Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everesting Ticknock - July 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

1300m before work? :eek:

and there was i was proud of my 450m yesterday!

My working theory is that Alek is some sort of escaped military android prototype living incognito.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Loving this thread and looking forward to seeing how it goes. If I'm cycling to/from work that day I might even spin over. Very best of luck with your effort either way! :)

I'm curious as to the effort required for Everesting. I wonder is it possible to compare with other events? Ok I'm guessing it's going to take more out of the body than say a typical marathon. I wonder is it harder than the likes of a full Ironman? Bottom line, how much effort do you foresee in the preparation? Will you literally be hill-climbing every day for the next few months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

g0g wrote: »
    Loving this thread and looking forward to seeing how it goes. If I'm cycling to/from work that day I might even spin over. Very best of luck with your effort either way! :)

I'm curious as to the effort required for Everesting. I wonder is it possible to compare with other events? Ok I'm guessing it's going to take more out of the body than say a typical marathon. I wonder is it harder than the likes of a full Ironman? Bottom line, how much effort do you foresee in the preparation? Will you literally be hill-climbing every day for the next few months?

Having done a few reps with lads who've completed an Everest and having talked to a few of them after, they don't think it's physically any harder or easier than a 300-400km spin. The tough bit is the mental side of it where you've to ride the same piece stretch of 2-3km road for pretty close to an entire day. I've been told you go to some pretty dark places mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sarz91 wrote: »
    ... they don't think it's physically any harder or easier than a 300-400km spin...
    I would consider an 'Everest' to be multiple times more difficult than doing a 300/400k ride.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would consider an 'Everest' to be multiple times more difficult than doing a 300/400k ride.

Mentally yes physically maybe not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

godtabh wrote: »
    I meant both!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've done 325k with approx 4000k climbing once before. Long day in the saddle, and quite tiring on the head... After a few weeks of hill training I can say that 190k / 8848m will be multiple times harder in any way. I trust good company will make it bearable mentally, but legs will never forgive me.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Bravo! Count me in for a few laps of support. I promise to talk about anything other than hill climbing!

I promise to talk about anything other than hill climbing

Good one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Having never done either I cant really comment but that's just what I've been told. I guess it's different for different people maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Having never done either I cant really comment but that's just what I've been told. I guess it's different for different people maybe.

Longest I've managed to date was ~250k solo on a reasonably flat route, and I personally found it much less taxing that a very hilly route of ~150k. Even a few reps of something very steep can be murderous, particularly if you're already tired. I'd consider Everesting a huge challenge, possibly more so than an Iron man, as you have little opportunity to take your foot off the gas. Once the descents are steep too, you really don't have much respite and its the same muscles under pressure all the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The hardest thing I ever did on the bike was last years evil. 208km and 4000m+ in climbing. The conditions were so bad that I climbed off the bike a few times to quit. A few mins later and a kick up the arse I'd be on the way again.

The body was willing but the mind was cracking first.

That's why I think it's more of a mental battle but clearly very very though physical. You aren't just going to turn up and do it. A lot of prep will be needed.

Out of interest do you have a training plan for this? I assume it will require a lot of hill reps and a lot of endurance rides. Sounds like a very big commitment

My training plan is in the first post, so far I manage to stick to it quite well. Unfortunately don't have much time for endurance training, but I've read blogs of other accomplished everesters that didn't have much either. Lack of long-term energy management is my biggest worry at the moment, and it's not possible to train this within 3-4hours I usually have for my rides...

Alek wrote: »
    My training plan is in the first post, so far I manage to stick to it quite well. Unfortunately don't have much time for endurance training, but I've read blogs of other accomplished everesters that didn't have much either. Lack of long-term energy management is my biggest worry at the moment, and it's not possible to train this within 3-4hours I usually have for my rides...

Just re reading it. It will be some achievement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

godtabh wrote: »
    not that i know what i'm talking about (has never stopped me before) but on an everest attempt, you'd surely be much more likely to face a situation where you physically cannot turn the pedals any more?

I'm accepting this possibility....

111km / 3444m training today, most with Irishrover99.

1. I was able to go up Ticknock a few times with acceptable pace (~9kph) and keep the heart rate in low 130s. Well, until Irishrover99 arrived after 1300m and raised the pace for the rest of the spin, moaning how bad his form is recently ;) Still, good progress in slowing down and a very meditative experience.

