Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 210 - Cormier vs. Johnson 2 - Sun April 9th- 3am Main Card GMT

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 BigBulldog

Looked like rumble was done before he even came to fight. Just wanted one last payday. Weird that his coaches abandoned him. Must have known he discarded the gameplan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Cormier by Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Thought Joe Rogan was a disgrace in his lambasting of Miragliotta during the Weidman fight.

It looked in real time that Weidman's hands were both down so it was a legit break in the action before any replays were shown.

i don't think Miragliotta is the best ref but to go off on him like that was a bit dickish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Johnson by Submission
    Weidman tried to draw the foul and was outsmarted.

If he couldnt answer questions doctors were right to stop but is the ref decison final? He stoppedit for illegal knees

Was a sh*tshow as noone seemed to really know what was or shuld have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Shouldn't have interviewed the Chris after, Joe put him in a bad spot when he was clearly concussed.

Some good fights on the card, shame that the big ones were such a let down.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Cormier by Submission
    Ref had absolutely no right to look at the replay, they should have an official cageside with monitors to give instant info through the refs ear what was legal and not in every state.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I bloody hate when exciting fighters make their way up the ranks only to disappoint in title fights

That's twice it's happened with Rumble and Wonderboy, and similar with Hendricks he changed after the GSP fight

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Lukker- wrote: »
    Shouldn't have interviewed the Chris after, Joe put him in a bad spot when he was clearly concussed.

Was he definitely concussed though? I thought Chris seemed fine in the interview. He said he believed they illegal. Joe showed him that they weren't on the big screen. Chris admitted he was wrong and simply seemed to just be saying the fight shouldn't have been called.

The transcript from the audio seems to suggest the doctors felt he was concussed, but it looked to me like he was making the most of recovery time. Once he realised the knees weren't illegal he seemed to want the fight to start again. I know the doctors have to make a quick call, but I think they were maybe mislead by his initial reaction.

As has already been said there should be someone cageide watching the video, and they should be able to communicate instantly with the ref by ear piece or whatever. If the ref makes a mistake, which can happen, the person cagesode should tell the ref. Then reset the fighters and start again. The doctors should only be called on if the ref feels the fighter can continue, but may not be medically safe to do so due to a cut, or if it's between rounds a concussion. But this fight wasn't stopped for either of those reasons, it was because of a possible foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Cormier by Decision
    Fell asleep for the guts of the card except main & co-main. What were the best fights worth a rewatch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

BigBulldog wrote: »
    Looked like rumble was done before he even came to fight. Just wanted one last payday. Weird that his coaches abandoned him. Must have known he discarded the gameplan

Yes his coaches were p*ssed at him for constantly grappling. They obviously did not want him to do it. Here is the transcript from the corner audio

Round 1
    Voice: Take your time. Nice. Take your time. Don't take him down.

Hooft: Don't wrestle him.

Voice: If you're going to go, go single.

Hooft: You don't have to wrestle him, AJ. Just relax.

Voice: Don't wrestle him.

Hooft: Get out of there. Get out of there.

Grappling coach Neil Melanson: OK, stud. Now, let's get your hands hot.

Voice: Why is he wrestling him?

Hooft: This is stupid.

Voice: Why is he wrestling him?

Hooft: (Expletive) it, man. Just get off the cage.

Voice: Get out of there.

Voice: Why isn't he listening?

(Johnson and Cormier are broken up by referee John McCarthy, and Johnson lands kicks.)

Voice: He's tired already, DC. He doesn't need to do this.

Voice: Why isn't he listening?

Hooft: I don't know why he's doing that. We have no (expletive) eyes.

Break between Round 1 and Round 2
    Hooft: Can you tell me why you're wrestling? Now, you're not going to wrestle. You take your distance. Stay away, two steps away. Why are you so worried about everything? The kicks and the knees are really good, but no kicks. Where's your hands?

Voice: You're doing great. Don't (expletive) wrestle him.

Hooft: If you stand your distance, it's an easy game. Why make it difficult?

Round 2
    Hooft: Movement. Athletic. Movement. That's it. Take your distance.

(Johnson reverses against the cage and goes for another takedown)

Hooft: You need distance.

Hooft: I'm not saying nothing.

(Cormier has Johnson on the mat and is setting up a choke)

Hooft: It's going the same as last time.

