Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 210 - Cormier vs. Johnson 2 - Sun April 9th- 3am Main Card GMT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

WOW holy ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Cormier by Submission
    No one thinks hes actually retiring do they? be back this year I would guess.

Cormier by Submission
    Worse than wrestling this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,374 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Johnson by KO/TKO
    The silver lining is that Jones will verbally destroy DC for another few months. I like Cormier but he is some idiot when it comes to trash talk.

martyos121 wrote: »
    The silver lining is that Jones will verbally destroy DC for another few months. I like Cormier but he is some idiot when it comes to trash talk.
    I usually find it a lot worse that a hit and run coke snorting scumbag talking ****. D.C. Looking for the manuwa fight

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    I usually find it a lot worse that a hit and run coke snorting scumbag talking ****. D.C. Looking for the manuwa fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Johnson by Submission
    DC calling out manuwa with jones there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

What a weird night

Cormier by Submission
    Happy DC won, he is a gentleman and a good representative of the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

DC wants a quick turn around. Because of Jones being a tool and then getting injured in December he's only fought twice in two years so he wants another pay day before Jones is back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

DC calling out manuwa with jones there.

Jones last fight was a shocker and he's ineligible til July at best.

DC is right to call out Jimi and get another defence in.

Cormier by Submission
    Before Jones comes back and takes the belt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cormier by Decision
    Easy nights pay for DC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

That was one bizarre fight and interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Cormier by Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Not sure how DC is 5/4 in running here, Rumble has no chance.

And then moving to 6/4 what fight were they watching he was being wrestled against the cage madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BTW Rumble is going to work as a youth pastor in a church in Georgia. You heard it here first.

Cormier by Submission
    Will fight again by this time next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Cormier by Decision
    BTW Rumble is going to work as a youth pastor as a church in Georgia. You heard it here first.

Fair play to him. If its what he wants to do then so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Why in gods name does a heavy handed knockout artist try and grapple with an Olympic wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,374 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Johnson by KO/TKO
    If Rumble stays true to his word, I have a lot of respect for him getting out with relatively good health. I'd imagine the damage he did to himself cutting to 170 in the past has shortened his career.

• Advertisement

Cormier by Submission
    205lb division literally has Jones DC Manuwa and Gus, all fought each other nearly too, state of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Just seeing the fights now. Sad to see Rumble go his latest run was epic, looked so scary.

The ending to the Mousasi fight was obviously ridiculous. They should have just watched the big screen, see that the knees were legal and reset them. New York has been an absolute joke of a commission so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Django99 wrote: »
    Just seeing the fights now. Sad to see Rumble go his latest run was epic, looked so scary.

The ending to the Mousasi fight was obviously ridiculous. They should have just watched the big screen, see that the knees were legal and reset them. New York has been an absolute joke of a commission so far.

Watching it again the reaction from wall cw was grab the temple and sit Down on he'd been really hurt once time was called
    Then to be told it was legal and suddenly he's ok
    He brought it on himself

Tigger wrote: »
    Watching it again the reaction from wall cw was grab the temple and sit Down on he'd been really hurt once time was called
    Then to be told it was legal and suddenly he's ok
    He brought it on himself

Yeah that's true he was trying to draw the foul, but the ref should still have corrected the mistake as soon as he realised.

I'd like to see a rematch though, it was a good fight up until the finish and it was hard to see who was going to win. There's a big log jam in the division anyway so it would do Mousasi no harm to take the fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Johnson by KO/TKO
    We had the benefit and the luxury of multiple slow motion freeze frame replays in extreme close up showing that there was a few millimetre's of air between hand and ground when the second knee landed.

The ref didn't and had to make the call there and then. Even Rogan said it was illegal at first so I cant hold the referee at fault for the initial call. They cant be right all the time. It descended into complete stupidity after that. Considering what went on (doctors etc.) it was the right decision to end it there but the way they got to that point was farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Johnson by KO/TKO
    Django99 wrote: »
    Yeah that's true he was trying to draw the foul, but the ref should still have corrected the mistake as soon as he realised.

