Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everesting Ticknock - July 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Thanks WA! I am already in contact with the kind messenger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Might be available for sweeping duty Thursday.....Will confirm. Phone number pm'd to you.
    Alek you should be resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Daveoshea_

Hi Alex,

Best of luck on Friday, we are traveling to visit family Friday so doubtful I'll be available to pop over !
    Looks like you have plenty of mates on board to ride a bit and add to the craic of it ...that was in large part what made it fun for me !
    It also looks like you have plenty training in the legs so my advise would be to do what you always do (ie. don't be changing gear, food ect...the only unknown should be the meters accent) and don't assume it will get really tough at a certain stage as you might get what you wish for !
    I would rather be thinking " I've done the training, this is going to go very well and be very enjoyable and then it will ! If it does get tough you will be able to dig deep as youv'e done the training anyway ! 
    I would advise to minimize the stops as time will add up quickly when you stop !
    Keep her lite, and may the road rise to meet you  !

Dave

https://www.strava.com/activities/380842068

Cheers Dave, I really appreciate advice from the man who has been there and done that. I am not afraid of it now, the overall feeling is that I just want it to be over already ;) Of course 6000m+ is uncharted waters for me, but I know there will be someone around to pull me from the depths if I start sinking! I also have my secret motivational trick that I can't share yet (or else it won't work) but it has helped me a few times in the past.

BTW, on MB200 I met a very friendly chap (Andreu?) that was doing the Everesting with you - following his advice I'll take a few ibuprofens with me... he had to stop around 7000m due to back pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Didn't think I'd be able to make it butility now it looks like I'll be able to pop along to lend my support, bring some supplies and do a few legs

• Advertisement

What size tires are you using btw? I have a load of 32er tubes that I'm now no longer going to need

GP4000II 28mm, roughly 31mm on the rim. What is a 32er?

Alek wrote: »
    GP4000II 28mm, roughly 31mm on the rim. What is a 32er?

Hybrid size

Right, I get it now. Thanks, but have plenty spare tubes myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Fair play Alek and best of luck, you'll be flying for the CX season!!!

• Advertisement

you'll be flying for the CX season

I doubt so, totally different kind of effort... but we'll see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Pine needles have cleared up a good deal since last up there. Maybe a small section just before the corner may need a quick sweep but otherwise there's a clear path under the trees.
    Forgot about the club league Thursday so won't be able to make it up. Hope to drop by Friday. ☺

Great, thanks for the update Taxman. I'll go there tomorrow nevertheless , to check things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Great, thanks for the update Taxman. I'll go there tomorrow nevertheless , to check things out.

Why not ring the local council, tell them what you are going to be doing, and ask them if there is any chance of sending one of the street sweeper trucks up that way tomorrow?

Also, I will see you on Friday morning. I've decided to give myself the day off to cycle over and do a few ascents with you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Why not ring the local council, tell them what you are going to be doing, and ask them if there is any chance of sending one of the street sweeper trucks up that way tomorrow?

Also, I will see you on Friday morning. I've decided to give myself the day off to cycle over and do a few ascents with you.

Dont think a street sweep truck could physically get up there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

godtabh wrote: »
    Dont think a street sweep truck could physically get up there

That bad, huh? I might have to change my "few ascents" pledge so...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That bad, huh? I might have to change my "few ascents" pledge so...

Just the vehicle the use. Not powerful enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The guys might be laughing until next week too.
    - Hey Mick, this lad rang and asked us to sweep the leaves and twigs out from under the trees, in a forest!

Guys, I need to visit my son's school tomorrow at 12. I'll be on Ticknock for some sweeping between 10 and 11ish so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I am bikeless this week unfortunately , its in the shop getting a job done until Friday at some stage. I will try and get out to you at some stage if its ready to be picked up in time, will likely be towards the end of the day though.

• Advertisement

Is the road up that way doable on a road bike lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Hi all,

Slightly off topic but you guys would be in the know. Anyone know what time the car park closes at at Ticknock? The internet is telling me 8pm but I was there the other evening and plenty of people just setting off after I burst myself getting back to the car for 8!

I think I've seen a sign with 10pm at the lower gate, but I'm not 100% sure.
    Is the road up that way doable on a road bike lads?

Jaysus, I hope so!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

the car park closes at 10 in the summer, though i was up there at 9:50 last night and there were still plenty of parked cars up there. the pine-needles arent too bad at the moment, there are lines you can ride where there arent any at all. just the one or two big forest bends you'd need to take care on..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Guys, I need to visit my son's school tomorrow at 12. I'll be on Ticknock for some sweeping between 10 and 11ish so.

I'll be there for about 10.15 tomorrow. I have an oul broken sweeping brush that fits in my bag.

On Friday I'll also be there about 6.30am all going to plan for a few reps before work and then again as previous planned about 10am. I'll have about an hour and 15 mins before work so we can get about 10 reps in.

I might pop along with the kids after work
    and have our Friday McDonald's up there. I'll bring along a Big Mac for you :)

Irishrover, what can I say, you're a star!

What time do you plan to finish on Friday?

I'll be there in the morning for a bit and maybe in the evening depending on when you finish.

Do you need a lift home (not sure if I can help with that though!)

The plan is to finish between 9 and 10pm. Technically I need a lift (with all the stuff) but somehow I haven't thought of it yet! If it won't suit anyone I'll just order a taxi to the lower gate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

The plan is to finish between 9 and 10pm. Technically I need a lift (with all the stuff) but somehow I haven't thought of it yet! If it won't suit anyone I'll just order a taxi to the lower gate :)

Won't be able to give you a lift home but if it's nothing to expensive you could stash it and I'd grab it over the weekend

• Advertisement

Well, there will be a spare wheel and some tools... but worry not, I'll organize something.

Advertisement