(Johnson submits to Cormier via rear-naked choke)

Hooft: Why, why the (expletive) does this happen every (expletive) time, man? Crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cormier by Decision
    DC is a animal of a man. Feel bad for mousassi getting the win in that circumstance. Think if the fight went on mousassi would of got the clean finish. Was a great scrap i thought until the finish of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Weidman got caught trying to play the system. I'm delighted for him. And now he is going to appeal it. There isn't a hope of it being overturned.

Cormier by Submission
    Rumble not caring about towel gate and then the game plan goes along with the idea he was planning on retiring, one last payday is all it was to him half assed effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

lertsnim wrote: »
    Weidman got caught trying to play the system. I'm delighted for him. And now he is going to appeal it. There isn't a hope of it being overturned.

He either got rocked and the fight was stopped justly

Or he faked the extent of the damage to get time off and feck him if he done that

Hope it doesn't get turned over, he can feck with this playing the rules crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Johnson by KO/TKO
    According to Mousasi he felt Weidman was tiring due to the takedowns/attempted takedowns I suppose the knees were delivered after stuffing him. The video replay suggested Mousasi lifts Weidman so he can't use the tactic delivers 2nd knee either way he wasn't downed.

Seemed Weidman was buying the recovery time but urgency kicked it when it was known knee was deemed legal.

I'd like to run it back it was intriguing but I don't believe they will a potential 4th loss in a row doesn't make sense for Chris and for Gegard he's 8-1 since losing to Jacare and he avenged that one. He's likely to get more on his payslip but he's a certainly a problem child of theirs like Romero so pairing them up seems just too good, shame GSP is mucking around in this division now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Agree but there would have been a riot if they didn't let Chris speak after it looking like he was just robbed by a combination of an incompetent referee and a clueless commission. Tough spot for Rogan because he's taking his orders from Dana who gives them to the truck.

One thing is for sure, Weidman has taken an absolute hiding in his last 3 fights. Rockhold beat the living crap out of him, Romero lodged his knee in his head and now Mousasi lands 2 devastating knees on top of the hardest punches of the contest.

He needs an unranked opponent next or his career is going to be over very soon if he keeps taking these beatings. It's not enough to say "oh well he won Round 1 in all 3 fights....." - it's the fact that after Round 1 in all 3 fights he took an absolute battering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Johnson by KO/TKO
    Agree but there would have been a riot if they didn't let Chris speak after it looking like he was just robbed by a combination of an incompetent referee and a clueless commission. Tough spot for Rogan because he's taking his orders from Dana who gives them to the truck.

Ah the ref made a mistake in a split moment, the scenario was odd so the call to be made would have been to resume the action, however ultimately it was a qualified doctor who rendered Weidman unfit to continue no matter how hasty the ref or the commission Rogan for that matter were.

With that said arguably the only thing Weidman was robbed of was a few more blows to the dome :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Johnson by KO/TKO
    It's not Miragliotas first bit of controversy the bald rat. It's all his fault. Moussasi doesn't deserve the booing
    What else was he at fault for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gamb!t wrote: »
    What else was he at fault for ?

I actually think the ref is (almost) blameless here.

It's like the offside rule in football. It's impossible for a linesman to focus their eyes simultaneously at the ball being kicked and the position of the most forward-attacker. The best they can do is a split-second judgement of the situation. Exact same here. Physically impossible to focus on both the palms of his hands and the knee connecting with the chin simultaneously. A judgement call is all he can offer.

The real question is this:

Is John McCarthy allowed to over-rule the ref? If not, then Miragliotta should have stuck to his original ruling and awarded a DQ victory to Weidman. It would have been over-turned on appeal (for sure) but that was the initial call.

That's a regulatory and rules problem though not a ref's problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well done DC, I hope he's enjoying his day off

nfH3oT.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

empacher wrote: »
    DC cant have long left either. 38 needs to get as many fights in as possible in the next 2 years.

He's going to be in a wheelchair soon though all that training over the last 25 years. His body must be running on fumes. Man will be built out of titanium when they replace all his joints.

Manuwa, Jones, Maybe a crack at the HW belt win or lose. As many Huge paydays as possible.
    He won't get away with leaning on a towel again, he'll be tired and
    Jon jones will hurt him

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Johnson by Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    What a shambles. I hate when fighters try and touch the ground to draw the foul, you fully deserve a knee in the head for doing that. Then Rumble goes out on that performance, so disappointing as he's such a beast. Both of them looked wrecked, the bad cuts must have played a part.