2. Bananarittos are new bananadogs: a lot of peanut butter, some jam and whole banana wrapped in a tortilla. Easier to eat, one every two hours. I can't get bored of them, although I was craving eggs and sausages for the rest of the day ;)

3. My own form is definitely improving - this time I was able to function almost normally for the rest of the day (shopping, kids, stuff). I could feel a bit of fatigue but head was clear and legs alright. Knees hurt a little, and I got one mini leg cramp in the same muscle as on Evil. I'm worried a bit about this.

4. I still can't remember about drinking. 1,5 bidons for the whole ride was not nearly enough, I lost almost 2 kilos....:eek: This time no feeling of dehydration though.

https://www.relive.cc/view/941531103
    https://www.strava.com/activities/941531103

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I got one mini leg cramp in the same muscle as on Evil. I'm worried a bit about this.
    4. I still can't remember about drinking. 1,5 bidons for the whole ride was not nearly enough, I lost almost 2 kilos....:eek: This time no feeling of dehydration though.

One should sort the other out or at least be a good indication of the cause.

You'll also need to be replacing electrolytes during the day which is usually easiest through one of those tabs high 5 or similar in a bidon or salt sticks. The latter is pretty rank.

Savage spin though well done. You look to be well on track. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

So I have decided to come out of the closet with my attempt at Everesting.

The climb (accepted by the hells500 guys ): https://www.strava.com/segments/14420672
    34 repeats without sleep, just under 200km and a tad over 8848m elevation. 10.000 calories and a pair or two of spare brake pads to burn off.

The exact day will be announced at later stage, it will be most likely Friday to avoid the human traffic which can get quite heavy on a sunny weekend, and to give myself two days of total rest after the ride. It has to be a dry one too, as descending 10% hill in the wet at the edge of exhaustion can end badly.

Biggest challenges:

1. Head. How to survive 16h doing the same climb?
    2. Food. How to consume 10000kcal while climbing without throwing your guts out?
    3. Body. How to pace myself?

After a few trial runs (4-5 reps) I settled on 34/34 gearing. I can do it easily on 38/32 with the heart rate not exceeding 150 (185 max), but I will need easier gears later in the day. I'm a natural spinner, and also I don't want to overload the muscles, as cramps nearly finished my ride by the end of Evil 200 in 2015.

The target heart rate for climbing is 150, average 120-130. I know I can go for hours and hours if I don't exceed that.

Planned training:
    April: 2x 1500m a week, plus one or two 150km / 4000m rides
    May: 2x2000m a week, one 150km / 4000m ride, Mick Byrne with Kippure thrown in (200km / approx 4000m)
    June: 1x2000m + 1x3000m a week + Evil 200 + one 150km / 4000m ride
    July: continued, than a week of rest, and boom.

Also, I will need some moral support on the day. I'd be very happy if some of you could join me for a couple of reps, especially in the afternoon, to talk my ears off, get sworn on, or keep silent if I ask to and just cycle along - in one word endure the dubious company of a mad man. I'm generally a nice guy but I don't know where an effort like that can take me ;)
    Just come across this post, you are either a machine or a head case(possibly both) I am amazed by your commitment prior to the event and the fact you do with with work & family to be getting on with as well

I wish you the very best for this, be safe. You will have to advise on what places your head goes to on the day.

Cap doffed in your direction.

A head case mostly :) Cheers, in fairness I wouldn't attempt it if my work wasn't so easy and my wife so understanding. Still, the whole training takes only 4-6h of the family time weekly, bike maintenance included. The trick is to cycle when they sleep ;) I guess most (normal) men go out with their mates more than this.

• Advertisement

A head case mostly :) Cheers, in fairness I wouldn't attempt it if my work wasn't so easy and my wife so understanding. Still, the whole training takes only 4-6h of the family time weekly, bike maintenance included. The trick is to cycle when they sleep ;) I guess most (normal) men go out with their mates more than this.

