Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 210 - Cormier vs. Johnson 2 - Sun April 9th- 3am Main Card GMT

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Cormier by Submission
    Was there cameras on the scale at all times?

Dc 1.2lb over, comes back 2mins later bang on 205 then rumble walks in looking like death exactly 1.2lb UNDER?

That is some coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cormier by Decision
    Mad shtuff altogether. Brett Okamato said he clearly saw DC lean on the towel but NYSAC say he didn't.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/850369986094923776

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cormier by Decision
    These weigh-ins are becoming too dramatic

Cormier by Decision
    Ariel's commentary is gas.

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/850372132873936897

Media grilling NYSAC about the towel :pac:

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/850373152811225089

Cormier by Decision
    And the dramatics keep on coming

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/850374287508865026

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cormier by Decision
    Reckon the jury fight or usman fight will be bumped up to main.

What a shocking rule for female fighters

Cormier by Submission
    Miesha fought in msg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

D.Q wrote: »
    Who cares what happened, we're getting a fight

So would you care if Khabib stepped on the scale at 161lbs at UFC 209 and leaned on a towel to get down to 155lbs? How about 158lbs and lifted his heel off the scale by a fraction to make it? Is it because it was only 1.2lbs that you don't care? Johny Hendricks forfeited $60,000 for missing weight by 0.25lbs for UFC 200 yet DC cheats his way into weight and forfeits nothing.

How is that fair?

I get as a fan, on some levels, we shouldn't care because we get a title fight. I also get as a fan we should care that the rules are applied fairly to everyone otherwise it becomes a farce where fighters can rock up overweight and, if the card depends on them, the UFC or Commission will rig a way for them to make weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gamebred wrote: »
    Miesha fought in msg?

Probably didn't disclose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Lean on the towel when you can't make weight. That's farcical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Johnson by Submission
    Towelie_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

One theory doing the rounds was that he made himself get sick out the back.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Apparently its now on again!

Gintonious wrote: »
    One theory doing the rounds was that he made himself get sick out the back.

How on Earth do you puke exactly 1.2 lbs in under 2 minutes? It would SURELY take longer than 2 mins and they'd need a kitchen scales to puke into to weigh it.

Also, why was Rumble sweating like a pig when he weighed in? If he was 203.8lbs why was he dripping sweat? These are professional athletes they don't cut an extra 1.2lbs if there's no need to do that.

The whole thing screams shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Johnson by KO/TKO
    Django99 wrote: »
    What do ye reckon about that? Very suspicious
    Enough time to take a whizz :D

Cormier by Decision
    Gintonious wrote: »
    Apparently its now on again!

Really glad it's back on, the NYSAC will have to have a serious chat with themselves after this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Cormier by Decision
    The whole thing is a complete farce and tbh it doesn't deserve to be a mainstream sport when shenanigans like this still go on.

How on Earth do you puke exactly 1.2 lbs in under 2 minutes? It would SURELY take longer than 2 mins and they'd need a kitchen scales to puke into to weigh it.

Also, why was Rumble sweating like a pig when he weighed in? If he was 203.8lbs why was he dripping sweat? These are professional athletes they don't cut an extra 1.2lbs if there's no need to do that.

The whole thing screams shenanigans.

I don't believe it myself, I was sick last week and lost a lot of weight, but I was not preparing for a fight, I would imagine he had nothing in his stomach at this point as well.

No one is letting this go anyway. Very sneaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

qwabercd wrote: »
    The whole thing is a complete farce and tbh it doesn't deserve to be a mainstream sport when shenanigans like this still go on.
    Yes, because all other sports are legit and nothing dodge ever happens in them..

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Having rewatched it he definitely pushed down the towel. It couldn't be clearer.

At the ceremonial weigh he in he said Rogan that he's going to win this and then move on with his career. I might be reading too much into it but maybe he plans to vacate and move to Heavyweight? Cain is basically done by the looks of it so that's no longer an issue. He's had 2 very bad weight cuts in his last two fights now.

• Advertisement

Cormier by Submission
    The amount of fat on him plenty weight there to lose, has absolutely no excuse cant keep the burgers out his mouth, in light of the poor weight cut I've decided to take Rumble to ko his ass very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Such bull****, he didn't hold it for the first weigh in. He pushed the towel down too.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Yes, because all other sports are legit and nothing dodge ever happens in them..

Athletics had a real opportunity to break into the Mainstream in North America in the 1980's. Carl Lewis was a shining star. Scandals and shenanigans ruined any momentum the sport had.

To break into that North American mainstream market is nigh-on-impossible but to do it any sport needs credibility. It doesn't matter if the NFL has dodgy incidents (Deflate Gate) or MLB (steroids) or NBA (e.g. suspicion of corrupt refereeing 2002 Lakers v Kings) because they are already in the Mainstream.

Shenanigans like Brock Lesnar at UFC 200 or fiddling around with weights at weigh-ins or having 'corrupt' Judges like Doug Crosby, it's just stuff the sport could do without. That's IF they actually believe or aspire to crack the mainstream. If they don't, then who cares.

Anyway I'm not buying DC's "junk" explanation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Cormier by Decision

Did i say that?

DC asked how he lost 1.2lbs in 2 mins:

"I told them: your scale is wrong, can I weigh again? When I was notified afterwards that I would have had 2 hours to make weight, I would have made weight either way so it doesn't matter. I told them the scale is wrong, I was on weight and now I'm a little bit heavy, I want to weigh again".

In short:

He walked out of the room. Walked back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dc 1.2 over, rumble 1.2 under its obvious what happened. Cant wait to see his face get caved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

That was an absolute joke. I read the comments before looking at the video and couldn't understand how somebody could push down on a towel to make themselves lighter. But the two officials were clearly holding it up high while he was pushing down on it hard.

Also, were they NYSAC or UFC officials holding the towel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

Johnson by Submission

The classic Boards response.

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Johnson by KO/TKO
    So would you care if Khabib stepped on the scale at 161lbs at UFC 209 and leaned on a towel to get down to 155lbs? How about 158lbs and lifted his heel off the scale by a fraction to make it? Is it because it was only 1.2lbs that you don't care? Johny Hendricks forfeited $60,000 for missing weight by 0.25lbs for UFC 200 yet DC cheats his way into weight and forfeits nothing.

How is that fair?

I get as a fan, on some levels, we shouldn't care because we get a title fight. I also get as a fan we should care that the rules are applied fairly to everyone otherwise it becomes a farce where fighters can rock up overweight and, if the card depends on them, the UFC or Commission will rig a way for them to make weight.

I'm not saying its fair. I totally get your point and understand where you're coming from.

But at the the same time, I would have been sickened if this was called off. So as a spectator, I'm relieved it is going ahead. And its not like that 1.2lbs will make a difference.

I think these recent weigh ins are indicative of a clear problem with the current rules. They need to change.

Advertisement