Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everesting Ticknock - July 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

godtabh wrote: »
    Can any one offer him a lift. I'd said I'd try but would like a plan b

I can, it'll mean leaving my own bike at home though cos won't fit two without risking a scratch. That'll mean I can't do any repeats with him... darn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Its looking like 8pm for finishing from the horses mouth all going well...
    Even got two ascents done on my penny farthing...

Ps..He's already thinking and talking about the next version....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I can, it'll mean leaving my own bike at home though cos won't fit two without risking a scratch. That'll mean I can't do any repeats with him... darn :pac:

If I know a time he is expected to finish I'll have s better idea

I hope to be back over before he finishes...
    I've a spare mtb (correction warhorse) in my boot I can loan you lollipop...
    If I get back I can also be a lift home for Alek as well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

colm18 wrote: »
    Ah, I see Godtabh said he's going from the upper gate to the top - I thought he was starting from a different spot. 67 probably right so.

Taking a conservative look at the elevation min (133) and max (446) values recorded by Sunsets on Tuesday's earlier support efforts (Strava link) I work it out as:

8848 metres required
    446-313 gained per iteration = 133
    8848 / 133 = 66.52

Using this morning's pace as as guide, with no stops it would take about 14 hours = 19:20 finish.

So assuming no mechanicals (or bodyanicals), some time between 8 and 9 ???

Go Alek !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭secman

Go Alek Go, you won't able able to listen to a clock for a long time..... ticknock, ticknock , ticknock........

I hope to be back over before he finishes...
    I've a spare mtb (correction warhorse) in my boot I can loan you lollipop...
    If I get back I can also be a lift home for Alek as well.....

I reckon I'd get both bikes into the car if we remove the wheels. I'm struggling with time though, I have 16 cv's in front of me that need screening calls and salespeople love to yap

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Got destroyed on the ascent by a miniature Jack Russell with stubby legs.

VAc077r.gif

We met him at 43 reps and 5300m(?) climbed. Flying up and down. Couldnt have got a better day for it. Some man for one man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

We need to petition the Boards management team to commission a one off Boards Polka Dot jersey for our King of the Mountain!

Go Alek Go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just popped over and spoke with him there. He's feeling it a bit but going well. 6000m done. Colm18 and P-1 with him at the moment.
    I don't know if I admire his bravery or pity his insanity but fair fücks to him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Just popped over and spoke with him there. He's feeling it a bit but going well. 6000m done. Colm18 and P-1 with him at the moment.
    I don't know if I admire his bravery or pity his insanity but fair fücks to him :D

Latest extrapolations (but are my numbers right?):

6,000 meters in about 10.5 hours would give 15.5 for the full 8848

Or finishing about 20:50 ish ...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lewotsil

Just found this thread now, don't know Alek or anyone involved but I am in awe all the same.
    Ar aghaidh libh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

About 6600m in at this stage and still going strong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Rain on the north side - has it reached ticknock?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not so heavy in city centre

Rain on the north side - has it reached ticknock?

Tiny shower here (other side of the 50 from ticknock). I'd guess its still dry with Alek.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ED E wrote: »
    Tiny shower here (other side of the 50 from ticknock). I'd guess its still dry with Alek.

He was expecting rain around 8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

9 reps left and he is with 6 riders so he ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 joatumas

9 reps left and he is with 6 riders so he ok

He has only 5 riders left now ;)
    Maybe 10 more reps?
    One of the garmins is starting to fail, but the other one is still recording

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Plastik

TK2CTZsl.jpg

Things were going well over 7,000m in! Savage effort.

• Advertisement

(From the GoPro at 5k KM)
    ozx7caJ.gif

Alek said he will be finished @9 if anyone is collecting him. I have my two kids with me so I couldn't hang on that late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ED E wrote: »
    (From the GoPro at 5k KM)
    ozx7caJ.gif

He seemed to be stuck in some type of groundhog day vortex there. Did he get out ok?

I'll
    Be struggling to get up there for 9. If he is struggling for a left I can be up there a bit after 9

• Registered Users Posts: 22 floodser

Just dropped up to see how he is getting on. He is still flying with 5 or 6 domestiques to lend their support. Expects to be finished at 9. Very impressive.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1083340373

godtabh wrote: »
    I'll
    Be struggling to get up there for 9. If he is struggling for a left I can be up there a bit after 9

Im on the way so no bother with a lift thats if he wants one......:D

Im on the way so no bother with a lift thats if he wants one......:D

Grand I'll let him know.

I've sent him a text saying I'm available if no one else is but just won't be there till maybe 9:20/:30 if I'm needed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Have to say that is a perfect road to try an Everest on. Chapeau and it was a pleasure sharing the road for some of it.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1083279296

• Advertisement

I can get up to give a lift but I'd only be able to leave D8 in the next 20 mins

Advertisement