Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you report a social welfare cheat?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭jenn1984

There will probably be people going "that Jenn one, you know she works while claiming the dole, I'm gonna report her"

I know people like that exist - a combination of ignorance and downright meanness. I know I have nothing to hide but I'd be p**d off to have to deal with being reported when I have nothing to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

And will Leo provide you with new kneecaps if you pick the wrong person to report ?

He seemed to run away from the billion+ euro losses in the HSE due to mistakes:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/claims-against-hse-soar-in-5-years-329877.html

The cost of mistakes made within healthcare settings is already huge. The State Claims Agency (SCA) has reported it had more than 3,000 claims on hand at the end of 2013, arising from medical errors alone and was expecting payouts to run to €1bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No doubt some people will be along to say "No, you should mind your own business", getting indignant and enraged at those 'do-gooders' who report welfare fraud.

Welfare fraud costs each and every one of us who make contributions to the tax system. Service money is given away to fraudsters instead of being put to good use elsewhere. Now, the fact that there's a good chance any additional money in the system will be mismanaged is a topic for discussion another day!

If you know particular cases of welfare fraud, report it!

As opposed to some people getting all indignant and enraged at those who... well, don't? Genuinely I couldn't be bothered as I have more things to be concerned with than my neighbours lifestyles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

No I wouldn't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

infogiver wrote: »
    So if we all decide to give up work go back to school and collect the dole where will the money come from?

I'm saying if someone is already on the dole and want's to better themselves by going to college and getting a degree...

Do you think it would be better for them to sit on their ass for 3 years collecting dole, and then go to college? Because I think they are entitled to back to education allowance after 2 or 3years on the dole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0418/868427-welfare-fraud/
    RTE has it that there were 20,000 reports of welfare fraud but only 1 in 3 resulted in payments being reduced or stopped. So, bearing in mind that Welfare will claim back an over payment, this means that 2/3rds of reports were found to be groundless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

gctest50 wrote: »
    And will Leo provide you with new kneecaps if you pick the wrong person to report ?

He seemed to run away from the billion+ euro losses in the HSE due to mistakes:
    You can report anonymously on line

I'm saying if someone is already on the dole and want's to better themselves by going to college and getting a degree...

Do you think it would be better for them to sit on their ass for 3 years collecting dole, and then go to college? Because I think they are entitled to back to education allowance after 2 or 3years on the dole
    9 months on JSA will qualify you for the BTEA at the same rate as your dole payment.

9 months on JSA will qualify you for the BTEA at the same rate as your dole payment.

Ah thanks, I could've swore I heard it was 2 years

It's 2 years for Illness Benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

think what needs to be abolished is if someone turned 18 with no work experience and contributions shouldnt be allowed onto register,make it mandatory 5-10years work before one would be eligible,to eliminate those of who are breed to just be on it for life.

And secondly depending on contributions there should be councils that provide work be it trash picking bins,general community contribution in return,to get people out of home and into world.

Since seems general attitude from people is if you cant find work where you live move -meaning most expensive capita in the world,goverment sees it as we will hire outside agents who will put you into any job as long as your gone.

And with all this most towns in country look like kips, where id imagine councils wouldnt complain if had several dozen people on rotating basis contributing for wf to at least make some clean changes on daily basis,in other words supply those on welfare with low skilled assignments,rather then just free handout.

Thus in such case people would actually notice difference be it side roads clear of trash or clean towns every day,not just few people crew doing whole town after each weekend when its trashed to the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Remind me of how much we wrote off for the banks?
    The tab we picked up for the Religious Institutions? And we build them a new hospital!!!

Seems like we are looking down on some while turning a blind eye to others.

I don't like welfare fraud but it's small fry compared to other areas of government wastage

2 years of Illness Benefit

scamalert wrote: »
    think what needs to be abolished is if someone turned 18 with no work experience and contributions shouldnt be allowed onto register,make it mandatory 5-10years work before one would be eligible,to eliminate those of who are breed to just be on it for life.

Yeah **** over the young people even more, it's not like young people in this country are not already ****ed over, with car insurance etc

snowflaker wrote: »
    The tab we picked up for the Religious Institutions? And we build them a new hospital!!!

