Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everesting Ticknock - July 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Alek is it all steady state training you are doing?

I'd be inclined to throw in one very hard short session a week,

Steady (135HR climbing) or moderate (155HR) only. I don't have heart nor mind to do full-on efforts to be honest, the closest to max HR I went was when pulling 2 kids in the trailer up that fecking climb. Twice ;)

[...] pulling the trailer with the kids on a couple of spins. Does this help with the training or do you not factor that at all?

Its hard to tell the effect of this in the whole picture, but it feels certainly different - slow and much more muscle effort even while being in lower gear (30x36). I don't know if I would be able to do it thrice in row, legs would possibly melt in a puddle of jelly.

I certainly consider it part of the training however! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Alek wrote: »

Mick Byrne 200 (extended) and Evil 200 are coming though.
    Couple of repeats of Kilmashogue at the end for good measure? 😂

Almost ;-) I was thinking ticknock before and kippure on the way, to top it up to a nice 4600m

Haven't updated the thread for quite long time, lots of things was happening in life, but managed to keep training more or less to the plan. Done Mick Byrne 200 Extra (4600m), Evil 200 (5300m) and recently Wicklow Way on MTB (4500m). I don't feel ready, wasn't really expecting to be, but I know that further training won't change much.

The provisional date for my attempt is

FRIDAY the 14th

You're all welcome to come and watch me suffer :)

If the forecast changes and I'll be forced to postpone, I'll update the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Haven't updated the thread for quite long time, lots of things was happening in life, but managed to keep training more or less to the plan. Done Mick Byrne 200 Extra (4600m), Evil 200 (5300m) and recently Wicklow Way on MTB (4500m). I don't feel ready, wasn't really expecting to be, but I know that further training won't change much.

The provisional date for my attempt is

FRIDAY the 14th

You're all welcome to come and watch me suffer :)

If the forecast changes and I'll be forced to postpone, I'll update the thread.

Is that this Friday?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What time are you starting at?

5 or 6, depending if I'll get a good sleep or not... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alek - if you still need the Garmin out front mounts, the Garmin 500 and Gomadic charger let me know. I can meet you probably on Wednesday/Thursday.

(I'm working on Friday unfortunately so won't make it over to see you suffer).

WA - Ill send you PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Plastik

This Friday? I'll swing by on my way home from work for a rep!

I'll swing by on my way home from work for a rep!

The question is: can you climb slow enough? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Ill start at the top of excuses.

1) Head cold,feeling dead rough.
    2)Two half working bikes ATM
    3)Can't get the day off with short notice as 2 others are off this week.

But i'll be up on my lunch spin so can give about 1.5 hours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you need anything in the Mornjng let me know. I'll either be up and out in the bike or I can bring some supplies to you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Alek - if you still need the Garmin out front mounts, the Garmin 500 and Gomadic charger let me know. I can meet you probably on Wednesday/Thursday.

(I'm working on Friday unfortunately so won't make it over to see you suffer).

Lads, if i helps I can meet up with WA out here in Swords and drop the bits to Alek who lives close enough to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ooh, I'll try and come down before work so. You'd be up and down twice in the time it takes me to get half way up I'd say

I could also offer some out front mounts possibly.

Don't worry, I'll be going slowly, 8kph or so... So far so good in the equipment department, but thanks anyway :)

If you need anything in the Mornjng let me know. I'll either be up and out in the bike or I can bring some supplies to you

Actually when I think of it... since I decided to do it singlespeed the gearing is not the best for flats - even to get there from home would take me more than an hour on 38x40. Also I will have a big pack of food, water and spares and the person who declared to help me with it can't do it unfortunately. I don't have a car myself.

So: can I ask someone for a lift in the very early morning?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Actually when I think of it... since I decided to do it singlespeed the gearing is not the best for flats - even to get there from home would take me more than an hour on 38x40. Also I will have a big pack of food, water and spares and the person who declared to help me with it can't do it unfortunately. I don't have a car myself.

So: can I ask someone for a lift in the very early morning?

I can give you a lift. PM me your address/when you want to be collected and we'll try and sort something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Best of luck. I'll be watching this lunacy with keen interest come Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 joatumas

Hey, I've been silently following this post for a couple months. I'll come say hello and maybe try one or two reps before work :)

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

godtabh wrote: »
    I can give you a lift. PM me your address/when you want to be collected and we'll try and sort something

I will do the traditional "next in line" in case godtabh cant oblige. I have a towbar and rack..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Don't forget the insect repellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    Lads, if i helps I can meet up with WA out here in Swords and drop the bits to Alek who lives close enough to me.
    crosstownk - are you working tomorrow? If so I'll try to get over to you during the day.

I'm working myself but can't make arrangements at this stage as I need to see what the lie of the land is tomorrow before slipping out for a while. I'll PM you in the morning.

Don't forget the insect repellent!

Sunscreen yes, but I never seen many midges around there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

crosstownk - are you working tomorrow? If so I'll try to get over to you during the day.

I'm working myself but can't make arrangements at this stage as I need to see what the lie of the land is tomorrow before slipping out for a while. I'll PM you in the morning.

Yep - I'm here all day from 9 to 5:30. I'll PM you my phone number - just text/call if you can make it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

Was up there last week on a damp evening are the pine needles still on the road, had a hairy moment on one of the corners on the way down with them?

I was even thinking of coming there on Thursday with a broom and sweeping this bloody switchback! May actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sunscreen yes, but I never seen many midges around there?
    One evening a few years ago I got about 400 midge bites at Ticknock in only a couple of hours. I didn't know it was possible to have that many bites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

I was even thinking of coming there on Thursday with a broom and sweeping this bloody switchback! May actually do it.

Yeah thinking about when you're a bit tired near the end they'd be an unwanted complication

Advertisement