is "I don't give enough of a **** about it to hassle myself" then fine, I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

But I don't understand you if your argument is that its not a wrong thing to do.

Or if its that people who are poor have to defraud the state sometimes.

People Working and Signing no Employers would not take the chance today maybe in the 1970s . but not today with Modern Technology I do not think this is happening anymore not in 2017.

Nope it doen't.

But there is a real problem with people throwing sacks of babies into rivers, fires & of mountains.

If your argument for not reporting is "I don't give enough of a **** about it to hassle myself" then fine, I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

But I don't understand you if your argument is that its not a wrong thing to do.

Or if its that people who are poor have to defraud the state sometimes.

it's certainly wrong in all cases, but understandable in some cases.

I'll tell you what I don't like- people who live their entire lives thinking ways of defrauding the state- and there's so many people like that, that they should be first in line for reporting, and not the people who are doing it out of necessity to survive.

• Advertisement

it's certainly wrong in all cases, but understandable in some cases.

I'll tell you what I don't like- people who live their entire lives thinking ways of defrauding the state- and there's so many people like that, that they should be first in line for reporting, and not the people who are doing it out of necessity to survive.

Its always understandable. People want money.

I could do with a bit more money, I'm not going to rob my place of work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,198 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thousands of people falsely claim JSA and OPF.

However, tax evasion tends to involve much bigger sums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Ireland 2017 you would be better off in a Mud Cabin and the Government would be still after you for Tax Water.

that's right this is the very same as a 3rd world country like Bangaladesh or Yemen.
    In fact people in Bangaladesh are better off than we are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tbh, I mind my own business & I appreciate when others mind theirs.

Not saying I'd inform but to say it's not your business is bollox, quite frankly. It literally is your business if you pay tax. Why should you pay for someone to fraudulently avail of money they're not entitled to and , in some cases, earn on top of it also. Nah, they take my money (and yours I assume) and give it to someone who's not entitled to it, you can bet your ass I'm considering it my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It's never going to be acceptable to do something about the frauds, is it? People don't even want to admit they exist. From the trailer, ''I, Daniel Blake'' looks like a biased attempt to demonise the Social Welfare people and paint claimants as victims. I don't dispute that it's not easy for many people, and yes there are bigger fish, but it's not fair that people take the **** either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭mikeecho

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

add a poll... I might vote no

• Registered Users Posts: 35,872 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What about people who are entitled to social welfare but don't wish to get it ? What would you call these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I'd say it depends to an extent on the level. If Paddy down the road has been out of work for a while does the odd bit of painting and people throw him a few euro I'm not too bothered, like a waiter not declaring their tips to the tax man. However if Paddy is heading out in his van loaded with gear every couple of days then that's a different kettle of magnolia. If that makes me a hypocrite to some people on here then so be it

I know a lot of people and I can say I do not know any one working and Signing on . But I do know it did go on in 1970s and 1980s in the most Disadvantaged urban areas of Ireland. Deprivation was wide spread Charles Dickinson would not get a look in. A man would say have 7 Children and there Father Might Clean Chimney for five pound and with that money he would buy sum Food for his Children.

• Advertisement

Leo Varadkar Salary Is?

Advertisement