I don't like welfare fraud but it's small fry compared to other areas of government wastage

Is the hospital for the religious order or patients to be treated in?
    I think you probably don't have any problem with welfare fraud at all because you don't care that the taxpayer is footing the bill and you don't realise that other citizens (like home Carers and the disabled) are having to do without services that could make their lives easier because SW scammers are stealing the money out of their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

https://www.welfare.ie/en/pressoffice/Pages/pr221216.aspxhttps://www.welfare.ie/en/pressoffice/Pages/pr221216.aspx

Type of report|Jan-Nov 2015|Jan-Nov 2016|Change
    Working & claiming|6,117|8,512|+39%
    Cohabitation|3,136|4,014|+28%
    Outside ROI|632|649|+3%
    Employer issue|386|599|+55%
    Other reasons|4,281|6,381|+49%

the overall rate of detection was up 39% y-o-y

Rate of detection remains unknown. It might as well dropped while the number of detected cases went up...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

snowflaker wrote: »

FG promising to fight €13bn due to the taxpayer from Apple. :rolleyes:

Politicians allowed claim €160 a night unvouched for turning up for work. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I would but with the sense of it not making a real difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

jenn1984 wrote: »
    I know people like that exist - a combination of ignorance and downright meanness. I know I have nothing to hide but I'd be p**d off to have to deal with being reported when I have nothing to hide.

We all know they exist. Can't understand why government is wasting money feeding into the mean mindedness of people like that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,928 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0418/868427-welfare-fraud/
    RTE has it that there were 20,000 reports of welfare fraud but only 1 in 3 resulted in payments being reduced or stopped. So, bearing in mind that Welfare will claim back an over payment, this means that 2/3rds of reports were found to be groundless.

So why waste resources setting up this new system?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

infogiver wrote: »
    Is the hospital for the religious order or patients to be treated in?
    I think you probably don't have any problem with welfare fraud at all because you don't care that the taxpayer is footing the bill and you don't realise that other citizens (like home Carers and the disabled) are having to do without services that could make their lives easier because SW scammers are stealing the money out of their pockets.

I am a PAYE single taxpayer so a lot of my money goes on tax.

3% of SW payments are fraudulent- that compares well internationally

It's small fry in comparison to tax evasion on a grand scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I used to do the odd nixer. €50 every few months for doing a quick job, meh, what about it.

Anyway, to answer, no I wouldn't. I know a few who do bits and pieces on the side and I've no interest in reporting them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Dublin Pintman

Would depend. Someone doing a cash in hand gig on the side? No. Someone claiming two dole cheques or claiming disability. Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No, I wouldn't do it. I was living with a fella before who was getting the dole but also had a full time job in a bar where he was earning about €400ish a week. Cash in hand. He used to spend his money on cocaine and expensive gadgets. Used to seriously piss me off!

I couldn't report him. Even-though what he was doing was wrong I still felt like it was none of my business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

I have a friend (early 30s) who is terminally ill who is pretending that her partner is just her housemate in order to claim illness benefit. Despite not getting any tax credits for people a couple, social welfare considers them a couple when it suits. She had to completely give up work when she was diagnosed with cancer and living with her partner would mean they would be jointly assessed and would not qualify for benefits. He doesn't have a high salary, the threshold is criminally low. If they had to live on his salary, they'd be in dire straits financially indeed in addition to the stress of coping with her having an illness that has gruelling treatments and that will kill her in a few short years. They can't get married either, even though they want to. Getting married would throw them into poverty. Because she is quite young, she doesn't have a huge amount of savings. I was really shocked at the lack of support terminally ill people who are in a couple get in this country. A single terminally ill person would be much better off financially or someone who isn't living with their partner but in a househare instead. She gets free travel and a medical card but they don't pay the every day bills.

Anyone who would report the above couple is just an asshole, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I got my qualifications through FAS and a girl I went to college with got reported for "working from home" because she was doing treatments on family and friends for free to get the experience. All with equipment and products she paid for herself or borrowed from college. She had to go through a whole investigation and nearly lost her place on the course a month or 2 before exams.

I know there are people who absolutely mince the system out of it, but you'd want to be sure you have your facts right before getting someone in trouble.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    No, I wouldn't do it. I was living with a fella before who was getting the dole but also had a full time job in a bar where he was earning about €400ish a week. Cash in hand. He used to spend his money on cocaine and expensive gadgets. Used to seriously piss me off!

I couldn't report him. Even-though what he was doing was wrong I still felt like it was none of my business.

It's certainly none of your business if your on the dole yourself.
    It's your business if you can only get 2 hours home help for your mother because there's no money due to scumbags working and stealing money at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Yes unless they give me a cut of the profits. I earn a fortune blackmailing people like this. I just bought a new television, a car and a dog from my earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

No.

Despite some people's mantra that single parents and dole recipients are milking it (big TVs, fancy foreign holidays etc.), I don't know anyone on welfare who lives like that.
    Most of these people are just getting by in life and you'd want to be a mean minded enough person to pick up a phone and report someone, not knowing what their situation may be.

It won't change your life for the better, so why make someone else's worse? If the government are so worried about fraud, let them do their own detective work instead of encouraging neighbours to spy on each other and pick up phones. I'd wager many of these phone calls are made out of pure malice too...nothing to do with civic mindedness.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Absolutely not.

Advertisement