Yeah if he'd been more assertive it would have been a different story but referee's are treading on thin ice when doctors get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cormier by Decision
    What a shambles. I hate when fighters try and touch the ground to draw the foul, you fully deserve a knee in the head for doing that. Then Rumble goes out on that performance, so disappointing as he's such a beast. Both of them looked wrecked, the bad cuts must have played a part.

Moose was all class repeatedly telling his corner to stop celebrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

DC cant have long left either. 38 needs to get as many fights in as possible in the next 2 years.

He's going to be in a wheelchair soon though all that training over the last 25 years. His body must be running on fumes. Man will be built out of titanium when they replace all his joints.

Manuwa, Jones, Maybe a crack at the HW belt win or lose. As many Huge paydays as possible.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    What a shambles. I hate when fighters try and touch the ground to draw the foul, you fully deserve a knee in the head for doing that. Then Rumble goes out on that performance, so disappointing as he's such a beast. Both of them looked wrecked, the bad cuts must have played a part.

Moose was all class repeatedly telling his corner to stop celebrating.

Yeah it's a loophole that fighters try to exploit. I'm not sure the rule is really needed anyway. Is a knee to a downed opponent any more dangerous than a head kick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I just watched the main card on some Russian language stream. For the Weidman fight you could clearly hear the conversations that were happening in the octagon between all the main parties so it was a bit easier to kinda see how the whole thing came to pass.
    So Miragliotta stopped it and goes and checks to see if Weidman is ok. He realises that he's possibly concussed so brings in the male doctor in. He then goes over and warns Mousasi about kneeing someone whos got their hands on the ground. He also asks officials outside "Can you look at a replay for me".

He then goes back to the doctor and Weidmann. The doctor tells him "He doesn't know what day it is". Miragliotta then goes back outside where John McCarthy tells him the knees were actually legal. Maragliotta tells Big John "He doesn't know what day it is. That means he's going to lose this fight". Big John replies "Tell him that".

Miragliotta then comes back in, tells Weidmann that the knees were actually legal. Miraglotta then asks someone else how much time is left in the round and tells Weidmann that he's got "3: 13 left" (which is actually incorrect as that's how long was gone in the round). All this time Weidmann has been sitting on the ground looking dazed.

After hearing this he gets up off the mat realising he's going to have to continue. The male doctor starts asking him some questions. He doesn't look happy and calls a second (female) doctor in. They consult and she calls over Miraglotta and basically backs up the other doctor saying that he can't continue. At this point Miraglotta rather then accept their decision starts questioning Weidmann himself "You don't know what day it is?". Weidmann replies that it's Saturday. Miraglotta turns to the doctors as if to say to them that it's all good. He then starts to say to them that there's only a minute and a half left in the round.

After that he calls Weidman over for more questioning. The male doctor looks at the female doctor. She doesn't take her eyes off of Weidmann the whole time. Miraglotta asks for clarification from outside again on how much time is left. At this stage he's really putting pressure on the doctor's to at least see the round out. While he's away the female doctor approaches Weidmann and starts talking to him one-on-one. She turns away and the male doctor tells Miraglotta they're calling it and he goes in and waves his hands ending the bout.

Under the circumstances I think the doctors were right to end it. I know it's not popular to end fights especially since concussed people look to be physically fit to continue but at the end of the day they're doctors and Weidmann had a brain injury.

As for Miraglotta. He was in a tough spot. It took a few replays for people to realise that the knees were legal. He had to make a call in real time. Had he not stopped the fight and it subsequently turned out that the knees were illegal then people would be giving him grief for helping Mousasi. My main gripe with him is that once he realised that the knees were legal he basically tried to pressure the doctor's into getting the fight to continue. I think had it just been the male doctor he would have buckled but the female doctor stood her ground and should be applauded for it.

Advertisement