To have any family/work/hobby balance for cycling this has to be done especially with young kids

I know you know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Just added you on Strava, Alek. If nothing else it'll serve as some motivation to get my arse out of bed on a Sunday and look to the hills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

If I could follow you a second time on strava I would, this is class and fair play for even attempting it :eek:

I've always thought about everesting but I don't think I have the commitment, mental toughness, or the courage to attempt it. I'll share my opinion nonetheless though :)

I understand your reasoning for going for the segment you have chosen, but I still have to respectfully disagree. In my opinion after 8/10/12+ hours of climbing, you will be physically and mentally exhausted, at which point the descent will be as much of a struggle as the ascent. When you reach this point I think your choice of hill could become an issue, its not a friendly one to descend.

I would personally go for this segment https://www.strava.com/segments/631152. At nearly 9% it is steep enough that you wouldnt have to be cycling 300k on the day, it is constant in gradient the whole way up with no major spikes in gradient, meaning you could more easily set a sustainable tempo. It is also a perfect surface and a nice and easy road to descend. The decent would be much easier, and quicker which could save you an hour or more over the course of the everest attempt. On top of this there are natural gathering points at the top and bottom where people could be located for support, while there is also a couple of spots on the way up where people could be dotted for support. There is also lots of forests on the route for ahem 'natural breaks'.

I really hope you succeed though, and if I am in the country at the time I would love to join you for a couple of reps of the hill and help out in any way I can :) Good luck!

Hey Glass Prison!

I really appreciate your comment, yet I'll stick to my segment. I know both roads by heart now, and in fainess going down Cruagh, with all the blind turns you have there and the temptation to gain speed, is much scarier option for me when I envision the state of myself after 12 hours of climbing.

Going down Ticknock will certainly be a struggle, however as I expect people to be there, I have no other option but to stay alert. I don't mind going down slowly, holding brakes most of the time... My average descending speed is 30kph when people are there, which you can say is not much at all for 9% gradient :)

I am afraid that on Cruagh Road I would just let go at some stage, gain proper speed and hit one of the corners too sharp being tired... or a car that I hoped would not be there.

I had a few quiet hours to re-think this while training this morning.

Now I think I may adjust the plan a little.

I am leaning towards starting the segment at the upper gate - this would leave out the most dangerous parts of the route: going against one way traffic vs shoity surface and loads of turns, parked cars, two gates, normal road traffic etc. Also, the gradient is very even as is the tarmac... done the shorter version 7 times today and it was niiiice.

https://www.strava.com/segments/14646562

Now, in order to adhere to rule #5, I think I'll attempt it on a 34/34 singlespeed :D

This will be around 68 reps and 180km/8848m

Anyone has an old worn out MTB 11-34 or 11-36 cassette with an alu spider so I can cannibalize the largest cog? It can be any speed - 8, 9, 10 or 11 will do. (Spider is needed to protect the freehub from the torque being applied to huge single ring)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Good call Alek - I think that first part of your original segment would have been a nightmare (it is even on rep #1) :p

Since starting the thread:

Week 1 - 5664m (single ride of 3039m)
    Week 2 - 3189m
    Week 3 - 6687m (single ride of 3444m)
    Week 4 - 3522m
    Week 5 - 5240m
    Week 6 - 4613m
    Week 7 - 4496m

So far so good, but I'm quite behind the schedule with big rides. Mick Byrne 200 (extended) and Evil 200 are coming though.

After 7 weeks of regular slow climbing 1500m 2-3x a week, I don't feel tired at all after such training. Endurance is rising, I'm no longer scared of 8848m but I feel huge respect to the effort required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Since starting the thread:

Week 1 - 5664m (single ride of 3039m)
    Week 2 - 3189m
    Week 3 - 6687m (single ride of 3444m)
    Week 4 - 3522m
    Week 5 - 5240m
    Week 6 - 4613m
    Week 7 - 4496m

So far so good, but I'm quite behind the schedule with big rides. Mick Byrne 200 (extended) and Evil 200 are coming though.

After 7 weeks of regular slow climbing 1500m 2-3x a week, I don't feel tired at all after such training. Endurance is rising, I'm no longer scared of 8848m but I feel huge respect to the effort required.

Alek is it all steady state training you are doing?

I'd be inclined to throw in one very hard short session a week, just to keep that element of your fitness there also. It won't d any harm to your endurance/efficiency either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Out of interest, I've noticed on Strava you pulling the trailer with the kids on a couple of spins.

Does this help with the training or do you not factor that at all? The nearest I can equate it to is running with a tyre tied behind me for rugby training!

Advertisement