I'd imagine most of the time fighter putting a hand/hands to the mat are doing to protect themselves rather than bait the DQ.
    In the past when it was any 3 points, they were just protecting themselves. It was a bad rule, but they were right to utilise it.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Ref had absolutely no right to look at the replay, they should have an official cageside with monitors to give instant info through the refs ear what was legal and not in every state.

They have a regulatory official at cage side already. Big John should have been straight onto the video when it was stopped.

A bit ridiculous to say the ref had no right to check the tape. What's the logic there.

The real question is this:

Is John McCarthy allowed to over-rule the ref? If not, then Miragliotta should have stuck to his original ruling and awarded a DQ victory to Weidman. It would have been over-turned on appeal (for sure) but that was the initial call.

John didn't over-rule the ref. Dan consulted John who had tape access. It's still Dan's decision. I imagine you've read the transcript.
    Why should Miragliotta have stuck to the original decision?
    Sounds like you're trying to fabricate a no contest tbh

Cormier by Submission
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'd imagine most of the time fighter putting a hand/hands to the mat are doing to protect themselves rather than bait the DQ.
    In the past when it was any 3 points, they were just protecting themselves. It was a bad rule, but they were right to utilise it.

They have a regulatory official at cage side already. Big John should have been straight onto the video when it was stopped.

A bit ridiculous to say the ref had no right to check the tape. What's the logic there.

John didn't over-rule the ref. Dan consulted John who had tape access. It's still Dan's decision. I imagine you've read the transcript.
    Why should Miragliotta have stuck to the original decision?
    Sounds like you're trying to fabricate a no contest tbh

Logic is sticking to the rules, I get it was the right thing but its against the rules to use video evidence by the ref, should've had no part in the incident either should John McCarthy, you either use video evidence for all fights and incidents in every state and commision or not.

Johnson by Submission
    Logic is sticking to the rules, I get it was the right thing but its against the rules to use video evidence by the ref, should've had no part in the incident either should John McCarthy, you either use video evidence for all fights and incidents in every state and commision or not.

It against the rules? If that's the case, then obviously he had no grounds to check the tape. Where is the rule that states that?
    Not being used for all fights and all situations isn't the same as being against the rules. Slight, but important difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Feeling very bad for DC. He needed a motivated Rumble to come and give him a great fight, then he could earn respect from weathering the storm that others can't.

With the way Rumble fought I don't think we learned a single thing about DC from that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »

It against the rules? If that's the case, then obviously he had no grounds to check the tape. Where is the rule that states that?
    Not being used for all fights and all situations isn't the same as being against the rules. Slight, but important difference
    It's against the rules, Dana said it post fight. It's in every commissions rule set that you can't use replays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Why did UFC put monitors next to ref's in the external seats at cage set then? I remember a couple of years ago he put monitors to help with scoring. Surely they show replays?

My feelings on this are clear, The knee was good, at one point in the fight Chris thought it was illegal and he clearly felt his best approach to get out of this with a W was to say he was hurt badly. He played his move and when he realized it was legal he got up and pissed off that he wasn't allowed to compete. Gegard the loser here as the W is tainted. Hopefully he gets his title shot or an eliminator when they finally decide to clean up this mess they have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

lertsnim wrote: »

I would say he has a great chance. Making decisions based on video replays are banned by the New York State Athletic Commission's rules. Since the ref ruled it as an illegal knee in real-time it's hard to see how they can make the case that Mousasi legally won the fight.
    Rumble not caring about towel gate and then the game plan goes along with the idea he was planning on retiring, one last payday is all it was to him half assed effort.

Yeah really disappointing effort. In retrospect his heart wasn't in it. It was apparent in the build up that himself and DC have a lot of time for each other. This was refreshing to see instead of the usual tired old fake animosity that we're used to seeing (look no further than the recent Haye-Bellow boxing match for the very worst of this). The thing is though looking back at it, it was as if he liked DC too much and went out of his way not to hurt him. No danger of that happening with Jon Jones anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

If I remember correctly there was a half blocked overhand, once Rumble felt that he gave up and waited to be finished on ground, offering back instead of taking any significant damage.

• Advertisement

Johnson by Submission
    It's against the rules, Dana said it post fight. It's in every commissions rule set that you can't use replays.
    I've seen that posted a few times. But I can't find it listed anywhere. Dana said so is hardly proof. I'm pretty sure that it's allowed in Vegas for example.
    And the ABCB/Unified rules voted to include it in Feb.

I'm not saying it is or isn't allowed in NYC btw. Just curious where the rule comes from.

Advertisement